News Epic Games Store

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
At least this is a good hint towards the scale of these deals.

Also this would have been the first Japanese game we know of right? Shenmue doesn't really count imho as the publisher is wholly western based.
I think a lot of Japanese publishers are still trying to curry favour with the enthusiast audience on PC, those who are probably most off put by EGS exclusives. Most of them have Western offices or affiliates, and most of those offices are almost certainly feeding back that Epic is a pariah amongst the very people who will be buying their games. And while this may be a bit of bias on my part, as Japanese games are my primary interest, I think JP publishers trade on the cachet of their corporate brand more than Western publishers do.

Plus it's the whole prioritising the domestic market first situation. If EGS is unattractive to Western gamers, it's wholly unattractive to the unique quirks of Japanese gamers. Valve has put a lot of work into understanding the Japanese market, building relationships with developers and slowly establishing itself as a presence in the market. PC gaming may be small in Japan, but it's clearly an emerging presence, and all of that is down to Valve putting in the work.

So imagine a Japanese publisher telling their domestic customers that they can't use pre-paid cards to buy their games on PC because it's on EGS and Epic's minuscule cut prevents them from doing pre-paid cards sold at Yodobashi Camera or whatever.

I guess if they only saw PC as a Western-only thing, and didn't really understand the market, and Epic came to them with a giant wad of cash they'd possibly do it. But it's clear to everyone that PC is a potential growth area in Japan, so the needs of that market will always dictate where games get released. At this point doing an EGS exclusive in Japan is akin to releasing your console game exclusively on Xbox.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I think a lot of Japanese publishers are still trying to curry favour with the enthusiast audience on PC, those who are probably most off put by EGS exclusives. Most of them have Western offices or affiliates, and most of those offices are almost certainly feeding back that Epic is a pariah amongst the very people who will be buying their games. And while this may be a bit of bias on my part, as Japanese games are my primary interest, I think JP publishers trade on the cachet of their corporate brand more than Western publishers do.

Plus it's the whole prioritising the domestic market first situation. If EGS is unattractive to Western gamers, it's wholly unattractive to the unique quirks of Japanese gamers. Valve has put a lot of work into understanding the Japanese market, building relationships with developers and slowly establishing itself as a presence in the market. PC gaming may be small in Japan, but it's clearly an emerging presence, and all of that is down to Valve putting in the work.

So imagine a Japanese publisher telling their domestic customers that they can't use pre-paid cards to buy their games on PC because it's on EGS and Epic's minuscule cut prevents them from doing pre-paid cards sold at Yodobashi Camera or whatever.

I guess if they only saw PC as a Western-only thing, and didn't really understand the market, and Epic came to them with a giant wad of cash they'd possibly do it. But it's clear to everyone that PC is a potential growth area in Japan, so the needs of that market will always dictate where games get released. At this point doing an EGS exclusive in Japan is akin to releasing your console game exclusively on Xbox.
Huge thing to note. Valve stated prepaid cards are the most popular payment method on Steam in Asia. (I think 80% of purchases?). Epic doesn't have that, and thats going to be a major turn off for Japanese devs going for a worldwide release.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

Interesting.
It looks like Epic has been contacting almost every developer who is working on a promising game or had a successful game in the past to make more exclusivity deals. I guess they are really trying to bleed Steam dry from interesting games. Glad to see that this isn't happening (yet).

Also my compliments to this journalist for making sense and criticizing Epic for their exclusivity deals:

Let’s Talk About the Epic Games Store

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
And how are they going to gather feedback on a platform without any kind of community features?
Reminds me of the bullshit Hades Devs tried to pull " EGS is ideal to build this game along with our community"
Mind you, the entirety of their communication and feedback was through... Discord...
You know , the platform that had a storefront at that time?

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
It looks like Epic has been contacting almost every developer who is working on a promising game or had a successful game in the past to make more exclusivity deals. I guess they are really trying to bleed Steam dry from interesting games. Glad to see that this isn't happening (yet).

Also my compliments to this journalist for making sense and criticizing Epic for their exclusivity deals:

Seems more like they’re targeting Japanese games running on UE4. (Shenmue 3 and Samurai Showdown both use it)

Who wants to bet they tried getting Code Vein?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Reminds me of the bullshit Hades Devs tried to pull " EGS is ideal to build this game along with our community"
Mind you, the entirety of their communication and feedback was through... Discord...
You know , the platform that had a storefront at that time?
To be honest, early access for Hades is just Supergiant's excuse to take Epic's money and give them their 1 year of exclusivity while they develop the game. The other option is take the money, spend it on development, then be shacked to EGS for 1 year after 1.0 comes out.

They have literally no interest in listening to their community regarding the game's Early Access, short of retweeting compliments and accolades on Twitter.

I actually have to give them credit, they've gamed Epic's moneyhat pretty well.

Reactions: Chudah

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019

Epic are too late to the party. I personally have about 150 games on my Steam wishlist which i havent bought yet due to the backlog of games I already own. If Epic secured all PC games for the next few years I think ill still have enough interesting games to play to ride out any exclusivity periods.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Epic are too late to the party. I personally have about 150 games on my Steam wishlist which i havent bought yet due to the backlog of games I already own. If Epic secured all PC games for the next few years I think ill still have enough interesting games to play to ride out any exclusivity periods.
Epic showed Ubi that they are able to exist on their own.
They are also teaching us gamers that we don't need to buy everything at once or even half of the stuff that interest us at all, even big releases.

Tim is a master tactician.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Just want to say I'm so happy to have somewhere to talk about this and not feel like I'm constantly being attacked because I'm not accepting a corporate mouthpiece's word at face value. It almost seems like having conviction and principals these days is looked down up, and it drives me nuts.
yeah, no kidding .... apparently you're a "steam stan" if you happen to have a spine and aren't willing to bow down to a pile of money

oh, and i'll just leave this here as well:

SteveWinwood said:
antagonism, uncertainty, and paranoia between every fan base and every indie dev sure seems great thanks epic for saving pc gaming

the amount of people i see talking about pirating games is astonishing after practically not seeing it for years

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Lol prepaid card. I still remember the tweet from Valve person who said that most of the transactions are using non credit card method and make people said that it was a bullshit without even knowing that Asian method of payment is quite different than western country. In my country, most people still think that credit card is not necessary. They prefer bank transfer or prepaid card or pay on local minimarket.

PC is quite big in Asia (except Japan of course). Heck, people here often see console as luxury item.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Same here. I've been "hamstering" games on Steam and GoG and I have plenty now to play for the next two years. I also have over a 150 games on my wishlist. And if everything goes right, I will also own a (used) Switch next week.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I know a lot of PC gamers don’t mind using different launchers and storefronts but I also don’t understand why it should be considered such a crime to only want to use Steam. People keep fixating on monopolies as the main problem of capitalism, which is true, but that leads them to overlook another, which is oversaturation and a lack of standards - such as when you go to the store, need to buy toothpaste, and discover an entire aisle is taken up of forty different brands and models that all do the same thing. No movie collector complains that Movies Anywhere is monopolistic (though it is owned by Disney, which is for other reasons.) Nobody complains that Xbox Live has a monopoly on Xboxes. Universal, agreed-upon standards are a good thing that let us use them as a springboard to actually get places, and I’m definitely way less inclined to buy a game if it’s exclusively on Origin or Battle.net because keeping a memorized spreadsheet of which program I need to launch which game is a headache I shouldn’t have to deal with.
One of the axioms of capitalism is that the consumer is king, and therefore can decide where to shop according to their preferences. It seems the gaming industry wants us to believe that's not true, and that our preferences and choices don't matter, by guilt tripping customers into disregarding their own needs and benefits for the sake of those poor starving devs.

I guess this is the paradox of capitalism: the wilder it becomes, the more it contradicts itself.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
He'll just say that Valve only gives you $5. $10 > $5
I just find it interesting how some devs are totally happy about this while others are pulling their games from the store because they do not want their games devalued without their consent. I mean, I get it, developers aren't this monolithic hive mind. But you'd think some of them would be more worried about the perception of their game being worth less than it is because of discounts like these.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
One of the axioms of capitalism is that the consumer is king, and therefore can decide where to shop according to their preferences. It seems the gaming industry wants us to believe that's not true, and that our preferences and choices don't matter, by guilt tripping customers into disregarding their own needs and benefits for the sake of those poor starving devs.

I guess this is the paradox of capitalism: the wilder it becomes, the more it contradicts itself.
The entertainment industry is the only industry this shit happens in. I said it before and im saying it again. People forget developers are corporations and games are products.

Like why should I give a single fuck about corporations who make shitty deals that not only make their products more expensive, but result in me receiving an inferior version of said product? This shit wouldnt fly in literally any other industry.

I’m not made of money, I’m buying a product not donating to a charity. Why should I care if these devs get more money, when by taking these deals they prove they dont care about me as a consumer at all?

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
My personal favorite argument was the one that we need Epic because even though Steam is good now it might go bad.
I call it the Mass Effect 3 defense (end spoilers ahead): we'll murder your whole species now to prevent it from being murdered later.

It's as much bullshit now as it was in ME3's ending.

Reactions: m_dorian and Arsene

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
The Way out was so disappointing.
I really wanted to play this game when it first came to light, but friend reviews have kept me from buying it on a non-preferred launcher. I would bite with a deep discount on Steam, but then again... playing with another person... and I quote myself, "I GOT A KID THAT DON'T LET ME TAKE A SH*T IN PEACE, much less play a video game with another person."
the one good thing about this is that it shows peoples true colors, publishers, devs, and forums alike.
Truth. But, I believe FunktionJCB said something powerful, and I don't feel he is dictating; however, who is still going to buy once it comes to Steam? BL3? I'm out. Mosaic? I'm out. Shen3, I'm 50% out (at least I'm being honest). I will never give Raw Fury a cent. What they did on Twitter is some of the worst fan/consumer bashing I have ever seen. No, I won't judge you for supporting them; this isn't Era! (Sorry!) However, I draw the line at making fun of the people that made you.

Last edited:
Reactions: LEANIJA and Chudah

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
Well shit, I wasn't going to buy Samurai Shodown but they just got a sale.
You gotdang right they got my money.

What will be really interesting is post-moneyhatgate. I could see some devs/pubs be alright, especially those that kept their mouth shut or were honest about the issue: money. But those that lied and treated the gamer/consumer as trash, I hope we show them we do not forget. Example: Raw Fury. I REALLY hope we hear from pubs/devs how their sales really were on EGS. (I doubt we ever know... but its real telling right now.)

Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
We've talked about it before, and it's true.

Compared to other industries, video games consistently get away with murder that other industries dream of. The only industry that maybe gets even close are a few of the hardware brands that have loyalists (i.e. Apple or Samsung).
Kpop industry is guilty of this stuff too. Capitalism is wild

Reactions: lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

"We wouldn't want to divide a multi-store PC games's community by store, or divide a multi-platform PC exclusive's community by platform. The community for a game should stay together, regardless of where people bought it."

So in other words:
PC gamers and games need to be united, but Epic needs to divide the market because I want more money. Fuck Steam and Steam costumers.
~Tim Hypocrite Sweeney