|OT| Elden Ring - Foul Tarnished, in search of the Elden Ring

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

This is a thread to talk about Elden Ring.

It's like Dark Souls, except in a large open world, without importing the vast majority of bullshit that makes open world games suck. And with co-op. A pretty amazing achievement really.

Please mark spoilers (even just minor ones, like anything other than early-game locations and NPCs.

Here's a screenshot (from an early-game location):

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
That seems like a bit of an overkill, just summon people :p
Also, by "any boss" do you mean main story boss or even just the bosses in some of the smaller caves/dungeons? Because a few of those really aren't that menacing.

Anyway, this is my favourite NPC design so far (very early NPC encounter, like ~2 hours in, spoiler'd it nonetheless)

Dec 5, 2018
Been playing for about 6 hours, defeated a couple of side bosses (those in caves) before even finding the maiden, which is nuts to me, that I could keep all my souls runes until then.

I'm in the castle now, I beat the first (?) story boss and now I'm exploring the castle even beat that spider thingy I know it's not a spider but don't know what to call it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Durante At the moment I have problems even with stronger enemies, since I have never really played any souls likes and hate bosses in regular games. But I have fun just exploring the world! I think I started with a wrong class, the bandit. But I'm trying to find better gear for him so that I'm not totally useless against bosses.

Reactions: QFNS and LEANIJA

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Decided to do some co-op and help people out with Margit.

And wow only one life + one magic flask in a 3v1. The fight was even harder in coop than singleplayer :LOL:

Durante At the moment I have problems even with stronger enemies, since I have never really played any souls likes and hate bosses in regular games. But I have fun just exploring the world! I think I started with a wrong class, the bandit. But I'm trying to find better gear for him so that I'm not totally useless against bosses.
Keep exploring and find some good weapons. Upgrade the weapons too. The starting armor for most classes is pretty weak and you basically get one shot by some of the early bosses. But once you upgrade a few things here n there..come back and it will be easier. Also don't take too many risks with runes. Level up every chance you get because there is so much more danger/risk carrying them around while exploring as enemies farther out are brutal.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
That makes sense, I can imagine it's a very different experience without hundreds of hours of Soulslikes under your belt. That said, I'd still suggest considering summoning some help, particularly for bosses. Despite the hemming and hawwing of some people in the Souls community, IMHO co-op is a huge part of the fun and obviously part of how From wants theses games to be played.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Speaking of equipment I’m unsure about what to choose for my vagabond in weapon/armor/shield. I’m very vanilla knight in shining armor in most games, so health / endurance were my priorities, but as the smithing rocks are common but not that common at the start of the game I get trepidations when it comes to upgrading.

I have a Lordsworn’s Straight Sword which does the job, but maybe I’m wrong. A quick glance at a wiki seems to confirm it’s suitable as the ’better’ swords are located behind Margrit anyways.
Armor I should check but it’s the starter one or a variation.
Shield is the golden one.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Li Kao
I don't really know a lot about melee equipment since I focus so much on Sorcery in all these games.

That said, I believe the whole topic is much more interesting / less defined in Souls games anyway, since there are so many more things to consider than in most other games. Stats and stat scaling are important of course, but since there are tons of move sets associated with different weapons I think it's hard to define a "best" one there, since it really depends on what you prefer. Same goes for the balance of size against speed etc.

Reactions: QFNS and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Still about weapons, that feel when you get some enchant and you sword will do less physical damage but also grossly the same in sacred dama… wait, this shit scales on Faith :cryingwhyblob:

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I also don't understand how the bell works (as in when you are actually allowed to use it), but I also rarely have the opportunity to even try since I mostly play in coop.

From what I saw there are also still some NPC summons at the major bosses.

Reactions: QFNS

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
You mean to summon stuff? I can summon wolves but not sure how it works, sometimes I can and sometimes I'm out of charges it seems.
It's convoluted, classical From. You can summon
near some statue (basically in Points of Interest) and in boss fights.
Only
one summon, no re-summoning once your admittedly great wolves have bite the dust.

Oh yeah there is a blue icon on the left of the screen to tell you you are able to summon.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
There will be a white gravestone icon on the left of the screen if you are in an area where you can summon them.
Also, it's like Pokemon. You can collect a bunch of different ones.

edit: i didn't spoiler that info as it's given to you in the tool-tips and screens.

• Disapproval
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
There will be a white gravestone icon on the left of the screen if you are in an area where you can summon them.
Also, it's like Pokemon. You can collect a bunch of different ones.
I see we are in a what color is this dress argument :thinking-blob:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
okaaayyyyy... There will be a pale gravestone icon on the left of the screen if you are in an area where you can summon them.

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
I´m not sure what weapon to use at the start, everything seems pretty weak. I've been dual wielding the scimitars you get as a starter weapon but their DEX scaling sucks

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I´m not sure what weapon to use at the start, everything seems pretty weak. I've been dual wielding the scimitars you get as a starter weapon but their DEX scaling sucks
Mmh, please excuse me in advance but...
...did you try finger ?

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I've done the first boss and am in the subsequent area.
Going for a Quality build like I always do.
Found a sword that was slightly better than the starter one.
About level 20ish so far.

Only 6 hours in but I think this is my favourite From game by a wide margin.

Also, has anyone found/ know if there's covenants?

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I'm about 4 hours in and am still running around in my pants bonking people with a club. Where the fek are the weapons and armour in this game!?

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Sorry, bad joke :cryblob:
I quickly checked and no one seemed to have mentioned the 'try finger, but hole' thing.
All good lol. In other news, I tried to take down the tree sentinel and I clearly am too weak for it

Reactions: lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Making progress, got myself a hat and a sword. Managed to kill a couple of side bosses. Bit lost as to where to go, I think i preferred the original Dark Souls design with a more linear path but i am enjoying it so hopefully the open world-ness will grow on me.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
So I already defeated Godrick in Stormveil Castle and I'm still finding things and places that I haven't found before!

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Do we need to summon NPCs to do their quests like in DS2 or is it optional?
Found this amazon-looking gal that is voluntering to help in the 2nd boss but I have a no-summons rule but also don't want to break their quest line.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
The Katana's unsheathe ability is really strong + it has the blood loss status attached it. Give it a try.

I preferred to take down the tree sentinel in meele range since the horse combat is clunky. Don't find it enjoyable.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm about 4 hours in and am still running around in my pants bonking people with a club. Where the fek are the weapons and armour in this game!?
I was also wondering that for a while, and to some extent still am, but my current working theory is that this is just a result of the game getting much bigger. So if they have a similar selection of equipment, finding new stuff will be spaced further apart. I actually don't mind if that's the case, it was a bit silly how in some of the Souls game some full set of armor or a new weapon would be around every 4 corners. Fun, but also a bit silly.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I was also wondering that for a while, and to some extent still am, but my current working theory is that this is just a result of the game getting much bigger. So if they have a similar selection of equipment, finding new stuff will be spaced further apart. I actually don't mind if that's the case, it was a bit silly how in some of the Souls game some full set of armor or a new weapon would be around every 4 corners. Fun, but also a bit silly.
Yep agreed. After about 3 more hours play today i am discovering more areas and gear. It does feel much bigger and so makes sense to spread thing out.

I also feel like the frame rate is improving the more i play but i may just be imagining/getting use to it.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Is there a Metacouncil multiplayer group password? Might be nice to engage in some jolly cooperation with fellow MCers.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
The Katana's unsheathe ability is really strong + it has the blood loss status attached it. Give it a try.

I preferred to take down the tree sentinel in meele range since the horse combat is clunky. Don't find it enjoyable.
I'll give that a try, I found one in a dungeon. Do you 2-hand Katanas or dual wield them?

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
I'll give that a try, I found one in a dungeon. Do you 2-hand Katanas or dual wield them?
You can 1 or 2-hand them. But you need to 2-hand if you plan on using unsheathe. I'm cycling through both 2-hand attacks & shield + uchigatana depending on what enemy I'm facing. If you want a dual wield weapon that scales off DEX and is somewhat fast, then youll find one in the first castle.

• Love
Reactions: Gevin

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Defeated
Godrick
and then have been wandering around exploring. So many places I'm revisiting and clobbering bosses that I ran from before. Tree Sentinel get bopped.

I think I'm loving a bit of Dex and Int in my build. Some spells and then going in with a flail or sword.

Man if y'all can get your hands on a bleed weapon, I recommend it. The bleed effect is pretty strong in lots of bosses I've seen this far.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Man if y'all can get your hands on a bleed weapon, I recommend it. The bleed effect is pretty strong in lots of bosses I've seen this far.
Yep, very strong. During Godrick's "ahhh time to chop off my arm" animation phase, he's invulnerable to damage, but you can still continue to build up bleed on him and if you manage to pop it right before the cutscene, he'll take damage. :p

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I just don't understand how to beat the first giant, he flails around so chaotically that there is no rhythm. When I get to attack my guys goes between his legs and gets crushed.XD

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Love the game and after being addicted for over 30 hours already the best thing they got right might be the horse combat, feels like second nature to use now and so fun and fluid (and strong).

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I just don't understand how to beat the first giant, he flails around so chaotically that there is no rhythm. When I get to attack my guys goes between his legs and gets crushed.XD
The pets you can summon are trash at fighting but they also have other uses...

You can 1 or 2-hand them. But you need to 2-hand if you plan on using unsheathe. I'm cycling through both 2-hand attacks & shield + uchigatana depending on what enemy I'm facing. If you want a dual wield weapon that scales off DEX and is somewhat fast, then youll find one in the first castle.
The bolded isn't an absolute truth. Your left arm weapon skill takes precedence over your right arm weapon skill but if the left one doesn't have a skill you can use your weapon art one-handed, and there's a 100% shield with no skill very early on.

Reactions: Le Pertti

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Yeah that’s the one and yeah been trying to cut his knees, well didn’t know that was the point but it is pretty much the only place I reach haha
Well I was mistaken. My previous recommendation was writen thinking the giant you were talking about was the 1st big boss. Keep that in mind for later but in this case the solution is much more simple:

You have a horse, there's no locked arena, you can just run uphill and continue your journey. Those giants are normal enemies, just a bit tougher, there's no need to fight them.