News Epic Games Store

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
3 months isn't THAT long :p especially for a game that's not gaas ... ubi might be able to "afford" selling AssCreed 50% off a month after release because they just want to hook more whales ... that's not really the case here
At this point the game should be getting 10-15% off. 30% at most if sales are pretty front-loaded.

40% is an unmitigated disaster for a game less than 9 months old.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
3 months isn't THAT long :p especially for a game that's not gaas ... ubi might be able to "afford" selling AssCreed 50% off a month after release because they just want to hook more whales ... that's not really the case here
My bad, forget what I said, I read too fast. I thought you were saying that the release was a month ago, instead of opening my eyes and processing that you were talking about the lenght of the sale.

Told you before that in some cases, my English might causes epic fails :steam_cleanseal:

Reactions: lashman

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I think they were expecting more of the Fortnite crowd to branch out and buy some of these games, but we all know that if a kid has $20 to spend on the EPS, that money is going towards more Fortnite MTXs.
Which confused me why don't Epic make a promotion where buying a certain game on EGS gives you a free skin for Fortnite. Steam did it for several games, I remember I bought FF Type 0 and it gives me a Dota 2 skin which I sold for quite a lot of money.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
Steam did it for several games, I remember I bought FF Type 0 and it gives me a Dota 2 skin which I sold for quite a lot of money.
And that money came back on your wallet after Valve's cut, then you spent all that money on their store :p But you're right, it's not the worst way to keep customers in your store.

By the way, does the EGS have a wallet system ?

BillyBawb

May 23, 2019
Which confused me why don't Epic make a promotion where buying a certain game on EGS gives you a free skin for Fortnite. Steam did it for several games, I remember I bought FF Type 0 and it gives me a Dota 2 skin which I sold for quite a lot of money.
If I had to guess, Fortnite has a far stronger mobile/console base then TF2/DOTA 2. They don't want people feeling they're screwed by not buying stuff on a PC platform.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
At this point the game should be getting 10-15% off. 30% at most if sales are pretty front-loaded.

Observation is a game that appeals to a VERY niche audience. I am sure the devs understood this and took the payday because they knew they would never get anywhere close to that amount in sales. And I'm sure Epic has made only a fraction of the money they fronted back. This smells like the EGS trying to recoup some of that loss.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I think they were expecting more of the Fortnite crowd to branch out and buy some of these games, but we all know that if a kid has $20 to spend on the EGS, that money is going towards more Fortnite MTXs.
yeah, there's no chance in hell people are spending that money on anything else than those shitty "micro"transactions

yeah, pretty much this

epic fails
:steam_cleanseal:

If I had to guess, Fortnite has a far stronger mobile/console base then TF2/DOTA 2. They don't want people feeling they're screwed by not buying stuff on a PC platform.
yes, it's exactly this (if i had to guess) ☝

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Observation is a game that appeals to a VERY niche audience. I am sure the devs understood this and took the payday because they knew they would never get anywhere close to that amount in sales. And I'm sure Epic has made only a fraction of the money they fronted back. This smells like the EGS trying to recoup some of that loss.
And that's the problem. Extra niche games need to be presented to as many people as possible. And not on a store with a limited amount of people and a controversy around it.
The Fortnite crowd wasn't interested. How surprising.

The games media is right, the game wasn't a financial disaster thanks to epics money. But it also had no chance to sell to as many costumers as possible, gather a following and make fans.
It's dead, no sequel, nothing similar and no encouragement to make a new very niche product again.

Short term win and distribution, long term negative effect and a bitter aftertaste.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
The games media is right, the game wasn't a financial disaster thanks to epics money. But it also had no chance to sell to as many costumers as possible, gather a following and make fans.
It's dead, no sequel, nothing similar and no encouragement to make a new very niche product again.

Short term win and distribution, long term negative effect and a bitter aftertaste.
This is pretty much what we've been saying would happen all along, but the argument is conveniently dismissed because it doesn't fall in line with the "Epic is saving Indies" narrative the media and sycophants have running. Only time will prove us right,

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Does EGS even run on Win XP?

Fez.

It's the hard to see, blurry spoiler tag that you need to click on.
Thnx. Totally couldn't see that on my monitor. I hate it when you ask "what game" and you get anything except a straight answer.

Fez... already own, played through most of it, couldn't figure it out eventually, there will never be a Fez 2, pass.

Reactions: ISee and MJunioR

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The Steam forums of Hades are filled with toxic posts towards the devs. While supergiant does deserve to be critisized for being the ones introducing store exclusivity deals on pc with Epic, people should learn to behave themselves. This is more fuel for Epic and the media against the forums on Steam.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
That's it, it's a copy paste from Steam page

System Requirements
Windows
Mac OS X
SteamOS + Linux

• MINIMUM:
    • OS:Windows XP SP3 (for Version 1.11, accessible through the 'Betas' tab)
    • Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz or equivalent
    • Memory:2 GB RAM
    • Graphics:2nd Generation Intel Core HD Graphics (2000/3000), or dedicated GPU with OpenGL 3.0 Support
    • Hard Drive:500 MB HD space
    • Sound:OpenAL-compatible
    • Additional:See https://getsatisfaction.com/polytron/topics/support_for_intel_integrated_graphics_hardwarefor details on Intel HD Graphics support, not all models are supported. Latest graphics drivers are required to maximize OpenGL feature compatibility.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
The Steam forums of Hades are filled with toxic posts towards the devs. While supergiant does deserve to be critisized for being the ones introducing store exclusivity deals on pc with Epic, people should learn to behave themselves. This is more fuel for Epic and the media against the forums on Steam.
Yeah, while they won't speak about this being a problem on the whole Internet, not especially on Steam.

Reactions: Crayon and Ge0force

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
Doesn't really matter that much tbh.

It gives them more fuel, but the articles would be written even if the proportion of nice to nasty comments was 99:1. That's like a classic tactic of clickbait "newswriting" for the past few years.

"PEOPLE ARE SAYING ____"

then proceeds to embed tweets from five random Twitter accounts with a combined follower count of 28

You can find any dickweed saying anything on the internet, which means you can write a headline about whatever "nastiness" you want. So again, eh.

Crayon

Schizofantastic
May 25, 2019
Doesn't really matter that much tbh.

It gives them more fuel, but the articles would be written even if the proportion of nice to nasty comments was 99:1. That's like a classic tactic of clickbait "newswriting" for the past few years.

"PEOPLE ARE SAYING ____"

then proceeds to embed tweets from five random Twitter accounts with a combined follower count of 28

You can find any dickweed saying anything on the internet, which means you can write a headline about whatever "nastiness" you want. So again, eh.
Yeah all this. Valve is never going to be able to do anything right.

Valve does no outreach or evangelism. I still think it's for the best in the end, but this is one of the downsides.

It'd be an interesting conversation and itself, but I don't know if we have any experts on social marketing, etc.

Reactions: Samson and lashman

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Likewise, not only for the flippant comments but simply because exclusivity needs to die in a fire. If I reward them with Steam sales after the timer expires, then it signals to them that taking those deals is consequence-free. That it's okay to take the money and then get the sales anyway.

I'd rather send a message with my wallet. Besides, not playing their game is perhaps one of the worst fate for a developer who relies on hype and being an indie darling.
If Hades doesn't outsell EGS on Steam, it will justify the dev's decision to take the buyout.

The industry needs EGS to take the L.

Reactions: C-Dub

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I do not want any game to flop -extreme examples excluded- but the developers aligned with Epic should really understand that where there is action, happens a reaction.

People should respect business decisions - not so Metro Exodus, Shenmue 3 or Phoenix Point scummy ones - but Devs should respect and understand the consumer backlash, the harsh but civilized one and not the 12yo death threat hysteria which gives them the valid excuse of being bullied and conveniently ignore the real issues.

I hope Hades performs well and I also hope that Supergiant will stop associate themselves with Sweeneys.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com

Banco not a fan of exclusivity.
Which means Little Nightmares II won't be an Epic Exclusive, thank god. That was the only announcement during Gamescom that would have broken me if it went exclusive.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

Good for them, hopefully they don't pull a Devolver in the future.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

I really want to love Bandai but I can't with their regional pricing. Still, good to see that their reps still have their heads right.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Which means Little Nightmares II won't be an Epic Exclusive, thank god. That was the only announcement during Gamescom that would have broken me if it went exclusive.
afaik - none of Bamco games will be egsclusive ... for now, at least ... that might change later on, but for now they won't do it

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

I was already planning on buying pretty much all of Namco's currently announced PC line up but now I think they definitely deserve my money.

as long as SEGA Europe and Namco keep bringing games to Steam, Ill keep giving them my money.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Japanese publishers are inherently reluctant to support Western Pc digital storefronts in the first place, but if thy were going to pick one to support its far more likely to be the one that supports the payment method they themselves are more comfortable with - prepaid cards - than the one that doesn't support that to hit its arbitrary 88/12 point.