News Epic Games Store

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
awww, that's a shame ... hopefully you'll get your refund soon
Still nothing. Just a reply in which they asked for which game i would like a refund. I already told them when i opened the support ticket. :disapproval-blob: Feels like the stone age.

EDIT: Refunded. This was my last expedition into EGS territory. Sorry Manifold Garden dev(s), i want your game on Steam.

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
FWIW, this is 100% not true. None of the sites work anymore, but the tracking sites used to show that PS4 actually had the biggest Siege playerbase. And this year it's been in the Top 10 PS4 downloads for like 8/9 months.

I haven't kept up with the community as much this year, but the estimates going into this year were something like Xbox and PS4 being 65-70% of the playerbase with PC making up the other 30-35%. It's actually been a long-running complaint of some console players that they feel their version deserves some more attention than it gets considering how much of the playerbase they constitute (they're probably not wrong).

Anyways, regardless of what the actual platform breakdown percents are, no Siege is not only active and successful on PC. The PS4 and Xbox communities are very healthy and active.

How many GaaS have flopped on console and thrived on PC though? Really how many GaaS have flopped at all? If anything, it would seem like the opposite is often true, because PC players are spoilt for choice and have a hardcore demographic with a lower tolerance for GaaS bullshit than you sometimes see on console.
I was already corrected :)

but other than that, what was the last successful new GaaS game?

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

The Epic Store might be brilliant for developers, but for end-users there’s frankly not much to recommended it over and above Steam. Currently, its best features are that it looks quite nice, buying games off it is straightforward, and it’s very easy to find a game that’s worth your time. But as the number of games on the store increases, it’s going to be crucial for Epic to nail good search and categorisation, or they won’t hang on to that third point for long. But even if the Epic Store adds all the features it’s missing, the best it can hope for is to become equally as capable as Steam, which has a decade worth of feature iteration behind it already. What the Epic Store really needs is a useful feature that Steam doesn’t have, and that’s is going to be challenging considering the extent of Steam’s functionality.

The thing is that currently Steam is a bit like your old local pub. The bins outside might be overflowing, you get caught up in the odd fight, and the whole thing needs a damn good clean, but you’ve been going there for years and know your way around. Even if you’re pretty sure the skinheads in the corner are the bad kind of skinheads, and you’ve been asking the landlord to please do something about them for a while, it’s still a place where you and your friends can get together and chat about the games you like. The Epic Store, by comparison, is like a hyper-modern minimalist café. It’s very clean and aesthetically stylish, but it’s uncomfortable and not really a place you want to stick around unless you absolutely have to.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
No mention of the absence of a shopping cart, no mention of people being blocked for trying to purchase a few games in a row, no mention of downloading issues some people experienced (having to start the whole DL process from zero), absolute lie about "it is easier to find a game on EGS" because putting everything on ONE page is the dumbest thing ever and doesn't make anything easier to find, while on Steam you have tools to avoid shovelwares and hentai shit.

This article misses a lot of the points users talked about, looks like he only visited the site once, bought a game and that's it : "publish it but don't be too harsh on Tim will ya, he will improve so don't scare people out".

One good thing : he took time to read the EULA and that's interesting to read.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah... and lol @ saying that yes it's pretty and you can easily find some games worth your attention. Like that's hard to do elsewhere. And completely ignoring the fact the store is actually a single dumping ground of a page. How do you find anything there if you don't already know what you want? Check every game? Oh but the games at the top have some merit to them so it's all good, just buy anything, Tim has a quality game guarantee, no duds on EGS! Come the fuck on. And how is it brilliant for developers? Yeah he says "may" but the tone is like that's for granted, a fact. Yes, Epic's money hats were brilliant for some. As a store?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Look i will say what i said when egs started way back earlier kn the year:
If it were a direct copycat of the steam client in would be fine, as in screenshotting and all that community jazz
It wasnt. Even if you told me they are being consumer friendly and giving the client a mega overhaul come december or january
I still would t use it. You had your chance the first time, and i am not always going to be generous for a 2nd time eps. To a multimillion corporation that couldve done that to begin with but didnt.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Look i will say what i said when egs started way back earlier kn the year:
If it were a direct copycat of the steam client in would be fine, as in screenshotting and all that community jazz
It wasnt. Even if you told me they are being consumer friendly and giving the client a mega overhaul come december or january
I still would t use it. You had your chance the first time, and i am not always going to be generous for a 2nd time eps. To a multimillion corporation that couldve done that to begin with but didnt.
even if they were better than steam - i still wouldn't use them ... why? because of the fucking exclusives ... they can fuck off for all i care

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
even if they were better than steam - i still wouldn't use them ... why? because of the fucking exclusives ... they can fuck off for all i care
Yep. Same. Also because of the way they entered the PC space. They basically showed a massive lack of respect for the current PC market, thought that chucking a few free games out would have us toxic cowboys flocking to the store because nobody can resist free stuff in this day and age and at the same time managed to convince most of the gaming media to become their cooperate mouthpieces telling us its all for our good, we just dont see it yet, and anyway its just another launcher.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Yep. Same. Also because of the way they entered the PC space. They basically showed a massive lack of respect for the current PC market, thought that chucking a few free games out would have us toxic cowboys flocking to the store because nobody can resist free stuff in this day and age and at the same time managed to convince most of the gaming media to become their cooperate mouthpieces telling us its all for our good, we just dont see it yet, and anyway its just another launcher.
It works to some degree though. You can see it on "how is egs this days" on that other forum.

Reactions: Ge0force and sk2k

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Free games didn't help Origin. It sure as heck ain't helping EGS, and I sincerely hope it at least would help the free game's devs and pubs if not harm them in the near future in terms of buyer decisions.
Pulling in customers with free stuff is fine but you need to give them a reason to stick with the platform instead of taking the free stuff and leaving. Neither EGS nor Origin can do that since they have nothing to offer.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I feel like Epic may be giving away too many free games honestly. They're training their customers to wait for a game to be free instead of paying for games (or just to play the games they get for free instead of buying new ones).

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Yup. I never even made an account with them and I'm not going to claim their "free" games either as that is a statistic they can use to help legitimize themselves.

It's funny though. The media likes to talk about how EGS is chipping away at steam yet by the time this year is over they'll have gained Bethesda, MS and EA back and got Bungie of all people to come over (who supposedly hated Valve for many years). Even EGS' ally in Take Two is showing signs of folding with BL3 only being 6 months and now RDR being 1 month.

...that being said I'd rather have ubi and take two than the others, at least right now. MS may solve their game problem eventually but they're still awful right now. Bethesda is becoming a clown tier publisher real fast and EA is....EA. The last good game they made was like a decade ago.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I find EA goes in phases of good stuff followed by cavalcades of shite.

Right now they may be on the cusp of doing a couple of good things this year. Apex Legends is ace, and Jedi: Fallen Order looks the part, at least. And Titanfall 2 is the best single player FPS of the generation, That said, I'd consider Respawn's stuff as anomalies to EA's output as a whole.

MS is improving, for sure. Gears 5 is decent, but that's the highlight of an otherwise mediocre first party for an entire console generation.

I'd rather have EA and MS than Ubisoft, who haven't made a decent single player game in years.

Reactions: lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I wonder if Epic will expand their free game program further.

1 game each two weeks -> 1 game each week > semi-regularly 2 games each week, could easily add extra year too.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018

1 game each two weeks -> 1 game each week > semi-regularly 2 games each week, could easily add extra year too.
Depends how desperate they're getting, I guess. If the exclusives aren't working and publishers are more reluctant to sign any worth having, they may need to resort to bringing consumers into their store with more free games and gasp client features.

Or they will launch their Android store, be infinitely more successful (because Android gaming is a shithole that probably needs someone to make a gamer-focussed app store) and, just as they abandoned all their other games in the wake of Fortnite's success, give up on the failure PC store for greener pastures on Android.

Reactions: lashman and Knurek

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

they ABSOLUTELY will

in fact - i'll be incredibly surprised if they don't extend it to 2020

give up on the failure PC store for greener pastures on Android.
we can only hope

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Epic fucked up, they ran with giving out free games for far too long, they
taught people to get free games from EGS, now people will expect the free games, when they stop, people will be pissed.

And I´m ready to see this unfold.
yeah, they really fucked it up ... if they stuck to one game every 2 weeks - they proooobably could've gotten away with no more free games next year ...

but they went from one game every 2 weeks, to one game per week ... to now 2 games per week .... and there's no fucking way they can just go from this to "no free games" next year

tuna_love

Apr 17, 2019
yeah, they really fucked it up ... if they stuck to one game every 2 weeks - they proooobably could've gotten away with no more free games next year ...

but they went from one game every 2 weeks, to one game per week ... to now 2 games per week .... and there's no fucking way they can just go from this to "no free games" next year
3 free games a week!

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
Are you serious? 🤔
I've seen people having fun on these games. Don't know how, I've been bored since the first minute of gameplay watching them play. Cutscenes can be fun though, but these are not games for me. Same thing happened for Control or Shadow of Mordor / War.

Guess I'm not the target. They all look "all for the eye, none for the brain" games for me.

Reactions: Ge0force and Wok

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Not gonna lie, I loved my time with AC: Origins. Haven't played Odyssey yet but Origins is a solid game, just had to stop playing its DLCs because I had to reinstall Windows and now I'm still trying to get some time to reinstall and restart it.

I'm not the biggest Ubi fan, but when they want to do a solid game they can do it.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Not gonna lie, I loved my time with AC: Origins. Haven't played Odyssey yet but Origins is a solid game, just had to stop playing its DLCs because I had to reinstall Windows and haven't find time to reinstall and restart it.

I'm not the biggest Ubi fan, but when they want to do a solid game they can do it.
I had fun with Origin during the first few hours and while exploring the tombs in the pyramids. But like most of Ubisofts games, the rest of the game quickly became a checklist of boring and extremely repetitive quests.

I've tried to force myself to keep playing for the storyline, but I gave up during the Crocodile main quest because it felt like a waste of time to me.

I guess Ubisofts open world games aren't for me anymore.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I had fun with Origin during the first few hours and while exploring the tombs in the pyramids. But like most of Ubisofts games, the rest of the game quickly became a checklist of boring and extremely repetitive quests.

I've tried to force myself to keep playing for the storyline, but I gave up during the Crocodile main quest because it felt like a waste of time to me.

I guess Ubisofts open world games aren't for me anymore.
I came to this conclusion a long time ago, which is why I know their recent output isn't good for me. Thus my view that Ubisoft just haven't made anything worthwhile in a long time. I actually think Far Cry 3 is the last great game of theirs, though I did enjoy Assassin's Creed: Black Flag having not played a game in the AC series since 2.

Meanwhile, at least MS is showing a committment to big budget single player campaigns, such as Gears 5, even if they still have a long way to be great again. And while most of EA's output is garbage they have Respawn who continually make quality games. I guess Take2 seem to be a big loss to Steam, as The Outer Worlds is a brilliant game, Borderlands 3 has sold gangbusters and Red Dead 2 is going to be huge. At least that one is only delayed by a month on Steam, which seems kinda pointless, but Timmy probably had a few spare pennies behind the sofa for this year's EGS budget and wanted to give one last "Fuck you!" to PC gamers before concentrating on their Android store, which I hope is very lucrative for them to the point that they give up trying on PC.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Origin and Odyssey are fantastic games imo, especially Odyssey. So those AC games are games I really like.

Reactions: Dandy

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
It's easy to flag a game as "good" or "bad", because I like the genre or for any random reason. I do this a lot (I don't like AAA games, anything with a console UI, or Final Fantasy saga for example... although I know some of them are not "bad" games), but don't forget some "good" games are not for everyone.

There's enough games / genres for everyone to have fun with ;) No one is wrong to like this particular game and it's always interesting to hear why people love games I don't like. It may not change my mind, but at least we're sharing experiences about games ;)

No one judges lashman for loving anime games :cat-heart-blob:

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I have played both ACOR and ACOD and i have their DLCs too, which rest in my HD because the AC gameplay repetitiveness bores me to sleep.

ACOD became a very tiring experience from one point on, it felt like a single player MMO and it is subtly designed to prompt you to buy time savers.

I tried the Division 2 demo and while i was intrigued to the content i found out that the progress was quite slow to get the not impressive abilities and i had to deal with what i thought it was a bullet spongey mess , although people that have now probably quit the game but were very, very excited then, told me there was no such issue.

The only game i am missing from UBI is the Anno 1800 but screw UBI for making partnerships with the asshole, they do not deserve my money and i am very happy that their GaaS scheme fails.
They might learn to make not only better games but better deals too.

Screw them until then.