Community Backlog Blitz Season 4 - Runs July 1 through September 30 with a raffle at the end

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
What a cool idea! Picked four games that I've kept putting off. Maybe this'll be the incentive that gets me to finally complete these.
If I finish even one, I'll be happy :face-with-tears-of-joy:
  • Disco Elysium
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Dishonored: DotO
  • Wuppo Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Last edited:
Reactions: Mutant Strawberry

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Think I miiight switch out Mushroom 11 with Ghost of Tsushima. I can see myself getting frustated quickly with this game :cryblob:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Started Battle Brigade Chef and didn't like it.
That was unfortunately my experience as well back when I attempted it in a previous blitz. I like everything about the game except the gameplay. (The duels, the puzzles are fine).

---
Thinking about swapping Tomb Raider II with Earth's Dawn. Tomb Raider was just a "hm, not sure what to put there, might as well continue with that series" filler, but I've recently got back into Earth's Dawn and am having fun with it.
I probably jinxed it now though, because apparently it has quite the difficulty spikes (already came across some) and it may or may not get too frustrating at one point, but we'll see :D

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
That was unfortunately my experience as well back when I attempted it in a previous blitz. I like everything about the game except the gameplay. (The duels, the puzzles are fine).

---
Maybe I'm getting old, but the more I played it the more things it introduced to me and I felt it was too many things to keep track.
And the time constraint during duels didn't make things better

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Astroneer a little bit ago, that's 2/5 done.

:longswordblob2:

Planning to play the NES games next and leave Lightning Returns last, since I'm also playing Death Stranding so that's my "big game" right now.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
I dropped Ori and changed it for Death Stranding (just to clarify, I'm nowhere near the ending of the game, since I'm on chapter 3 out of like 14?, I think).

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
I'm going to change Flashback to "LEGO - The Lord of the Rings" instead since I couldn't get my gamepad to work with Flashback 🙄

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Why was Dead Rising 3 so criticized on release? It's easily the best game of the franchise (I haven't played 4)

You have enough time to explore the world, save survivors, try challenges, get collectibles, drive many vehicles, the game encourages experimenting with weapons and food combos, decent graphics, even more zombies than the previous games.

The only bad thing about the game is that it's way easier than previous entries, however this one can be enjoyed by people of all skills, I imagine that playing the other games must have been a PITA for many people with resetting the progress of story mode to earn XP as a main feature of the game.

Reactions: lashman
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Futaleufu I've enjoyed every game in the series. I absolutely loved the first and thought the second was pretty great, too. I really did prefer the time constraints in those two games and it got me to play through and essentially master the first game. The third and fourth change things up, so that did make fans grumpy (like me), but after digging in I thought they were equally fun in their own way, even if they did get away from what I enjoyed about the original two. The biggest change to me is the lack of timer but also the reliance (and ease) of using the combo weapons. I seem to recall using them constantly in 3 but I know for sure in 4 I essentially never was using anything but combo weapons. But yeah, if you like 3 you'll probably enjoy 4.

I completed Torchlight II, so one Blitz game complete. My fun started at around a 7 and had a steady decline to around 3 or 4 by the end. I seem to recall that matched my feelings for the first game and honestly many games in the genre. Once you start your build you feel locked in, which then also can limit gear you want to equip. Difficulty ramps up a ton by the end so it was mostly just run forward, pop every skill cooldown, clear a section and die, restart the floor, and repeat until I make it off that floor and do it all over again.

Also, just realized that while I added all Shovel Knight DLC as one slot on the Blitz I did so thinking there were two. Completely forgot they released the third, and final, campaign. So now I have all three of those to get through. Oops!

Reactions: Cacher

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Futaleufu I've enjoyed every game in the series. I absolutely loved the first and thought the second was pretty great, too. I really did prefer the time constraints in those two games and it got me to play through and essentially master the first game. The third and fourth change things up, so that did make fans grumpy (like me), but after digging in I thought they were equally fun in their own way, even if they did get away from what I enjoyed about the original two. The biggest change to me is the lack of timer but also the reliance (and ease) of using the combo weapons. I seem to recall using them constantly in 3 but I know for sure in 4 I essentially never was using anything but combo weapons. But yeah, if you like 3 you'll probably enjoy 4.

I completed Torchlight II, so one Blitz game complete. My fun started at around a 7 and had a steady decline to around 3 or 4 by the end. I seem to recall that matched my feelings for the first game and honestly many games in the genre. Once you start your build you feel locked in, which then also can limit gear you want to equip. Difficulty ramps up a ton by the end so it was mostly just run forward, pop every skill cooldown, clear a section and die, restart the floor, and repeat until I make it off that floor and do it all over again.

Also, just realized that while I added all Shovel Knight DLC as one slot on the Blitz I did so thinking there were two. Completely forgot they released the third, and final, campaign. So now I have all three of those to get through. Oops!
I played the first Torchlight game and somewhere during half of it I started to get so bored and just wished it to be finished soon. I felt the same when I played Book of Demons 😒 perhaps dungeon crawler ish game isn't for me ...

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I played the first Torchlight game and somewhere during half of it I started to get so bored and just wished it to be finished soon. I felt the same when I played Book of Demons 😒 perhaps dungeon crawler ish game isn't for me ...
I still think the game that has handled everything best in the genre is Diablo III. I know many fans prefer the previous game far more and people have had many complaints about Diablo III but for me I found it the most fun, I loved how it handled the ability system, and it largely had the best feel and freedom to play how you want. There's just plenty to find and do if you spend the time to explore everywhere. Torchlight II, and other games in the genre, often miss a lot of that.

I'm still curious for Torchlight III, and I hope that it being eight years later (and after other games are competition) that it'll be improved in many ways but at the same time Torchlight II felt a lot like how I remembered Torchlight I, so I'm a bit worried they won't change the third game up enough. I'm sure I'll find out eventually.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Each campaign (dlc) is treated as a separate game. There are totally four campaigns, including Shovel Knight itself. So you could play one of the campaigns as one game.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Each campaign (dlc) is treated as a separate game. There are totally four campaigns, including Shovel Knight itself. So you could play one of the campaigns as one game.
I did Shovel Knight originally when that was all there was to it. And on my own completion lists I'll count each campaign separately since they're full lengths and were made separately. But for the Blitz I'll only count it complete when I finish all three now.

On that note I started up as Plague Knight last night. I really wasn't into the feel of movement at first but I came to terms with it, one ability change improved it so far (the slow fall burst), and I've now finished through the Intro and King Knight's stage. The intro I remembered from Shovel Knight but the other levels I don't remember in a lot of detail so the actual layouts mostly feel fresh. My only concern now is if Specter and King Knight campaigns have largely the same level layouts or if they changed them up more for them. Even then with the big change in movement and weapons it still feels all new to me for now.

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
Finished my first Backlog Blitz game, Tonight We Riot! Twas a good time! Fairly short overall, but felt really nice to support these commie devs. Need more devs like them (and companies in general).
I'm probably going to switch out Man of Medan on my list, but not sure to what quite yet.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
Finished LEGO lord of the rings. Though I will continue to grind it to try to reach 100% completion ;)

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Ufouria: The Saga as my 3rd game. :dmcblob::dmcblob:

Still a great game, and boy do I love the Sunsoft sound.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Think I miiight switch out Mushroom 11 with Ghost of Tsushima. I can see myself getting frustated quickly with this game :cryblob:
Oh right I forgot I did this. Beat Ghost on the 22nd, really liked it! :thumbsupblob:

Next up is probably Yoku's Island Express! Been on quite the PS4 kick.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Completed Dead Rising 3, thats 2 out of 5. Very enjoyable, I even joined a random coop for a while. I still have to play the DLC, which I guess will be this weekend.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I know I've been slow but I picked out my games to play!

I'm also playing some other games on the side as well but those are ones i want to try and get done

Reactions: Spamlynguist
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
My Shovel Knight DLC pick is going strong. I've now completed Plague Knight and Specter Knight's campaigns. Just got King Knight's campaign. I started it up but I'm still pretty early into it. The focus on the card game doesn't really do as much for me but I could see myself getting into it more as I get deeper and get more unique cards. Right now I'm slim on strategy and kind of place things randomly until the match is nearly over and then hope I can use a couple strategic placements to win.

I'm really impressed by the effort put into these campaigns considering they were free additions for a huge portion of the audience for the game. I know they eventually raised the price and sold them all separately but that was after it already sold tons of copies for years. It's just nuts.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Think I'll swap out Digimon with Final Fantasy 12, im in a Final Fantasy mood.

That said, I've finished 3/5 games already:
Song of Saya: Way shorter than I expected. I thought about swapping it out for something a bit longer, but that would have been D4 and I finished that just afterwards anyway, so I didn't bother. As fascinating as it is disturbing.
Earth's Dawn: Ended up having a lot of fun with this. Vanillaware-like sidescroller Action RPG.
Skautfold: Moonless Knight: finished it just earlier today. Good game like all the other ones from this series. I'm looking forward to the next game.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I am currently in chapter 8 of 13 in Final Fantasy 13. So far this it is the game that feels not a Final Fantasy game of all games I have played in the series. (I have played through 1, 3-10

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
And now completed the Shovel Knight campaigns Plague of Shadows, Specter of Torment, and King of Cards. All three combined were a single slot for me on the Blitz (though I am counting each as a separate game completion on my own tracking list). Considering the amount of variety, the new content in the latter two campaigns, and just how much creativity they spread across all three the Shovel Knight Treasure Trove is an amazing package. I think many people played the original campaign, enjoyed it, but never returned to the others. You really should. But maybe take some breaks with other games between the campaigns. Despite them all played quite different they do start to wear on you just because the levels use the same tilesets and the music is often used between titles. By the end I'm ready to look at any other game.

That is now two of five completed. I think I'll play some other stuff before jumping into my next Blitz games.

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
Finished by 2nd Blitz game: Outer Wilds

I even went for all cheevos, which is not something I usually do, but this game deserved it. It was most excellent overall, I just loved it. I should probably return to Luigi's Mansion 3 shortly else I'll lose all motivation to continue.. I hate when that happens with games I was really enjoying

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
2/3 through Chapter 3 of Cold Steel 1 and already reached 45 hours of playtime. This game feels comparatively longer than the previous games due to longer traversal time. Enjoyed almost every minute even though Reyn carries a heavy vibe of generic harem lightnovels' protagonists. I will probably finish the first playthrough of the game by the end of August while tackling some smaller titles in-between.

Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Finished Ghos tof Tsushima yesterday

Overall it is a mixed bag for me.

First the positives: The game world is beautiful. While I find most of the landscapes pretty trite because it is different variatons of "slight hill" their use of foliage and especially colour. Don't think I ever used photo mode that much for shots I really like the perspective instead of jokey stuff. Really good stuff. In confunction with the draw distance you can get some incredible vistas while playing. And while I think most landscapes are boring there are some amazing places to see. Especially waterfalls. And with constant wind the world is always in motion and has a nice kinetic energy.

Another thing I really like is their guidance method through the world. While you have your typical open-world "open map, set marker, follow way there, do stuff" the hud for that is minimal. Where in other games you have your minimap with either GPS bringing you there directly or an arrow telling you which direction to go here your guidance system is the wind. It is either a subtle breeze with pollen nudging you into the right direction you can also summon a gust with a swipe on the touchpad of the DS4 to make it more visible for a moment.
Another aspect are from time to time golden birds will appear and guide you to either some cosmetic trinkets or something that would be a ? on your map. There are some problems where birds directly fly to it and you have to find a way around a mountain to get up or they get stuck on a bamboo grove or hut before being able to continue their path. But I really dug their diegetic methods to lead you through the world even though I don't really have a problem with non-diegetic methods.

Might also mention the quick load times even on a base PS4 for the initial load or even for fast traveling.

The next points could be negatives but I don't really think about them in that (at least for the most part) but rather as bland or "it is there because it has to be there but eh" points.

A thing I am indifferent about is the combat. It starts out okay. You have your evades, your parries, your light and heavy attacks. Standard stuff which at least most of the time works for me. It is not hard but works most of the time. There are additions like the ghost weapons which allow you to throw kunais, smoke bombs or light your sword on fire for some additonial tools to inflict doom onto your enemies. Maybe not exceptional but servicable.
They try to enhance it with different stances which are supposed to help you against the different enemy types (based on the weapon they are carrying) but it falls flat. For one with a missing targetting you might chance to the stance that helps against spear guys but you attack the sword dude standing next to him. Which is not that big of a problem since there is no penalty for attacking the wrong enemy type with a stance that isn't there to counter them.
Which brings me to my next point that it doesn't matter what stance you are in when fighting. Attacks are always as fast as they are in others (maybe a difference in the heavys). Every stance works for every one. No "I get in that stance and can build up stagger faster but damage output is reduced" or "my attacks deal more damage but they are slower so my timing has to be on point" considerations. Just nothing.
So every combat encounter plays out the same which can feel really repetetive after a while.

And because this is a AAA open-world game in the vein of a Far Cry 3 it of course has a skill tree. And like in every other game of its kind there are a handful of interesting things (which you can all unlock in the first few hours) in it and the vast majority is pointless filler that does nothing or is stuff which should've been unlocked from the beginning. And is not like they had no ideas to put actual useful stuff in there even if it would've been just passive stuff.
Other than the skill tree you have the armours which have different effects like dealing more damage or slower detection from enemies when in stealth. But since this is tied to the armour you get in situations where "oh shit! I just got spotted and need to fight. Let me pop into the menu and change my stealth armour to the armour that is more suitable to fighting" which feels like a baffling decision to make.
If character progression in these kind of games would be dropped nothing of value would be lost.

The sidequests are a mixed bag. Some are good, some are bad. Most revolve around the same flow where you have to go somewhere, examine a location, find some tracks, follow these tracks and then look what you have to do (mostly some killing). What are mostly good for the most part are the sidequests with named characters from the story. Without getting much into spoilers for the most part they are pretty good. Not great but good but most felt flat for me like a wet fart in the end. What I found good for almost all the way through were the Mythic Tales which start with a nice animation and setup and have a good payoff which results in in getting a special ability, armour or bow.
An approach of "less is more" that used just the named side characters and the mythic tales would've probably been better.

What made me legit mad though is the story (There will be spoilers). I can't comment on its portrayal of the samurai and how it plays into Japanese nationalists hands because I am no expert but after reading a few articles about it I believe it. For me, intentional or not, even as much broader this game is pretty close to what I have seen of war propaganda in general where the other is demonised and dehumanized, playing with dirty tricks, etc. and how people rise against it.
Apart from that the game is narratively frustrating to me. For almost 2 of its 3 acts it does next to nothing. Only in the end of Act 2 there is an interesting scene in which Jin, the main character succumbs to the persona of the Ghost, poisoning the enemy, much to the dismay of his uncle. It was a good scene and would've been better with setup because other than a few flashbacks in the beginning (and not even there) you never see a real conflict between the Samurai honour side of Jin and the Ghost. And after that they don't really do anything there apart from one dialogue choice while riding around which does nothing for the grand scheme of things. The other interesting aspect comes near the end is not further explored other than in two sentences in which your uncle says his punishment is he is supposed to kill you because you told the peasants to not listen to their leaders. Here they could've made an interesting conflict between the Ghost and the Shogun because the Shogun fears the Ghost because of how it threatens his own power. But nope, everything concentrates on the Mongol invasion. It is so frustrating and disappointing because they get almost to the points which are intersting but never explore them further.
It feels like they would benefitted from a system like they did in inFamous where depending on how play Jin's persona alters and the story changes a bit.

A few quick points: To many title cards for quests which lose their novelty after you have seen it like 20 times and still have another more to go. Same with the Fox shrines, Haiku spots (you can make some really dumb haikus in that which is neat), platform shrines, enemy camps (there is some bad design in them). The cinematography ranges from great because they can draw from their inspirations to mundane because they can't do it.

I wanted to like the game more than I did. I would call it comfort food because it is a typical open world game but it is fast food comfort food. Lots of wasted potential and too much of everything. At the same time "just checking out one more ?" is strong with it. Maybe my expectations were out of line because in the end it is AAA title.

Anyway, that is more than I wanted to write. Probably forgot something. Won't proof read for typos or grammar so when you stumble upon it sorry for that.

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Ori and the Blind Forrest done.

I liked it, but also quite underwhelmed as I think it is very overrated.
  • Jaba the hut exposition guy is pretty obnoxious and it never felt like it created or delivered much of an engaging narrative
  • Uncharted stupidity doesn't organically take what you learnt and deliver any gratifying gameplay. It's more memorise the set-pieces and yawn
  • Characters are pretty bland
  • The mood of the game is a bit overly cheerful / cliched for my tastes
  • Odd art choices here and there
  • Skill tree seemed some what lazy

On the other hand
  • Good world to explore and gradual progression of abilities.
  • There are some interesting sections that do take what you've learnt and challenges you to put it together in interesting ways.

Recommend the game, but just go in knowing it might not be gods gift of Metroidvania's for your tastes.

Reactions: C-Dub

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Ori and the Blind Forrest done.

I liked it, but also quite underwhelmed as I think it is very overrated.
  • Jaba the hut exposition guy is pretty obnoxious and it never felt like it created or delivered much of an engaging narrative
  • Uncharted stupidity doesn't organically take what you learnt and deliver any gratifying gameplay. It's more memorise the set-pieces and yawn
  • Characters are pretty bland
  • The mood of the game is a bit overly cheerful / cliched for my tastes
  • Odd art choices here and there
  • Skill tree seemed some what lazy

On the other hand
  • Good world to explore and gradual progression of abilities.
  • There are some interesting sections that do take what you've learnt and challenges you to put it together in interesting ways.

Recommend the game, but just go in knowing it might not be gods gift of Metroidvania's for your tastes.
I'm currently playing it and agree on everything.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Ori hating above makes me sad. I really enjoy both games.

Just completed my third Blitz game with Spec Ops: The Line. Gameplay was very average overall, with some neat moments here and there, but the story is what people really talk about with this game. I thought the big moment that seems to be what everyone mentions first really fell flat. Without any real player agency, and more shocking events in games over two years prior, I just kind of watched through that sequence with a blank expression. But there are some pretty neat story things that come around through to the end of the game. I did end up with a bad ending and completely disagree with what choice made at the end leads to each ending option, but I'll stick with what I got because I'll stand by the decision made. I also think there's a lot that could be picked apart about the storytelling after thinking back through it but it's not worth doing so.

I applaud the developers for trying something very different in a franchise nobody would have expected it from. Often you could see what they were going for but due to whatever reasons often they often hit foul balls instead of the out of the park homers they aimed for. But I sure appreciate their moxie.

This leaves me with Yoku's Island Express and Need For Speed Heat. Those should be a lot more lighthearted to get through!

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Ori hating above makes me sad. I really enjoy both games.

Just completed my third Blitz game with Spec Ops: The Line. Gameplay was very average overall, with some neat moments here and there, but the story is what people really talk about with this game. I thought the big moment that seems to be what everyone mentions first really fell flat. Without any real player agency, and more shocking events in games over two years prior, I just kind of watched through that sequence with a blank expression. But there are some pretty neat story things that come around through to the end of the game. I did end up with a bad ending and completely disagree with what choice made at the end leads to each ending option, but I'll stick with what I got because I'll stand by the decision made. I also think there's a lot that could be picked apart about the storytelling after thinking back through it but it's not worth doing so.

I applaud the developers for trying something very different in a franchise nobody would have expected it from. Often you could see what they were going for but due to whatever reasons often they often hit foul balls instead of the out of the park homers they aimed for. But I sure appreciate their moxie.

This leaves me with Yoku's Island Express and Need For Speed Heat. Those should be a lot more lighthearted to get through!
Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. I just feel this really needs to be emphasised more. It wasn't quite what I was expecting and didn't really step up as much as I wanted. Nevertheless, a good game.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Finally beat the original Call of Juarez. And I don't foresee it being played again any time soon. It shows its age in the worst ways. Interesting story, but god damn did it really need to iron out how some of ts mechanics worked before basing essential parts of the game progress around them.
That whip... never again.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Beat Eternal Senia. Free game but with decent gameplay and story. I am surprised by the endings:
There are three endings and I was caught in surprise that there is no "happy" ending. Two of them result in complete failure and the canon one is sad but hopeful. There is a sequel on smartphone but still being updated. I am going to play it once it is complete.
Enjoy my time with the game. Can't say anything regarding the translation as I play in original language (Traditional Chinese as it is made by Taiwanese). I see that there is a mod saying it fixes translation so English speakers can try it out.

Anyway, 2/5 done. Continue my adventure on Cold Steel soon. I have the urge to change Supraland Crash to something else as the game is still being updated by the developer. Let's see if I can a nice substitute from the library so I can leave it to future backlog blitz.
Watchdogs was a decent open world game but I never bothered playing the augmented reality missions.
Sorry for missing your comment. Yeah, I also have no incentive playing all the activities and AR stuff. Never interested in these thing irl as well lol.

Edit: Changed Supraland Crash to Black the Fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: beep boop
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
And fourth Blitz game complete with Yoku's Island Express finished. It's a 7ish out of 10. It's better than average as the unique mechanic works well, the presentation is great, and overall it seems well designed. But it also feels a bit too slow (I always expected a movement speed increase that never came), it really doesn't expand much on things from the start, and due to the slow movement when I did get one of the additional abilities I didn't really want to return to old areas.

I do still recommend it despite the complaints because it's still pretty fun and creative with great characters and music.

I'm down to my final pick with Need For Speed Heat. I'll probably just plan to knock it out soon so this'll be my first Blitz where I'm way ahead of the completion date instead of scrambling towards the end.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Managed to knock out three out of five over the last couple of weeks! Liked all of them too. But I’m onto Wuppo now, which I’m not really enjoying. Might play another hour or two, see how I feel then. Think I will probably just retire it.

Edit: Yep, I am really not feeling Wuppo. Too much time wasting and its vague objectives don't help either. I got the gist of that game from the 2-3 hours I played it. I'd rather move on to my next one. Once I've finished that, I'll see if there's anything else in the backlog that I could replace Wuppo with. Maybe Antichamber after all. Lisa and its DLC have also been on my backlog for years now.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Final Fantasy XII done :dmcblob:
Only 1 to go! Not sure if I'll try and stick with Life is Strange or swap it with something else though.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I’m so glad this event prompted me to play Hyper Light Drifter! I played a little bit of it around when it launched, but I didn’t find it all that enjoyable. The developer tweaked a lot of stuff since then, and it’s so much better now. The balance is a lot more manageable and it feels much smoother now that it can run at high frame rates. If anyone also bounced off it initially, I would definitely recommend giving it another shot. Wonderful game.

Even though I finished it a few days ago, I’ve been going just messing around and looking for some of the collectibles as well, just to have excuse to play some more of it. I’ll probably even replay it in NG+ later this year — something I rarely ever do. Great game.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I’m so glad this event prompted me to play Hyper Light Drifter! I played a little bit of it around when it launched, but I didn’t find it all that enjoyable. The developer tweaked a lot of stuff since then, and it’s so much better now. The balance is a lot more manageable and it feels much smoother now that it can run at high frame rates. If anyone also bounced off it initially, I would definitely recommend giving it another shot. Wonderful game.

Even though I finished it a few days ago, I’ve been going just messing around and looking for some of the collectibles as well, just to have excuse to play some more of it. I’ll probably even replay it in NG+ later this year — something I rarely ever do. Great game.
I'm going to add it to my list as a possible pick for next Blitz. It definitely fits as a game I completed the first full area and never played more. And I even liked it back then so I'll likely enjoy it more with changes!

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Ori and the Blind Forest done, that's 3 out of 5. Mixed feelings on this one.
Replacing bosses with late stage trial and error speedruns isnt a good idea.

Next game should be Dragon's Dogma.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Does it hold up at all? I've been meaning to give it a try.
I don't think of it as a final fantasy game, since it doesn't feel like one. It's very linear game and the battles takes too much time to win. A normal monster has way too much hp.
The story is very confusing in the beginning and I kinda got it after playing 20 or so hours. You were supposed to read the lores once they get unlocked, but I never did that.
You have to switch roles (classes) during the battles to maximize the damage. After each battle you get a ranking which I still don't know what they are for.

When you get to chapter 11 the game suddenly get a difficulty spike. All monsters are hard to kill. Luckily I found a chest table to make battles faster and less grindy

Reactions: beep boop and C-Dub

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Well, I finished Kentucky Route Zero. It was a mostly joyless and pointless experience but one that I felt compelled to see through out of morbid curiosity. A game that’s brave enough to go absolutely nowhere and conclude nothing. I can see why people might like it, but it didn’t do much for me.

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Started Murder By Numbers. I dig it. Probably the first time that the soundtrack is my favorite part of a game. The rest is alright but the soundtrack just hits in the nostalgia feels because Masakazu Sugimori is doing the soundtrack for both. Only real negative so far is the cursor being abit sluggish

Will probably do a case here and there.

OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
beep boop I bought into the hype somewhere around Episode 4's release, sure it would be all out soon after, and was excited when the fifth episode came out. And then I heard people gushing about why it was so good and I realized I likely would absolutely hate it. I've yet to try it but congratulations for making your way through it.