News Epic Games Store

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't have any problems with free games so I grabbed Troy and Alto.

Still, I don't see the point with Troy when I have the mainline TW games which are far better, but I will try it for a few min.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
If you're from Poland, wanted to buy HZD on EGS and suddenly you notice a 400% price increase, you know who to thank for that:

:evilblob:
It's like they see the suggested, correct regional pricing and every time they go to the meticulous lengths of saying "no, fuck that" and increase it to western prices.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Tim Sweeney is the pettiest mother fucker alive.

Epic just announced Fortnite Is permanently dropping the price of Vbucks by 20% except on IOS/Google Play versions. However they added a new payment method to these versions called Epic direct pay that allows mobile users to get the 20% off.

Its really funny watching Tim bitch about Mobile platforms and steam because muh 30% but continue to ignore and support said cut on consoles

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
So this morning, Epic added a way to get discounted VBucks if you bought them directly as a microtransaction through the app as opposed to through Google Play or the App Store.
This was basically an attempt to get through a loophole in the Play Store and App Store where you can take a 100% cut on transactions for physical goods and services, I.e. Uber, doordash, postmates, etc.

As of this post, Fortnite has been removed from the iOS App Store.

edit: oh hello two other posters who had the same idea as me

Reactions: ISee

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Good on Epic. Use their muscle to force Apple to change that stupid policy.
Despite their ability to muscle in the gaming space, apple will cut them a hard bargin to bring them back. As in make them come back crawling to iOS.

In good EGS Enter The Gundegon is free starting the 20th of this month! Great Rogue Like for those of you like myself who obsess over them!

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Uh, Apple just said no.
For now. Give it time for the customer backlash to actually happen.

Despite their ability to muscle in the gaming space, apple will cut them a hard bargin to bring them back. As in make them come back crawling to iOS.
Apple just testified to congress that they don't do special deals, won't make exceptions to their policies. Epic is testing this exact thing and hopefully will push for a policy change. There has been A LOT of rumbling and upset feeling from app developers large and small in the last few months on this exact subject.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
nah, the end result if the policy is changes is beneficial to consumers so I'm okay with looking beyond "both bad" or "well don't violate the policy"

Reactions: Alexandros

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
this has nothing to do with "apple customers" brand loyalty. fortnite is the biggest game in the world. removing it from the store and barring all purchases will piss people off real quick when all they want to do is play their game.

as someone who has been on the other side of the phone when someone couldn't pay in clash of clans or hit the $500 a day spending limit on iap the rage is real.

Reactions: Alexandros

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i am just tired of anything purchased on my phone via app being 30% more expensive and also not allowing independent subscription services just because. obviously a cut is needed since they operate the storefront and payment system but 30% is a bit much.

don't care who is doing the pushback against apple tbh but the bigger the other player is the better chance of getting the policy changed for apple who's already feeling antitrust heat for this kind of nonsense.

• Disapproval
Reactions: sk2k

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Everything about this is so fucking insane

i unironically love this

Madlad timmy vs Big Jobs

Just let them fight

I mean, ultimately, both companies will lobby to make everything worse for the customer to increase their own profits

but at least im gonna have fun watching the prequel wars that lead up to it

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Everything about this is so fucking insane

i unironically love this

Madlad timmy vs Big Jobs

Just let them fight

I mean, ultimately, both companies will lobby to make everything worse for the customer to increase their own profits

but at least im gonna have fun watching the prequel wars that lead up to it
Seriously, Apple vs Epic is the epitome of "let them fight". Everyone, grab your popcorn!

Reactions: Rogue Agent

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
i hope fortnite is the last straw. it is one of the biggest apps out and biggest game out there. that's not peanuts in vbucks skimming.

and yes, apple does have a monopoly over the ios payment system. it's not really something to laugh at, it's actually pretty fucked up. if you want to sell something on their store there is no other option but to use their payment system that charges 10x the amount of any other payment processor.

imagine rooting against something that would actively benefit a consumer cause "lol fortnite"

apple is currently getting heat from congress at this current time for antitrust issues. while this pressure of antitrust is upon them epic forces their hand to show the abuse of this power (and violation of the apple side of the developer agreement btw) in a public way to let other smaller devs get more recognition of the same exact stories happening. hopefully this can push apple who "makes no exceptions" to change the policy that is pretty fucked.