News Epic Games Store

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
About Randy, do you guys remember this?

And inb4: It's Half-Life Alyx and not 3. Call me biased, but I'm pretty confident it is and that Valve is just superstitious about giving a game the "3".
Microsoft isn't recommending to play Halo 3 before Reach. Valve is recommending to play HL2:Episode 2 before HLA.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Can I just say it's so nice coming to MetaCouncil and not seeing this thread lit up like a Christmas Tree all the time? I also find it hilarious that the week Valve announces a new Half Life game, the only thing Epic has to announce to contend with it is that Beyond Two Souls is releasing on PC soon. >.<
If you want some flamewars, I can take one for the team, easy peasy.
BAN PUNCHER Aussie sucks, NeoGeo has no good games, dropbears should be given naltrexone and all of your favorite anime is SHIT

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
So we're at the last week of November. If I remember correctly, EGS was "announced" on the first week of December, right? It's almost its "first" birthday. We all know that it's not actually 1 year old, but let's just agree with all those supporters for now since they always deflect EGS criticisms with "It's still a brand new store!".

Now the question is, what has Epic done to improve the store (and launcher) all this time? I remember a few, like a refund system, cloud save, and some improvement to the storefront and game pages.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
One improvement to the EGS experience was that they took down the timeline so you could shop without worrying about the EGS Developer crunching to add missing features.

Actual picture of the EGS Developer at Crunch Time...

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Minimalism is a design philosophy and requires discipline. Anyone can just add features to their store until it's bloated and "consumer-friendly" but it takes real will-power to resist and keep things simple and bare-bones.

Valve just don't have the strength of character for that life.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Now the question is, what has Epic done to improve the store (and launcher) all this time?
Given a bunch of people free games.
This has been Super Effective! on people who don't actually own a gaming capable PC but have a Gotta Catch 'Em All mentality and now a library of 20 or so titles that they might maybe look at sometime in the future.

A.K.A. The Origin Ploy

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Now the question is, what has Epic done to improve the store (and launcher) all this time? I remember a few, like a refund system, cloud save, and some improvement to the storefront and game pages.
1) Fixed their utter shit refund system - it had stupid restrictions like 2 refunds per year. Now has the same requirements as Steam, still a manual system that needs to go through their support.
2) Regional pricing support, adding more currencies and countries. To their credit they support some regions that Steam doesn't.
3) A search bar. lol
4) Cloud saves, but considering their cloud save FAQ still has the notice about Borderlands 3 erasing people's data, lol.
5) An actual storefront layout with categories instead of a vomit of game plates.

Clearly a very busy year.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
You are all too harsh.

The biggest achievement was to convince the press that consumers should care about the income of stock market companies over their own interests.
The second biggest achievement was to make people cautious towards funding campaigns.
The third biggest achievement was to discount games before they were even available to download. Giving everybody who pre ordered at full price a very good feeling inside.
The fourth biggest achievement was being toxic towards critics and gamers. Further improving the mistrust between developers and consumers.
The fifth biggest achievement was to change the meaning of indy development. Once it meant being independent from publishers and doing your own stuff. Now it means being independent from consumer and selling your game to store fronts instead.

And you all are like epic didn't have a busy year. When in truth they were very good at making this industry worse.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
What Epic did in the past 12 months:

- introduced moneyhatting 3rd party games to pc gaming

- pissed off a significant part of the pc gaming community

- severely damage the relationship between developers and gamers

- nearly killed crowdfunding for games by moneyhatting games funded by backers

- devaluated indie games by giving away dozens of indie games for free

- turned streamers into paid shills

- turned some excellent games into a flop

- raised the price of games by boycotting 3rd party keystores

- somehow caused several devs to act like jerks

Well done Epic! 👍

Edit: my apologies for my negativity; in real life I'm actually a very optimistic guy ^^

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
It's remarkable how many Epic-shilling articles have been published on non-gaming related tech sites in the past few weeks. Example here. Most of it seems to be written by Epic's PR department:

For the expert gamers, Epic Games Store is not a new name. However, for the newbies in video games and the likes, this is a curated electronic storefront for Mac and PC, designed with both the developers and players in mind. It is focused on offering exciting games for gamers and a reasonable deal for the developers. When you purchase a game on this store, about 88% of the price directly goes to the developers, whereas on many other stores, only 70% goes to the game developers.

Aside from the Black Friday Deals, upcoming updates from the developers, features, and more offerings await the gaming world for both the new and old players. More so, exclusives are also part of this successful platform's growth for both the games and other digital entertainment forms, such as music and video streaming. And, even if Black Friday ends, the Epic Games Store continues to offer its gamers' exciting treats, such as the free new game made available every week throughout the year. And, when a player claims a free game, it is his to keep even if that particular game is not available anymore for the new customers to claim for free.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Someone must’ve forgotten to tag it #ad. Gross. This is exactly what I was talking about with these writers just literally parroting press release talking points.

Also lol at this bit:

shill said:
a curated electronic storefront for Mac and PC, designed with both the developers and players in mind
Nothing in that store is designed with players in mind. Not even the handouts. It’s just a play to get you into the ecosystem, contribute to their monthly numbers, and soften you up for a purchase.

Last edited: