News Epic Games Store

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
The EGS top sellers updated for the first time in I think nearly two weeks. The only notable thing is that Back 4 Blood is in 5th place. The only reason I'm even posting this is to create a point in time to refer to whenever they decide to update it again.
That is not correct, Arc, it has been updating at regular basis every Monday ^^

Sometimes it gets 2 or 3 updates in one week but the usual timing is Monday at 4:00am my local time :blobmorning:

Reactions: Arc

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Got my copy of Axiom Verge 2 from my favorite Epic Games Store. Doesn't mean I will play it, but I will try out a bit, bit I I will be picking it up on Steam when it's out.

Edit:
Wok Don't be dissapointed, Tom Happ will be getting my money as I have doubts that the game will be exceeding it's minimum Epic guarantee.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I tried 2 games that all looks to have bombed on EGS, so much that the devs and pub don't give a shit about them.

A Knight's Quest - really bad, like a really bad and janky Zelda clone. Story is not interesting at all, lore is extremely meh, combat is terrible (enemies takes a lot to kill and no feedback when you hit), the audio mixing is terrible (some noises are too low, others too high, the grunts and sounds from your character and enemies are downright embarrasing), the level design is either mediocre or bad and really predictable, there were so many moments I didn't know where to go and I was a few steps from the place I have to stand on in order to activate a cutscene (which often ends really abruptly) or something else to happen in order to progress. I heavily disliked the 30 min I played of it and I would advice everyone to stay away from it, even for free.

Corruption 2029 - basically Mutant Year Zero reskinned and missing it's soul and heart, was fun the first 10 min (played 20 min I think), if you just want more of Mutant Year Zero, it's okay, but nothing special.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
  • Evil
Reactions: ISee and Wok

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I tried 2 games that all looks to have bombed on EGS, so much that the devs and pub don't give a shit about them.

A Knight's Qeust - really bad, like a really bad and janky Zelda clone. Story is not interesting at all, lore is extremely meh, combat is terrible (enemies takes a lot to kill and no feedback when you hit), the audio mixing is terrible (some noises are too low, others too high, the grunts and sounds from your character and enemies are downright embarrasing), the level design is either mediocre or bad and really predictable, there were so many moments I didn't know where to go and I was a few steps from the place I have to stand on in order to activate a cutscene (which often ends really abruptly) or something else to happen in order to progress. I heavily disliked the 30 min I played of it and I would advice everyone to stay away from it, even for free.

Corruption 202+ - basically Mutant Year Zero reskinned and missing it's soul and heart, was fun the first 10 min (played 20 min I think), if you just want more of Mutant Year Zero, it's okay, but nothing special.
You must be mistaken. EGS only allows a curated selection of quality games. ;)

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019

Ironically they gave away the better Yooka-Laylee game back in 2019 with Impossible Lair. Pretty good DKC knockoff (except for the actual Impossible Lair which frustrated me so much that I gave up).
Yeah I also gave up in the final level, it wasn't worth it. I feel like the difficulty was a 4 or 5 up to that point and they just cranked it up to 11 for the final level. I know it's called the Impossible Lair but that huge of a difficulty spike just for the final level isn't good game design.

No idea why they didn't have a normal version of the level and a super hard version, having 2 versions of levels was one of the game's gimmicks.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
For some reason, Naraka Bladepoint still hasn't released on EGS. I have no idea why since it's been out a few days on Steam.

Also yesterday was the one year anniversary of one of the most embarrassing moments in the video game industry.

Yeah I also gave up in the final level, it wasn't worth it. I feel like the difficulty was a 4 or 5 up to that point and they just cranked it up to 11 for the final level. I know it's called the Impossible Lair but that huge of a difficulty spike just for the final level isn't good game design.

No idea why they didn't have a normal version of the level and a super hard version, having 2 versions of levels was one of the game's gimmicks.
I don't mind occasionally playing a masochistic game, but it still needs to respect my time. I can enjoy something like Super Meat Boy since it has quick restarts and I can constantly try an area I'm struggling with. Having to slog through 10+ minutes of a level just to try the part I failed at constantly isn't worth my time any more.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
For some reason, Naraka Bladepoint still hasn't released on EGS. I have no idea why since it's been out a few days on Steam.

Also yesterday was the one year anniversary of one of the most embarrassing moments in the video game industry.

I don't mind occasionally playing a masochistic game, but it still needs to respect my time. I can enjoy something like Super Meat Boy since it has quick restarts and I can constantly try an area I'm struggling with. Having to slog through 10+ minutes of a level just to try the part I failed at constantly isn't worth my time any more.
Naraka is marked as Mid September on EGS now lol

Launch EGS & Gamepass games through Steam UI

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
This may be of use to people who use Steam as their main client but claim a lot of the EGS freebies: steamsync

The app lets you import your EGS games to Steam as non-Steam games automatically without having to manually use third party apps like OSOL. It doesn't do the full shebang yet (no metadata import for things like game covers and such) and only works for EGS (would be nice if it supported other clients like Amazon, Battle.net and so on) but I thought it might be useful for those of us who redeem the freebies or if someone caved on an exclusive here and there but still wants to launch their games through Steam.

For people who use Game Pass, there's also UWPHook, that now also imports SteamGridDB assets so it really is a one-click solution for people to launch their WinStore and Game Pass games through Steam.

I haven't needed an app like this in a long time as I use Playnite, but with Steam Big Picture's replacement on the horizon I figure some people (myself included) are considering going back to using Steam as their launcher. I hope we see more things like this that fill gaps in the Steam client that Valve refuse to do themselves.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
This may be of use to people who use Steam as their main client but claim a lot of the EGS freebies: steamsync

The app lets you import your EGS games to Steam as non-Steam games automatically without having to manually use third party apps like OSOL. It doesn't do the full shebang yet (no metadata import for things like game covers and such) and only works for EGS (would be nice if it supported other clients like Amazon, Battle.net and so on) but I thought it might be useful for those of us who redeem the freebies or if someone caved on an exclusive here and there but still wants to launch their games through Steam.

For people who use Game Pass, there's also UWPHook, that now also imports SteamGridDB assets so it really is a one-click solution for people to launch their WinStore and Game Pass games through Steam.

I haven't needed an app like this in a long time as I use Playnite, but with Steam Big Picture's replacement on the horizon I figure some people (myself included) are considering going back to using Steam as their launcher. I hope we see more things like this that fill gaps in the Steam client that Valve refuse to do themselves.
I never stopped using steam as my launcher, so thanks.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I never stopped using steam as my launcher, so thanks.
I am always on the look out for stuff like this as I’m really big on a unified UI, especially in TV comfy couch setups. When I find good stuff I’ll share it on here.

What all these “add to Steam” apps need is some sort of Web UI so they can be accessed via the Steam browser. Will be very useful for Steam Deck.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I've tried both Playnite and GOG Galaxy 2, but didn't like any of them, but between them, Playnite was best. GOG Galaxy 2 is too wonky with issues for me. Playnite worked, but didn't feel good to actually use. I am still considering many times to get Playnite mainly for non-Steam games.

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
I've tried both Playnite and GOG Galaxy 2, but didn't like any of them, but between them, Playnite was best. GOG Galaxy 2 is too wonky with issues for me. Playnite worked, but didn't feel good to actually use. I am still considering many times to get Playnite mainly for non-Steam games.
PlayNite feels old. Maybe beacause i can not drag and drop anything. GOG Galaxy 2 is crashing regulary for me even if it is idling. :( It also lacks a lot of features like mass tagging.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
FWIW, way back when I was using gamepass for 2 months or so, I tried using UWPHook to get Steam Input working with games, and it was an absolute crapshoot whether it would work or break in horribly "interesting" ways. I haven't tried it in a while though.

CGriffiths86

Nerd Dad
Mar 19, 2021
Playnite is definitely the most customizable and has many plugins for metadata, cover art, themes, etc. Plus it has it's own big picture mode as well. I highly recommend it if someone wants to consolidate all their games.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
FWIW, way back when I was using gamepass for 2 months or so, I tried using UWPHook to get Steam Input working with games, and it was an absolute crapshoot whether it would work or break in horribly "interesting" ways. I haven't tried it in a while though.
Yeah, UWP hook is not ideal for Steam Input. It launches the game and that’s about it - I’d plan to use an Xbox controller if using it.

GloSC is better for Steam Input support in UWP games, but the program is out of date now and ymmv.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
That’s the other option. Apps like OSOL have given me good results with Steam Input, but Windows Store/Game Pass is a nightmare for doing anything MS doesn’t want you to or didn’t think you’d want to do.

Playnite is definitely the most customizable and has many plugins for metadata, cover art, themes, etc. Plus it has it's own big picture mode as well. I highly recommend it if someone wants to consolidate all their games.
Agreed. I’ve got a neat Playnite setup going right now that launches my games from every launcher except EA Play. It works wonders as a comfy couch launcher.

Whether using as a desktop or big picture launcher, my advice for Playnite is to get plugins and skins. It feels much more modern with about 10-20 minutes of tinkering.

I will also echo the opinion that GOG Galaxy is awful. It works fine for GOG games with stuff like achievements, downloading/updating and cloud saves, but for third party launchers it is notoriously shite.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I unfortunately have to chime in on the GOG Galaxy 2 is bad consensus.
AND I'm buying many of my games from GOG to this very day. DRM free and being able to download and launch games without a launcher at all is still appealing to me.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
At least, GOG has cheevos.

The promise:

The reality:

Achievements 🚫
Cloud saves 🚫
Controller support :blobyes:
Overlay 🚫
Single-player :blobyes:

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Is anyone surprised? Fortnite is a ripoff of other BR games before it, so it’s no surprise that they’d cynically adapt it to other popular multiplayer game concepts, especially ones they can’t buy out.

It reminds me of what big tech did (and continues to do) and mobile game pubs like Zynga did.

• This!
Reactions: Yoshi and lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Chivalry 2 has sold 1 million units across console and PC. There was no platform split given, but I'm guessing EGS makes up a decent chunk of the overall total since the original Chivalry had a large fanbase on PC.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
so FortNite is no longer a game but a platform for Epic-developed interpretations of other games of the moment, filtered through a shooter

Chivalry 2 has sold 1 million units across console and PC. There was no platform split given, but I'm guessing EGS makes up a decent chunk of the overall total since the original Chivalry had a large fanbase on PC.
Where else is it even available at this point?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
i very much doubt it

:doubtblob:
Tangential, but I remember Embracer saying that Snowrunner's sales were near evenly split between PS, Xbox and EGS when it hit 1 million copies sold. For simplicity's sake I just assumed the EGS version of Chivalry 2 is at about 1/3 of the total which would be around 333k. Also it was eligible for the $10 discount during its first week which also likely gave sales a boost.

Reactions: lashman
Dec 5, 2018
What does this even mean?!
It was meant mostly as a joke referencing the end game of epic where fornite is a service (it kinda already is, it's just a giant billboard to promote stuff) where you will have everything inside.

In practice it's just a way of making as much money as possible with as little effort as possible