News Epic Games Store

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
The only thing that the Hyper Light Drifter situation shows me, is that Epic enabled Cloud Saves on the game without the developers input.
Yeah, this is the problem imho.
It should be a service that Epic offers and that developers set up and manage in autonomy.
If there's a fuck up, it might be on either end and it should be fixed either by Epic patching their bug, or by the devs asking Epic for support.

What happens here, and very often on EGS apparently, reminds me of web development before widespread CMSs, where you had to contact the webmaster to do some changes on your site.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I just want to comment on something that's been bugging me for a while in this back and forth we have with EGS defenders (whether it's on twitter or era or anywhere really). Usually they'll ask why EGS buying exclusives is bad and we'll respond with a list of ways EGS sucks as a platform.

But...that kind of misses the point to me. The simple act of buying exclusives in the PC space is abhorrent and that alone should be enough reason why the platform shouldn't be supported. It could be the best client in the world and I still wouldn't give them a penny for how they're handling their business. When we lose sight of that and go into its lack of features all that does is give defenders an excuse to post lazy shifting goalposts memes when Epic eventually does add a feature (albeit in a half assed way like cloud saving).
Well said!

The same happened with the Windows Store, when people were mainly complaining about the download issues, while there were also many other issues like the file encryption and ridiculous pricing.

I really hope people won't start supporting EGS as soon as they have a set of basic features.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
But...that kind of misses the point to me. The simple act of buying exclusives in the PC space is abhorrent and that alone should be enough reason why the platform shouldn't be supported.
Unfortunately, the problem is that EGS defenders don't see a big problem in exclusivity deals, a lot of them grew up with consoles and it's just a part of the culture for them, just like paying for online or dedication to system wars. I think what we have to realize is that we wouldn't be able to convert the majority of EGS supporters unless they admit how shitty EGS for the PC gaming really is, in other words, it's futile to expect support from this particular group of people.

Deleted member 113

Ladies and gentlemen, here's an indie developer in 2019:

Yeah, that's the guy who recently released a point & click game (a genre Epic couldn't care less about), Guard Duty, on Steam.
Are these people really so clueless when it comes to interacting with potential customers? Some of them should leave their desks once in a while, and interact, personally, with other people.
Really, I have no words for the lack of common sense on display. Entitled PC kids? :LOL:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

Yeah, that's the guy who recently released a point & click game (a genre Epic couldn't care less about), Guard Duty, on Steam.
Are these people really so clueless when it comes to interacting with potential customers? Some of them should leave their desks once in a while, and interact, personally, with other people.
Really, I have no words for the lack of common sense on display. Entitled PC kids? :LOL:
“Bro wanting to buy games in your own currency is so childish. Grow up and get a job and pay the extra 15-30% you entitled childish gamer baby”

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com

Have we actually seen Epic bite on any of the devs who are clearly baiting for a moneyhat? All I've ever seen are devs who've mentioned that they'd never take a deal end up taking deals cause money > all, and I think Sweeny gets some kind of sick pleasure out of watching these guys eat their own words.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018

Another one bites the ignore list.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018

“PLEASE NOTICE ME, TIM, NOTICE ME!”

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Not that I want people who bought BL3 on the EGS to have a horrible experience, but ....
I actually do want them to have a horrible experience. I know that is petty, but so is Randy, and he deserves a bit of egg on his face.
“Bro wanting to buy games in your own currency is so childish. Grow up and get a job and pay the extra 15-30% you entitled childish gamer baby”

This kills me! :ROFLMAO:

"It's just a launcher! No differences! What a bunch of babies! Shame I can't use this feature though..."

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I actually do want them to have a horrible experience. I know that is petty, but so is Randy, and he deserves a bit of egg on his face.

This kills me! :ROFLMAO:

"It's just a launcher! No differences! What a bunch of babies! Shame I can't use this feature though..."
The louder they get about how EGs is no big deal, the more people will notice that something is wrong with it.
Ask Microsoft how their "Kinect is no big deal" offensive played out. "wait, what is Kinect, why is it no deal, IT DOES WHAT????"

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Holylolers at the HLD cloud save situation. My decision to not give the egs my money is looking good. I mean, I'll take a crippled version of the game for free but epic doesn't deserve getting 12% of a sale for any game they sell. Burn that cash going about this ass backwards Tim!!!

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Holylolers at the HLD cloud save situation. My decision to not give the egs my money is looking good. I mean, I'll take a crippled version of the game for free but epic doesn't deserve getting 12% of a sale for any game they sell. Burn that cash going about this ass backwards Tim!!!
To be fair, HLD's save system makes any cloud saves sytem inoperable. That includes steam. Epic's only sin in this has been promising it without looking into it beforehand.

Everyone fishing for epic moneyhats is a huge fan of steams wishlist feature.
Hah! That is quite true, and the way Epic abuses the competitor's features only speaks to how widely inadequate the legislation and rules surrounding this are.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
To be fair, HLD's save system makes any cloud saves sytem inoperable. That includes steam. Epic's only sin in this has been promising it without looking into it beforehand.

Hah! That is quite true, and the way Epic abuses the competitor's features only speaks to how widely inadequate the legislation and rules surrounding this are.
That may be true, however even without cloud saves on steam it's still in it's proper ecosystem. The lack of everything steam brings to all egs leaves a crippled experience for the user.

And yeah, it seems like everyone forgot how EGS basically bought steam spy to use vavles hard work to poach.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
And yeah, it seems like everyone forgot how EGS basically bought steam spy to use vavles hard work to poach.
I don't think they've forgotten it as much as they ignore it. Acknowledging that Epic has hired someone to basically perform corporate espionage (and yes, that's what I consider Steamspy to be) would lead to a whole host of unsavory accusations, none of which are easily defendable.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
I spoke with that guy when I reviewed Guard Duty, so I'm surprised because he seemed like a fan of Steam features like wishlist or reviews at launch.
Well, he deleted his previous tweet. We had a nice chat to adress flaws and issues in his tweet.

He's not going anti-Epic :p but at least he agrees that the problem is bigger than "just another launcher". Thanks to The Bible in threadmarks for giving me arguments to oppose :steam_cleanseal:

There's maybe not enough info about how EGS will not accept everyone and that there's too many games coming out every week for people to play all of them, so "average" games or bad marketed games can't be successful. It's not EGS or Steam fault, but falling on Steam for bad sales figures is not something I understand.
Got our first Epic code.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

And so it begins....
Well, you're now an enemy of the cause. Give us news from the dark side ! :p

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
There's maybe not enough info about how EGS will not accept everyone and that there's too many games coming out every week for people to play all of them, so "average" games or bad marketed games can't be successful. It's not EGS or Steam fault, but falling on Steam for bad sales figures is not something I understand.
The silly thing is developers acting like it's somehow unique to the gaming industry.

Any moron can get on Spotify or iTunes with relative ease, which makes the "indie" music scene massive and stifling. To say nothing of all the fake musicians that Spotify (and Sony) have employed to create tracks to cut the royalties of actual artists.

Any grandma can "write" a (e)book and get it on Amazon and the self-publishing industry has, for years, been trying to figure out how to assure that "quality" rises to the top.

Same goes for anything. There's a million hot sauce brands, indie filmmakers, clothing brands, microbreweries, etc. Welcome to real life game devs.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm probably going to buy his game now. I swore to myself I wouldn't be that guy and buy games just because they turned down Epic but he went a step further and gave us actual physical proof of Epic's bullshit with that email. Journalists can no longer stick their head in the sand and deny the obvious (that it was about the bag of money and hurting Steam). The stones on this guy to go out there and actually expose Sweeney...goddamn I respect that.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I'm probably going to buy his game now. I swore to myself I wouldn't be that guy and buy games just because they turned down Epic but he went a step further and gave us actual physical proof of Epic's bullshit with that email. Journalists can no longer stick their head in the sand and deny the obvious (that it was about the bag of money and hurting Steam). The stones on this guy to go out there and actually expose Sweeney...goddamn I respect that.
You sure? There's at least one on ERA trying to spin this as part of a dev harassment campaign.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
This one did not "do the thing" so the EGS defence force surfaced to denigrate them.
And by this we see the true colours of some of the posters there and the thinness of their arguments.

I do not even log in there anymore and that is for the best of my sanity.
Like I said on the other site, I'm afraid now this guy is going to be "hunted" by VG press for breaking their narrative and will become excommunicado by devs for not being a company man enough. May he prevail.
Isn't it fascinating how some "friends of developers" that care so deeply about them will not hesitate to smear a developer if they dare to break formation?

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Isn't it fascinating how some "friends of developers" that care so deeply about them will not hesitate to smear a developer if they dare to break formation?
I'm not even surprised by the gaming press, their interest has been known for a long time. But reaction to that screencapping is definitely interesting coming from the people who consider themselves to be on the left of center, a little bit too much concern for corporate ethics.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I'm not even surprised by the gaming press, their interest has been known for a long time. But reaction to that screencapping is definitely interesting coming from the people who consider themselves to be on the left of center, a little bit too much concern for corporate ethics.
"But his emails!!", right.

This article is honest, reasonable and professional. It's polite to everyone involved.
The only reason it puts epic into a bad light, is because of their own actions. But since we can't have that (epic is competition and competition is good and pro-devs yada yada), and there are no holes in the message the only way left is trying to discredit the messenger.

So they latch on to the email, because that's the only straw they have, even though it should be a complete non-issue. There is no personal information involved, there was no contract and no NDA. Everyone who follows the eggs saga knows that epic has been doing this already, it's hardly anything new or surprising.
But it's just that now it's hard proof and can't be no longer ignored with a "it's just a conspiracy theory, where's your proof" deflection and again, we can't have that.

I'd also bet money that if he hadn't included the mail, that same crowd would be trying to paint him a liar and some rando who wants to use the controvresy to get some extra sales etc.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
No one posted Tim's answer yet ?

:steam_cleanseal:

He's saying in public that visibility for new games will be over soon. This is going to be so much fun.
TL;DR : They did not agree to harm Steam and fuck over their audience, therefore no bueno. This is transparently poaching and that's all there is to it. The strategy is denying Steam sales through anti-competitive practices. This is possibly the clearest, documented example of why we despise the EGS and Epic's business "deals".

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I mean anyone who spent 5 minutes thinking about it all knew that already. It's just Epic/the media/shills/fanboys wanting to have their cake and eat it too leading to the contradictions. On one hand they hype Steam is unnecessary now EGS is awesome and games sell great on it, on the other they claim you need to buy exclusives to harm the evil monopoly, which admits Steam does reign supreme in volume of sales (and every other way), whether it has discoverability (which isn't inherent to Steam which does constantly attempt to innovate and improve on it since its inception, but the whole industry given the volume of releases, where of course the solution isn't to claim how EGS has all the good stuff so all the rest can fall off a cliff unless we can write some clickbait about them for our views, lol) and other issues (none of which EGS attempts to fix) they pile on or not. Finally there's a(nother) "story" about that beyond well thought out forum goer posts that they handwave as fanboy rants but they pile on that dev too. Meh.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Epic and their friends in the press acting like a mafia. Is no one surprised?

In other news, remember that dev who was shilling Epic on Twitter and anyone who disagreed with him was added to lists like "idiot" and "capitalist pigs" or something like that? Doing that didn't really work out well for him.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Epic and their friends in the press acting like a mafia. Is no one surprised?

In other news, remember that dev who was shilling Epic on Twitter and anyone who disagreed with him was added to lists like "idiot" and "capitalist pigs" or something like that? Doing that didn't really work out well for him.

That's that Ron Jeremy guy? Why am I not surprised to see that he's redpiller? Matrix is helluva drug tho.

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
I refuse to believe anyone in the press is actually complaining about the email screencap in that post.

There's no way.

Right?

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
So, um, there's Kotaku, RPS and PC Gamer with stories about Epic refusing a guy a platform unless he signs an exclusivity deal? There are you guys?

Edit: Shit, I always mix T and W in then and there.
It's the weekend when most regular journalists aren't working and then monday is gamescom. I have a feeling this will be quietly swept under the rug.

No doubt they'll cover whatever gets announced as EGS exclusive during gamescom though.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
It's the weekend when most regular journalists aren't working and then monday is gamescom. I have a feeling this will be quietly swept under the rug.

No doubt they'll cover whatever gets announced as EGS exclusive during gamescom though.
The story is pretty big, not sure if they can do it after Tim himself acknowledged the situation and story having a decent traction on boards and forums.