News Epic Games Store

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
It is probably a bit of what we discussed around the unnecessary restrictions and guidelines for achievements. They probably want to really lean into the XP levels for folks to actually start playing games, but it seems like a misstep to have there be any friction for how devs add and use achievements. Valve has struggled to get folks to update a dang cover art, expecting devs to retroactively assign ranks and XP to achievements is a tall order in comparison.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I truly believe Epic were in the process of doing the same with Fall Guys, but it wouldn't be so easy to implement, so they just bought the Fall Guys devs instead, and they are probably working on implementing it on Fortnite now.

That's probably why they are not in a rush to release Fall Guys on EGS.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018

Chivalry 2 has sold 1 million units across console and PC. There was no platform split given, but I'm guessing EGS makes up a decent chunk of the overall total since the original Chivalry had a large fanbase on PC.
For reference, they sold 1m in 2 months on 5 plataforms, Mordhau sold 1m in a month on Steam alone.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
holy shit ... they even borrowed the map layout ...

See, I know folks are trying to say "you cannot copyright a game mode" and "Among Us did not invent the traitor genre" (which I agree with by the way), but it is beyond blatant. Even down to the themes and terms. Like Among Us has an entirely different setting and manner of play from something like Werewolf, Resistance, or Mafia.

It is whatever since with any semblance of backlash they will add some Among Us backpack and Henry Stickman Airship glider and pretend it was always their intent as they continue to look across the aisle at Roblox and think how they can get a piece of that metaverse.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I watched some Fortnite streams to see for myself. Granted I couldn't endure too much of it... but from I saw yeah... there was maybe one new idea in there. The rest of complete ripoff top to bottom. I strongly against being able to copyright anything besides art and code in gaming, but this one of those cases that really tests that.... it's beyond ridiculous.

What's even more irritating it''s that this another one of those cases that Epic could have easily do it in a less assholeish way and still get the same results. They could have collaborated with the Among Us team, have all sort of references and easter eggs in the new mode and give credit where it's due.

But as always they choose to be a dick about it all.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
All I have to say on the matter is that Epic copying Among Us right after doing a giveaway deal with InnerSloth is pretty poetic.

Go ahead and do deals with the company that made their fortune from stealing a business' partner success.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
"Ha, did people expect Epic to actually approach the people they're "homaging" before it's out? lol Delusional.
They didn't pay for PUBG's ideas all those years ago. It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission and they'll just unleash their army of adolescents on anyone who mentions the similarity and suggests Epic pay for anything. "

I had this comment in my reply box but didn't post earlier this evening. Looks like i was spot-on with my guess too.
They should do something so the AmongUs Devs get some cash and recognition but yeah, unlikely i suppose.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
epic after losing their Apple lawsuit:
„We are introducing FPhone. It’s a Phone, an internet communicator and a music player. You can slide to unlock, scroll lists with your finger and pinch to zoom pictures.“

„What?! That’s unfair, the iPhone didn’t start with more features ten years ago either! And no we didn’t copy anything. We were inspired.“

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
If the Among Us controversy gets enough blowback, I guarantee that Epic will make an official collaboration and people will hail them as the savior of gaming again. Heck they could have just done that in the first place and avoided this entire mess.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
The problem is the difference between "what they say" and "what they do". Hell, even sometimes between "what they say" and "what they say".

Epic introduced the EGS, so that developers can get better compensation for their work. Something important, especially for small and independent dev teams. We all know, that wasn't the reason, but let's stick to their message.

And because of that important, industry changing stance, Epic decided to copy a small, independent dev team and make sure that they get zero money for their work and creativity.

"BuT iT's NOt iLlEGal!"

Yes, it's just shitty.

Last edited:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
If the Among Us controversy gets enough blowback, I guarantee that Epic will make an official collaboration and people will hail them as the savior of gaming again. Heck they could have just done that in the first place and avoided this entire mess.
I don't think Epic wants to set a precedent like that. It'll be interesting to see how they respond, if they even respond. We should start bets.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
This is business as usual for Epic. I feel like becoming super successful to the point where you have 'fuck you' money tells you everything you need to know about people.

In Epic's case they are just thieves and bullies.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
This is business as usual for Epic. I feel like becoming super successful to the point where you have 'fuck you' money tells you everything you need to know about people.

i'm sure Tim will have a twitter thread tomorrow about how "that's totally different and fine, and everyone who disagrees is a humourless troll, and also #FreeFortnite"

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
All they had to do is work with a developer they already have a business relationship with and put some official branding in there, have AmongUs skins and throw them some cash and it would be freaking HUGE and people would be happy but noooooo, that's too difficult apparently.

• This!
Reactions: ISee and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Innersloth started as a team of just three people, and that team has worked hard for years to make Among Us a success. The game was originally released in 2018, but it didn’t become popular until two years later. With Innersloth gearing up for Among Us console ports, Fortnite: Impostors is PUBG all over again. The cynic in me thinks the timing is purposeful - an attempt to take the Among Us market on consoles before the devs at Innersloth have the chance. It’s grim.

Fortnite: Impostors is exactly the same as Among Us. There are two Impostors - it’s the same terminology - and the other players have to complete tasks and call meetings to oust them. Even the maps are similar.

Among Us might be successful now, but it was a slog to get here. It launched in 2018 and received next-to-no recognition at all until it became viral by happenstance on Twitch in 2020. This feels like a punch down from a company that’s already accessed the infinite money cheat in life. The Among Us devs even tried to work with Epic on an official collaboration with Fortnite, but Epic decided to do this instead.

Over the past couple of years, Epic has attacked Valve for its revenue split model on Steam, seemingly attempting to help developers get a better deal on digital game sales. Fortnite: Impostors makes that righteous fight with Valve about fairness seem hollow - you’re essentially stealing an indie dev’s lunch money. Considering Ariana Grande will earn an estimated $20 million for a 15-minute concert, it’s not like the company needs it.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

They're also self righteous bullies. Don't forget the entire premise of EGS is to deride Steam's supposedly evil 30% cut (while conveniently making excuses for consoles having the same cut) or how Tim compared his lawsuit with Apple to the civil rights movement (and even doubled down on that idiotic statement).

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Did all the creatives leave when they sold Gears to MS and CliffyB split for bosskey/retirement/whatever he does now? Theyve always kinda been like this trying to get out ahead of trends, but before theyd iterate and make their 'genre of the moment' titles their own thing (say Unreal Tournament vs Quake3Arena in '99).

Reactions: lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Epic and Apple actually have a lot in common. Just like Apple, Epic often builds on established ideas, even back as far as Unreal Tournament, which took inspiration from Quake. Epic is to video gaming what Apple is to the tech world, taking ideas other companies put forward and using their vast cash reserves to present them in a slightly more polished way. A cynic might suggest Tim Sweeney's lawsuit against Apple could be seen as a very, very expensive psychological projection. And hey, I am a cynic.
Epic Games is the very definition of hypocrisy, and this likely won't be the last time we see the firm commit wholesale intellectual theft rather than come up with new ideas. What's next? Fortnite Gear Solid? Super Fortnite Bros? Legend of Fortnite? Only time will tell.