News Epic Games Store

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Don't reward them. Just don't. Don't buy their game on Steam when it comes out. There's plenty of other games to play, and no doubt at some point in the future their game will be in a Humble Bundle or something where you can reduce their cut to $0.00, or at the very least know they're getting peanuts from the sale.

It's imperative that Epic does not get a stranglehold on the industry over this. When you think about how indie and AA gems are discovered on Steam, and how those games became huge on console 6-18 months later, what Epic is doing makes a lot more sense.

Imagine if Epic, the way they're acting now, had the influence that Steam does. Do you think they'd be good stewards of that? Fuck no!

If Epic had Valve's marketshare, and had a monopoly on new ideas that are allowed to flourish, first of all the market would stagnate and a ton of indies would never make it. Games like Undertale and Stardew Valley would probably die on the vine of "crappy games" before they'd even had a chance. And that's purely down to Epic being a shitty curator. Because most curators fucking suck in one way or another.

Secondly, imagine if they started wielding that influence to push other Epic products and services. Your game uses Unity? Well, off you fuck. Only Unreal Engine games are allowed on Epic Games Store. That may not be financially beneficial to Epic on PC, as they oh so kindly waive their cut on EGS, but when that game inevitably gets ported to console then suddenly the middleware fees kick in, and Epic starts skimming money off of indies on those platforms because they were practically forced to use a certain piece of middleware.

They can't do that right now because Steam would murder them in such a scenario, but if they begin to grind Valve down and EGS becomes a feeder platform into the larger industry, they surely will.

Basically, what Epic has identified is where popular AA and indie games across all platforms stem from. And right now that's predominantly Steam, and almost entirely the PC. If all those games were forced to use Epic middleware then that's a fuckton of cash for them from console sales, certainly enough to secure their future when Fortnite begins to wane.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It's like 'bias' is their word of the week and they get a cookie every time they use it. I'm glad there is someone on the internet willing to lead the way in Logic and Reason and Edgelording.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Only a silver medal?

It's not rocket science, unless you are massive like Cyberpunk, BGIII and Vampire 2 and you aren't offering full exclusivity, people will just buy the game on Steam and making a store page will take up one of the precious two slots they are able to manage per week. It also clutters the single store page and I'm sure the first adopters have some sort of agreement that they won't open the store up and bury them too early on. I'm also sure Epic realise that no one but a small cadre of fools will buy the big three on Epic, it's about the pretense of legitimacy.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Wow, that's comedy gold!

Anyway, Do we know if SkateBirb has any unlockables?
I want a Bird of Prey who dreams of making it big on Broadway but has no money and decides to skate to the Big Apple. They could call it "To NY Hawk"!

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Just wow. I've said this before but anyone that's in anyway defending egs I will assume is a legit aweful person. If at this point you can't see all the shit epic is doing and still bat for them, then you are aweful, if you just want to be a contrarian and bat for epic because that, yeah also makes you aweful, and lastly if your hate for valve makes you side with epic which is so much worse, yeah you're aweful.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Corporate Cuckolds? That's an interesting choice of words from someone staning for one.

TIL that Ben Shapiro is secretly Timmy Boy's fan. He destroyed us with facts and logic.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
seems like we have a badass over here, always great start to a day , when called anti-epic idiot
"We wont exclusivity". Did he accidentally the whole sentence?
I replied to that unhinged loon and he added me to a bunch of lists.

This is clearly the work of a sane-minded and not at all maladjusted individual.
He even subtweeted you

This guys ego is so goddamn inflated that he thinks theres no way he can be wrong. Galaxy brain level delusion. Irony need not apply.
Wonder how long until he moves to the Outside of the Asylum and demands we start calling him Wonko the Sane.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think some other Epic stans should look at this melt and learn from him, because they don’t look much better. They glean it with a veneer of respectability, but the core argument they’re making is intellectually hollow.

At any rate, someone else on Twitter stated that simply blocking them removes you from their harassment lists. Best way to go.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
I still don’t understand how it makes you a corporate shill to prefer the storefront run by a billionaire worth half as much as the other billionaire.

Like, I’m a communist, but I also recognize we live in a capitalist system and we have to deal with that reality, so throwing your support behind the store with .01% of the games and a quarter of the features at best run by a CEO worth twice as much in a company that infamously treats their workers like garbage doesn’t seem like the most anti capitalist move to me?

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I have a somewhat different perspective that I've talked about before. The more I see of those idiots coming out of the woodwork to shill for Epic the more I become convinced that Epic's plan isn't working. Shills, press articles, interviews, tweetstorms etc are for me clear indications that no one is actually buying their "we do this for the good of all developers" bullcrap.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I have a somewhat different perspective that I've talked about before. The more I see of those idiots coming out of the woodwork to shill for Epic the more I become convinced that Epic's plan isn't working. Shills, press articles, interviews, tweetstorms etc are for me clear indications that no one is actually buying their "we do this for the good of all developers" bullcrap.
Later this year, when Epic opens up their store for all developers, we will see if their strategy works. I'm curious how many devs will go EGS exclusive without Epic moneyhatting them. And if they don't do exclusivity, let's see how many people will buy their game on EGS.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
There's a defense force for everything I guess. I used to have pointless discussions with UWP defenders as well, these people are just brainwashed.
I'm not sure it's brainwashing. As you said, there is a certain percentage of people that believe in something, beyond all logic or reason. It seems to be a "probability" thing. Even if it's a small percentage like 0.01% means that 750.000 of 7.5 billion people believe in something stupid. Maybe there is an evolutionary need for a small part of society to question established knowledge? Maybe it's some kind of "fail safe"?

Anyway, social media allows those people to find each other, communicate with each other and to create information bubbles for each other.
Let's take "flat earth" believers as an example. I'm pretty sure it's not a new phenomenon. But those 0.01% had trouble to voice their "idea" in the past, because social resistance was too high around them. Now they can find each other and form a choir that is making noise. A noise that is shocking to the rest of us.

Maybe it's kind of similar with EGS defenders? Add trolls and PC "haters" to the mix and you got perceptible pro EGS noise levels on the internet.

The question I'm asking myself: Is it better to try and educate, argue with them? Or is it better to ignore them?
To this day, I've not come to a good conclusion for myself.

I also started doubting myself tbh. What if there is something I'm sure about, that is 100% wrong? Would I be able to see reason?
I really hope so, but than... I'm just human, like everybody else. I'm sometimes a stubborn idiot.
This year I meet a medical doctor, not believing in electrons, electric charge, current etc. does not exist according to him. It's "something else", something that yet has to be discovered.
Dude blew my mind, he is a studied, intelligent man. And still there seem to be people, not believing in electricity. Or at least in how we think "electricity" works.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Later this year, when Epic opens up their store for all developers, we will see if their strategy works. I'm curious how many devs will go EGS exclusive without Epic moneyhatting them. And if they don't do exclusivity, let's see how many people will buy their game on EGS.
Are they actually doing this?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
EGS exclusive without Epic moneyhatting them
None.

As I tried to show on the last page, you're loosing a huge amount of money even if just 20% of people ignore your product because of their antipathy against the EGS.

If you only reach 1.600.000 costumers on the EGS instead of 2.000.000 on Steam, GoG and the rest you'll only make ~$85 million instead of ~$93 million on a $59.99 game (after cuts).

You'll break even if ~13% ignore your product.

Just 10% "ignorance rate" and you'll make a plus of ~$2.5 million on the EGS.

(Numbers could be wrong, as said I'm not putting much effort into this)

So the question is: How many people are ignoring your game because you went EGS exclusive? Is it worth to take the risk?
There is no data we can work with here and there probably never will, The "ignorance rate" (I don't know the correct technical term, sorry) is the big question. But I doubt devs/publishers are willing to take the risk without the epic money saving net.

Also: Should we protest if a dev/publisher go EGS exclusive without any kind of "bribing? Is it still a third party exclusive?

Reactions: Ge0force

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Unfortunately for Epic, most of its fanatical supporters usually start their arguments with "I don't play on PC but". This doesn't bode well for Epic's hopes of attracting a game-buying audience.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
well that's what they said when they launched it ... but something tells me that's not going to happen this soon
Probably not. The fact that Epic is now giving away two games every week, indicates that a surprisingly amount of popular devs is interested in their exclusivity deals. In believe that this - in combination with the better than expected sales of WWZ and Satisfactory - resulted in a change of plans for Epic.

Reactions: lashman

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I mean they've said publicly that they don't intend to have an unlimited amount of devs / publishers on the EGS store, saying they'd probably stop when it hit a certain number (I think that interview was 1,500? Don't remember) so that certainly suggests they'll be curating all the way down.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Alright, it's August. Let's take a look at epic's roadmap, shall we?

Here's what they planned for July (screenshot courtesy of Hektor ):

This is what they accomplished:

(Although Cloud Saves are to my knowledge a V1 implementation that is not available for every game and needs to be set up by the store team manually per game).

Everything else is now August

(I assume Store Video Hosting should also say August).

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Alright, it's August. Let's take a look at epic's roadmap, shall we?

Here's what they planned for July (screenshot courtesy of Hektor ):

This is what they accomplished:

(Although Cloud Saves are to my knowledge a V1 implementation that is not available for every game and needs to be set up by the store team manually per game).

Everything else is now August

(I assume Store Video Hosting should also say August).
They put cloud saves in 2 games so people wouldnt make fun of them for missing another deadline.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
So, what does "Ubisoft titles require large installs" even mean?

EGS can't allocate large enough space on harddrives?
EGS can't handle to transfer enough data to the user?
An condemnation of how disk install sizes has runaway too far?
If I had to guess, I'd say it downloads the installer, installs the game and finally deletes the installer. Between steps 1 and 3, the game takes double the space on the user's HDD, which for big games can be a lot.

Steam is different. From what I understand, it downloads the files in their final form (which is why big games often take a long time to allocate their space before starting to download), only installing the required libraries and stuff. That way it avoids taking the space twice.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Pretty sure Steam download size is often less than install size so some kind of decompression does occur. Also when you preload and unlock games sometimes it does require double the capacity for that process. I had trouble installing some game on SSD because of it iirc. Maybe it varies per game.

Reactions: ISee

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Just snagged the free games. Still haven't downloaded the launcher on my PC. At this rate, it'll be 2021 and I'll remember I have like 30 games on my Epic account....

Yes I'm downloading Alan Wake for next week, bc... It'll look better than the 360 version I played like eight years ago.