News Epic Games Store

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Talking about EGS and the media, I still believe that once Epic launches their influencer program some of their shills in the media will feel alienated and start throwing some more-or-less negative pieces about EGS. Nonetheless, November and December should be interesting months regarding this.
Isnt the influencer program already a thing? There are so many wannabe streamers with 100~ followers (and 0 charisma) shilling epic and egs on twitter non stop. A lot of them put their creator code in their name.

Reactions: m_dorian and ISee

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Isnt the influencer program already a thing? There are so many wannabe streamers with 100~ followers (and 0 charisma) shilling epic and egs on twitter non stop. A lot of them put their creator code in their name.
Apparently yes, I had no idea about it. It's basically the same program they had for Fortnite.

And yet it's not really came to much far as I can tell?
I mean, it might work for Fortnite people, but according to their FAQ:

Please expect modest results. The amount you earn scales with the number of players who choose to support you. A Fortnite example: If your in-game Supporters spend 50,000 V-Bucks in-game, then you would earn $25 USD. An Epic Store example: if your Supporters who follow your links or enter your Creator tag on checkout purchase $100 of games, you’ll earn $5 at the basic rate.
I mean, I'm sorry but even people defending EGS usually say 'yeah I bought x game in the MegaSale and EGS works to launch that so it's doing its job just another launcher haha', I have yet to see someone flexing that they have the entire Epic library. Being real, ain't nobody buying $100s of games every week, so most people probably figured that ain't worth their time. As Ryna said that some low level streamers are shilling hard, maybe this worked to some extent back during the Mega Sale with people changing regions and buying every pre-order game for cheap? No idea, but it's a possibility.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
And yet it's not really came to much far as I can tell?
yeah, don't think so ... it's more annoying than anything else, i think

haven't really seen anyone shilling those games either (even if epic are paying the "shilling fee" themselves for the first year)

but then again - i haven't really been looking that hard ... but i don't think many are biting

certainly not any of the big ones (5%, or whatever the shilling split is, is peanuts to them)

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Wikipedia says over a 4000 people refunded MW5 already. I find this hard to believe, but it would be awesome if true!

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Wikipedia says over a 4000 people refunded MW5 already. I find this hard to believe, but it would be awesome if true!
Do not trust anything in wikipedia without source.

An Epic Store example: if your Supporters who follow your links or enter your Creator tag on checkout purchase $100 of games, you’ll earn $5 at the basic rate.
checkout purchase $100 of games
Even Epic forgot they don't have cart to allow purchase multiple games, probably because of how basic feature this is...

:p

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Wikipedia is more for getting as general information about something as possible and shouldn't be seen as exact source for something unless it has citations for said information.
I think the figure is from Discord community manager? I remember the number (and corresponding screenshot) being mentioned in youtube criticism video by SidAlpha.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Does anyone know how many entries the leaderboards for Tetris Effect have on EGS? If so, this may give us an indication how EGS exclusives are selling...

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
EGS hates influencers confirmed. I usually add Phawx's tag when picking up something for free, but I couldn't do it last time. Damn shame.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I looked through a different leaderboard for a mode more people are playing, see edited post.
Well, 10-20k after a week on sale isn't that great either, but it's definitely better than sub 5k I expected before you edited your post :)

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Well, 10-20k after a week on sale isn't that great either, but it's definitely better than sub 5k I expected before you edited your post :)
Yeah, it takes a while for the board to load up on my utterly shite internet, sorry about that.

Both numbers are pretty interesting though. Less than a fifth of players bothered with the first "online event" that you can't really miss unless you ignore the non-Journey modes that take up a huge chunk of the game. So either they dropped the game pretty quickly, or only play Journey mode.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
... but on PS4 at least, it's the event modes that kept me coming back and firing the game up each weekend when i hadn't touched it all week due to getting frustrated by Journey Mode. I assume EGS connects to the same Event servers as the PS4?

Maybe if the game has only been out a week maybe people are still Journeying? I know i joined Events on the first weekend for the sweet avatars.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
If people start digging too much, I'm thinking the Tetris Effect leaderboards will suddenly become limited to the top 1000 entries :p

Also, I was trying to find out when Epic started to support my local currency here in Brazil (I think it was this week), and found that PCGamer has a article about.... EGS Patch notes? The Epic Games Store patch notes for July 2019

I mean.. I know I shouldn't be surprised but.... how much more obvious can their bias be?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
If people start digging too much, I'm thinking the Tetris Effect leaderboards will suddenly become limited to the top 1000 entries :p

Also, I was trying to find out when Epic started to support my local currency here in Brazil (I think it was this week), and found that PCGamer has a article about.... EGS Patch notes? The Epic Games Store patch notes for July 2019

I mean.. I know I shouldn't be surprised but.... how much more obvious can their bias be?
If you look at other posts by that author... well... just look.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
every time Fortnite gets a new skin?
i mean - pretty much everyone does ... it's not exactly out of ordinary tbh

fortnite is still huge, so everyone writes about every little thing that happens with the game - for clicks

and i can only assume it works because they keep doing it

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
and i can only assume it works because they keep doing it
Fortnite is understandable. Any fluff piece like "the sky a now a slightly different color" will generate traffic. But an article titled "Patch Notes" with some generic text and incredible items like "Resolved an issue that prevented some users from completing launcher updates." and "Improved web caching behavior" probably won't get a lot of attention. That's just some lazy shilling :p

But on topic, they do seem to be rushing to implement a lot features in time for the Borderlands 3 launch. I imagine it will be the big test for EGS.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
But on topic, they do seem to be rushing to implement a lot features in time for the Borderlands 3 launch. I imagine it will be the big test for EGS.
i have absolutely zero doubt it'll sell AT LEAST 1 million copies on egs ... sadly

Reactions: Ge0force

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
i have absolutely zero doubt it'll sell AT LEAST 1 million copies on egs ... sadly
Without a doubt. But I think 1 million would actually be bad for BL3 on PC given the success of the previous one. Not that this will stop all the PR gloating of course.

I will just be in my corner secretly rooting for their store backend (with all these rushed additions) to crash with the load increase. (Yeah.. I know it's petty :p)

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Without a doubt. But I think 1 million would actually be bad for BL3 on PC given the success of the previous one. Not that this will stop all the PR gloating of course.

I will just be in my corner secretly rooting for their store backend (with all these rushed additions) to crash with the load increase. (Yeah.. I know it's petty :p)
I can already see: Borderlands 3 sold 2.5 times more copies on launch than Borderlands 2 on PC thanks to Epic Games Store.

Reactions: Ge0force

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Yeah, it is the one game I can see actually breaking 1 million copies there.
On the other hand, since its exclusivity period is half of all the other gamesi, I can see it having a limited effect. It will have frontloaded sales but anybody not picking it up in like the first two weeks after release will probably just wait for the Steam release instead.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
If games sold better on Epic over Steam, we'd know about it. Everyone would know about it, Timmy and Sergy would be tweeting non stop about it. PCgamer and the like would have articles every day about the extraordinary success of genre-defining games like Closer to the Sun (Remember that one? Lol, no one does) and Ashen.

The funny thing is morons like this guy really think the fact that Epic are massively subsidising games is the new normal Eating every sale from their we will never have sales sale, spamming massive streaming campaigns for only a select few games will happen for everyone from now on etc... Yet to see any evidence that WWZ sold anymore than it would have on steam, it sold about 1/3rd PC and 1/3 each on the consoles, like most co-op multiplayer games do nowadays. What a success! Outside of Satisfactory's doubtful claims, no other Epic sell out has said a thing, the silence is deafening.

The only way this game sells a million copies is if Timmy buys them all. They poisoned the well with MWO and have now drained the rest with their blatant epic lies.
Borderlands 3 will be a real test.
Fortnite is understandable. Any fluff piece like "the sky a now a slightly different color" will generate traffic. But an article titled "Patch Notes" with some generic text and incredible items like "Resolved an issue that prevented some users from completing launcher updates." and "Improved web caching behavior" probably won't get a lot of attention. That's just some lazy shilling :p

Whoops. Beaten over the weekend, lol.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I had another lengthy discussion about EGS with the Rebel Galaxy devs today. I strongly disagree with their opinion that Epic's moneyhats are the only way to make their store popular, and even more with their opinion that Valve did the same with HL2.

This said, they keep repeating that they are doing it to push Valve into lowering their cut. They even believe that 12% is perfectly possible for Steam, even with key reselling. I'm not sure if they are being honest here.

I will obviously not buy Rebel Galaxy Outlaws, and I think it's a bit sad to brag about "we're fighting for a lower cut for indies" when they've signed a contract with Epic that offers them a minimum revenue guarantee.

Edit: the devs just admitted they only did it for the money. Who could have thought?

Also, it seems Epic's free games is working out for them:

Last edited:

Maniac

As the name suggests. The OG Maniac.
Sep 19, 2018
Under your bed, creepin
metacouncil.com
I had another lengthy discussion about EGS with the Rebel Galaxy devs today. I strongly disagree with their opinion that Epic's moneyhats are the only way to make their store popular, and even more with their opinion that Valve did the same with HL2.

This said, they keep repeating that they are doing it to push Valve into lowering their cut. They even believe that 12% is perfectly possible for Steam, even with key reselling. I'm not sure if they are being honest here.

I will obviously not buy Rebel Galaxy Outlaws, and I think it's a bit sad to brag about "we're fighting for a lower cut for indies" when they've signed a contract with Epic that offers them a minimum revenue guarantee.
Then they're bad devs, despite their pedigree. They evidently don't know the costs of Steam nor the innerworkings of the platform, the backend, SteamWorks or their bizdev.

You should link the Bizdev conference Tom G from Valve hosted.

(Notable parts include their gargantuan growth in the CIS & Asia, both of which almost* exclusively use payment methods that charge 18% or more. In the case of Asia, it's notable that less than a quarter of payments are even done through traditional payment methods, but through SteamBanks (yes this is a thing in Asia; ATMs that support converting your cash to SteamWallet monies) and SteamWallet Cards.)

*They're so predominant that "traditional" payment methods are statistically irrelevant.

All of these payment methods are impossible to do at a 12% cut, and most aren't going to be supported by EGS. The ones that are (like, one or two?) push the costs onto consumers.

The TL;DR for the dumbo dev is that over a third of the most active consumers on the PC platform wont touch EGS as they're not able to buy the sodding games

(SteamWallet Cards cost ~26% of each unit it's used for)

Mind you, I've already spoken with 'em on Twitter. They've got a hard on for the cut, and little actual knowledge of Steams dev-facing backend (despite... Using it for their last game, surely?) and NO clue of the cut.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Edit: the devs just admitted they only did it for the money. Who could have thought?

Also, it seems Epic's free games is working out for them:

Oh yeah, them. I did have a lengthy discussion with them at various times and I ended up facing the fact that they are quite hypocritical, taking grand stances only when it suits them. For instance, one of the devs made a point of making sure people knew he cared about giving them value for their hard-earned money, having been raised in the eastern block and all. Took shots at Star Citizen for their crowdfunding model.

Epic Store though? All good! They are canaries in the coalmine, the brave indies putting themselves on the line to... Take that bag of cash from Epic while forcing that abortion of a store and a business strategy on an open platform.