News Epic Games Store

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
I have a limited reserve of morals and boycotting the shit stain that is amazon takes up most of them.
Not really the point of the thread, but with all the things hosted on aws boycotting amazon is tough. I kept it at "just facebook" for myself, which is hard enough with whatsapp being as ubiquitous as it is.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
I have no idea what you're saying here. Did you say"its perfect to make a thread about a store/service only to complain about it and then dogpile people who use it?"
Because that's what it sounds like.
You sure read a lot into a blob. Anyways you just got one message about you and the rest were users speaking about why they dislike a game or why they don't use the store that this thread is about. Hardly dogpiling.

But hey, you do you, it's always entertaining reading you.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I have a limited reserve of morals and boycotting the shit stain that is amazon takes up most of them. Get off the high horse.

And now it's a stupid meme game. Whatever, was a fucking mistake to share with you people in this thread.
Dude, calm down. You really need to do something about your hostile behavior here.

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
Re: meme game. I already shared my thoughts on it about a week ago.
The thing with games like this is that once you've seen the memes, you pretty much saw all the game has to offer.

I enjoyed the stuff I saw on Twitter but I don't have the urge to actually play it myself. The same goes for other meme games like Goat Simulator, though. So maybe it's more of a personal thing since I don't enjoy sandbox (?) type games where you have to create your own fun.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I have no idea what you're saying here. Did you say"its perfect to make a thread about a store/service only to complain about it and then dogpile people who use it?"
Because that's what it sounds like.
So long as you're enjoying the game, forget the rest. I myself won't partake in the epic store sale because of how I feel about the company's handling of things and their public face on the issue, but I'm not going to hate on people looking for price deals. I'm cheap as fuck, so go where your money is best spent :D
edit: Though, maybe next time try to a bit harder to resist? That X dollars could have been spent on any number of other stores unless you absolutely needed UTGG for some reason.

Last edited:

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Please, the fucking aws thing as usual. I know that, everyone knows that, I'm not throwing up my hand and giving more money to amazon just because I can't have my perfect boycott.
I was just giving you props for trying anyway since many just don't because of all of the issues with it.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I tell you point blank that you sell out for $10, would you be pleased?
I was responding to your post where you litterally said that you couldn't resist because of the $10 discount, and didn't use the words "sell out" at all. Calm down m8, I'm not the enemy here.

My point was that I can't possibly understand people supporting things they don't like. For me, this is litterally "hey I don't like what you're doing, but here's my money so you can keep doing it".

It wasn't my intention to judge you. I really don't. But to be honest, I wouldn't blame anyone for being disappointed in me if I bought games on EGS after speaking out against Epic's behavior for over a year.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
My point was that I can't possibly understand people supporting things they don't like. For me, this is litterally "hey I don't like what you're doing, but here's my money so you can keep doing it".
To be fair unless there’s some secret revenue share difference as part of the Goose Game exclusivity deal. Epic probably lost money from that purchase.

Reactions: Wok and lashman

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
To be fair unless there’s some secret revenue share difference as part of the Goose Game exclusivity deal. Epic probably lost money from that purchase.
EGS’s game right now isn’t making money... otherwise the $10 reusable coupon would be ludicrous. It’s getting numbers into their ecosystem.

That’s neither here nor there on the Epic Bad/Good scale, but simply to say that, even at a loss, Epic is still being supported and it is still a W for them.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
That's very likely. But the goal of these coupons is preventing EGS exclusives to flop, and to convince people into supporting their money hatting behavior. Every sale on EGS - even with a loss for Epic - is helping them to achieve this, thereby increasing the chance that Epic's current behavior becomes the norm on pc.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
You sure read a lot into a blob. Anyways you just got one message about you and the rest were users speaking about why they dislike a game or why they don't use the store that this thread is about. Hardly dogpiling.

But hey, you do you, it's always entertaining reading you.
It would've been nice for you to mean that last statement sincerely but, you know, internet is a nasty place so it wasn't. Whatever, think what you want about me, statements like your last one got me to leave era, just more people laughing behind my back.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
That’s neither here nor there on the Epic Bad/Good scale, but simply to say that, even at a loss, Epic is still being supported and it is still a W for them.
and it's a "loss" just for Epic, although from their PoV it's an investment

Reactions: Ge0force
PlayTracker

LittleDinamit

MetaMember
Dec 23, 2019
Hello I am the developer of PlayTracker and I just got here and I see some confusion regarding our numbers on Insight so I'd like to clarify.

We get all our numbers through user sampling. The platforms we gather info from are Steam, Playstation, Origin, and XBOX. XBOX also has an endpoint for all Windows games and we use that to estimate total PC sales, when calibrated with our more accurate Steam database. For EGS exclusives that means EGS numbers. For Red Dead in particular we could only report total PC sales and Steam sales, as seen in our graphic, and quoted the videogamebiz tweet for the EGS numbers they got from SuperData. We gave no idea how SuperData gets their numbers, but figured videogamebiz was legit enough to quote.

I go into detail on our methods and the Windows data we recently made available via Insight here: https://playtracker.net/insight/about/

I must emphasize that you need to be thorough when looking through our Windows platform figures as there are sometimes multiple entries for a single game.

For platforms that aren't Steam we offer the popularity score for free so you can get an idea of how a game did. Precise estimates, like those we offer publicly for Steam games, are available to supporters via Patreon. I know that kind of sucks if you're just an enthusiast and like data, but we still offer far more than others for free, and just 20% of what SteamSpy makes on Patreon every month would be enough for me to quit my job and work only on the site and that's something I'd really like.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
At the other end of the spectrum, I can't even be bothered to open the EGS site every once in a while to grab the freebies I'd legitimately like to play.
It must have been months since I've done that last time. I'd check, but that would mean opening the EGS site 😅
Yeah, I haven't claimed any of the freebies either. I really should delete my account as i never use it and have no interest in using EGS or their launcher and haven't logged in since the day i created it. I do love how EGS railed against sales and freebies devaluing games and yet it seems freebies are all i hear people talking about when it comes to positive EGS comments.

EGS are Hypocrites, lol.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Hello I am the developer of PlayTracker and I just got here and I see some confusion regarding our numbers on Insight so I'd like to clarify.

We get all our numbers through user sampling. The platforms we gather info from are Steam, Playstation, Origin, and XBOX. XBOX also has an endpoint for all Windows games and we use that to estimate total PC sales, when calibrated with our more accurate Steam database. For EGS exclusives that means EGS numbers. For Red Dead in particular we could only report total PC sales and Steam sales, as seen in our graphic, and quoted the videogamebiz tweet for the EGS numbers they got from SuperData. We gave no idea how SuperData gets their numbers, but figured videogamebiz was legit enough to quote.

I go into detail on our methods and the Windows data we recently made available via Insight here: https://playtracker.net/insight/about/

I must emphasize that you need to be thorough when looking through our Windows platform figures as there are sometimes multiple entries for a single game.

For platforms that aren't Steam we offer the popularity score for free so you can get an idea of how a game did. Precise estimates, like those we offer publicly for Steam games, are available to supporters via Patreon. I know that kind of sucks if you're just an enthusiast and like data, but we still offer far more than others for free, and just 20% of what SteamSpy makes on Patreon every month would be enough for me to quit my job and work only on the site and that's something I'd really like.
there you go Swenhir and Alextended ... satisfied? :)

and just 20% of what SteamSpy makes on Patreon every month would be enough for me to quit my job and work only on the site and that's something I'd really like.
... and i REALLY hope that happens ... you seriously deserve it, man! :)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So, it's estimates much like steamspy's but with your own methodology/more platforms. Dunno how much accuracy that guarantees but it's nice to have. Wouldn't personally use it as an argument in discussions about what platform sold more than another though, just to get a vague idea, until proven otherwise.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I was responding to your post where you litterally said that you couldn't resist because of the $10 discount, and didn't use the words "sell out" at all. Calm down m8, I'm not the enemy here.

It wasn't my intention to judge you. I really don't. But to be honest, I wouldn't blame anyone for being disappointed in me if I bought games on EGS after speaking out against Epic's behavior for over a year.
Whatever dude. I didn't spend a ton of time and bashing on Epic here and minimal time doing so on Era. I didn't leave Era because of the pc gaming community meltdown that happened over there, I left Era because of how judgemental that place was months later. I had no idea that I was known as some vanguard of the anti epic games store movement by being a part of metacouncil.

You want to understand? My GF is leaving on a long trip and I won't see them after wed for a month, thought a charming game for us to play together during this crazy time was worth more than not doing it and valve ticked me off with their silly games over the coins and screwing people out of earning those coins with steam wallet cash.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Why don't people just pirate the free games? Pretty sure that's less harmful to PC gaming than the shit Epic is doing.
Actually getting the 'free'* games is more hurtful to Epic, provided you don't break and don't give them any money ever - since they have to pay for bandwidth costs.
You need to give Epic your email address

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
In case of Goose Game, the game was a big letdown. I finished it on Xbox Game Pass and I expected I could freely wreck havok and fuck shit up, but it's basically a puzzle game with a list of requirement of things you have to do, you cant even pick up everything.

It's a cute game and that's it for me.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
In case of Goose Game, the game was a big letdown. I finished it on Xbox Game Pass and I expected I could freely wreck havok and fuck shit up, but it's basically a puzzle game with a list of requirement of things you have to do, you cant even pick up everything.

It's a cute game that's it for me.
Definitely overhyped. Just like Sayonara Wild Hearts.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019

It's a cute game and that's it for me.
My GF was charmed during the opening, and that's enough for me, so far.

Real loser of all of this was me not upgrading my Windows 8.1 to Wndows 10 when I had the chance, hence I can't use gamepass :/ Classic Jkm23 move tbh.

Reactions: lashman

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
The goose game is fun for... watching the memes over the internet and playing 10 minutes.

Reactions: Recrees

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
there you go Swenhir and Alextended ... satisfied? :)

... and i REALLY hope that happens ... you seriously deserve it, man! :)
You act as if this is a gotcha and we are evil doubters. All I care about is the data being reliable and I'm still skeptical. The problem I see is the same as with steamspy : inaccuracy, and this is no dig on his work. It's simply that as far as I understand, the source for EGS data works as follows :

The Windows platforms uses data provided via the XBOX API for all played games a Windows 10 user with a public profile has played. This includes all launchers like Steam, Origin, EGS, uPlay, and more - but some games are missing and others have multiple entries, so we encourage you to browse this data with care as there may be inaccuracies. For full access to our estimates for this platform, become a supporter on Patreon.
First - and this is not on LittleDinamit of course - this seems a little invasive to me. If I was running 10, would vehemently argue that nobody has any business knowing what is installed on my machine. Maybe I'm just tired but am I the only one shocked that this information is available in this way at all? I understand this works through voluntary installation of the PlayTracker software in which case, well I guess the users know what they are signing up for, but then how large is the userbase?

I don't know, it still seems iffy to me, but you are all free to think what you will!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

We consider just about everything, but we made the decision to go with Steam for all the obvious reasons. Steam has a large and faithful install base. We have great access to some of the people at Valve, because we’re right there in the same industry community in Bellevue, WA. And we just figured it would be a good way to welcome a lot of new players into our community
If your product is in trouble, you need a big a reliable partner and not something that further troubles the waters.