News Epic Games Store

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
WWZ seems neat, as does Snowrunner. (tho Mudrunner is still good). I despise exclusivity so much.
It's hard to not just go ahead and create an account. But principle is principle...
Snowrunner EGS really bummed me out. Just about as much as Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. By far they're the two biggest cuts for me thus far.

I went back and looked at my Steam purchase history and it looks like I pre-ordered both Spintires and MudRunner.

What's funny about all these titles is that I have a history with them as being an early adopter on Steam before anyone was talking about them on a larger scale.

It's just a shame to see them locked behind the EGS gate when I was an early evangelist.

It's interesting in comparison to something like Outer Wilds. I'm 100% on board for Steam launch and don't have much sour grapes or ill will against it at all. Prob. cause I have no history with it. It'll simply be a nice get once the exclusivity window ends.

But Outlaw and Snowrunner?

Yeah, that s**t burns.

I'll still wait for it on Steam. (EGS can get f'ed.) But it's a bitter pill nonetheless.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I've deleted my account a long time ago, but now and then I'll take a look at the best selling games list on their site. It's remarkable how this list has been the same for weeks. So unless Epic stopped updating it, the latest exclusives must have sold really bad.
I wouldn't be shocked if they had to manually update it and the one intern they have work on EGS doesn't always have time to update it those 2 hours each week he gets to work on the EGS instead of Fortnight.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Fuck Epic and all their exclusivity bullshit but i've gotten alot of good free games from them without even having their client installed lol.
This is something that I don't quite understand... So, how would you go about installing them without the client?
And if that's not possible, what was the point of collecting the free games?

Reactions: Ge0force

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
This is something that I don't quite understand... So, how would you go about installing them without the client?
And if that's not possible, what was the point of collecting the free games?
You can add them to your account by 'buying' them at epicgames.com. No need to install the client. I'm not sure what you are asking. But if i ever wanted to play those games i can easily install the client.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Ah.
It sounded like you refuse to use the client, but collect the games, which makes me wonder what the point is, since you cannot play the games without the client.

I stand corrected! 😀

Reactions: lashman

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Looks like mystery game is very likely Killing Floor 2 to coincide with release of their next game, Maneater.
Epic generally rates free games week before for release in Korea and last week they rated Killing Floor 2.
Epic has presence in Korea, unlike Valve, so they need rating to sell games unless it's been rated before, (eg. EA needs to rate games for Origin Access, Epic hasn't rated those again)

Could lose some of Steam functions like Anti-cheat and Workshop. Unless they create replacements.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Looks like mystery game is very likely Killing Floor 2 to coincide with release of their next game, Maneater.
Epic generally rates free games week before for release in Korea and last week they rated Killing Floor 2.
Epic has presence in Korea, unlike Valve, so they need rating to sell games unless it's been rated before, (eg. EA needs to rate games for Origin Access, Epic hasn't rated those again)

Could lose some of Steam functions like Anti-cheat and Workshop. Unless they create replacements.
What a lame reveal. A downgraded version of a almost 4 year old game thats been in multiple bundles and drops to like $7 every few weeks. Who wants this game that doesn’t already own it at this point? No steam market, achievements or workshop is hilariously lame.

But are we sure this is the secret game? Epic stated they wouldnt give out an M rated game unless they gave out a E-T rated one alongside it for younger users, and honestly KF2 being a hyped up secret reveal when other bigger giveaways like Just Cause 4 weren’t hidden just seems weird.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
What a lame reveal. A downgraded version of a almost 4 year old game thats been in multiple bundles and drops to like $7 every few weeks. Who wants this game that doesn’t already own it at this point? No steam market, achievements or workshop is hilariously lame.

But are we sure this is the secret game? Epic stated they wouldnt give out an M rated game unless they gave out a E-T rated one alongside it for younger users, and honestly KF2 being a hyped up secret reveal when other bigger giveaways like Just Cause 4 weren’t hidden just seems weird.
well ... they might be giving away Maneater ...

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Probably a way to give the devs a cash and meager traffic boost after projected sales for Man Eater didn't quite meet expectations. Remember, Man Eater was among the first games announced for Epic 18 months ago.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Why buy games on EGS when there's always a chance the game you want will be given away for free?

I feel the notion that "Epic won't give any game away for free" was dropped when World War Z was given away for free. Now every game has a chance to be given away at some point, it's open season for everything.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Why buy games on EGS when there's always a chance the game you want will be given away for free?

I feel the notion that "Epic won't give any game away for free" was dropped when World War Z was given away for free. Now every game has a chance to be given away at some point, it's open season for everything.
pretty much, yeah

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Why buy games on EGS
You can stop there 😁
Training your users to never spend money unless they have a massive coupon sounds like a fantastic way to run a store.
I'm afraid this goes further than Epic's store alone. Lots of the pc gamers I personally know have stopped buying indie games. They just wait until they are free on EGS or Game Pass.

Considering the fact that only a very small minority of games win the EGS or Game Pass lottery, this is bad for the majority of indie devs.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Epic is more into forcing you to use their store, either by getting all the exclusives or guilt tripping you with free games and FOMO on coupons.
Almost nobody is using EGS because they really want to. (And those seem to be from regions where EGS prices are fraction of steam prices, which is good for them).

Deleted member 113

I'm afraid this goes further than Epic's store alone. Lots of the pc gamers I personally know have stopped buying indie games. They just wait until they are free on EGS or Game Pass.

Considering the fact that only a very small minority of games win the EGS or Game Pass lottery, this is bad for the majority of indie devs.
I hate to defend Epic on this, but while indeed giving away games devalue them, and does make more people wait for a possible EGS freebie, the problem didn't start with Epic.

It's a mentality that has taken over most PC gamers. Almost no one buys indie games at launch. They wait for a bundle inclusion, or a heavy discount.
People have come to expect these games to be bundled, or discounted, and you have people waiting, in some cases, years and years until a title is bundled, in order to play them. They feel no "need" to pay, and value, the work of most indie developers.

But then, on the opposite side, people keep paying ridiculous prices for any Nintendo titles, even if it's the 10th re-release on an old game.
Why? Among other things, because they created an image that Nintendo titles aren't discounted, so people pay for them, and place more value on them, despite in some cases being old titles, or even re-releases or new ports.

So yeah, Epic may be doing wrong, and acerbating an existing problem, but they surely didn't start it.

Personally, I feel much more pleased about buying an indie title, than supporting a company like Nintendo, who is a multi-billion company, but that's just me. ;)

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

But a select few got their bag of gold to the deafening applause of the press, therefore all is well in paradise.

FunktionJCB is right, sales were a cultural thing in the PC space - and for good reason - way before that. Freebies though, that one is new. I don't know that it's a bad thing or not depending of the extent to which it is done.

However it certainly helps Epic build its user base quietly and that is bad news. The fact that they might be doing that at the expense of the PC ecosystem and the wider gaming market is just a cherry on top. Fuck you, got mine has been the word since this mess started.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I hate to defend Epic on this, but while indeed giving away games devalue them, and does make more people wait for a possible EGS freebie, the problem didn't start with Epic.

It's a mentality that has taken over most PC gamers. Almost no one buys indie games at launch. They wait for a bundle inclusion, or a heavy discount.
People have come to expect these games to be bundled, or discounted, and you have people waiting, in some cases, years and years until a title is bundled, in order to play them. They feel no "need" to pay, and value, the work of most indie developers.

But then, on the opposite side, people keep paying ridiculous prices for any Nintendo titles, even if it's the 10th re-release on an old game.
Why? Among other things, because they created an image that Nintendo titles aren't discounted, so people pay for them, and place more value on them, despite in some cases being old titles, or even re-releases or new ports.

So yeah, Epic may be doing wrong, and acerbating an existing problem, but they surely didn't start it.

Personally, I feel much more pleased about buying an indie title, than supporting a company like Nintendo, who is a multi-billion company, but that's just me. ;)
Publishers were reigning it back with increasingly worse discounts and bundles though.

I just find it amusing how a company that touts it wants to help indies with exposure/curation and higher profit margins at the same time hits the gas on devaluing their products, negating whatever advantages they might've had.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Publishers were reigning it back with increasingly worse discounts and bundles though.

I just find it amusing how a company that touts it wants to help indies with exposure/curation and higher profit margins at the same time hits the gas on devaluing their products, negating whatever advantages they might've had.
Also, Epic acts as de facto managers of their brand, product and seems to have the final say in the way other's games are offered to the market if I'm not mistaken.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

You're right, Epic didn't start it. Bundles, Steam Sales and Game Pass already convinced many people to wait.

But giving away hundreds of free games is devaluating (indie) games more than ever. As Swenhir said, Epic isn't doing anything to fix the problems indie devs are having. On the contrary: they are making it worse for the absolute majority of devs.

I also fully agree about Nintendo's ridiculous prices. Most of the games I bought for their consoles are used. I can't possibly understand that so many people are paying €60 for Switch games that are years old. But then again, most of these people are casual gamers who only buy a few games every year. I care about game prices because I want to play as many games as possible. ☺

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

You're not suppose to be paying attention to the Sweeney behind the curtain

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
The thing about videogame devaluation is that we had seen developers quickly learn in the late 2010s about it after a huge explosion of quick discounts, bundles, and giveaways in the early years of the decade. That is the main reason why "Steam sales are much worse now!" is a thing. Devs learned that they can get more money by slowly decreasing the price of the game with discount and being more strategic with how they give it away for cheap.

Epic giving away a fuck ton of games goes opposite to that and I fear they are at a point were they are not giving away free games to gain new users but rather give away free games to maintain their current users. There is a reason why other giveaway projects such as GoGs or EA were much more contained and were dropped in a year. The fact that only 1 giveaway by Epic actually made it into my "mainstream gamer friend group" is quite sad and bad compared to the effect EA had on it when they gave away free games some years ago.

Regarding devaluation on "subscription services", I think it is also a thing that will quickly evolve as more games are added to the subscription service and the increase of mindshare for being in it decreases. I do think we will see more "games for subscription" were the subscription payment basically pays for the entire development and the rest is just "free cash" but they will be mostly artsy 2-3 dev indies (similar to some of the target of EGS) while more devs start to look into launching in there after 6 months - 1 year.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Once a week I open EGS to update the client which opens the home screen where news are reminds me "oh that game still exist huh" and then I close EGS when it's updated.

Oh btw, nice to see the thread being pretty dead.
I signed on here the other week and saw that this thread was on PAGE FOUR!!!

Mission accomplished, as far as I'm concerned.

As per the convo about game devaluation, I took a HARD look at this game

It was 50% off this weekend. But I've only played through Prison Architect and Rimworld once each. I have yet to complete a "run" of Oxygen Not Included. Why would I pay FULL PRICE for a game like this knowing I have 1000 hours of game between the sims I already own (not to mention the ones I can't think of that I own), when I hesitate to pay for it even at HALF price?

Too many games contributes to "game devaluation," too. Look at Doom Eternal 25% off already.
Here's another game I was waiting on.

Indeed, there's little reason to BUY NOW in the current industry.

Last edited:

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
no percentages, so can't use that to guess number of owners like with Valve (before they rounded numbers from backend to just one decimal)

:(

Reactions: ISee and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
It's probably the same as every other Epic exclusive: timed. I actually think the Tony Hawk games only really interested me from 3 onwards, so I'm not really gonna lament this loss. And even if this was 3 onwards I think I'm past caring at this point. Epic exclusives are just met with apathy by me.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It's probably the same as every other Epic exclusive: timed. I actually think the Tony Hawk games only really interested me from 3 onwards, so I'm not really gonna lament this loss. And even if this was 3 onwards I think I'm past caring at this point. Epic exclusives are just met with apathy by me.
yup, same ... i don't even get slightly annoyed anymore (like i used to) ... it's just one big shrug from me

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Any words if it's timed exclusive or full exclusive?
Hello, while I haven't been able to find any official comment (still too soon) but as soon as we get any piece of information, I will share it.

Have an amazing day :cat-heart-blob:

Reactions: Rogue Agent

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
After the shit Activision pulled with Pro Skater 5, waiting a year for patches and DLC doesn't sound like the worst idea anyways. I say that even as a huge Tony Hawk's fan.

Waiting a year for Control also did pay off for me because now I get to play the game all patched up and with better performance thanks to the recent DLSS 2.0 implementation. Assuming it's still coming to Steam since Remedy is now bankrolled by Epic.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
After the shit Activision pulled with Pro Skater 5, waiting a year for patches and DLC doesn't sound like the worst idea anyways. I say that even as a huge Tony Hawk's fan.

Waiting a year for Control also did pay off for me because now I get to play the game all patched up and with better performance thanks to the recent DLSS 2.0 implementation. Assuming it's still coming to Steam since Remedy is now bankrolled by Epic.
Epic funding Reemdy's next project(s) doesnt have any effect over Control because 505 is the publisher and distributor and they decide where its released

(Also the steam page still lists August 2020 and still gets updates regularly according to SteamDB.)

Reactions: Mor and lazerfox