Community Backlog Blitz Season 5 - Runs October 1 through December 31 with a raffle at the end

beep boop

boo
Dec 6, 2018
Knocked Planescape off the list a little while ago. Quite good, especially considering when it came out. Combat is obviously a bit of a drag, but the general quality of writing makes up for part of that at least. It also just has a staggering number of unique characters around that you can talk to. The sheer quantity really surprised me.

One thing that struck me as odd was the game's pacing and structure. It throws a lot at you very fast, and the amount of people you can talk to is quite overwhelming. It keeps up that breadth right until like seventy percent into the game, whereupon it funnels you into the endgame for the remaining time. It felt a little jarring. Perhaps if the remaining places you went to were comparably open like the earlier ones? But then there wouldn't be a sense of urgency, I suppose. The introduction of an entirely new companion so late into the game was also a little strange. I didn't pick them up, because I was pretty happy with my team. I did take a moment to read up on them, and they seem kinda cool.

What I enjoyed most was probably the scene-setting, the really imaginative lore and everything about TNO's character. He is one of the more interesting protagonists I've encountered, and the game does the whole amnesiac bit quite well despite it being such a common design trope. Disco Elysium of course comes to mind and how that game also integrated this well-worn concept into the fabric of the story, character and game design. The companions I was not too excited by, personally. Dak'kon is the one standout with his rich history and connection to TNO. He seems to be the most complex character in terms of content about him and interactions with the player-character compared to all the rest. Perhaps that isn't quite true in terms of raw word count, but he feels like the single most meaningful companion that joins you. I generally liked Morte as well. The rest not so much.

I'm glad to have played this. The overall experience is still quite strong after all this time, and it's nice to have a reference point like this when thinking about other RPGs. Disco Elysium in particular feels like it built a lot on the ideas in here, as the designers themselves had said. Having been able to see that and thinking about the stuff that DE doesn't differently and why that may be the case was half the fun. Playing Planescape highlighted just how much thought and expertise went into Disco, and it intensified my appreciation of that game even more. So yeah. Great game. Relevant even today!

Reactions: lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Well I'm still a little baby I guess, but a little baby that beat Cloud Punk, game three for the quarter.
Kind of a nice story set in a seedy, dying cyberpunk city. Part of me really, deeply disliked the cube-minecraft look though. I'd love to see this with a different art style

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Finished Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists ~Ateliers of the New World~ so that's one done.

Undecided where to go from here. Maybe Broken Sword 5 or Darksiders 3.

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
1. Tales of Berseria
2. Vampyr
3. Sleeping Dogs

4. Batman Arkham City
5. Batman Arkham Knight

Finished "Sleeping Dogs" was really nice game and the HK island very well done. I looked up whether there were any sequel to it, and to my disappointment there wasn't and the game studio even closed down. Really sad since I would love to see not just the HK island but also parts of the HK mainland. I give this game an overall good grade anyhow since there are so few games which, if any, which takes part in HK :)

beep boop

boo
Dec 6, 2018
That we won't get another Sleeping Dogs is such a damn shame. It continues to be my favorite open world GTA-like. The story, characters, hand-to-hand combat, shooting and driving are all top notch. So much potential left in it as well. Square-Enix had pure gold in their hands but they wasted it :poutblob:

4. Batman Arkham City
5. Batman Arkham Knight
That might be a tough pill, one right after the other. They're very similar mechanically. But good luck! I really liked both games.

Reactions: ganmo
OP
Wibblewozzer

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
We're at the halfway point of this season. How's everyone doing so far? Hopefully you've got at least two finished!

The prize pot is still at $22.26 which is just the opening pot plus the leftover from last time. If anyone wants to chip in here are the various ways I have set up to do so:

Paypal - Wibblewozzer@gmail.com
Venmo - @Nicholas-Garboden
Square Cash App - $NicholasGarboden

And as per usual I'll update here with what I receive, and if noted, who it's from. Hopefully we can get a decent prize for the holidays since the prize will be during the Steam sale period so it'll hold a bit more value. But as per usual, no requirement to chip in and because it's during the sale event people should still be able to get some good prizes regardless.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I have 2 finished \o/
But I've also been mainly playing everything except what's on my list :grimacing-face: :whistle: šŸ™ˆ

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
That we won't get another Sleeping Dogs is such a damn shame. It continues to be my favorite open world GTA-like. The story, characters, hand-to-hand combat, shooting and driving are all top notch. So much potential left in it as well. Square-Enix had pure gold in their hands but they wasted it :poutblob:

That might be a tough pill, one right after the other. They're very similar mechanically. But good luck! I really liked both games.
I hold hopes that Square Enix, if they still own the digital data of Sleeping Dogs, will make use of it and put some life into what would've been the sequel. Or perhaps somehow the old developers start a kickstarters or something. If it happens I hope they could make it fully Cantonese too. Haha. I have many wish and hopes.

beep boop

boo
Dec 6, 2018
I hold hopes that Square Enix, if they still own the digital data of Sleeping Dogs, will make use of it and put some life into what would've been the sequel. Or perhaps somehow the old developers start a kickstarters or something. If it happens I hope they could make it fully Cantonese too. Haha. I have many wish and hopes.
In case you haven't read it, Patrick Klepek wrote an extensive article on the canned pre-production design docs for Sleeping Dogs 2. Read at your own peril (sounded very ambitious!).

Deku

Stay home, stay safe
Oct 19, 2018
21xx
www.seikens.com
I beat the final boss in Final Fantasy 13-2. The final boss was kinda random... which isn't really new in Final Fantasy games... But they need to stop with random final bosses in the series :p

Ending spoiler
Oh, my. The ending ended with a plot twist... I guess I have to play the final game in FF13 series soon.

That's the fourth game, one more game and I am done with the Blitz

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I beat the final boss in Final Fantasy 13-2. The final boss was kinda random... which isn't really new in Final Fantasy games... But they need to stop with random final bosses in the series :p

Ending spoiler
Oh, my. The ending ended with a plot twist... I guess I have to play the final game in FF13 series soon.

I really enjoyed 13-2 from a gameplay perspective, but the story was whatever. I'm still annoyed that they just straight up ignored the only interesting lore from 13 (I was really interested in the fal'Cie conceptually) and went with a "generic" timey-wimey plot instead.
Lightning Returns is vastly different (again). Its combat system is my favorite of the trilogy, but its story gets even worse.

The entire trilogy is worth playing just for how vastly different each entry is (and, well, they look and sound great) but they're really mixed bags.

Reactions: Deku and Valdien

Valdien

Mar 26, 2020
Sydney

Ending spoiler

Lightning Returns combat is one of my favourites in any JRPG. It's a complete opposite of FF13/13-2's battle system. You're in control of every action. It does have a steep learning curve, especially for people who aren't into Japanese action games; but man, it is rewarding. You can also Perfect Guard every single attack in the game, expect for a certain attack performed by a boss during a cutscene.

Reactions: Deku and Ascheroth

Deku

Stay home, stay safe
Oct 19, 2018
21xx
www.seikens.com
I really enjoyed 13-2 from a gameplay perspective, but the story was whatever. I'm still annoyed that they just straight up ignored the only interesting lore from 13 (I was really interested in the fal'Cie conceptually) and went with a "generic" timey-wimey plot instead.
Lightning Returns is vastly different (again). Its combat system is my favorite of the trilogy, but its story gets even worse.

The entire trilogy is worth playing just for how vastly different each entry is (and, well, they look and sound great) but they're really mixed bags.
I totally agree with you, the combat is more enjoyable in FF13-2 than in FF13. Much more fast paced. The story was meh. I am not fan with time travel, it just doesn't work no matter how good explanation is. But the way time travel works in FF13-2 it was just so bad.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Playing Lords of the Fallen and enjoying it so far. Almost by accident I ended up with a battlemage build where I do a lot of physical damage and even more magical damage, I've even killed the last 3 bosses in my first try

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Just completed Lords of the Fallen. The addon DLC barely has 40 minutes of gameplay. Time to move on to the final "contracted" game, South Park The Stick of Truth.

Accoun

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Finished Vanquish.

Not sure what to say, because even after finishing it, I'm still not sure if I learned the game "enough". Still enjoyed the glimpses of actual, more high-level coolness.
BTW, it's the first Platinum game I actually finished.