News Epic Games Store

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
"Division 2 best selling uplay title of all time" or something like that.
But you get the stinky eye when you argue that the stat is meaningless.
yeah, exactly ... it's always so funny when we get those "X is our BEST SELLING GAME OF ALL TIME" news ... and i see all those smug people on twitter posting stuff like "bUt ThE sToReFrOnT mAtTeRs!!" or "guess the storefront really doesn't matter, huh?" etc.

and then a few months later we get news like that ....

Last edited:

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
The Division 2 at least was luck enough to be sold on a bunch of 3rd party key sellers before got pulled because EGS, and even that didn't help, I'm extremely curious to see the PC numbers for Ubisoft next shareholders thing they do every year, last year PC was the top dog, if the numbers drops too much this year, what shareholders will say? Maybe Ubi will be forced to go back to Steam, and that would be a huge blow for Timmy and his gang.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
The Division 2 at least was luck enough to be sold on a bunch of 3rd party key sellers before got pulled because EGS, and even that didn't help, I'm extremely curious to see the PC numbers for Ubisoft next shareholders thing they do every year, last year PC was the top dog, if the numbers drops too much this year, what shareholders will say? Maybe Ubi will be forced to go back to Steam, and that would be a huge blow for Timmy and his gang.
Shareholders will definitely wonder how many copies their main titles sold on Epic compared to their 2018 releases that released on Steam since Ubi basically replaced one with the other.

There's plenty of ways that Ubi can defend Epic if they plan to extend their deal going forward next year. However, if Ubi wants to return to Steam or go alone starting next year they will probably say something in the lines of 'we will reevaluate our distribution strategy in the PC market going forward'

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Rainbow six siege: the red-headed step-child that only got attention from ubi when it had insane legs, released on Steam and uplay and is constantly on Steams Top 5 for years.
Division 2: The poster-child of Ubisoft, Egs and uplay exclusive, disappointing sales.

Find the difference.

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
Whilst I'm sure not being on Steam and being exclusive to UPlay/EGS has something to do with it I think it's more a case of folks can only have so many of these GAAS titles being played at any one time, there's gonna be a point when you reach saturation. Division 2 released far too close to Division 1 IMO, it should have been a paid expansion at a cheaper price for the first game and incorporated into it IMO. You're asking people to put all this time into it and to then just abandon the work they've put in for a sequel a short time later. This is fine say 4 - 5 years later (at the earliest), but only 3 ? Hell at the minute I've only got time for Destiny 2 as an ongoing game and even then I've got family commitments to take care of as I'm sure many folks here have. There's nothing wrong with smaller games Ubisoft, not every game has to be 100 hours long at least.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019

no platform split (because of course)

but there is some good news too:
Most of this is probably explained by it being the September revenue, and therefore being the first month kids are back in school - Fortnite’s main demographic - but there’s no denying “worst month since November 2017.” We may be in the home stretch, folks.

At least Epic was there to help poor Ubi
OH NO. HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED. WOE BE TO UBI, WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019
I have to admit this has all been a total eye opener for me. If the media brag that a game did well on EGS it's "see steam is irrelevant" then if it emerges said game doesn't do well as the bullshitters said it becomes "yeah well the fact it wasn't on steam had nothing to do with this". I mean I never realised the number 1 premiere game distribution service for the PC platform for 15 years running was so "unimportant" and apparently has absolutely zero effect on how well your game performs. I mean it makes perfect sense really why would ignoring a distribution platform that has over 90 million users have any effect on your game sales ................ /s

However whatever the reason for this it is gratifying that this is kinda blowing up in the greedy fuckers face and it is especially nice to see Ubisoft suffering because they sure as hell made pc gamers suffer in the beginning with their bullshit about PC gamers being pirates and then making that god awful Uplay client mandatory.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Oh no, EGS exclusives underperformed? Who could have seen this coming?
Well to be honest before this we just know that D2 console is underperformed and uPlay sold 10 times D1 sales number. It could be that console D2 didn't sell at all thus make the game underperformed. It may have something to do with EGSclusive but idk.
I have to admit this has all been a total eye opener for me. If the media brag that a game did well on EGS it's "see steam is irrelevant" then if it emerges said game doesn't do well as the bullshitters said it becomes "yeah well the fact it wasn't on steam had nothing to do with this". I mean I never realised the number 1 premiere game distribution service for the PC platform for 15 years running was so "unimportant" and apparently has absolutely zero effect on how well your game performs. I mean it makes perfect sense really why would ignoring a distribution platform that has over 90 million users have any effect on your game sales ................ /s

However whatever the reason for this it is gratifying that this is kinda blowing up in the greedy fuckers face and it is especially nice to see Ubisoft suffering because they sure as hell made pc gamers suffer in the beginning with their bullshit about PC gamers being pirates and then making that god awful Uplay client mandatory.
Won't stop people from slapping Metro Exodus, WWZ, Satisfactory, and Borderlands 3 "five days sales" to your face though.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Correction, it sold 10 times D1 sales number on uPlay
which is not hard when the only other alternative is egs.

So basically how I read this statement is that some of the Steam customers followed them to uPlay, but many more did not.
Yeah that's what I thought too. They were so happy to brag about how much more they sold D2 copies on Uplay and now they're saying it was not good enough ? Could bad console numbers explain such an overall bad result ?

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
Yeah that's what I thought too. They were so happy to brag about how much more they sold D2 copies on Uplay and now they're saying it was not good enough ? Could bad console numbers explain such an overall bad result ?
Be sure that if there was something positive to say about it they would have slapped at least a note on that call (Be copies sold, uplay user gain number thanks to the games released and so on), you don't omit good news at all when you talk at your shareholders

Reactions: lashman and Ruvon

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Whilst I'm sure not being on Steam and being exclusive to UPlay/EGS has something to do with it I think it's more a case of folks can only have so many of these GAAS titles being played at any one time, there's gonna be a point when you reach saturation. Division 2 released far too close to Division 1 IMO, it should have been a paid expansion at a cheaper price for the first game and incorporated into it IMO. You're asking people to put all this time into it and to then just abandon the work they've put in for a sequel a short time later. This is fine say 4 - 5 years later (at the earliest), but only 3 ? Hell at the minute I've only got time for Destiny 2 as an ongoing game and even then I've got family commitments to take care of as I'm sure many folks here have. There's nothing wrong with smaller games Ubisoft, not every game has to be 100 hours long at least.
When you are making a GaaS in a grossly oversaturated market, of course all these factors count. Another factor that counts is visibility, and Ubisoft made their GaaS titles invisible. We're at a point now where consumers eyes will just glaze over any GaaS that doesn't ding all their dongs, so to speak. I have no doubt that not being on Steam did nothing to help this game and Ubisoft may try to breathe a new lease of life into the game by releasing on Steam as soon as they are contractually allowed to.

I actually think a gaming store for Android is no bad thing. I wish Epic every bit of success with it! And I'm not being sarcastic here - I actually think they will be more welcome on Android where prices are much lower and margins are a lot tighter and piracy is a real and persistent problem. A good curated store with a better cut for developers and a quality service for gamers wouldn't go amiss, and I only wish Steam had done it first. But if Epic gets there first and does to Android what Valve did to PC then that's a very good thing for the platform.

I just wish they'd fuck off with their bullshit on PC.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I think I've said it here months ago (maybe somewhere else tho), the only good thing ever proposed by EGS was a cross-device store.
Like: buy a game once, own it on any available platform.

This, for the first time, is proper competition, and I hope Valve will pull off something similar, especially now that it has Dota Underlords on mobile, and has witnessed first hand how annoying it is to push multiplatform updates at the same time (tbh it was only the iOS review system delaying all the updates but still).

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
It wouldn't surprise me if someone at Valve has decided this is a problem worth solving, and that EGS being imminent on Android has lit a fire under their asses. I think Riot and EGS having their own versions of autochess demonstrated that Valve can and does get releases done quickly when they need to.

My phone and Shield TV welcome the upcoming Android store wars.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It doesn't matter if EGS exclusivity was not the main reason for the game underperforming. As long as the stink of failure is associated with EGS, it's all good.
I prefer to be intellectually honest about things so as not to have a cold wake-up call later. Breakpoint had a lot of reasons to flop other than EGS. I agree that the side-consequence is a good one though.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I prefer to be intellectually honest about things so as not to have a cold wake-up call later. Breakpoint had a lot of reasons to flop other than EGS. I agree that the side-consequence is a good one though.
Agreed, As I said, however, in a saturated GaaS market they weren't doing themselves any favours by avoiding the top PC storefront. But it's hard to say whether it would've moved the needle or not because the game seemingly flopped on the console platforms too.

Reactions: sk2k and lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Agreed, As I said, however, in a saturated GaaS market they weren't doing themselves any favours by avoiding the top PC storefront. But it's hard to say whether it would've moved the needle or not because the game seemingly flopped on the console platforms too.
many games flop on console and have a thriving PC community. Especially GaaS games. Just look at Rainbow Six siege, Correct me if I am wrong, but Siege is only active and successful on PC, right?

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I think it can be safely assumed though that EGS was one of those reasons.

Reactions: MJunioR

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
many games flop on console and have a thriving PC community. Especially GaaS games. Just look at Rainbow Six siege, Correct me if I am wrong, but Siege is only active and successful on PC, right?
I don't think so. It has always been high in the most played games list on Xbox.

Reactions: Samson

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I don't think so. It has always been high in the most played games list on Xbox.
Ok, thanks, never been big on Console player charts.

While we are at it: How does the Fortnite account work on Console? Would it be a seamless transition from one gen to another? or is it console-bound?
And if you are an Xbox player who didn't buy a PS4 because you don't have the disposable income to purchase 2 consoles, and want to switch to Playstation, would the Fortnite Account be a decision on getting another Console or quitting Fortnite? (because all your stuff is on the other console library.

ANOTHER thing: Any front-pay GaaS game from this point onward has to struggle with the transition into a new gen. Why invest into a console GaaS game if the generation comes to a close? Unless you specifically state that the current game will also release on the next console and you automatically have a PS5/Scarlett copy with all your stuff. If not, why invest into a GaaS game that either is dead with the next generation or you would have to start over with a new copy?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
While we are at it: How does the Fortnite account work on Console? Would it be a seamless transition from one gen to another? or is it console-bound?
And if you are an Xbox player who didn't buy a PS4 because you don't have the disposable income to purchase 2 consoles, and want to switch to Playstation, would the Fortnite Account be a decision on getting another Console or quitting Fortnite? (because all your stuff is on the other console library.
Back then it was seamless with a caveat, if your account touched the PSN then your purchased content wouldnt be available on other consoles. I think they fixed that with the Crossplay thingy.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Wow... you guys weren't kidding... over here the banner takes almost the whole page... :p, and it includes the review scores in a font bigger than the title.

Meanwhile "poor" World War Z is having a free weekend but you have to scroll down to see it.

Reactions: lashman

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
More than 12 hours since i filled out a refund request...... and just a automated reply that support staff will report back.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Snacks on popcorn
So the Epic Experiment has reached critical mass and the chinks are begging to show as it gradually crumbles and crashes down in a comically laughable manner?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ge0force

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Snacks on popcorn
So the Epic Experiment has reached critical mass and the chinks are begging to show as it gradually crumbles and crashes down in a comically laughable outcome?
That would be pretty sweet. But who knows, maybe Epic will surprise us and create an actually good platform that competes in a pro-consumer way.