|OT| Elden Ring - Foul Tarnished, in search of the Elden Ring

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Stormveil Castle is a really well designed area. Just spent hours exploring it, sure there's areas I havent been to.
Finally found the boss and got my ass handed to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durante

PARANOiA

Dec 4, 2018
When people say "no summoning" do they mean just other players or does that include pets like the wolves? I've been making good progress but have been summoning wolves in every boss fight. I assumed it's just part of your kit.
Oh and btw I was using a giant sword and shield before going dual greatswords. It's so bloody powerful, claymore in main hand and the lordsworn greatsword in the other. Jumping l1 attack one hit kills a lot of regular mobs. Highly recommended to try using two weapons rather than a shield.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
When people say "no summoning" do they mean just other players or does that include pets like the wolves? I've been making good progress but have been summoning wolves in every boss fight. I assumed it's just part of your kit.
Oh and btw I was using a giant sword and shield before going dual greatswords. It's so bloody powerful, claymore in main hand and the lordsworn greatsword in the other. Jumping l1 attack one hit kills a lot of regular mobs. Highly recommended to try using two weapons rather than a shield.
Usually it means they dont even use the spirit summons.

Dec 5, 2018
Ok, I'm an idiot I don't know for how long I've had the items to upgrade my flasks just to find another 5 minutes after upgrading.

There's one thing about this game that my brain seems incapable to process. Despite having played Sekiro I'm unable to internalize that the jump button exists and can be used in fights.,

Also why are pots with hands attaking me.

I made it to Godrick and got him to 1/3 of health after a few tries I think tomorrow I'll pull it off.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The game's day/night cycle adds a lot more than I was expecting, visually.

Summoning other players is also just part of your kit :p

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Played about 100 minutes to start with, got killed only once so far, not too bad a start. Obviously not sure what to skill..started as a Cleric (forgot the real class name)

also pretty sure I looted some golden poo.

PARANOiA

Dec 4, 2018
Summoning other players is also just part of your kit :p
Hey I'll take pride in my small win of sticking to ashes summoning.

This game is mind blowing. I am going to struggle going back to Dark Souls after having this sort of experience. It feels like my adventure is completely unique to me.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
This game just makes me miss Sekiro's combat and level design even more. Besides being another regular souls game in terms of combat, UI and rpg systems being nearly the exact same, the open world which was touted as some kind of evolution for the genre is the part that's putting me off the most. I find it incredibly dull and too empty a lot of the time with not a lot to explore to keep me motivated. I feel like 70% of the unique rewards I get are STR weapons or magic stuff, not very helpful for my DEX build. The catacombs/caves are so generic and tiny they remind me of chalice dungeons from bloodborne instead of intricately designed areas I'm used to seeing in FROM games.

To be honest a lot of this open world feels not much different than Ubi games that are so derided. You have your "bandit" camps and copy/paste catacombs but the only difference is they're not on the map as ? icons for you to run to. I know people say the castle in the first area is a proper souls area but if each region only has 1 thing like that I don't think this game is going to do much for me with the bulk of the content being tiny copy and paste "dungeons" and a mostly empty open world.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Been loving the game so far, haven't really hit a difficulty wall yet, like I usually do in From games (only ever completed DS2). Still have to attempt the first story boss. Everyone has said how hard he is, so I have done everything to avoid him. Level 32 now.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
What I find really amusing about how Elden Ring is almost universally praised is that to me -- and also the people I play in co-op with -- out of all of From's games it seems most closely like a large-scale sequel to Dark Souls 2. In terms of things like build variety, multiplayer options, somewhat larger focus on more diverse RPG systems, sheer content volume and overall feel.

Now, for me, that's a fantastic thing, and I'm not surprised people are praising it so much, since Dark Souls 2 was my favourite Dark Souls game. But it seems slightly ironic :p

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
I feel a lot of people ran with the gossip that DS2 is not great, I surely spent the most time with it compared to all their games - I just love the magic in there, it's nuts. It makes me excited to try ER down the road - love reading and watching it right now but not in the mood to play it. Also waiting for fixes (lol).

Reactions: Durante

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
What I find really amusing about how Elden Ring is almost universally praised is that to me -- and also the people I play in co-op with -- out of all of From's games it seems most closely like a large-scale sequel to Dark Souls 2. In terms of things like build variety, multiplayer options, somewhat larger focus on more diverse RPG systems, sheer content volume and overall feel.

Now, for me, that's a fantastic thing, and I'm not surprised people are praising it so much, since Dark Souls 2 was my favourite Dark Souls game. But it seems slightly ironic :p
zkylon actually agrees with you :)

Reactions: Li Kao and Durante

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
For the people pissing themselves over Margit... Go Explore!! There is a Cave in the east of starting area, along a ravine. Fight some bandits, spare a merchant. Come back later, he'll sell you a "shackle" among other things if you've got the coin.

This item is reusable and will help you a lot in the Margit fight. It's an item designed specifically for this boss.
Beat Margits ass first try. 90% of his attacks are parryable too.
:minos_knight:
==========

Really enjoying this game. I haven't really poured myself into any game since quitting FFXIV, and this was just the cure i needed. 19 Hours and I've not even cleared Stormveil Castle yet. I got the wanderlust something fierce. (Which is good, cuz I'm getting all the quests and NPC's and lore.)

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, sort in a love / hate relationship with the game.
First, I suppose I'm a scrub, but as the series advances the difficulty and skill level keeps going up in my subjective opinion. It's fine to be demanding, but could we keep reasonable ? :anguished-face:
In practice I long for the days when bosses took some micro seconds of pause between chaining me to hell and back. It feels like those motherfuckers don't breath (they are certainly not letting me).
I experienced some weird AI behavior too, being rushed by bears like they were on fast forward.
Oh, yeah, archers, sniping you from the far end of the map, got old 84 years ago.

On an objective note, a relative fail is the
reuse of cave bosses in stronger form
throughout the map. It's fine and impressive to make a map that big, but if you need to do that to populate it, maybe shrink it a little ?

The game didn't impress me that much artistically in the first two regions, but the one with lots of water is a treat. The big dungeon here is also sublimely reminiscent of Bloodborne.

To finish looking like a grumpy old man, I would be remiss not to add that the whole UI and information presentation is a trash fire. Comparing items between the merchant and me is a pain, and, for the love of God, can we not toy with 30 years of muscle memory and the barest of logic and make it so you can fucking close the map with the same button used to open it ?
EVERY. TIME.

- EDIT -
That being said, 30 hours in two or three days, the game must do things right too, I'm not saying it's shit or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prodigy

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I fought a boss that looked like anEVA. It was called Dragonkin Soldier Nokstella and the whole fight was so cool, I had to unlearn the old habit of staying between a boss legs because he has an attack for when a character gets bellow him

Some screenshots:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Panda Pedinte The first screenshot appears frequently upon loading and it's just gorgeous.

-

To expand on the technical side of things vs. the art side, I'm not that impressed by the game. There are still some nice effects. I'm thinking about the fire effect really popping out of the screen compared the relatively dull environment. Dull is not the right word but yeah, some nice contrast. Fighting
Fire Monks
is always a sight for sore eyes.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
This game is insane. Just discovered the siofra river area and wow. How much bigger can this game get? I've been doing so much exploring around redmane are and southern peninsula. And now there is siofra and I haven't even begun going to the area after Godrick wtf.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
This game is insane. Just discovered the siofra river area and wow. How much bigger can this game get? I've been doing so much exploring around redmane are and southern peninsula. And now there is siofra and I haven't even begun going to the area after Godrick wtf.
I just discovered this zone as well by random chance. Let's see what's in that small building over there... boom!... gigantic underground rock-people civilization.
As if the above-ground map wasn't big enough already.

Reactions: QFNS

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I just discovered this zone as well by random chance. Let's see what's in that small building over there... boom!... gigantic underground rock-people civilization.
As if the above-ground map wasn't big enough already.
I found this area the other night.... I noped outta there after I started seeing just how many hits it was taking to damage those rock people. 2Scary4Me.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
We didn't get any invasions in the first 2 days, but today we got invaded twice in 2 hours. Neat.
(Also, the blue/hunter covenant/whatever thing seems to be way more reliable than it used to be in earlier Souls games, we had a hunter join rapidly every time)

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Some ramblings-
I keep forgetting your mount can double jump,
I keep forgetting I can jump and attack,
The ambient music adds a lot to the world
You can drop a long way without hurting yourself

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I found the open world in ER to be more captivating than in BOTW. Took me longer time to get "into" the world in BOTW than in ER.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I believe some bosses, and possibly some regular mobs too, can only be fought on horseback. Just beat a dragon whose attack patterns were impossible to dodge or run away from on foot.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I’m a sad puppy. rekt by
some crystal lizard
rekt by
a flame throwing lizard
and absolutely trounced by motherfucking
Knight of Caria

I don’t have anything against good old farming but at 1000xp a pop, my great spot is becoming slow at level 47 (more or less 16k to level up).

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
You can drop a long way without hurting yourself
You can say that again!

I play most of the game with the same people I've played the Souls game with before, and basically every drop in the beginning we were like "you can't survive that". Then we started joking that at some point we'll be so used to it that we'll end up jumping down some unreasonably huge ledge which still kills you.

But yeah, if you played a lot of Souls it's a huge change to get used to. I've had multiple occasions where I was sure I was dead, only to not even take fall damage.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Good point -- I am aware, it's just that we are all Souls "veterans" I guess and were used to being able to tell at a glance ;)

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Well I'm at the 26 hour mark and I've had my first seething moment. :mad:

Lost two levels worth of runes because I got stuck on a fence! Two doggies and a heavy Lance knight just juggled me like a chew toy once i couldn't move. >_<

URGHHHH. It's frustrating to lose a whole hours worth of EXP.

.... but we carry on. That's how these games be.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I ended up at a spooky mage school tonight. I think I need to rethink my defenses or else come back a bit later. These magic users are kicking my teeth in. Probably should focus elsewhere for a bit and put some damn points into Vigor. The Int or Dex are so tempting though!

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I feel like I'm wrapping up the South section, just finished Morne Castle. which was a lot of fun. The boss got me a few times because of how aggressive it was. There was some prisoner that I don't know how to free.

The great thing about this game is you think you have seen 90-100% of the south section, but it's probably more like 50-60%.. Then you add in that it will be the same for the northern sections and you will have a lot of replays.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I'm now getting the blood splat ghosts appear which is good. Helps a bit to see how people died.

• This!
Reactions: Li Kao

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
FPS, FOV unlocker, and runes cheat: GitHub - uberhalit/EldenRingFpsUnlockAndMore: A small utility to remove frame rate limit, change FOV, add widescreen support and more for Elden Ring

From the same guys that makes Sekiro FPS Unlocker and more. Make sure the game is running in offline mode and the AntiCheat (EAC) isn't running.

How to disable the anti cheat:
It works but not much use for me atm since I'm using a gtx 1070. They fixed the fullscreen refresh rate but since the game is DX12, I found the borderless mode works with gysnc just fine for me.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Wondwr how many smiting stones there are in a playthrough, I'm upgrading my 3rd weapon and am short of the first tier ones, although I've only finished Stormveil Castle

• Gib
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Wondwr how many smiting stones there are in a playthrough, I'm upgrading my 3rd weapon and am short of the first tier ones, although I've only finished Stormveil Castle
There is at least a way
to buy tier 1/2

Reactions: Stevey

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Does anyone else find the weapon infusing a bit convoluted? Like I want to make my Bastard Sword Quality but to do that I need to change its weapon art? I'm sure it's not too difficult, I'm just unsure of it.

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Stormveil Castle. Godrick really is much easier than Margrit as long as you have the NPC summon with you.

Felt very much like a Dark Souls area which I didn't enjoy nearly as much as the open-world parts I was exploring before that, so I'm glad to be moving on northwards now.
So errr, after installing the patch i now crash to desktop when loading into the game. Happened 3 times in a row. :crying-face:
Yea, saw a bunch of people reporting worse performance and crashes after this patch on the steam forums. Might be a good idea to not update for now.

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Yea, saw a bunch of people reporting worse performance and crashes after this patch on the steam forums. Might be a good idea to not update for now.
I validated Steam files and it loaded but its crashed once since playing. Hadn't crashed before.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It crashed once for me before this new patch, nothing much was happening, it just started raining while a flower thing was firing off that white blasts spell...

Anyway, I finally managed to beat Margit, The Fell Omen and am making some progress, it seems like an overpowered boss compared to what you've fought up to that point and also what comes after in the castle itself (but I guess there will be more tough situations in there eventually).

I've explored quite a bit while I couldn't make real progress and this is the first area that feels intricately designed & Souls-like, other small castles, catacombs etc., had glimpses where they weren't just a straight path and required falls and jumps with tricky enemy placement, but not so much.

What's up with spirit summoning being inconsistent, some times I can't pull my wolves or whatever in a boss I could do so in other tries (in others never), then more often than not I can't summon again if they die (with replenished FP), are there hidden cooldowns and rules or is it just random?

Reactions: lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
What's up with spirit summoning being inconsistent, some times I can't pull my wolves or whatever in a boss I could do so in other tries (in others never), then more often than not I can't summon again if they die (with replenished FP), are there hidden cooldowns and rules or is it just random?
You can only summon pets when the gate-like symbol is visible on the left side of the screen. From my experience, I think you can summon in every boss arena, be it a major or minor boss, while summoning against world bosses are dependent on where you fight them as some zones in the overworld allow summons and others don't.
The "why" summoning is tied to the location is a mystery.

• This!
Reactions: --------