News Epic Games Store

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Tim’s actually kind of right here in many respects. I don’t believe in this “small government” shit (“small government” is codeword for rich people trampling on poor people’s rights and “got mine, fuck you”-ism), but this device scanning bullshit is bullshit. Surveillance disguised as protecting children is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

But Tim is a hypocrite. You can’t get into bed with Tencent and then cry about governmental-monopoly partnerships to oppress people.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Tim's stance on Apple's CSAM program in a nutshell.

Also as an aside, I find it interesting that he acknowledged the weak revenue for EGS in 2020.

I'm pretty interested to see the 2021 figures next year for both revenue and userbase. I'm sort of split as to how their revenue will shake out this year. While EGS has had less exclusives, they had Hitman 3 and Kingdom Hearts which are higher profile than any exclusives in 2020. They are also getting more simultaneous releases on games that have a lot of buzz on Steam such as Humankind, Back 4 Blood and Battlefield 2042. Also when they open the floodgates they will siphon at least some portion of revenue for games that would have released only on Steam. I think overall their third party revenue will increase somewhat.

For the userbase, they will obviously experience some growth, but nothing like 2020 which was an aberration due to COVID. Their free games are nowhere near as high profile this year with the biggest games being Battlefront 2 (which was supposed to release in December according to court documents) and Among Us. I also noticed they didn't give a press release about their userbase after their Mega sale in 2021 compared to last year.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I'm pretty interested to see the 2021 figures next year for both revenue and userbase. I'm sort of split as to how their revenue will shake out this year.
It is no secret that revenue will be "super crappy" for the next few years. Tim is in it for the long haul, i.e. after 2027.

Reactions: Arc and beep boop

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
But Tim is a hypocrite. You can’t get into bed with Tencent and then cry about governmental-monopoly partnerships to oppress people.
I guarantee that people like Tim see no hypocrisy here. They're Chinese, so they don't matter. Also, if they want freedumb, they should just move to the USA. Simple. People like him also have this idiotic belief that freedumb only exists in the USA, nowhere else. Nobody else in the world is free like us Americans.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
It is no secret that revenue will be "super crappy" for the next few years. Tim is in it for the long haul, i.e. after 2027.

Not sure you are reading it correctly there. He is saying the direct ROI from the store WILL ALWAYS be super crappy. The store cut is just too low to make it a money maker by itself. The way to make money is not through the store but rather indirectly with the people coming to the store being brought into Epic own games.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Didn't the judge on Apple v. Epic trial said that she would make a decision before august 13?
So, maybe, we will have some news this week, that would be fun.

• Eyes
Reactions: ISee

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Didn't the judge on Apple v. Epic trial said that she would make a decision before august 13?
So, maybe, we will have some news this week, that would be fun.
She was joking since August 13 is the date Apple pulled Fortnite and this whole rigmarole started. A verdict could be rendered any day now, but I wouldn't specifically expect it this week.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
She was joking since August 13 is the date Apple pulled Fortnite and this whole rigmarole started. A verdict could be rendered any day now, but I wouldn't specifically expect it this week.
Yes, but she said she expected to have a decision before that date, maybe something changed tho'.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
One can be a hypocrite and still be right.
True and I'd even go further. If you did something wrong, but sincerely changed: you are most welcome to call out anybody who is doing the same bad thing as you did previously.

But when you are still involved with the thing you are criticizing: You are the worst kind of Ambassador for a good message. You need to shut up and not bring the spotlight on you.

Motivation also makes a big difference imo. Did Tim attack Apple because he thinks companies accessing user data is bad, but Tencent is just a fact of his life? Or did he saw an opportunity to take a cheap shot at his ex-wife, aehm I mean at the company he is trying to get a divorce from?

I have a strong suspicion.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Yeah, I don't disagree with his comments on what apple are doing. At surface level it sounds like a noble gesture, however dig deeper and you get in to a whole quagmire of civil liberties violations, false positives (the human factor should cover that) and so on.

Then there is the fact that other organisations and governments must be salivating at getting access to something like this. We know apple will resist where there is no law for it, but once there is a law they will follow suit. And frankly I don't trust the UK government as far as I could throw them at the moment (off the top of a cliff is preferable).

However at the end of the day, Tim Sweeney is the last person who should be making comments like this with a straight face.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Isn't Eisberg notorious on the various Epic Reddits too? They certainly seem to get around.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Isn't Eisberg notorious on the various Epic Reddits too? They certainly seem to get around.
He deleted his Reddit account a while ago, but yes, he was very active on anything EGS related with his pro-Epic messages. I came across the user about a year ago or so and just starting checking in on his Reddit and Twitter, it was quite fascinating. Didn't follow or send message or anything, just read what he wrote.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Not directly related to EGS, but Rocket League released a new patch today that removes the player counts in game. I know the game went from about 1.8 million peak concurrent shortly after going F2P to around 550k in the past few days. It was in no way dying, but it still had a major decline from its peak. Just goes to show we are absolutely spoiled by Steam's player stats and how the rest of the industry tries to hide everything outside of occasional infographs and press releases.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
For the record, I tested this profile and it was marked as a bot (although the correct denomination would be "paid commercial driven account") by two different systems and I kind of suspect the picture is AI generated.
Wouldn't suprise me, I even remember reading a tweet where he wrote back to Sweeney "haha, we love you tim"? a few months back, so then I basically just started checking what the user wrote sometimes during a week. One of thew users main points is how Steam is dying, EGS the future and the best storefront on PC.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Wouldn't suprise me, I even remember reading a tweet where he wrote back to Sweeney "haha, we love you tim"? a few months back, so then I basically just started checking what the user wrote sometimes during a week. One of thew users main points is how Steam is dying, EGS the future and the best storefront on PC.
It's basically one of those "corporation driven" accounts like those from "Amazon workers"

Yeah, it checks all the boxes but I didn't test this one back in the day with any software, to be fair, I didn't because I totally forgot about it xD

Reactions: lashman

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
This is beyond pathetic 🙄
Astroturfing is pathetic, yes, but I mean, Twitter has as a CEO a cunt that believes that Bitcoin is going to unite us all while that shit is killing us all and making rich cunts richer so yeah, don't expect this shit to disappear anytime soon, this is how pathetic corpos fight, they don't have human beings following them.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
The EGS top sellers updated for the first time in I think nearly two weeks. The only notable thing is that Back 4 Blood is in 5th place. The only reason I'm even posting this is to create a point in time to refer to whenever they decide to update it again.