|OT| Dota Underlords

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Man I really don't know how to play this game, after 140 hours one would think I could do better than always be the first to be kicked out of the match.XD
I feel the same way honestly. I usually end up between 3rd and 6th but I couldn't tell you what I'm doing differently each time. The best advice I can give is to always, always have some meat shields in your group. Every time I tried going for builds without strong units to soak up damage it ended up as an embarrassing disaster. Warriors, Brawnies, Scrappy, Knights, whatever you can get your hands on. Then complement them with whatever damage dealers the RNG will give you (Hunters, Assassins, maybe Mages but I don't personally like them). Try to get at least the first level of some alliance synergies going, don't obsess over completing them.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I feel the same way honestly. I usually end up between 3rd and 6th but I couldn't tell you what I'm doing differently each time. The best advice I can give is to always, always have some meat shields in your group. Every time I tried going for builds without strong units to soak up damage it ended up as an embarrassing disaster. Warriors, Brawnies, Scrappy, Knights, whatever you can get your hands on. Then complement them with whatever damage dealers the RNG will give you (Hunters, Assassins, maybe Mages but I don't personally like them). Try to get at least the first level of some alliance synergies going, don't obsess over completing them.
Yeah I've been trying out different stuff now. I used to be so unbeatable with Druids and Trolls combo and still do best with it, but it's not as good as it used to be so I have to try and find other good combos.

Reactions: Alexandros

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
1 - Be the first player to have 2 Arc Wardens
2 - Proceed to look for the third for 20 rounds
3 - ...
4 - Lose because 3 other players have multiple Arc 2* while you're still sitting on your 2 Arc Wardens you found by round 11

Ain't rng fun... :suicide-blob:

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
No one posted this yet?

CONTRAPTIONS
  • Contraptions are placeable items.
  • Contraptions, when on the board, behave like regular units. You can drag them around, and they affect gameplay in combat.
  • Contraptions do not count against the unit cap.
Barricade:
  • Newly added Tier 2 Contraption.
  • Has 400 Health and 20 Armor.
  • Two placeable barriers to block enemies and ranged attacks. Immune to spells.
Target Buddy:
  • Newly added Tier 2 Contraption.
  • Has 1000 Health and 10 Armor.
  • Taunts enemies and draws fire. Can equip items.
Healing Ward:
  • Newly added Tier 3 Contraption.
  • Has 200 Health.
  • Heals friendly units within 1 cell for 20hp/s.
Tombstone:
  • Newly added Tier 4 Contraption.
  • Has 2000 Health and 20 Armor.
  • Ally and enemy heroes spawn zombies when they die within 2 cells of the Tombstone.

ACES
  • Tier 5 units are now Aces. Each is the capstone to its associated alliance.
  • Each Ace unit, in addition to its regular abilities, offers a new Ace effect that is enabled when you have at least one level of its associated alliance.
  • When at least one level of that alliance is enabled, when an Ace unit appears in the shop, the odds of it being the Ace unit associated with that alliance is increased by 15%.

ALLIANCE CHANGES

Shaman: Now requires 2 heroes to activate, down from 3 heroes to activate.
  • Units now have a 10% chance of being turned into a chicken when attacking a Shaman, down from 17%.

Assassin: Now gives bonuses at 3/6 heroes, down from 3/6/9 heroes.
  • Assassin Level 1 (3 heroes): 300% crit damage chance increased to 15%, up from 10%.
  • Assassin Level 2 (6 heroes): 400% crit damage chance increased to 25%, up from 20%.

Elusive: Now gives bonuses at 3/6 heroes, down from 3/6/9 heroes.
  • Elusive Level 1 (3 heroes): Evasion increased to 25%, up from 20%.
  • Elusive Level 2 (6 heroes): Evasion increased to 50%, up from 45%.

Warrior: Now gives bonuses at 3/6 heroes, down from 3/6/9 heroes.
  • Warrior Level 1 (3 heroes): no changes (Armor bonus is +10).
  • Warrior Level 2 (6 heroes): Armor increased to +20, up from +15.
HERO CHANGES

Bloodseeker:
  • Alliance changed from Human Assassin to Human Deadeye Assassin.

Bounty Hunter:
  • Attack Damage Minimum changed from [45, 90, 180] to [50, 100, 200].
  • Attack Damage Maximum changed from [60, 120, 240] to [70, 140, 280].

Disruptor:
  • Draft Tier changed from 4 to Ace for the Warlock Alliance.
  • Alliances changed from Brawny Shaman Warlock to Brawny Warlock.
  • Maximum Health changed from [700, 1400, 2800] to [900, 1600, 3400].
  • Attack Damage Minimum changed from [45, 90, 180] to [54, 108, 216].
  • Attack Damage Maximum changed from [50, 100, 200] to [60, 120, 240].
  • Ace Effect: The effect of the Warlock Alliance is now applied to 2 units in addition to the warlock itself, rather than one unit.

Enigma:
  • Ace for the Shaman Alliance.
  • Ace Effect: Extends the effects of the Shaman Alliance to your entire army.

Gyrocopter:
  • Ace for the Deadeye Alliance.
  • Ace Effect: Grants Deadeye units True Strike. Units with True Strike cannot miss.

Lich:
  • Ace for the Mage Alliance.
  • Ace Effect: Your army's mana generation from attacks is increased 10% per Mage Alliance level.

Medusa:
  • Ace for the Scaled Alliance.
  • Attack Range changed from 4 to 3.
  • Ace Effect: Grants Scaled units Retaliate. When a unit with Retaliate is attacked, they apply a 25 dmg/sec per Alliance level debuff to their attacker.
  • Stone Gaze:
    • Radius changed from 4 to 3.

Ogre Magi:
  • Ogre Magi will cast Bloodlust on himself first, and then on allies ordered by distance, closest first.

Techies:
  • Ace for the Inventor Alliance.
  • Ace Effect: Grants Inventor units Chain Reaction. If an enemy dies as a result of Unstable Reactor, they explode just as if they had Unstable Reactor.

Troll Warlord:
  • Ace for the Troll Alliance.
  • Attack Rate changed from 1.0 to 1.3.
  • Ace Effect: Grants your units Mini-Bash: While attacking, your team has a 5% chance per Troll Alliance level of stunning their target for 0.25 seconds.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Very cool update!
It's almost as if Valve listened to my complains about the Tier 5 odds. :cat-heart-blob:

I've only played once (and didn't get to try the contraptions), but managed to win the match with a 2* Troll Warlord and a 2* Medusa (I've actually realized that it was the Scaled ace very late, as I was kinda sure it was the Hunter's 😅) and a very awkward Savage-Hunter-Warlock-Troll-Heartless-Demon team!
Had fun, would play for another 100 hours again.

Reactions: Routa

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
This comp is disgusting when it works. It's early game is ass and if you can't find a morph 2* and viper 2* by round 15 your practically dead but once it gets rolling barely anything can stop it, plus with the new Shaman ace your late-game is even more secure since this comp is complete at level 8 and there's two slots left to fit the Enigma and whatever other unit you need (in this case I used a DK for dps but I could've used a Tide or Kunkka for control instead). It's so funny watching a Slark 3* being perma-chicken :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reactions: Routa

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I've been doing really bad after this patch. I have to try and change my strategy a bit.
This might only apply to me personally, but my enjoyment and performances really improved after I got to level 25, and have no pressure to complete the challenges anymore.
Previously, I kinda forced myself to choose a particular build for the current challengr and keep it until the end regardless of the opponents.
Now instead I'm changing stuff around whenever I need, and at this point it's safe to say that being as flexible as possible is key to do good in this game.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Has deadeyes become way better with the addition of Bloodseeker early on? It's really easy to get Bloodseeker and Sniper stacks of you want it. I'm just not sure it's worth it since they don't share much in common alliance wise.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018

Brawny builds still fun but for most of the match it was a nailbiter until I steamrolled everyone else. Didn't even make it to the dragon fight.

Also finally ranked up from Smuggler.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I don't like this meta, in fact I think I can safely say I hate it. After thinking about it a bit I think the fact that tier 4 odds are super high and every game is basically a race to 6 to be the lucky bastard who can get a 2* Tide, Kunkka, Arc, Necro or some other valuable unit first. These units are so much better than anything else that it's almost useless to think about alliances or 3* low tiers units besides maybe Slark, PA or Morph.
I think tier 4 should be 10% at 8 or 9 instead of what we have right now.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
:yo:

Anyone else waiting on battle buddies and more stuff in the proto pass to play more?
Just waiting for a tier 4 nerf and a meta shift. The game is stale since everyone is doing the same build every match.

OP
Routa

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Internally, we are calling that update The Big Update (surprise), and it's one of the last milestones on our road to Season One. This update will include 2 playable Underlords, the Duos team mode, 6 new Heroes, 3 new Alliances, and an updated user interface. We're currently shooting to release this update in the first half of October
The final stop will come not long after, with the official launch of the complete game in 1.0. This will come with 2 more Underlords, the Battle Pass, the City Crawl, and will be the official beginning of Underlords Season One.
:coffee-blob:

Reactions: QFNS

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Reactions: BlueOdin

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
This redirects me to the german update news and THEY FUCKING LOCALIZED THE NAMES OF THE HEROES ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Why would you do that.
Why would you do such a thing

DROW-WALDHÜTERIN

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

VENOMANT

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

THIS IS ALL SO HORRIBLE

Reactions: lashman

Kylac

Apr 17, 2019

big update is out. Duos is in this one so if anyone wants to play feel free to add me. :pleasedblob: Not sure how matchmaking for duos works but I'm Lord of White Spire in solo. Might be annoying if your lower rank and have to face against top players.

Reactions: QFNS and Wok

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Gave the Big Update a quick try on mobile earlier: woweeee it looks an entirely different game!!
Had problems following the action on the small screen, with all the new units, chara design, vfx, and whatnot, but I really dig the new UI design!

Also god bless the XP button that now has little ticks on every 5 points so that I don't have to do rocket science math to calculate how many money I need to level up :D

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

Kylac

Apr 17, 2019

Lots of leaks and datamining.

New Heroes by end of 2019
Wraith King
Ruvik
Meepo
Vengeful Spirit
Nightstalker

Voidspirit + Snapfire revealed at the International and were said to be coming in Fall 2019.

New Alliances
Spectral
Meepo
Commander (Champion?)
Wisp (Io?)

2 new Underlords Walrus guy (Jull) and pygmy shaman (Enno).

tons of new items. I won't bother listing. Seems there might be random items that level your units up though. I wouldn't be s

City Crawl is a singleplayer campaign. top down controlling districts. choose an underlord and take over the city and get cosmetics and exp for battlepass. battlepass means you gain access to the "Noble Court" and "Secret Society"? Not entirely clear. Upgrade your Underlord with a bunch of stuff. very complex with deck codes to share with.

Turbo mode + Replay is being added soon. Seems both are very far ahead. Expect it soon?

new game boards. Towns Square and Farm

Lootboxes that give cosmetics and items. not sure if paid or just in the city crawl? Tyler seemed to think it was just ingame lootboxes?

Reactions: lashman and Copons

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Damn after the Big Update I've somehow stopped "understanding" the game.

I've never been a good player, by any means, but at least I had a feeling of how a game was going for my team.
Say, if I had a full knight, or scrappy inventors, I could be pretty sure I would end up in the podium.

Now? Not at all.
I read around that the current meta is hunters insects, I try to pursue that and my performances are literally all over the place.
I might end up first and last in consecutive games with the same basic strategy/alliances.

Of course I'm not expecting to always win (or lose), but I can't figure out the complete lack of consistency I'm having.

I don't think I've changed playstyle much, or gained irredeemable bad habits, so I'm totally oblivious of what's going on... 🤷‍♂️

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Yo anybody still playing this?
I got into a bit of a slump for some time, but then I tried the Knockout mode and I'm having a blast!

For those like me who haven't tried it for reasons, it's a super quick mode (~10 minutes) that keeps roughly the same rules while simplifying immensely the economy strategy and the upgrades.

You start with a preset team of 5 units. The game lets you choose among 3 sets (re-rollable once for free) with 2 alliances already enabled.
Then, you have 4 lifes. Meaning: lose 4 times and you're out.
You get cash after each round, but there's no need to keep it to get interests, because the game auto-levels you up, and the unit upgrades are super cheap.
And I mean it: you need 2 units to get to level 2 and another 2 for level 3.

Imho it's much funnier than the normal mode. It pushes you to experiment much more with weird alliances, and you also get to easily play with the level 3 of lots of units that you'd hardly if ever see.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Still play it every now and then. Though at this point I might just wait for 1.0 and more cosmetic stuff to unlock for my lizard brain.

Honestly not sure about Knockout Mode. It is short which is good but at the same time I feel even more unluckier when I don't get the units I want.

Also unsure of what to think about the Underlords. I think I would prefer it if they were only a passive unit instead of an active one.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Honestly not sure about Knockout Mode. It is short which is good but at the same time I feel even more unluckier when I don't get the units I want.
On the contrary, imho the fact that KO is so quick means that, if you get unlucky rolls, at worst you've wasted like 10 minutes instead of 40+.

Also unsure of what to think about the Underlords. I think I would prefer it if they were only a passive unit instead of an active one.
I agree on this.
The recent change that makes you pick one after a few rounds, and they have predefined skills, is definitely an improvement.
At the same time I'd kinda rather have a good (normal) unit that complements my current team instead.