News Epic Games Store

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Part of Mediatonic has been sent to the Fortnite mines. I haven't paid super close attention to Fall Guys, but I know they added a map editor then announced seasons were going away. AFAIK the only content updates they get now are new skins and popular user made levels added to the map rotation.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
It seems like Mediatonic, the developers of Fall Guys, has been working on Fortnite. At least one of their teams has been. I wonder if Fall Guys has been doing well for Epic?
Last I heard, they are running a much smaller crew and are pushing more to have Fall Guys be on auto pilot so to speak with more focus on community generated content. Though I thought Fall Guys was suppose to come to mobile.

I really have to wonder if Epic feels like they were too quick to purchase Irregular Corporation as it feels like little has come of it. I am still surprised Devolver let them get snatched since it likely hurt their silly plan to go public.

Reactions: lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Sick of this dude.

Also he's flat out lying considering there are games that use AI such as this. I feel like there's more to the story and Tim is acting disingenuous to get some rep with Twitter idiots.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Since I suspect this is mostly to avoid any possible copyright infringement one has to wonder why the CEO of a company that offers software to the biggest Hollywood companies wants to go down that road.

To be clear, I know that it's baked in his personality.
Hollywood CEOs would love to use generative AI to save a few bucks and it's one of the major reasons for the strike. Tim would get along just fine with them.

/r/EpicGamesPC discord

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Sick of this dude.

Also he's flat out lying considering there are games that use AI such as this. I feel like there's more to the story and Tim is acting disingenuous to get some rep with Twitter idiots.
This is the Valve email.
It's not blanket ban, but only when you don't own rights.

While we strive to ship most titles submitted to us, we cannot ship games for which the developer does not have all of the necessary rights.
After reviewing, we have identified intellectual property in [Game Name Here] which appears to belongs to one or more third parties. In particular, [Game Name Here] contains art assets generated by artificial intelligence that appears to be relying on copyrighted material owned by third parties. As the legal ownership of such AI-generated art is unclear, we cannot ship your game while it contains these AI-generated assets, unless you can affirmatively confirm that you own the rights to all of the IP used in the data set that trained the AI to create the assets in your game.
We are failing your build and will give you one (1) opportunity to remove all content that you do not have the rights to from your build.
If you fail to remove all such content, we will not be able to ship your game on Steam, and this app will be banned.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I hope he's well compensated for his services. I've seen him white knight Epic on Reddit, Twitter, PC Gamer comments, YouTube and ironically Steam forums.
He’s doing a shit job so I hope he’s not paid.

If you’re gonna astroturf, at least do it how Microsoft does it. Or don’t, because astroturfing is fucking grim.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I find it funny that Stardock only links to the Steam version of Galactic Civilization IV in their newsletters despite it being a former EGS exclusive.
It actually makes sense and we talked about it a lot back when the EGS exclusive barrage began. Since the money Epic was handing out was in the form of a minimum sales guarantee, every dev that didn't reach the minimum sales threshold by the time exclusivity ended would then have zero incentive to point people towards EGS as they would not be receiving any money from it until the threshold is reached.

So, if Epic prepaid for let's say 400,000 GalCiv IV copies and the game only sold 100,000 during its first year on EGS, Stardock won't be receiving any money from EGS sales until the 400,000 mark is reached, which will be never. Therefore Stardock wants to funnel new customers to Steam because they will get paid for every sale and they don't have to pay back Epic.

Basically, Tim is getting swindled by the devs he paid so much money to, which is indeed very funny.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

It actually makes sense and we talked about it a lot back when the EGS exclusive barrage began. Since the money Epic was handing out was in the form of a minimum sales guarantee, every dev that didn't reach the minimum sales threshold by the time exclusivity ended would then have zero incentive to point people towards EGS as they would not be receiving any money from it until the threshold is reached.

So, if Epic prepaid for let's say 400,000 GalCiv IV copies and the game only sold 100,000 during its first year on EGS, Stardock won't be receiving any money from EGS sales until the 400,000 mark is reached, which will be never. Therefore Stardock wants to funnel new customers to Steam because they will get paid for every sale and they don't have to pay back Epic.

Basically, Tim is getting swindled by the devs he paid so much money to, which is indeed very funny.
Just to expand on this a bit: The first wave of Epic exclusives had a 12 month recoup period where, if a title did not reach its minimum guarantee in sales, it would still revert to the normal cut and Epic would cut their losses. Future waves had a lifetime recoup period where if a game never reached its minimum guarantee, every future sale would go towards that guarantee regardless of how long it took. I don't know the terms of the Galactic Civilizations 4 contract or how well it sold, but if it's still under the lifetime recoup period then, as you said, every purchase on EGS could simply be money lost.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Imagine this situation now: You can announce that you will cover every unity fee revenue for every developer as long as their game is published and generates above 200k limit on EPIC store.

Just imagine the marketing hype that you will cause, especially for developers that just want to publish their game this year, or future developers that want to use unity.
lmao

SteveWinwood

🥔🥔🥔
Jan 28, 2019
lmao
you missed the best part
Hey EPIC. Even though you have never answer my emails and communication attempts to place my game on your market, still i’m here and offering you the bil $ idea.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

It was one of the top 20 games on EGS in their year in review infograph as well. However they gave it away for free after 6 months so it was probably struggling for awhile.
I tried it once, had no idea what I was doing, the map sucked and it was very difficult to see where you were or where you were going.

• Sad

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
All 5 people who were getting this on EGS and frequently trolled forums by saying "it's just another launcher" will now go and use the "another launcher" called Steam, right?

• Toucan
Reactions: sk2k and Ge0force

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
"Social functions" likely means EOS. No clue why CA is struggling with that as every game the past several years has (sadly) included them. The EGS version was already going to sell a minuscule amount and waiting several months is just throwing money away. At least they'll have it at the ready when it's given away for free in a few years.

• Toucan

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
For some reason I thought that Total War message was about Epic asking Creative Assembly to work on EGS features. Because... Why not?

That's really weird. Other Total War games have EOS in them, so I'm not sure what's stopping Creative Assembly here. Were they not going to use EOS and Epic told them no when they found out?

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I'm starting to feel if AW2 bombs we actually will never see the other future Epic Publishing games
The EGS looks more and more like a fleeting dream

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Epic is suppose to roll out community game hubs, profiles, and other social features. It only took them almost 5 years to essentially ctrl+c and ctrl+v Steam's existing social features, but here we are. Do not be surprised if suddenly Epic's social features are totally great and innovative according to the usual folks.

My guess is all of this is getting loaded into Epic's existing EOS SDK and will require devs to support more EGS features to match parity to Steam, but that tie-in will result in one-offs like this where publishers and developers are going to have to put in more work to support it. And I am also guessing Epic is probably leading the push for some upcoming games to add these as part of their initial batch of games with these new features.