News Epic Games Store

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I can't imagine the devs of those games would be so happy with them going free as they launch on Steam?
yeah, Hades probably won't .... but Ashen - i wouldn't be surprised if it did

why? well first of all - that would mean another bag of money

second - it's not up to the devs ... it's up to Annapurna ... and we already know what their stance is ...

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
i fully expect that to happen ... i already said as much like 2 months ago
I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happened.
Then the Steam number won't be higher than EGS' number because it's given for free and Tim will use it to flaunt numbers again.
I can't imagine the devs of those games would be so happy with them going free as they launch on Steam?
Re: devaluing games. People won't care and will cheer and praise Epic tho.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Re: devaluing games. People won't care and will cheer and praise Epic tho.
People still complain today about how the Steam sales are shit now because game X is not 90% off. The race to the bottom of those first sales did some lasting damage to the perceived value of games. I can't even think how bad is going to get after all these free games (and to be fair, the $1/free gamepass offers).
Hopefully, till the next summer something will change.
For 505, the EGS deal is probably the best thing about Control "sales", so I'm not very hopeful.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Don't automatically assume that Tim will still be willing to throw away money until next summer.
Yeah, wasn't there supposed to be a time limit for how long eggs was going to do this exclusive strategy? or am i thinking of the free games? Im sure i remember reading that it would be for the first year and then they would stop?

But i guess epic has infinite money and so can just carry on until they feel they have won enough of the market share. I suspect that Tim thought by this time that the epic store would have become fairly successful and so would have no need to keep shelling out for exclusives.

Reactions: Ge0force

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah, wasn't there supposed to be a time limit for how long eggs was going to do this exclusive strategy? or am i thinking of the free games? Im sure i remember reading that it would be for the first year and then they would stop?

But i guess epic has infinite money and so can just carry on until they feel they have won enough of the market share. I suspect that Tim thought by this time that the epic store would have become fairly successful and so would have no need to keep shelling out for exclusives.
it was supposed to be 1 year for free games (and i VERY seriously doubt they'll stop in January)

for egsclusives they only really said they'll "eventually slow down" but never stop

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I lost any shred of respect i had for EGS when they started doing the EXACT same things they railed against Steam for doing and yet they are doing NONE of the things that people praise Steam for offering. So Sales and Freebies, sure but improving the Client and offering a better service, nah.

Buncha Charlatans.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm afraid he will keep doing this for many years. Epic has the money to do so, and their goal is too keep an entire generation of gamers away from Steam.
pretty much this

i suspect the ONLY reason why they even said they'd slow down with exclusives was because they thought that by now some (if not most) of the big publishers will be coming to them on their own, not even asking for moneybags

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
yeah, Hades probably won't .... but Ashen - i wouldn't be surprised if it did

why? well first of all - that would mean another bag of money

second - it's not up to the devs ... it's up to Annapurna ... and we already know what their stance is ...
petting the cat on my lap
"Tell you what. We will make your game free for the week before the exclusivity ends. We still have 80% of the guaranteed sales at our disposal. Every id--- customer who claims the game and downloads it in that week will count as 1 sale until all units are gone. We will pay 10% for every unit after that."

It would be stupid for Epic to pay the dev again if there are still thousands of unsold units.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
We'll see, I think they will re-evaluate their position after the first year.
I hope you're right. But their conclusion will obviously be that they get an influx of customers for their store whenever a new exclusive game is being released.

This said, Origin and the Windows Store already proved that exclusives don't lead to customers' loyalty when better alternatives are available.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
petting the cat on my lap
"Tell you what. We will make your game free for the week before the exclusivity ends. We still have 80% of the guaranteed sales at our disposal. Every id--- customer who claims the game and downloads it in that week will count as 1 sale until all units are gone. We will pay 10% for every unit after that."

It would be stupid for Epic to pay the dev again if there are still thousands of unsold units.
Even so, I could still see developers/publisher filing lawsuits over something like that. Whether they'd win or not would be another matter entirely, especially if a developer was dumb enough to sign a contract vague enough to be interpreted in a way that Epic could get away with it.

Reactions: lashman and Kyougar

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Huh, looks like the new redesign has a top selling and most popular section, and it's enlightening reading.

From the picks of games within those lists it doesn't seem like many titles are doing that well.
It's either the big exclusives of renown (e.g. BL3, Outer Worlds), F2P (Fortnite, Dauntless) and then old indie titles that have already been given away for free 🤔

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Huh, looks like the new redesign has a top selling and most popular section, and it's enlightening reading.

From the picks of games within those lists it doesn't seem like many titles are doing that well.
It's either the big exclusives of renown (e.g. BL3, Outer Worlds), F2P (Fortnite, Dauntless) and then old indie titles that have already been given away for free 🤔
Also interesting is how older games (and even not-so-old games like WRC 8) aren't on the front page anymore. The lack of personalized recommendations must really hurt sales for EGS exclusive games in the long run.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
What I like the most is that, on another forum (not that one, another one in french), you can find people to praise EGS out of nowhere (even had one self-declared "neutral" about EGS but posted on EGS thread to make fun of Steam being down yesterday :suicide-blob: ), but no one actually follows what's really happening on EGS.

No one noticed the new design of the store.

It's just people following the movement shitting on Steam for no reason and praising EGS to feel like they're the elite, while they're just sheeps.

Anyway, redesigning EGS is a good idea in itself, but making it look like Steam with the same sections (top selling and most popular) is acknowledging that Steam was right years ago and that Epic is just following the leader.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

Manifold Garden at #19 already and Afterparty comes out today but its not even on the list. Talk about a yikes.

Im enjoying Afterparty on XGP (not PC) tho so thanks Microsoft

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
So with Jedi Fallen Order coming to Steam...

Do you think that Tim tired to get this one for eggs? If he did then did EA turn him down?

Reactions: lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

Do you think that Tim tired to get this one for eggs? If he did then did EA turn him down?
It's possible, but he can't offer EA something he doesn't have. If EA's goal is, as stated, to get their games in the hands of as many customers as possible then EGS is a terrible option, regardless of moneyhat.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

I think EA is tracking daily unique Origin visits, subscription numbers and pre order numbers. I also think those numbers are rather disappointing and diminishing. Anthem, the last NfS, Battlefront 2 and Andromeda stigmatized EA.
Steam is where most PC players are sitting, Steam is where most PC players are happy to buy from. I think Jedi Fallen Order must be a success story or the mouse is going to be very unhappy with EA. Partnering with Steam, to address an audience EA is about to loose is the logical decision. EPIC is the risky rebel with dubious morals and not what EA currently needs. If EA wants to survive on more than sports games, they need to avoid future controversies and make positive headlines. EPIC was never even considered as a partner imo.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
He slowly had shifted his tone from 88/12 ( probably because there were too many stories about games not getting on the store) to multistore future that HE made possible. That is a shift from dev/pub focus to consumer focus. He and the pubs found out that most sheeps... err consumers don't care about the cut. So multistore as a talking point looks better for customer relations PR.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

If EA took Epic's cash, a lot of it wouldn't end up in EA's pocket, I imagine some of that deal would see money go back to the mouse house, so it wouldn't be in EA's favour not to maximize sales numbers to keep as much cash for itself as possible

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The "new" multistore world when talking about EA going back to Steam after having its own store long enough before EGS to not even be considered "new".

Also love how he doesn't wanna burn bridges with EA so is making a nice post when he's been basically openly saying Steam is evil incarnate previously.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
The "new" multistore world when talking about EA going back to Steam after having its own store long enough before EGS to not even be considered "new".

Also love how he doesn't wanna burn bridges with EA so is making a nice post when he's been basically openly saying Steam is evil incarnate previously.
Not sure why he's worried about burning bridges with them. EA said themselves that they view EGS as a direct competitor. Unless Fornite is no longer a thing, I don't think there's any walking back over that bridge.