News Epic Games Store

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I mean, yes that blog post was stupid, but things have just escalated beyond anything I could have imagined in less than a day.
Jeeeesus.
And now not only shouldn't we complain, but the guy from Kotaku who claims to stand up for decent business practices and is apparently for wealth redistribution (?) thinks we shouldn't refer to ourselves as customers in a market transaction and that we're toxic.

Well congrats to Tim for up-ending the pc gaming world in 6 months, just, you know, failing in your stated goal of overthrowing Valve

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I mean the PS4 had no games for almost three years and people still bought it lol
Just like the PS3 lol. Don't get it twisted, I love my PS3 and PS4 but good luck to early adopters of the PS5!

And "I'd be fine without a friends list on the PS5" lol

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
But according to Jason Schreirer who side with gaming industry it's not good for people to just consume. I've got mixed signal from him.
Ah, I see the confusion so let me clear it right up. Being a consumer is good when you sit quiet and buy the things that the industry wants to peddle. Being a consumer is bad when you band together with other consumers to complain about something or defend your interests. It's basically the same rules as being a fan of something. Gush about everything relating to your fandom and feed the hype machine: True fan. Complain about something, however minor: Toxic manbaby.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Thank you all for your kind replies. This is such a wonderful community! 😍

I have bought like 500 indiegames day1 throughout the last years, but seeing the constant toxicity and entitlement by developers recently just makes me wanna use the ytorrent launcher going forward.

Like I'm just so over it.
That's where I am as well now. I have no idea which devs and publishers I still want to support right now. I even canceled my Humble Monthly subscription last night. I'm seriously considering to stop buying games until this whole shit show is over. Perhaps then it becomes clear which devs and publishers are still supporting healthy competition on pc by launching their games on as many stores as possible.

I'm coming from the perspective of someone who nearly died of a heart attack a few months ago so I couldn't give a less of a fuck about videogames in comparison.
I'm really sorry you had to go through this. I'm glad you're still with us m8!

I understand why you are getting upset but don't be. Spend your time enjoying your hobby more and concern less about some arsehole or two that can not figure out basic things.
That's my plan! But to achieve this, I need to find a way to block the shilling for Epic because for some reason it keeps pissing me off. I've left Era, I've stopped visiting sites like pc gamer and RPS. But there's still too much shit on my screen that I don't want to see anymore. I wish uBlock Origin had a filter to block all the pro-EGS nonsense on the net. :)

I just wonder what developers who "need" the Epic money to get their games finished at all will do when the money fountain runs dry. Maybe try to develop better relations with the guys who normally pay for your work? You know, the customers you call toxic 'n stuff?
That's the saddest thing of all of this: that Ooblets game is gonna sell gangbusters. Which will lead to even more EGS shilling and more exclusivity deals. 😑

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Yeah, EGS deals wouldnt be possible without said billions.

Just take the L, breh.
Generalizing a few chosen lucky sobs that get to behave arrogant as fuck over winning the limited edition Fortnite lottery (which most certainly doesn't guarantee their future in the industry, it just postpones the inevitable if that's all they have going for them, they still need to make successful games rather than consider Tim paying them once to further his own goals all the success they'll ever need and have the games remain unplayed while bad mouthing their actual potential customers, as Hades and Ashen and others) as EGS/Epic bringing some brand new business paradigm shift that "gives more developers stability" is dumb. They keep repeating this but what about all the indies Tim doesn't care about? Like, 99% of them then? Oh right, they can go to that shitty Steam platform we're working with Tim to dismantle and make it appear as if they're just the shitty games/gamers place, whatever, who cares, more money please.

The pro indie paradigm shift happened when Steam with all its industry prowess stopped being a closed platform and also didn't relegate indies separately. Epic is actively working against that and against indies as a whole no matter how many win the Fortnite lottery or how many suck up to them hoping for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexandros

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
Generalizing a few chosen lucky sobs that got to win the Fortnite lottery as EGS/Epic/Whoever being a new business paradigm that "gives more developers stability" is dumb. They keep repeating this but what about all the indies Tim doesn't care about? Like, 99% of them then? Oh right, they can go to that shitty Steam platform we're working with Tim to dismantle and make it appear as if they're just the shitty games place, whatever, who cares, more money please.
I really wonder how resentful the devs are who don't win the Fortnite lottery. I mean, are they super happy for their fellow devs, or are they just bristling with jealousy beneath the surface? I'm willing the bet the ones who don't make the cut aren't exactly happy with what's going on right now.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That's my plan! But to achieve this, I need to find a way to block the shilling for Epic because for some reason it keeps pissing me off. I've left Era, I've stopped visiting sites like pc gamer and RPS. But there's still too much shit on my screen that I don't want to see anymore. I wish uBlock Origin had a filter to block all the pro-EGS nonsense on the net. :)
you can at least put this thread on ignore - i imagine it'll help :)

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Yeah, EGS deals wouldnt be possible without said billions.

Just take the L, breh.
I think the litmus test for these conversations is that whenever someone utters "Steam's Monopoly", you can rest assured that they are either full of shit or aren't serious about the issue.

I believe, the former on Schreier's case. I think he's playing the popularity contest game with his inner circle of dev friends or contacts, but it doesn't make him look any less of a hypocrite.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I think the litmus test for these conversations is that whenever someone utters "Steam's Monopoly", you can rest assured that they are either full of shit or aren't serious about the issue.

I believe, the former on Schreier's case. I think he's playing the popularity contest game with his inner circle of dev friends or contacts, but it doesn't make him look any less of a hypocrite.
Jason himself has said that he 'doesn't get it'. Which is fine, but y'know, maybe don't voice your opinion on stuff you don't understand.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Why does it have to be brand loyalty to Valve? What if I'm sucking off GOG over here?
That person most likely doesn't know about GOG. That whole post scream "Fortnite player who doesn't has Steam installed" like what Epic claim.

If yall want to see some takes.

Reactions: m_dorian

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
Can you explain what's wrong with that tweet? I don't quite up to date with internet meme.
Reeee is a 4chan meme that was created as a slur against people on the autism spectrum. Apparently when the dev was told about this he doubled down on his usage of it saying mobs of haters were just looking for something to be outraged over.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Saw this mentioned on era. Their twitter likes:

Stay classy.
And then she tweets this

It actually feels like she and her husband are two completely different entities, living in two different universes, that are somehow working on the same game and never talk to each other about what the hell they're doing. She's keeping this "look how super nice I am" attitude while the other guy likes 4chan memes and goes around talking shit to people.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
And then she tweets this

It actually feels like she and her husband are two completely different entities, living in two different universes, that are somehow working on the same game and never talk to each other about what the hell they're doing. She's keeping this "look how super nice I am" attitude while the other guy likes 4chan memes and goes around talking shit to people.
Nah, they’re basically the same, and I honestly prefer the husband. At least he’s mask off about the whole thing, but Rebecca believes all the exact same things but wraps it up in some “I don’t get why you’d be so mad (◕‿◕✿) you’re full of shit and you wouldn’t buy it anyways (●´ω`●)” bullshit.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
If that cuntfaced megacunt agrees with that blog post so much, maybe he should put his money where his cunty mouth is and use his billions to fight climate change instead of silly videogame revenueshares.
Unless of course, that cunt is full of shit.
Cunt.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Jason's take on the subject is as always surprisingly narrow. The Epic that gives all this money to developers doesn't exist without a culture of perpetual crunch and treating workers as disposable drones, making up for it with a handful of "amenities" and a comparatively high salary. It's telling that even for Jason, the company's issues are but a sidenote in Epic's larger success story.

A handful of chosen few does not make things better for everyone. This is exactly the foundation of the exploitative conditions in many markets that obfuscate a path to a truly more egalitarian society. Not everyone receives mana from heaven, not everyone can get a share of the pie, and a few token winners don't represent the larger market. Where is the sustainability in this model? How does this ensure stability in a new developer's business plan? It approaches the bootstrap mentality in terms of faulty reasoning.

Where the discussion should be about subsidies, healthy work conditions, job security, unions, and accountability, instead these people keep pointing to bullshit PR. Even people like Jason. Developers obviously aren't raising any questions as much because they too want that money -- understandably. It's true that stability is rare. But this isn't giving stability. It's a duct tape solution by a company that has shown time and again through their actions that their solution to problems is to throw money at them. Incidental cash infusions are not a structural solution. There is a wealth of things to unpack about Epic's strategy, issues with the company, outlook on the market, sustainability, etc. And none of these bloggers have the brains to do anything but regurgitate Epic's talking points. Disheartening. I stopped reading news entirely when it finally dawned on me that these people can barely string a sentence together that isn't a paraphrased press release.

This was made painfully obvious when I did that translation of Galy's podcast and many of these outlets half read it, brainlessly copied the stuff that I wrote, couldn't manage to add a single original thought or interpretation, and managed to misunderstand things written plainly. If I recall correctly, Waypoint was one of the few places to report and contextualize the story well.

I genuinely don't give a hoot if people want to support the Epic store, but at least give a good reason that comes from critical thought rather than copying whatever talking points these companies feed you, which are founded on nothing but hopes, dreams, targets, roadmaps, hollow mission statements and bullet points.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
Jason's comments regarding EGS pretty much highlights how he is the perfect example of a compromised journalist. His inner circle of devs and other contacts ensures that he won't say anything that strains his relationship with them.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Jason's take on the subject is as always surprisingly narrow. The Epic that gives all this money to developers doesn't exist without a culture of perpetual crunch and treating workers as disposable drones, making up for it with a handful of "amenities" and a comparatively high salary. It's telling that even for Jason, the company's issues are but a sidenote in Epic's larger success story.

A handful of chosen few does not make things better for everyone. This is exactly the foundation of the exploitative conditions in many markets that obfuscate a path to a truly more egalitarian society. Not everyone receives mana from heaven, not everyone can get a share of the pie, and a few token winners don't represent the larger market. Where is the sustainability in this model? How does this ensure stability in a new developer's business plan? It approaches the bootstrap mentality in terms of faulty reasoning.

Where the discussion should be about subsidies, healthy work conditions, job security, unions, and accountability, instead these people keep pointing to bullshit PR. Even people like Jason. Developers obviously aren't raising any questions as much because they too want that money -- understandably. It's true that stability is rare. But this isn't giving stability. It's a duct tape solution by a company that has shown time and again through their actions that their solution to problems is to throw money at them. Incidental cash infusions are not a structural solution. There is a wealth of things to unpack about Epic's strategy, issues with the company, outlook on the market, sustainability, etc. And none of these bloggers have the brains to do anything but regurgitate Epic's talking points. Disheartening. I stopped reading news entirely when it finally dawned on me that these people can barely string a sentence together that isn't a paraphrased press release.

This was made painfully obvious when I did that translation of Galy's podcast and many of these outlets half read it, brainlessly copied the stuff that I wrote, couldn't manage to add a single original thought or interpretation, and managed to misunderstand things written plainly. If I recall correctly, IIRC Waypoint was one of the few places to report and contextualize the story well.

I genuinely don't give a hoot if people want to support the Epic store, but at least give a good reason that comes from critical thought rather than copying whatever talking points these companies feed you, which are founded on nothing but hopes, dreams, targets, roadmaps, hollow mission statements and bullet points.
Boy, it's hard not to be amazed at the irony here.

The journalist, if you want to call him that, that prides himself on breaking stories of abuses, of righting the wrongs in the gaming industry, of fighting for justice and giving a voice to those that can't have one... Just treats Epic's abuse like a footnote.

I mean sorry but holy fuck the size of that chip on his shoulder if he's going to betray himself just to either stick to his inner circle's stance or for his hate of PC/Steam/Gamers/Whatever. As much as I dislike the commentary of his pieces on technical matters, he and his team were the best thing to investigative journalist the gaming industry had. A damn shame.

The thing is, the issues with EGS aren't even being discussed in these twitter threads, nor on forums. People talk about the PR, about how developers announce that they are selling out, The people involved in those discussions are dancing around the problem and this acceptance of exclusivity by omission concerns me.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

WELP

Anyway:

I'm done. The guy has proved to be a total jerk beyond any conceivable doubt.
I must be stuck in some kind of bizarro reality. No idea how I've gotten here. Please if somebody from my universe is reading this, I need a ride home.
ASAP.

Tim pays dev, dev defends tim, tim likes devs defence.
Circle-jerking 101.

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Sweeney's tweets make it seem like he doesn't care if anyone wants to buy games from EGS or not. It's like there's something personal between him and Gaben and he just burns money to get revenge.
Yeah, it really does seem personal and petty against steam and Gabe. I wonder if Gabe went against Sweeney in some industry meeting or something behind the scenes? EGS seems like it was rushed to launch but for what deadline i have no idea. I'm just glad Valve are mainly staying out of it and just getting on with stuff leaving Sweeney to vent on twitter. It's a bizarre situation but i imagine this is what it's always been like but now Social Media provides an outlet for what would previously be just snidey emails and whispers behind closed doors.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah, it really does seem personal and petty against steam and Gabe. I wonder if Gabe went against Sweeney in some industry meeting or something behind the scenes? EGS seems like it was rushed to launch but for what deadline i have no idea. I'm just glad Valve are mainly staying out of it and just getting on with stuff leaving Sweeney to vent on twitter. It's a bizarre situation but i imagine this is what it's always been like but now Social Media provides an outlet for what would previously be just snidey emails and whispers behind closed doors.
that's what "competition" under capitalism really looks like .... very healthy