News Epic Games Store

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Tyler has been shilling for Epic since the very beginning of EGS in the most ridiculous ways. It's weird to see him writing something like this (although I still disagree that Steam is a monopoly). Perhaps Epic stopped advertising on PC Gamer? 🤔

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Tyler has been shilling for Epic since the very beginning of EGS in the most ridiculous ways. It's weird to see him writing something like this (although I still disagree that Steam is a monopoly). Perhaps Epic stopped advertising on PC Gamer? 🤔
Still, it's a pretty shitty, badly written article, the choice of some words seems to still make fun of people who "supported" Steam and honestly comes off as kinda passive-agressive.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
People Idiots don't understand the difference between a monopoly and a hegemony.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Still, it's a pretty shitty, badly written article, the choice of some words seems to still make fun of people who "supported" Steam and honestly comes off as kinda passive-agressive.
Absolutely. No word about how these other clients never even bothered to compete with Steam.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Tim did an oopsie:
Epic Games Inc. has agreed to pay $520 million to resolve Federal Trade Commission allegations that the "Fortnite" videogame developer violated online privacy protections for children and tricked players into making unintended purchases.

The FTC said the agreement consisted of two record-breaking settlements that resolve a pair of civil complaints it was filing against Epic. One, filed in federal court, alleged the company violated the federal Children's Online Privacy Protection Act by collecting personal information from "Fortnite" players under the age of 13 without notifying their parents or obtaining verifiable parental consent.
:toucan:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

No developer creates a game with the intention of ending up here. The video game industry is a place of fast-moving innovation, where player expectations are high and new ideas are paramount. Statutes written decades ago don’t specify how gaming ecosystems should operate. The laws have not changed, but their application has evolved and long-standing industry practices are no longer enough. We accepted this agreement because we want Epic to be at the forefront of consumer protection and provide the best experience for our players.

:rolleyes:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
For what it's worth the changes they list are actually a positive if they're implemented with care and in good faith. Do I think Epic will? No, they're entirely too self-serving, but if someone else did, it'd be a positive step.

That said, this PR release is a "We're sorry we've got caught stealing children's data and money, not sorry we did it",
They've been doing the these things for years and wouldn't have changed had they not been sued by the FTC and other government bodies around the world.

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
From the Wildermyth 1.11 patch notes:

Note: Epic Games is on a company-wide break at the moment, so players who own the game on the Epic Games store won't get this update until sometime after January 3rd. This also means that crossplay with players who own the game on Epic won't work until that time (since game versions need to be the same for multiplayer). Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause; we considered holding back the patch, but wanted to get it out to players for the holidays!

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
From the Wildermyth 1.11 patch notes:

Note: Epic Games is on a company-wide break at the moment, so players who own the game on the Epic Games store won't get this update until sometime after January 3rd. This also means that crossplay with players who own the game on Epic won't work until that time (since game versions need to be the same for multiplayer). Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause; we considered holding back the patch, but wanted to get it out to players for the holidays!
Wtf are developers not allowed to push patches while Epic is closed?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
The publishing tools have been in closed beta since August 2021 and Tim said they would have a wide release next month. I have no idea why the WIldermyth devs aren't allowed to patch.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The publishing tools have been in closed beta since August 2021 and Tim said they would have a wide release next month. I have no idea why the WIldermyth devs aren't allowed to patch.
Tim says a lot of things.

Turns out making a properly working self-serving store might be harder that they though.

Dec 5, 2018
I have a hard time believing that 505 would give the DC version for free when they can get more money by giving the base game and then charging for the DC upgrade.

This is the fucking company that created a (fucked) base version of Control, just so I'd be part of a humble bundle (heck I know have an incomplete version of the game on :confounded-face:).