News Epic Games Store

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Ah, Human Head really, and I do mean really, want me to think twice about my refund request. :LOL:

Here's a new email I received:

---

We've received your request for a refund of Rune II. If you would still like to receive the refund, there's no need to do anything further.

But as your request came in before we announced our decision to give a Steam key to those who pre-ordered before May 22, we want to give you the chance to retain the pre-order along with the pre-order incentives. (The different tiers: http://bit.ly/runepreorderbonus)

The feedback from you and other fans was clear. You thought you were getting a Steam key when you pre-ordered and we want you to have it. Reply to this email before May 30, 2019, to stop the refund and a Steam key will be delivered when we launch on Steam in Summer 2020.

Many thanks,
Amethyst Begley
Producer
Human Head Studios

---

How great are they?
I mean, after paying for the game 9+ months ago, getting the silent treatment for several months, and then receiving the wonderful announcement that I'm not getting what I expected, and was listed to receive, when I placed my pre-order, they are now being awesome enough to give me the chance to stop my refund request!

Really, A+ for customer service.
I mean, honestly, I would rather had received my fricking refund in quick and painless fashion, instead of getting a message saying refunds will take up to 6 weeks, and now a new one showing they aren't even processing anything until the 30th, at the very earliest. But I guess you can't have everything. :giggle:
The feel of desperation and tone of sleazy used car salesman really hurts them. Guess they should have thought twice before taking the EGS deal.

Deleted member 113

The feel of desperation and tone of sleazy used car salesman really hurts them. Guess they should have thought twice before taking the EGS deal.
I'm certainly not buying a car from them, that's a fact. ;)

I just want my money back, in a quick, painless way. Apparently, that's too much to ask.
Like it was too much to ask that they dropped an email to those who pre-ordered the game informing us of this change of plans, instead of having to find out about it through a video trailer, and then finding the instructions on how to ask for a refund on... another youtube video (yeah, it's ridiculous, but when they finally sent an email, it was basically saying "we have some info for you: click here for a video". :p).
Ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Is there any real substitute for PC Gamer? I really used to enjoy reading it.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
N
Not of any substance since CGW/GFW Radio - 97.5 The Brodeo closed up shop like 10-11 years ago.
RockPaperShotgun come closest, but their focus is usually not on this kind of thing and they don't share one editorial voice on the matter (Alice went in on EGS, but one of their contributors "Just a launcher"'d it a week earlier.

edit: That Rune II email... that's some desperate 'Please come back! I can change' abuser mentality. They either don't get the problem or they're just in so deep they have no other way out but to wallow in their own shit and hope not everyone abandons them.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
i don't think so ... barely anyone gives a crap about PC gaming :(
You would think someone would have filled in the void Totalbiscuit left (preferably without the relationship with GG...). He got a sizable audience by just focusing on PC gaming and boy it would be nice to have a couple o big ... "influencers" ... really looking at the whole mess Epic is doing instead of tip toeing around it.

It is a little sad that even with the raw numbers in revenue (according to most statements from the publishers), we are still always the "black sheep" on general coverage. Sure without a big corporation that is the face of the ecosystem for people to root for/against the audience is probably smaller, but I got to think there is one... somewhere.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I only know of 3 bigger sites: Them, RPS and PCgamesN and guess what...all 3 basically lick Epic's boots.

However there was one article from RPS a few weeks ago where the writer went in pretty hard against Epic and Tim's "savior of pc gaming mentality" and I damn near fell out of my chair in shock.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
You would think someone would have filled in the void Totalbiscuit left (preferably without the relationship with GG...). He got a sizable audience by just focusing on PC gaming and boy it would be nice to have a couple o big ... "influencers" ... really looking at the whole mess Epic is doing instead of tip toeing around it.

It is a little sad that even with the raw numbers in revenue (according to most statements from the publishers), we are still always the "black sheep" on general coverage. Sure without a big corporation that is the face of the ecosystem for people to root for/against the audience is probably smaller, but I got to think there is one... somewhere.
I miss TB. He wasn't perfect and I didn't agree with him on everything but man was he a worthy steward for PC gaming.

I don't like that people criticize him because of his involvement with GG. He was simply trying to do the right thing and argued the press should do a better job, which was and is still true.

I share your sentiment that despite a steady growth in popularity and revenue and being the fertile ground for innovation thanks to its open nature, PC is always treated as the red-headed stepchild of gaming.

Reactions: fearthedawn

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Really, A+ for customer service.
I mean, honestly, I would rather had received my fricking refund in quick and painless fashion, instead of getting a message saying refunds will take up to 6 weeks, and now a new one showing they aren't even processing anything until the 30th, at the very earliest. But I guess you can't have everything. :giggle:
Maybe they didn't received any money from Epic yet, so they're delaying the refunds as much as possible...

I didn't trust devs and studios enough to preorder or kickstart games before this whole Epic parody of competition, but now there's no way I'll ever consider paying for something not released, polished, patched and reviewed.

This is another consequence of these methods; this is not just Epic's fault, but they amplified this feeling with moneyhatting.

Reactions: lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
"Private Division and Panache Digital Games share a passion for providing the best possible experience to all our players,” said Kari Toyama, senior producer at Private Division, in a statement.
Except our players on Steam. Fuck those people.

i don't think so ... barely anyone gives a crap about PC gaming :(
I write for (and own part of) a PC gaming website, unfortunately it's in greek. If anyone wants to check out the scores for various games (it's all PC reviews), this is the review index page: REVIEWS Archives - Ragequit.gr

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

we can only hope ... although - i doubt it :( most of the big youtubers aren't all that interested in PC specifically (unless they're hardware channels, i guess ... but those, on the other hand, don't really talk about gaming) ... everyone just plays on everything

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019

I write for (and own part of) a PC gaming website, unfortunately it's in greek. If anyone wants to check out the scores for various games (it's all PC reviews), this is the review index page: REVIEWS Archives - Ragequit.gr
Ragequit is great with very honest reviews and i am ashamed i have neglected to stop by for a very long time.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

I'm going to have to dig into those later, as it'd need to be translated, but I like what I see from a design perspective (chief among them, no EGS banners on EGS ads)

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I'm going to have to dig into those later, as it'd need to be translated, but I like what I see from a design perspective (chief among them, no EGS banners on EGS ads)
I actually wrote a piece on Epic somewhat recently.

Most of you already know my stance on the matter so I'll just translate the last couple of sentences:

It took Valve many years of hard work in order to convince both customers and developers that its service is the best choice for the distribution and purchase of games. Epic should be ready to devote just as much time, effort and money to be able to one day match Steam and gain customers who will shop from the Epic Games Store on their own free will, because it offers a better service, not because the game they want isn't available anywhere else.
As with every other PC gaming community, our readers are also overwhelmingly against Epic and its practices.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
If you mean large publications like them, then I don't think so.

Your best bet is just reading helpful and knowledgeable posts from forum members who know what they're talking about, and websites similar to the one Alexandros writes for.

Deleted member 113

Get ready for another publisher selling themselves: I just received an email from Raw Fury announcing that Kingdom: New Lands will be free on the EGS early next month.
And, considering pretty much all the publishers who had these free games on the EGS soon after announced EGS exclusives, this is probably the latest.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Get ready for another publisher selling themselves: I just received an email from Raw Fury announcing that Kingdom: New Lands will be free on the EGS early next month.
And, considering pretty much all the publishers who had these free games on the EGS soon after announced EGS exclusives, this is probably the latest.
Raw Fury was also one of the studios that appear in the Epic Sponsored Epic Gamer Show this E3

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Yeah... that is very strong signal these days. I'm guessing since Epic is just throwing money around these days that being on of the free games also probably gets you a good sum in addition to the exclusive money hat.

Still a good day for news PC wise so far... but I'm not going to tempt the fates too much (or Larian will announce their next game they are teasing is also EGS exclusive :p ).

Reactions: lashman and Milena

Deleted member 113

Still a good day for news PC wise so far... but I'm not going to tempt the fates too much (or Larian will announce their next game they are teasing is also EGS exclusive :p ).
It sure was a good day. Those AoE re-releases will be mine! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I posted that info merely to inform fellow Meta forum members.
I honestly can't be bothered getting upset over exclusivity announcements. :)
If a developer doesn't want my money, I'll simply buy something else. There's plenty of things to spend my money on. :grimacing-face:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
It sure was a good day. Those AoE re-releases will be mine! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I posted that info merely to inform fellow Meta forum members.
I honestly can't be bothered getting upset over exclusivity announcements. :)
If a developer doesn't want my money, I'll simply buy something else. There's plenty of things to spend my money on. :grimacing-face:
Oh, it's good to be informed. Helps to not pay attention to any announcements they make :p

Who would've expected PC gamers waiting for MS' press-conference more than PC Gamers Show? At this point I wouldn't be surprised if 85-90% of games that would be announced on PCGS will end up being EGS exclusives.
As a long-time PC gamer it is just bizarre for me. I have seen they do so many "shady" things over the years and will always will be a little apprehensive because of it. Yet, here we are. I will probably enjoy a lot their conference, and will not watch the "PC Gaming" one.

Strange times.

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Annapurna Interactive, Chucklefish, Digital Extremes, Digital Uppercut, E-WIN, Fatshark, Fellow Traveller, Frontier Developments, Funcom, Modus Games, Paradox Interactive, Perfect World Entertainment, Raw Fury, Rebellion, Re-Logic, and Tripwire Interactive.

The possible list of treacherous heretics according to the encyclopedia.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
As much as I want to trust statements like that, the last 6 months proved that words don't mean squat.
Part of me thinks these statements are either people who tried and couldn't get a deal, or are just making them to see if Sweeney appears carrying his bags of money.

I know there are probably some sincere statements out there, but I'm just pessimistic (or realistic).

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
The owner of Relogic and creator of terraria literally said “Fuck epic” in the terraria discord several times.

They’re VERY vocal about their dislike of epic.
That's great to hear!

But everytime I hear something like that I always see Strauss Zelnick and his speech about respecting gamer's choice...before taking a bath in Epic's money and making every game from his Private Division an EGS exclusive.

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
It's really odd seeing people hail exclusivity as something good. I'd get it if it was Epic making their own stuff or even bankrolling pre-development but this snatch and grab is just sordid and should be panned by press and gamers. I'd like to get some of the PC news writers thoughts of the Epic store from the person themselves rather than through their outlet. I honestly think there's something going on behind the scenes there.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
It's really odd seeing people hail exclusivity as something good. I'd get it if it was Epic making their own stuff or even bankrolling pre-development but this snatch and grab is just sordid and should be panned by press and gamers. I'd like to get some of the PC news writers thoughts of the Epic store from the person themselves rather than through their outlet. I honestly think there's something going on behind the scenes there.
I just assume those people are trolls, tbh.

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I just assume those people are trolls, tbh.
Clickbait farmers. They are professional journalists afterall so trolling would be beneath them.
Funniest thing is that Tim is doing exactly what he told everyone MS would be doing by now while MS is doing the exact opposite. Who is the SAVIOR OF PC GAMING NOW TIM?! WHOO IS IT?! IS IT ME?!

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
So I was looking at my top 20 on the wishlist to assess my personal steampocalypse scenario. Hope I'm wrong but I suspect these are going to see an EGS delay. I really hope not Eastward, that's my number 1.

Raw Fury:

Digital Uppercut:

Humble:

Chucklefish:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This is smart PR on their behalf but I remain very suspicious of Microsoft. The days of UWP aren't over and Windows 10 is still a terrible attempt at taking away control from the users.

They are headed in the right direction but I still don't trust them one bit.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I find this hilarious considering the UWP and Tim Sweeney throwing a tantrum at MS for it.
It's 2019. Projecting is the new black. MS is slowly learning the lessons it should have learned back with GFW[L]. Baby steps, but still steps. Now that MS isn't the big baddy of pc gaming that Sweeney warned us about, Epic has graciously stepped up to fill the role that they had once decried.

Someone has to I guess, might as well be them. They've lived long enough to become the villain (with a saviour complex to boot!)