|OT| Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Igavania Returns!!

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Alright. Started also Symphony of the Night first time last week and it's super awesome. Don't know how did I miss such a masterpiece until now.
SotN is an all time great for sure. It's weird how popular it was, and highly regarded, but the genre didn't really take off outside handhelds for forever. Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge, Timespinners, etc. all helped show a market for it and I hope Bloodstained is up there with the best of them. I'll have to start to find out tonight :p

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'll only get to this once the campaign co-op is released.

I sort of expected that to be missing at launch given how they never really talked about it.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The PC version seems decent enough (works at arbitrary framerate) but no 21:9 support, and no built-in really-high-image-quality options.

r.ScreenPercentage=200 works for in-game graphics (and looks amazing) but not for cutscene/equipment screen models, which is a huge shame. I hope they improve that.

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Is Iga’s backpack really only a boss and a weapon ?

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Is Iga’s backpack really only a boss and a weapon ?
Yes. It was a bonus for a higher tier backer, and they decided to make it available to anyone post-launch as a DLC for the same price (which personally, I think is fine). So it's a "hardcore fan" type DLC :p

I played an hour so far and it seems decent enough. The combat is a little more sluggish than SotN so far but maybe that will change. There's a huge variety of weapons already, too.

Reactions: prudis and Li Kao

Deleted member 113

There's some codes around that unlock content.
You have to use the codes below as your name, when starting a new game, you're supposed to hear a sound to confirm the activation, and then you can freely change the name of your character, because the content is already activated.

There's 2 that unlock modes (the first unlocks difficulty modes, the other activates a Big Head mode):

NIGHTMARE
BIGHEAD

And the rest unlocks items:

Akuma
EvilTheSword
DungeonNightSword
SilverAndBlackSword
PowerSword
SwordOfTheMushroom
DUNGEONITE
ALPHAOMEGASIN
8MEGAPOWER
The-BazMask
BULLFIGHTER
SPONGYVINE
AKindaFunnyMask
TEAMFAT
Grumps
Egoraptor
Mega64Head
Jarvis Meower
PlagueDoctorFace
swimmingbird
KongSword
JEPSON
BigMustache
AWESOMEVIDEOGAMES
Plan9FOSpace
chuggaaconroy
LoveOfBenki
INTHEBATHROOM
HumptyDumpty
EGGFARM
LoveOfPizza
STEPHENPLAYS
TheSpeedGamers
ClockSowrd

bbq of doom

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
I’ve been informed that this is weirdly locked to 30 FPS on Switch so now I’ll dip in at a later time (unless reviews sway me otherwise).

:cry:

Deleted member 113

i don't suppose you know if it unlocks stuff only for that save slot, or for all future ones as well?
No, unfortunately I don't. :(

What I do know is that the items aren't unlockable otherwise, since these were either designed by high-tier backers, or were designed by "clan leaders" (influencers, fan sites, ...).

Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
The game runs quite smoothly in my rig. It even detected DSR resolutions. No issues with framepacing even at 5120x2880. The aliasing for the models in the Bust-Ups during dialogue bothers me a bit though, I wonder if something can be done about it.

Reactions: QFNS

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
What I do know is that the items aren't unlockable otherwise, since these were either designed by high-tier backers, or were designed by "clan leaders" (influencers, fan sites, ...).
i see ... guess i'll have to start a new playthrough then ... oh well ... it's not too bad - i haven't even left the ship yet

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The game runs quite smoothly in my rig. It even detected DSR resolutions. No issues with framepacing even at 5120x2880. The aliasing for the models in the Bust-Ups during dialogue bothers me a bit though, I wonder if something can be done about it.
I already tweeted at them, but I didn't get a reply. If any influencer wants to try, be my guest, I'll support you ;)

I really have no idea why so many developers mess up the resolution scaling on secondary rendertargets. I'm pretty sure fixing it would take exactly one line of code.

(and it's not just during dialogue but also on the equipment screen)

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I already tweeted at them, but I didn't get a reply. If any influencer wants to try, be my guest, I'll support you
Sadly I don't have a Twitter account. I'll probably say something on their bug report form when I have some spare moments later.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I've been having fun with the game. It lacks a lot of polish as there's been a bunch of small graphical things or just some feeling of things is slightyly off. I've had enemies not get hit by weapon swings despite clearly going through them, items suck in walls, floors, and ceilings that I pass through but still don't get grabbed (or they magically get collected ten seconds later). There's been two words completely missing from subtitles. Just things like that.

Oh, and a bit of a bug, seemingly, that an NPC is supposed to give you dialogue to hint you towards the next direction when the next step doesn't otherwise make any real sense so instead I had to look online and it seems a lot of people are getting stuck making progress at this particular spot.

All that said it's still a good time. I'm a bit over 40% map completion. It's a lengthy game compared to what I thought it might be and I look forward to digging into more. I'll play a lot more tonight but I expect I won't finish it until tomorrow night.

Deleted member 113

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play until tomorrow.
But, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. I enjoyed the betas I played, so it's great that the final result also plays well, but with improved visuals.

Here's hoping this is the start of a long-term franchise.
I was used to playing a new Castlevania (portable) game every 1-2 years, so hopefully Iga will take the work done for this game, do his usual recycling of enemies/props/..., add new content, and release some sequels every couple of years or so.

Reactions: NarohDethan

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Played for about 2 hours last night. Great fun. The movement feels GOOD. It has the jump attack/land/cancel backswing thing you can do in SotN. The only gripe so far is that it feels like there's too much to do. Crafting, leveling up Shards, quests, etc. All of those get in the way of just exploring the castle. And so far I've not found that doing any of them really matter. Just explore and have a good time.

Also the lightsaber weapon is hilarious.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Played for about 2 hours last night. Great fun. The movement feels GOOD. It has the jump attack/land/cancel backswing thing you can do in SotN. The only gripe so far is that it feels like there's too much to do. Crafting, leveling up Shards, quests, etc. All of those get in the way of just exploring the castle. And so far I've not found that doing any of them really matter. Just explore and have a good time.

Also the lightsaber weapon is hilarious.
If you stick to the quests you can get some decent items out of them. I've used a couple at times. The lady that wants food helped me get into the prepared food stuff. If you haven't looked into that you should check it out as all the prepared foods give you permanent stat bonuses the first time you eat them so I've worked on some of those as you can grind them out with some money as the basic food items are made with ingredients from the shop or harvested by the farmer.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
May 29, 2019
So, any idea what the "reduce input lag" option does, exactly?
I’m going to go out on a limb and say it reduces input lag.

Perhaps it’s a true input lag reduction by cutting some processing functions or perhaps it makes the game feel more responsive by messing with animations.

Did you try toggling it to experiment?

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I’m going to go out on a limb and say it reduces input lag.

Perhaps it’s a true input lag reduction by cutting some processing functions or perhaps it makes the game feel more responsive by messing with animations.

Did you try toggling it to experiment?
Of course I did, not sure I could tell the difference.
The help text says it might also reduce performance, so that's why I'm wondering what it does, exactly.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
May 29, 2019
The help text says it might also reduce performance, so that's why I'm wondering what it does, exactly.
Interesting. Wonder if it’s a weirdly worded VSYNC setting since disabling it could technically improve response time.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
Got the bad end, played around 10 hours, 75% map completion. It's really fun, there's some jank and bugs that are annoying like if an item gets dropped or stuck at a wall, you can't really get it and cutscenes are really low budget. Overall, it takes everything from all old Igavania games and applies them here (crafting, martial arts moves, soul system, etc.) and it plays really well. Music is probably the best part about the game and there are a lot of great tracks that reminds me of SotN and PoR. Gonna continue for the true end now.

Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Could it be something like that number of pre-loaded frames setting in the Nvidia control panel? That supposedly also improves responsiveness at the cost of performance. Vaguely remember reading something along those lines.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Impression: really enjoying the game. So far (2-3 hours) I’d put it with the very best Metroidvanias I’ve played.

The gameplay feels great on PC, tons of weapons, quests, items, systems, I like the music a lot, visuals are very good in places and usually more than adequate. Better level design and moment to moment gameplay than the Castlevania Metroidvanias.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Interesting. Wonder if it’s a weirdly worded VSYNC setting since disabling it could technically improve response time.
Could it be something like that number of pre-loaded frames setting in the Nvidia control panel? That supposedly also improves responsiveness at the cost of performance. Vaguely remember reading something along those lines.
It's a mystery.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Played a good chunk now.
And this is pretty much exactly the Igavania ultimate mash up expected, but better in a lot of ways. It has souls, weapon skills, crafting... but all of it is significantly less grindy than the old games (Portrait of Ruin in particular was MISERABLE for weapon XP).
But it really shines in combat, which is the single biggest improvement in the entire franchise since it's creation: monsters end even bosses react to your attacks, and not only does it make your attacks much more impactful, but you can actually force them to stagger at the right moment to avoid taking damage.
I'll take the dodgy visuals if it means much more interesting monsters and much better animations.

Now I just hope that the next games will have more interesting quests, yeah you get good stuff, but holy vampire are they bland and just here to pad the adventure.
Reuse the music themes though, they're fantastic.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I just submitted a bug report on their page, I hope something comes from it. This was my report:
Regardless of what resolution the game itself renders at, the character model overlays for dialogue and equipment are always rendered at a hardcoded 1920x1080. (Confirmed via Renderdoc)

I've attached a screenshot showing the issue.

This should be really easy to fix. Basically, just use the entire viewport for character rendering instead of a hardcoded subsection of it.

Don't hesitate to contact me if anything is unclear. I do this for a living.
:p

Could it be something like that number of pre-loaded frames setting in the Nvidia control panel?
That was my assumption.

Last edited:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I also hope they fix it, because everything else looks pretty damn amazing when I render it at 4x my monitor's native res. Those are really the only sore looking spot in the whole game.

Now I just need to find more time to play since the castle seems gigantic, I will need a lot of time to explore.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
May 29, 2019
I hate that I can’t play this out of fear for my save file. I’m on Xbox so I get to wait till next week sometime for the patch.

This team is bordering incompetence when it comes to patching this game. :(

Deleted member 113

I'm about to (finally) start playing the final game today.

Does anyone know if the codes (the ones that I posted above) "stack", I mean, if I use the 34 item codes, do I unlock those 34 items in the same save file, or do I unlock just one per save file, meaning I have to choose between one?

Deleted member 113

After 3 hours or so, I'm really digging the game.
It's good old Castlevania alright. Oh, how I missed a game such as this one. :cat-heart-blob:

It would probably be even better if it had a bit more polish on the texts, a few small graphical elements, and whatnot, but I'm very pleased so far.

Funnily enough, the only thing I consider a step-down from the previous DS games is... the soundtrack.
Don't get me wrong, it's enjoyable, I already heard some catchy tunes, but the Castlevania series always had some memorable soundtracks, and so far this one doesn't reach those highs. Yamane has done far better before.

Any fan of the "Igavania" games shouldn't have any hesitation in picking this one up.
It's well worth a purchase. (y)