News Epic Games Store

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
So, Genesis Alpha One gonna get complete edition on Steam an GOG sooner than owners of the game on EGS? Says a lot on how much devs and pubs care about EGS and its userbase.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I don't understand why the Metro publisher is not planning a GOG release since the game is one year old already, it has been reviewed and it has been available in two plus one pc stores.

I know it is their property but it would probably be an explosion of good will if they had such a DRM free release to make up for the absolute fuckery they caused during launch.

Maybe the game did that bad so they are after any dime they can get, and it is their right to do it, but this enforces my notion that Deep Silver are a complete scum so they do not earn my money.

Feeling bad about the good people that made the game, it looks great.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
The fact that one of their exclusives got delisted and people didn't notice until 3 weeks later is embarassing. Especially since they constantly tout how good EGS's curation is for visibility.
Between EGS' discovery tools being shit and the game having one of the worst MC scores last year not a lot of people had an interest in it to begin with. But that's an interesting situation, if the game was delisted by Epic, does it mean Bigben can make it available on Steam? Or they should wait for an entire year even in this situation?

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
The fact that one of their exclusives got delisted and people didn't notice until 3 weeks later is embarassing. Especially since they constantly tout how good EGS's curation is for visibility.
If it had been on Steam, removal would have been noticed within minutes, not within weeks.

Wonder if Steam version is also canceled...

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Yeah, the game has been probably cancelled. Which makes me wonder what happened to active licenses. Are people even able to download the game?
And all jokes aside, zero buyers is not a believable scenario.

Or maybe the publisher ran into some kind of legal dispute and decided to take the game down for the time being?

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I can take a guess...
  • The DLC hasn't been cracked yet
  • Maintaining another version of the game is expensive and time consuming
  • The amount of people that will change their minds over DRM-free is unremarkable
Or they are beholden to bone-headed shareholders and/or leadership that doesn't understand piracy and views DRM as a necessity.

Reactions: m_dorian and ISee

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Between EGS' discovery tools being shit and the game having one of the worst MC scores last year not a lot of people had an interest in it to begin with. But that's an interesting situation, if the game was delisted by Epic, does it mean Bigben can make it available on Steam? Or they should wait for an entire year even in this situation?
they signed the contract ... they got the money (bigben, i mean ... the devs probably got jack shit) ... they can't "take it back" now, lol

gonna be 12 months either way (or i suppose i could never come back)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I wonder what has happened to EGS exclusives. At the start, it seemed like Epic was just looking through the top 50-100 most wishlisted games on Steam and moneyhatted whatever they could, now I feel it's totally different.

Maybe what I read on Twitter a few weeks ago has some truth in it, that Epic wants devs/pubs to approach them and not the other way around.

Reactions: Alexandros

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I think they're doing it because they are in a much better bargaining position if developers approach them first. They undoubtably overpaid for their first batch of exclusives. Ridiculously so in my opinion.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I think they're doing it because they are in a much better bargaining position if developers approach them first. They undoubtably overpaid for their first batch of exclusives. Ridiculously so in my opinion.
Correct, but it doesn't lead to many "prestige" "gotcha!" exclusives. In the first year, they grazed the top 100 wishlisted games on steam. The devs who would jump at the chance of getting an epic moneybag probably are mostly from the top 1000+ wishlisted games.
And devs who got good games but do have financial problems are not only in a worse bartering position, they could even make less money than before if Tim gets to know they are desperate.

I mean, it is good, that tim doesn't snatch good, popular games proactively anymore, but the sheer arrogance...
And it can't even be good PR at the whole when there are more and more devs who wanted a moneybag but were just booted out the door or got an offer that was a slap on the face (just to get rid of them) and writing blogs about it, or get the very scarse news article about it.
You can't tout that you are the savior of indies if you kick 99% of the indies that are coming to you, expecting help, out of the door

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Correct, but it doesn't lead to many "prestige" "gotcha!" exclusives. In the first year, they grazed the top 100 wishlisted games on steam. The devs who would jump at the chance of getting an epic moneybag probably are mostly from the top 1000+ wishlisted games.
And devs who got good games but do have financial problems are not only in a worse bartering position, they could even make less money than before if Tim gets to know they are desperate.

I mean, it is good, that tim doesn't snatch good, popular games proactively anymore, but the sheer arrogance...
And it can't even be good PR at the whole when there are more and more devs who wanted a moneybag but were just booted out the door or got an offer that was a slap on the face (just to get rid of them) and writing blogs about it, or get the very scarse news article about it.
You can't tout that you are the savior of indies if you kick 99% of the indies that are coming to you, expecting help, out of the door
A bit of bad PR is all about a part of being the best curated store for indies, and Tim will stop at several things to get there.
Clearly his open door approach still has a lot of unsaid caveats since he/the EGS team are the arbiters of what is 'good enough' to be on the store, and as has been the issue from the beginning - the games that really could use X thousands/millions probably won't get noticed/accepted

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
A bit of bad PR is all about a part of being the best curated store for indies, and Tim will stop at several things to get there.
Clearly his open door approach still has a lot of unsaid caveats since he/the EGS team are the arbiters of what is 'good enough' to be on the store, and as has been the issue from the beginning - the games that really could use X thousands/millions probably won't get noticed/accepted
And the more critically acclaimed games you scorn and the more subpar or outright bad games you moneyhat, the more it will fall flat on its face.
I mean, the console makers are not in a situation where they will get flak if they don't help indies get on the console. They just can sit back and pick out the raisins after an indie got immensely popular.
But if you are EGS and the self-proclaimed savior of indie gaming, you will have to answer more and more questions why indie sensation xyz was not allowed on the store but badindiegame54 was.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
And the more critically acclaimed games you scorn and the more subpar or outright bad games you moneyhat, the more it will fall flat on its face.
I mean, the console makers are not in a situation where they will get flak if they don't help indies get on the console. They just can sit back and pick out the raisins after an indie got immensely popular.
But if you are EGS and the self-proclaimed savior of indie gaming, you will have to answer more and more questions why indie sensation xyz was not allowed on the store but badindiegame54 was.
People really forget how the world was befoe Steam started opening up with Greenlight and the media was asking that same question.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
It's (not) funny how fast media went from steam new to be open to steel needs to be closed after they opened.
The narrative doesn't really matter, so long as people are clicking links and viewing ads.

There are a few ideologues in the press who take one strong position or another for better or worse, but on the whole they will say whatever needs to be said to get a click.

Reactions: lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Disappointing to see that next game from the Mutant year zero people is eggs. That and Phoenix Point would have been two day one buys for me. What is it with Timmy snatching up XCOMesque games? They are my favourite. Its like hes spying on me.

Oh well. Back to XCOM2.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Disappointing to see that next game from the Mutant year zero people is eggs. That and Phoenix Point would have been two day one buys for me. What is it with Timmy snatching up XCOMesque games? They are my favourite. Its like hes spying on me.

Oh well. Back to XCOM2.
A couple years ago, when I foolishly backed Phoenix Point for instante, I'd share this feeling but thankfuly there's dozens of great tactics games on Steam nowadays and a lot more coming on the next few months, even if you don't count the Chinese games with no English support (yet).
Let Timmy keep his toy, especially since it doesn't looks anything special.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

CW: Okay, from pre-production to release, excellent. So, a little offshoot and something with some controversy, the launch on the Epic Games Store - did you have any feedback from that, any people unhappy over it?

MB: Yeah, no, we didn't get anything really. Yeah, I wish there was some drama to talk about, but it didn't seem to get much negativity.

CW: Interesting. You'll have seen from different games, ones that have had backlash when launching on Epic.

MB: I think people got it, I think people liked the game on Epic store. I think people were also aware that it's a timed exclusive so it's coming out elsewhere later. We said that up front, I think, which probably helps.

CW: Yeah, that certainly always helps. So, was it a decision made by yourselves or by Good Shepherd as the publisher?

MB: We all own that decision. So us, Good Shepherd and Lionsgate. I take responsibility for everything we do.

CW: I've got no issues. Personally, I like the Epic Games Store.

MB: Genuinely, Epic Games Store is brilliant as a system to be working with. It's fantastic. The way you upload, the way you put your game on there. It's got lovely control for the developers.

CW: So the back end of Epic is actually really good?

MB: Like surprisingly good, it's a really pleasant experience.

CW: I do think sometimes that's something that Epic could do with getting that out more.

MB: Well, I mean do players care? Do players care if our lives are easier? I'm not sure they do. Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't think it's... I don't care how easy it is for a cinema to put a new film on.

Reactions: Alexandros

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
If it is a pleasant experience to upload stuff on EGS, it is a pleasant experience. He is right about me, a consumer, not caring about that at all.
All I can say is that it's not a pleasant experience to see games I looked forward to and even backed be snitched up by epic with the sole purpose to make me start using a store so that Tim can claw into the pc market.
All I get from EGS is the inconvenience of another game library on another launcher, that may or may not survive. Paired with a less convenient service and set of features.

That's really not a good deal.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I want the Devs to feel good and be less stressful when they are doing their job.
It almost always makes their product better.

Now, they can do what they want with their product according to their interests but I also do the same as a potential customer.

If a game goes EGS timed then it will not have my money because I do not like assholes and people dealing with them and I might enjoy their product long after a deep sale in another's store. I will not miss it but they will definitely miss my money because that is how these things are.

So many other games out there.