News Epic Games Store

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
I'm playing Observation (sorry, gaben, i'm weak) and like it a lot. To bad it goes under in the Eggstore. :(
I bought it for cheap and i wonder how the devs feel about this devaluation of their work. I would have bought it full price on Steam on launch.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Well at least for the software developers; get a different job.

You choose to work that much in this field and you do it for the money. Same with being a contractor; you guys talk like they are second class citizens and really I MISS the days when there was more direct contract work in software development.

Outside of the actual developers I'm sure the job market is a bit different though (level designers, artists, etc.) but if you are writing code at Epic I don't really have sympathy for you.
Nope nope nope.
Let's not blame the devs for their leads' faults.

We shouldn't assume the reasons why they are still working there.
We know that Epic pays competitive salaries, requires lots of (well paid) overtime and crunch times, and owns the most popular game in the world.
I think most people would be happy to get loads of money and putting Fortnite on their resume, even if it meant crunching for months.

The issue is not that devs are legitimately so enticed by the pros of such job to disregard the cons.
The issue is that Epic not only has got a very toxic working culture, but also forces its employees to put up with it.

tl;dr
the issue is never the victim, always the perpetrator
In defense of Epics roadmap, now that I get to live in PM land in my new role, a roadmap is simply a plan.
Indeed!
Their fault has been to make the roadmap public - as a publicity stunt even!

Reactions: Swenhir and RionaaM

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Is this spiraling in to a GG forum?! :D

No but seriously the journos seem to tow the same line when it comes to EGS and it's that it's cool and the people who don't like it are whiners. It's frankly stupid.
I like to think we are the complete opposite kind of forum. At least I hope since we are so many far leftist here.:D

Edit: or to be honest I have no idea what kind of politics people have here.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Is this spiraling in to a GG forum?! :D

No but seriously the journos seem to tow the same line when it comes to EGS and it's that it's cool and the people who don't like it are whiners. It's frankly stupid.
I don't think we're ready to talk about GG.

The one thing I care about is doing the right thing. I would love a games journalism that strives to do better with a love of games at its heart.

I'm not just saying this with EGS in mind. I'm a SC backer which means I'm already pretty much jaded when it comes to expecting the press to be fair.

Then there's the fact that as someone who loves games and thinks they are more important as a medium than I could say, the press pretty much gave up on every technical, artistic and game design topics. My only avenues for those are pretty much eurogamer and the GDC presentations.

I guess my point is that what really bothers me about this situation is not only that the gaming media is carrying significant biases and wars of their own but also that they are very superficial in their knowledge, passion and respect for how games are made.

Sorry if that came across as a discombobulated rant, it's hard to articulate the frustration I feel when it came to this topic :).

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah I don't think we need to even have a discussion about GG, can't imagine anyone here has much nice things to say and being critical of the press isn't a GG thing to do, this isn't a "just asking questions" kind of thing. Being critical of companies, whatever they make games or write about games is at least fully encouraged by me.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
tl;dr
the issue is never the victim, always the perpetrator
This is kind of outside the scope of this thread, but there is a fairly cogent argument that while the Epic devs are mistreated, you cannot be a strictly straight “victim” while working for EGS as you signed on to work for a company as collaborators with lootbox “perpetrators.“

Reactions: Copons

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
Many questions in the official Observation Discord channel are like this: "where do i report bugs?"
For me user forums are a necessity. I'm stuck in the game and the normal course of action would be asking in the forum or consulting a user guide. Nada in the eggstore. :(

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Because they want to spin the narrative into a bizarro David Vs Goliath - more like Goliath vs shorter Goliath - story for clicks. You can see it with the entire "finally, someone who can take Valve on!" storyline, this shit is just tabloid writing trying to make this into a WWE feature match.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Yeah I don't think we need to even have a discussion about GG, can't imagine anyone here has much nice things to say and being critical of the press isn't a GG thing to do, this isn't a "just asking questions" kind of thing. Being critical of companies, whatever they make games or write about games is at least fully encouraged by me.
GG poisoned the well, and that's unfortunate (especially given that GG never cared about the media at all, just the harassment of women, but that's been discussed to death elsewhere), but that doesn't mean we should never complain about the way companies and their actions are portrayed in gaming media. What we shouldn't do is harass anyone over it.

Basically, fuck GG both for their past actions and for ruining this kind of good faith discussion forever. And at the same time, it's a shame that Epic's shenanigans haven't been properly assessed in the gaming media, in my opinion of course.

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
GG poisoned the well ... ruining this kind of good faith discussion forever.
I don't think anyone actually thinks that. Even if they do there's no way they're arguing in good faith, like arguing against being a vegetarian because Hitler was one. Also, and I don't mean this as a defense of whatever GG was, but branding the entire movement as the shitty actions of some members is the "Black Lives Matter are looters" and "Antifa are domestic terrorists" of the gaming sphere; it doesn't mean there weren't some core values still worth fighting for.
Everything humanity has touched sucks in some way, our best bet is to take the good parts, discard the bad, and keep moving forward (I really wish I could make this sound like less of a platitude), so I suggest everyone keep fighting for what they believe is right independent of what others with similar views may have done, or whatever your opponents may say to discourage you.

Reactions: xinek and Gevin

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I don't think anyone actually thinks that. Even if they do there's no way they're arguing in good faith, like arguing against being a vegetarian because Hitler was one. Also, and I don't mean this as a defense of whatever GG was, but branding the entire movement as the shitty actions of some members is the "Black Lives Matter are looters" and "Antifa are domestic terrorists" of the gaming sphere; it doesn't mean there weren't some core values still worth fighting for.
Everything humanity has touched sucks in some way, our best bet is to take the good parts, discard the bad, and keep moving forward (I really wish I could make this sound like less of a platitude), so I suggest everyone keep fighting for what they believe is right independent of what others with similar views may have done, or whatever your opponents may say to discourage you.
I disagree, GG was founded on harassment since day one. It was never about "ethics in gaming journalism". That much is clear when you look at their prime targets: a woman whose sex life (a completely private matter) they discussed to death, another woman who dared talk about feminism and gaming, and men who defended these women and their right to voice their opinions. Also, their actions weren't for the betterment of gaming media, but for the silencing of feminism and female voices (unless they agreed with their hateful rethoric, in which case they used them as shields with the hilariously unironical #NotYourShield hashtag).

Nah, there's nothing good, noble or even acceptable about GG. It was, is and forever will be a hate group.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Roadmap status: 3(?) working days left in May, none of of features slated for May have shipped. They all were delayed from April. So I guess they'll re-delay them. Taking notes from Valve time I see (Expect about not crunching).

Reactions: lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Roadmap status: 3(?) working days left in May, none of of features slated for May have shipped. They all were delayed from April. So I guess they'll re-delay them. Taking notes from Valve time I see (Expect about not crunching).
We'll all look quite the fool when the entire roadmap is cleared in fell swoop on friday. Little did we know they never left that theater after the credits of endgame. Theyve been coding store updates with no outside contact this whole time!

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah I would imagine they are working on a huge update to wow the masses.

Edit: Or maybe not, considering that their client has been pretty bad forever even when it was all about Unreal Engine and that was their main thing.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I understand software is hard and to be honest delays are always to be expected. However depending on when those features end up being delivered by Epic, we'll be ready to argue against or for the truthfulness of future announcements.

Worse thing is, I feel for Epic's engineers who are probably being thrown under the bus in all sorts of ways.

I wish this wasn't the same company that is responsible for such a brilliant engine, the contrast is disheartening.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I understand software is hard and to be honest delays are always to be expected. However depending on when those features end up being delivered by Epic, we'll be ready to argue against or for the truthfulness of future announcements.

Worse thing is, I feel for Epic's engineers who are probably being thrown under the bus in all sorts of ways.

I wish this wasn't the same company that is responsible for such a brilliant engine, the contrast is disheartening.
oh, you can be sure someone is crunching their ass off working on that thing

but then again - i have a feeling that roadmap was never about actual promises .... it was just put up there to get some good PR, so all those websites could write articles about all those features coming soon ... but then no one seems all that interested that none of those features were delivered when specified ... i don't think i've seen a single article about that ... maybe like one, somewhere

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I'm sure a decent update for the store is coming.. they have to get things in order, including their matchmaking API, for the Borderlands 3 launch. 2k is probably already not very happy that the game is not being sold at the eve of E3, and if Epic botch the launch it will really raise the price of the next exclusive.

As for "accuracy" of Roadmaps, yes, they are always in flux and delays are inevitable and hard to predict, however once you start using them as marketing tools to try mitigate the current state of your product (EGS, Anthem, and so on) then they have a whole different meaning and becomes fair game to criticize them.

Also, this is all on management. We know Epic has good programmers (and obviously money to hire more) so I have no doubt that the fact the store is still in this state is because they didn't allocate people to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: undu and Ascheroth

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
oh, you can be sure someone is crunching their ass off working on that thing

but then again - i have a feeling that roadmap was never about actual promises .... it was just put up there to get some good PR, so all those websites could write articles about all those features coming soon ... but then no one seems all that interested that none of those features were delivered when specified ... i don't think i've seen a single article about that ... maybe like one, somewhere
Tell me about it. I feel frustrated on this kind of reporting in particular because, as mentioned earlier, I'm an SC backer and it's been the opposite situation for us, Incredible technological breakthroughs, meeting milestones and delivering things that no other game even attempts? Not a peep from the media. Missed date though? Headlines ahoy : troubled development, mismanagement, yet another deadline missed and other thinly-veiled attacks on the character of the people making the game.

This is why I find it particularly annoying to see the press's apparent meticulosity when it comes to project management draw a blank with Epic.

I know Epic will try to wiggle out of this situation by being fallacious about the intent of the roadmap but now we will be able to reference it as a historical example of their reliability.

Last edited:

InquisitorAles

I know nothing
Oct 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
No one should be surprised of that another store features delay because right now EGS team putting most of their resources to make a proper Uplay API and get Ubisoft games back to the store before sale ends. It's been 2 weeks already since Ubisoft games were pulled from EGS and it's their main priority now to bring them back

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
No one should be surprised of that another store features delay because right now EGS team putting most of their resources to make a proper Uplay API and get Ubisoft games back to the store before sale ends. It's been 2 weeks already since Ubisoft games were pulled from EGS and it's their main priority now to bring them back
i can only feel bad for the actual devs having to do that shit ASAP ... probably working 16h days just to have it ready before the end of the sale

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Everyone's favorite PC publication. (this is real btw).
PC Gamer was one of the few major gaming related sites that didn't report about the majority of revenue for Metro Exodus being on consoles. It's obvious that Epic being their biggest sponsor and advertiser has a significant impact on their site and opinion pieces. There are also a handful of people shilling for Epic in the comments, and several people criticizing EGS have been banned (myself included). They went from my favorite PC publication to a site that I ignore as hard as IGN and Polygon.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I just checked and the main advert on pcgamer in the uk is for War Thunder with the epic lol sale relegated to a panel down the side... for now.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I wonder if this is just an excuse from Ubisoft to pull out of Epic's sales? Last thing they need is people preferring EGS over uPlay for their 1st party games. Technical issues with the link between EGS and Ubisoft would have been fixed by now, considering how basic that link is.

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
PC Gamer was one of the few major gaming related sites that didn't report about the majority of revenue for Metro Exodus being on consoles. It's obvious that Epic being their biggest sponsor and advertiser has a significant impact on their site and opinion pieces. There are also a handful of people shilling for Epic in the comments, and several people criticizing EGS have been banned (myself included). They went from my favorite PC publication to a site that I ignore as hard as IGN and Polygon.
And you still have people claiming that this is normal advertisment and that there is no evidence of EPIC having any influence on the site(s).

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Private Division has clarified that the three months where Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey will only be available on Epic Games Store is down to ensuring high standards for the console versions, rather than part of its deal with Epic.

"Private Division and Panache Digital Games share a passion for providing the best possible experience to all our players,” said Kari Toyama, senior producer at Private Division, in a statement.

“As partners, we support Panache in taking the time to ensure all versions of Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey deliver the standard of polish upon release that the team has set for themselves. As a developer-focused publisher, this is an important approach we take in working with smaller independent teams.”

Patrice Désilets' Ancestors will be exclusive to Epic Games Store for three months

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Banned
Oct 20, 2018
The problem with the roadmap is that people and publications use it as a point.
"It's okay features are coming soon ! Look at the roadmap ! It's happening so stop complaining !"

But when you tell them it's not happening, they proceed to tell you:
"Hey ! It's just a roadmap ! Don't you know how roadmaps work ? It means it's what they are planning in the long run !"

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Private Division has clarified that the three months where Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey will only be available on Epic Games Store is down to ensuring high standards for the console versions, rather than part of its deal with Epic.

"Private Division and Panache Digital Games share a passion for providing the best possible experience to all our players,” said Kari Toyama, senior producer at Private Division, in a statement.

“As partners, we support Panache in taking the time to ensure all versions of Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey deliver the standard of polish upon release that the team has set for themselves. As a developer-focused publisher, this is an important approach we take in working with smaller independent teams.”

Patrice Désilets' Ancestors will be exclusive to Epic Games Store for three months
That's quite the way of saying 1 year EGS exclusivity. Well, I guess that's another game on the pile of games to try and remember next year

Deleted member 113

This is hilarious.
As you may have heard, Human Head decided to go for EGS exclusivity, and announced it by releasing a video and promoting things on social media, while not even bothering to send an email to those who pre-ordered the game months ago (in my case, it was last August) until many hours later, when people started complaining.

Not only they didn't make the link for refunds very clear on previous communications (there wasn't one that I could find on their email; I had to follow a link on youtube!), but now they are emailing their customers, trying to dissuade them from asking for a refund.

Here's the email I just received.

Greetings Warriors!
We understand that pre-order supporters were promised a Steam key for their pre-order purchase. To that end, we are offering every person that has pre-ordered RUNE II before 05/22/19 an additional Steam key containing all pre-order incentives, to be delivered when we launch on Steam in Summer 2020.
In summary, all RUNE II pre-order purchasers will receive:
  • An Epic Games store key (1) with all of their pre-order incentives. (Summer 2019)
  • BONUS! An Epic Games store key (1) with the standard edition of RUNE II (Summer 2019)
  • NEW BONUS! A Steam key (1) with all of pre-order incentives (Estimated: Summer 2020)
As Chris Rhinehart said in our Q&A video, we still firmly believe that Epic Games is the correct partner for us to align with. That said, we want to do right for the community that has supported Human Head Studios in the past 20 years. If you would still like a refund, you can submit that request up until 6/5/19 at: RUNE II Refund Form

Through your comments, tweets, Discord messages, and more, we’ve heard you loud and clear. We will constantly strive to improve the way that we communicate about these types of matters in the future.

Thank You,
The RUNE II Development Team

Clearly, the reaction to the news was overwhelmingly positive indeed. :grimacing-face:
Needless to say, I have asked for a refund, and I'm not changing my mind.
Ah, Human Head really, and I do mean really, want me to think twice about my refund request. :LOL:

Here's a new email I received:

---

We've received your request for a refund of Rune II. If you would still like to receive the refund, there's no need to do anything further.

But as your request came in before we announced our decision to give a Steam key to those who pre-ordered before May 22, we want to give you the chance to retain the pre-order along with the pre-order incentives. (The different tiers: http://bit.ly/runepreorderbonus)

The feedback from you and other fans was clear. You thought you were getting a Steam key when you pre-ordered and we want you to have it. Reply to this email before May 30, 2019, to stop the refund and a Steam key will be delivered when we launch on Steam in Summer 2020.

Many thanks,
Amethyst Begley
Producer
Human Head Studios

---

How great are they?
I mean, after paying for the game 9+ months ago, getting the silent treatment for several months, and then receiving the wonderful announcement that I'm not getting what I expected, and was listed to receive, when I placed my pre-order, they are now being awesome enough to give me the chance to stop my refund request!

Really, A+ for customer service.
I mean, honestly, I would rather had received my fricking refund in quick and painless fashion, instead of getting a message saying refunds will take up to 6 weeks, and now a new one showing they aren't even processing anything until the 30th, at the very earliest. But I guess you can't have everything. :giggle:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
But as your request came in before we announced our decision to give a Steam key to those who pre-ordered before May 22, we want to give you the chance to retain the pre-order along with the pre-order incentives. (The different tiers: http://bit.ly/runepreorderbonus)

The feedback from you and other fans was clear. You thought you were getting a Steam key when you pre-ordered and we want you to have it. Reply to this email before May 30, 2019, to stop the refund and a Steam key will be delivered when we launch on Steam in Summer 2020.
sounds kinda desperate

Deleted member 113

sounds kinda desperate
It really does.

What's worse is that they clearly fail to understand that they aren't doing anyone a favour by giving their customers what they paid for, but a full year later.
Really, what does offering a Steam key a year later changes? Who would want to keep a paid pre-order of a game, a premium (more expensive) edition at that, only to get to play it a full year after it launches elsewhere? In the summer of 2020, the game will cost peanuts, not 50€.

All these emails, and messages on social media, trying to appeal to some empathy by its customers, and saying they are listening to our feedback, instead of processing refunds, just ends up making me more pissed off.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It really does.

What's worse is that they clearly fail to understand that they aren't doing anyone a favour by giving their customers what they paid for, but a full year later.
Really, what does offering a Steam key a year later changes? Who would want to keep a paid pre-order of a game, a premium (more expensive) edition at that, only to get to play it a full year after it launches elsewhere? In the summer of 2020, the game will cost peanuts, not 50€.

All these emails, and messages on social media, trying to appeal to some empathy by its customers, and saying they are listening to our feedback, instead of processing refunds, just ends up making me more pissed off.
you know what they say: "ask for forgiveness, not permission"

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Ah, Human Head really, and I do mean really, want me to think twice about my refund request. :LOL:

Here's a new email I received:

---

We've received your request for a refund of Rune II. If you would still like to receive the refund, there's no need to do anything further.

Many thanks,
Amethyst Begley
Producer
Human Head Studios

---

How great are they?
I mean, after paying for the game 9+ months ago, getting the silent treatment for several months, and then receiving the wonderful announcement that I'm not getting what I expected, and was listed to receive, when I placed my pre-order, they are now being awesome enough to give me the chance to stop my refund request!

Really, A+ for customer service.
I mean, honestly, I would rather had received my fricking refund in quick and painless fashion, instead of getting a message saying refunds will take up to 6 weeks, and now a new one showing they aren't even processing anything until the 30th, at the very earliest. But I guess you can't have everything. :giggle:
Two things:
The feedback from you and other fans was clear. : They had a good number of their fans protesting about their decission to imprison their game and that is good. The developers know that a good number of people don agree with what the EGS is doing with moneyhats.

You thought you were getting a Steam key when you pre-ordered and we want you to have it.: Crapy PR which shifts the blame to the consumer, their fans that funded the project in the first place. The phrase "You thought you were getting a steam key" is insulting the intelligence of the consumer.

I hope that Human head does well in the future but i do not want to give them my money and that is fine.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Two things:
The feedback from you and other fans was clear. : They had a good number of their fans protesting about their decission to imprison their game and that is good. The developers know that a good number of people don agree with what the EGS is doing with moneyhats.

You thought you were getting a Steam key when you pre-ordered and we want you to have it.: Crapy PR which shifts the blame to the consumer, their fans that funded the project in the first place. The phrase "You thought you were getting a steam key" is insulting the intelligence of the consumer.

I hope that Human head does well in the future but i do not want to give them my money and that is fine.
Yep. It's not "customers thought they were getting a Steam key" so much as "you fucking told them they would get a Steam key yourself". Devs spinning things around to somehow blame the customers for not wanting to swallow their shitty unilaterally changed deals is a sight to see.