News Epic Games Store

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
you'd have to ask the dev ... but apparently they are pretty accurate
Did a game dev/pub confirm their accuracy in stats not previously disclosed or how is it confirmed they're pretty accurate? Especially when they apparently need another source like SuperData to bring them potential EGS numbers, how do they have the total numbers without knowing the EGS numbers before?

Rockstar Launcher was indeed the best deal but I find it hard to believe there's such a vast gap as next to nobody knew to use it as a store before RDR2.

Do 3rd party key sellers have such vast reach when they sell a key outside Steam it surpasses Steam's numbers so much? And if that's the case why does anybody at all report on that infamous 30% cut if so many sales come from places with 0% cut for Steam and whatever cut the dev negotiated with the sellers?

I mean I always used that to say that 30% is always a given % less than 30% due to varying degrees of 3rd party seller ratios but never expected that difference.

Unless GTA Online (do they sell crap for it on their launcher) has cultivated an audience like Fortnite that will lap up anything from the company or something.

Edit: where does PlayTracker disclose data? I can't find total sales on the RDR2 page and they only list "on Steam"? Is there another page for other versions?
Edit: there are two more pages with no data or anything? I guess I don't get it (and won't pay to get it).

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Sounds like Epic are happy to burn everything to the ground so long as they own the rubble. For a game like RDR2, 400k on EGS and 300k on Steam a month later are terrible figures for both storefronts. Epic doesn't seem to be doing itself any favours, just damaging Steam, which seems rather pathetic really.

But I guess R* are happy. They get the moneyhat and no one bought it on EGS anyway.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Sounds like Epic are happy to burn everything to the ground so long as they own the rubble. For a game like RDR2, 400k on EGS and 300k on Steam a month later are terrible figures for both storefronts. Epic doesn't seem to be doing itself any favours, just damaging Steam, which seems rather pathetic really.

But I guess R* are happy. They get the moneyhat and no one bought it on EGS anyway.
The funny part is RDR2 still has 15 days before it reaches a month on Steam, and its on sale for 20% off until then.

Id be surprised if Steam didnt outsell EGS by a large margin by the end of the month.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I hate that there are no official numbers on EGS exclusives. I hear WWZ, Satisfactory (550k), Blands 3 and RDR2 did good, but who knows if advanced copies are included.

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
Funnily enough, Steam is still making more than EGS, 30% of 300k is a bit better than 18% of 400k.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Maybe RDR2 sold quite a bit on EGS but I have hard time believing that Steam won't catch up or already has catched up.
RDR2 sold 100k in 30 days more than Steam

300/15 = 20k per day
400/45 = 8.88k per day

Steam is in significant lead, accounting for it being month late.
But would likely be in million+ had it released day and date. So EGS definitely won in making Steam version sell less.

True winner is of course RGL.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I wouldn't call 400k "no one". If the numbers above are correct, RDR2 sold better on EGS than Steam, which is not good news for anyone opposed to money hatting becoming the norm on pc.
I don't think that these numbers (assuming that they are more or less accurate) pose any sort of threat to the movement against moneyhatting. If a game like RDR2 sells like that, sales of smaller games will most certainly be bad.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
you'd have to ask the dev ... but apparently they are pretty accurate
Don't take it the wrong way but I remain very skeptical. This is a company I'd never heard about giving data that seems, in the best case, extrapolated from their own user base. Not that I don't enjoy having data, but until it is proven solid, I'd argue that bad data is worse than no data.

Reactions: MJunioR and Wok

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The gi.biz article says that Borderlands 3 sold over 1.7 million on EGS. I guess that's the best selling game so far?

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I don't think that these numbers (assuming that they are more or less accurate) pose any sort of threat to the movement against moneyhatting. If a game like RDR2 sells like that, sales of smaller games will most certainly be bad.
Yeah, Epic paid to have 400k copies of a game that will likely sell in the tens of millions, good job?

Also don't forget RDR2 had several sales on the EGS in that month of exclusivity.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
What did 1 and 2 sell on pc? 1.7 for Borderlands, while not my thing seems slim given all the hype
In the first month? Nobody knows. But as of right now I believe the Steam version is sitting at 10m+. SteamSpy lists 10-20m while Playtracker lists 8.4m

Reactions: ISee

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
If I remember correctly based on Pitchford's "2x times Steam numbers at launch" we estimated BL3 concurrent users at that time between 200-240k.. So the game was probably already at an minimum of 1.5 millions copies sold then.

While it will probably sell more now with the newest loss leading sale from EGS, it does appear that the games there don't have the best legs... so at least that's something, even if some of us would probably prefer the overall sales to be a lot lower :p

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Superdata is an estimation-firm. There were no reports (that I know of) that outright stated the numbers of copies sold on EGS, or are there any API's or statistics on EGS that they could estimate the numbers from.

The only thing they could have gotten the numbers from, would be from a financial statement from Rockstar or the Publisher that listed revenue. And that would mean Sales guarantee money and not copies sold.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I could have sworn Superdata was started by the same people who started VGChartz, but I can't find those details.

Reactions: lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Alleged leak of freebies posted on December 20 on ResetEra:
  • Shadow Tactics : Blades of the Shogun (possible because it appeared in a Humble Monthly and on PC Game Pass)
  • Kingdom Come Deliverance (ditto: Monthly and Game Pass)
  • Little Inferno (Dec 22)
  • Yooka-Laylee and the impossible Lair
  • Ape Out (Dec 23)
  • The Talos Principle (ditto: Monthly and Game Pass)
  • TABS : Totally Accurate Battle Simulator (ditto: Game Pass)

Another poster added two games to the list, no idea why:
  • A Knight's Quest
  • Cardpocalypse

Including Ape Out tomorrow, we will have 5 freebies, so we are only missing 7 freebies.
Out of the 7 missing ones, I think 4 leaks are very likely: Shogun, Kingdom, Talos and TABS.
That means there are 3 secret freebies, and I find it unlikely to have the new Yooka game (maybe the old one will be given for free), Cardpocalypse (a brand new game exclusive to EGS), and a knight's quest (also a new game exclusive to EGS).

Last edited:
Reactions: Trisolarian

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
So Epic is now the place of free games and little else,,, ok. The free games were pretty underwhelming until now, not that I'm going to install the client to grab whatever they offer.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Impossible Lair given for free a couple months after release? I dunno about that one chief.
This one is weird, but it could very well appear in Humble Choice in January. After all, Spyro was included in the Monthly bundle a month after its release.

Reactions: Tizoc

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
That list is of games rated by Epic in Korea.

Epic has local presence unlike Steam, so they can't pretend they don't sell games there.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So they are gonna give out 2 games that are currently buyable (Cardpocalypse and A Knight's Quest) for free? Won't that just piss off people?

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
So they are gonna give out 2 games that are currently buyable (Cardpocalypse and A Knight's Quest) for free? Won't that just piss off people?
You are likely right. These two games were removed from the leaks. Sheepinator listed them because he missed the edit.

Similarly, Yooka 2.5D must be a wrong leak. I expect Yooka 3D to be given away, since it is a game which appeared in a Humble Monthly bundle.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
This is mostly an issue with the developer I guess, but I just spent a wonderful evening troubleshooting connectivity issues in Borderlands 3 for EGS. Despite advertising cross-play support between MacOs and Windows, and making recent statements about the latest patch having arrived on all platforms on December 19th, Gearbox somehow found it appropriate to not update the MacOs version, thereby disabling cross-play between Windows and MacOs.

If the game was on Steam it may have been possible to downgrade game versions through some command line options, but this is of course wholly unsupported on EGS. I only bought the game to play cross-play with my brothers during the holiday season, but I guess I was a fool to expect the game to work as advertised.

Reactions: Dandy and ISee

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
This one is weird, but it could very well appear in Humble Choice in January. After all, Spyro was included in the Monthly bundle a month after its release.
Yooka 1 was not in humble monthly until months later iirc.
Curious if they got paid a lot by egs for the free copies.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Yooka 1 was not in humble monthly until months later iirc.
Curious if they got paid a lot by egs for the free copies.
In my second post, I meant that I do not expect Yooka 2 to be given for free. I do not trust the leak for this one.

I think Yooka 2 will be released on EGS, and Yooka 1 will be the freebie.

Last edited:

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Sad to see fellow MC members cave in as well. Incredible how merely $10 is enough for people to put their principles aside. 😞
At the other end of the spectrum, I can't even be bothered to open the EGS site every once in a while to grab the freebies I'd legitimately like to play.
It must have been months since I've done that last time. I'd check, but that would mean opening the EGS site 😅

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
At the other end of the spectrum, I can't even be bothered to open the EGS site every once in a while to grab the freebies I'd legitimately like to play.
It must have been months since I've done that last time. I'd check, but that would mean opening the EGS site 😅
I have deleted my Epic account after the Metro Exodus moneyhat, but that's my own decision.
Everyone has to decide if they want to support Epic's money hatting or not. It's just that being opposed to Epic's behavior but supporting their store anyway makes no sense to me at all.

Flips

Overwhelmingly Positive
May 12, 2019
Haven't really bothered with them either

Why? Apart from my dislike for EGS itself, I know I won't ever play those games just like I don't play any of the Twitch Prime games. So why bother with claiming them.

As for buying games on EGS, do what you want, I guess. Just don't understand why you would buy a stupid meme game like Goose Game anyway.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I can understand people breaking on good games, but yeah, Goose Game is a major disappointment (played on Switch). Not even worth it with a $10 discount.

I still haven't bought anything on EGS, but I am claiming the free games. Not that I've played any of them, but free is free and you can add them to Steam as non-Steam games easily. I don't think they have broke me in any meaningful way and I've never been tempted to use their store for any paid content, including Shenmue III which I Kickstarted and got a refund on.

Not even £10 off Control, bringing it down to about £22, is enough to convince me EGS is worth investing any cash into.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
I have a limited reserve of morals and boycotting the shit stain that is amazon takes up most of them. Get off the high horse.

And now it's a stupid meme game. Whatever, was a fucking mistake to share with you people in this thread.
''Get off the high horse.''

''Whatever, was a fucking mistake to share with you people in this thread.''

:blobeyes:

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
I have a limited reserve of morals and boycotting the shit stain that is amazon takes up most of them. Get off the high horse.

And now it's a stupid meme game. Whatever, was a fucking mistake to share with you people in this thread.
What did you expect? A bunch of posts cheering you on for something you yourself portrayed as shameful? “I couldn’t resist guys” implies that you should have.