News Epic Games Store

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I love how the url and the game title have nothing in common. Imagine if you can't even search this game because you don't know which of the 2 the EGS search engine will look up
lol I found his itch.io and it's the name of a different game. holy crap some of these games are disgusting.

Reactions: lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

No Steam releases were a given, but the fact Ubisoft is (possibly) skipping EGS is eyebrow raising. I had my suspicions as the press releases for Avatar and Star Wars only mentioned Ubisoft Connect and there was a Ubisoft Forward store page on EGS last week that did not showcase either game. Both games will wind up on both stores eventually, but it is cute seeing Ubisoft trying to pretend they are Blizzard tier.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I forgot to mention this, but it also appears XDefiant is Ubisoft Connect exclsuive as well. This one isn't quite as surprising as Hyper Scape was Uplay exclusive until the game cratered and Ubi tossed it on EGS in a desperate attempt to revive it.

Maybe Ubi thinks Avatar and Star Wars are such big IPs that they can skip both Steam and EGS, and they could very well be right! At the same time, Assassin's Creed is a mega IP and Mirage is still launching on EGS so I have no idea what their gameplan is. :shrugblob:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Speaking to Eurogamer at Summer Games Fest earlier this month, Alan Wake 2's creative director Sam Lake and game director Kyle Rowley gave us a little more detail on the reasoning behind going digital-only, explaining that, actually, it was to allow Remedy more time to polish the game to an acceptable level - something publisher Epic Games had also been on board with.

"Yeah, it is digital only, and kind of coming to this idea, both from Remedy and Epic's perspective, that's our current thinking. It just felt it makes sense for this, and the timing felt right," Lake explained, before Rowley gave a little more detail.

"As creatives obviously, by going digital-only it does allow us more time to polish the game," Rowley said. "Like, a significant amount of weeks actually. Because otherwise, the game that goes on the disc, obviously it has to be playable without a patch."

"We didn't want to release something that we weren't proud of basically, and that we didn't want players to play. So hopefully this way we can give you a better version of the game."
pfffft. They aren't doing a physical release because Epic doesn't want to spend money printing discs. I get it's PR and spin, but c'mon. Even Alan Wake Remastered had a physical release.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
pfffft. They aren't doing a physical release because Epic doesn't want to spend money printing discs. I get it's PR and spin, but c'mon. Even Alan Wake Remastered had a physical release.
This. Plus Epic wants to push as many people into EGS as possible.

Anyway, it's not looking good for AW2. Let's hope this shitshow leads to other devs thinking twice before signing a publishing deal with Epic.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Alan Wake 2 also releases during arguably the busiest week of the year. While there probably isn't much overlap between a potential AW2 customer and someone who buys Super Mario Wonder, the deluge of games will take eyeballs off AW2 that may have been focused on it during a less busy time of year. They really should have done a January release when the calendar is empty.

This. Plus Epic wants to push as many people into EGS as possible.

Anyway, it's not looking good for AW2. Let's hope this shitshow leads to other devs thinking twice before signing a publishing deal with Epic.
That's the point of having first party exclusives. I don't care about that and it's perfectly fine for Epic to do that since they financed the game. I simply don't like having blatant smoke blown up my butt, however I know the Remedy devs can't tell the truth otherwise it would sour relations with their publisher.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force
Dec 5, 2018
They really should have done a January release when the calendar is empty.
I assume they wanted to release a spooky game in spooky season (maybe even do a fornite halloween crossover event or something, although that might be giving Epic too much credit). Whether that's a good idea considering the number of games releasing is another story.

• Shrug
Reactions: Arc

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Epic releasing Alan Wake 2 within a week of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo’s big fall titles just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Let alone all the other stuff releasing around it.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Do I understand correctly that the way achievements work on EGS is that when you get an achievement, the game pauses for a couple seconds - like literally stops - pop up appears, and obnoxious immersion destroying sound plays?

Do I understand correctly that this cannot be disabled, not even the overlay itself can be disabled, other than through some hack like deleting overlay files or killing the process via task manager?

I am playing Callisto Protocol...suffice to say, this is the last time I bought a non-exclusive game on EGS. This is the most ridiculous immersion breaking nonsense I have ever seen. Fuck achievements!

And fuck Epic and their stupidity and inability to design and implement even just a half decent launcher.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
People praising Epic's worthless rating system over Valves solution to detect and exclude review bombing aren't very objective imo. 🙄

Better regional pricing and rewards are also not as good as 3rd party shops and key bundles for Steam.

Free games and the coupons are the only benefits of EGS imo. And we all know both of these things are only temporary.

Sadrac

Dec 6, 2018
People praising Epic's worthless rating system over Valves solution to detect and exclude review bombing aren't very objective imo. 🙄

Better regional pricing and rewards are also not as good as 3rd party shops and key bundles for Steam.

Free games and the coupons are the only benefits of EGS imo. And we all know both of these things are only temporary.
I dislike Epic as much as the next guy, but point 3 would be nice to have on steam in my daily use.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
12 isnt even true. You can play multiple games at a time on Steam.

Also man this dudes post history is just the egs subreddit or him white knighting epic on /r/fuckepic. Bootlickers are craaazy
I was the one who gave the post a facepalm reward and kiwi sent a one word reply to the award ("bruh") and then posted about it in the /r/EpicGames PC discord server.

Kiwi is a lot worse on the discord server. Eisenberg and a few others are on that server also.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Given how corrupt the current Supreme Court is, I expect at least six of the members to be getting lots of favours from the two Tims.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Starfield apparently skipping Epic is weird since Bethesda is otherwise all in on EGS. They're even giving away Elder Scrolls Online this week. Maybe Gabe and Phil have a super secret exclusivity deal. :detectiveblob:

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Starfield apparently skipping Epic is weird since Bethesda is otherwise all in on EGS. They're even giving away Elder Scrolls Online this week. Maybe Gabe and Phil have a super secret exclusivity deal. :detectiveblob:
It is indeed weird, but it's Epics loss noneless.

• Evil
Reactions: Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Curious what Epic thinks about missing out on both Baldurs Gate 3 and Starfield.
I'm surprised you're still surprised that more and more publishers don't bother to release on EGS if there isn't any deal involved (giveaway, exclusivity). The cost for implementing Epic's mandatory features is probably higher than the profit from the few sales they get on EGS.

Reactions: ExistentialThought
Dec 5, 2018
The cost for implementing Epic's mandatory features is probably higher than the profit from the few sales they get on EGS.
We know that some big games (like CP2077) were paid to launch there. So you'd think they do the same for starfield (at least).
While money isn't "free" anymore, what they paid for that wasn't that much (considering epic's size).

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
We know that some big games (like CP2077) were paid to launch there. So you'd think they do the same for starfield (at least).
While money isn't "free" anymore, what they paid for that wasn't that much (considering epic's size).
They might not be willing to do that anymore, since their investment is probably in the 'winding down' phase as per the Epic v Apple court documents.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
You kinda have to wonder what Tim's reaction was when he saw the Overwatch 2/Blizzard games coming to Steam announcement.
He thinks he's an amazing world class genius, that everyone else is stupid and inferior, and that every thought in his head is a singular work of cosmic salvation. If you expect anything different, you haven't observed rich people enough. (Don't forget the yes men he's hired to reinforce all this)

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
The thing that makes EGS's failure hilarious is that everyone involved in its launch was so damn arrogant. They all thought that they knew better than everyone else. I bet they were high-fiving each other as they were coming up with brilliant ideas such as:

- Trying to establish the market presence of the store with exclusives, despite the fact that much bigger companies with much bigger IP had already failed

- Wanting to stop Steam having defacto exclusives by launching a closed store that only a handful of devs had access to

- Entering a new market against an established competitor and immediately making an enemy out of the most vocal and energized part of your customer base

- Competing against the most feature-rich platform by taking two years to add a shopping cart

- making a tightly curated store that is all about 'quality' and then filling it to the brim with garbage

I would love to know what the galaxy brains at Epic were smoking when they came up with their business plan.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I would love to know what the galaxy brains at Epic were smoking when they came up with their business plan.
I suppose Epic REALLY believed that devs and publishers would abandon Steam in favor of their 12% cut. That was probably the majority of their business plan.

Anyway, EGS launch was GFWL all over again: an annoyance for PC gaming and a bare bones experience, that was built by a company that doesn't understand what PC gamers need and want. I'm extremely happy that they failed hard.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I mean, it helped to fund Alan Wake 2, so even if it goes down in flames the next day (after I downloaded the build using Heroic), it's still a big success for me personally.
They need to wait for GenDesign and Playdead to finish their projects before the EGS go down in flames. I actually would like to play them, but they take forever with their projects.

Reactions: Alexandros