News Epic Games Store

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Its not that surprising tbh.

Activision got a lot of data over the past couple years that showed them these console classic games aren't selling that well on PC anyways. At least nowhere near as well as they sell on consoles. They might as well collect a paycheck for their PC efforts while Sweeney is desperate to moneyhat any popular game that he can this year.

They can mask their shit support too since they never released Spyro and Crash remakes as day n date on PC. If this wasn't an EGS exclusive you probably would see PC version be late anyways.

Reactions: lashman

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
This weeks free EGS game is GTA V.
Ugh, seems like Epic is really trying for a resurgence of the store. I can only pray they don’t succeed. THPS is definitely the biggest exclusive they’ve gotten in months, and GTAV is uniquely positioned to rake in the casuals (and I don’t use casuals as a dirty word.)

Also, if you thought GTA Online was bad with cheaters before...

Reactions: Ge0force

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Just got Huntdown: High Seas Edition and a friend of mine got Bloodroots: High Seas Edition last week. We both have thousands of games on our Steam accounts and lots of paid games on GOG and Origin, but we both refuse to buy games on EGS unless it's a full exclusive, meaning I will buy Epic published games, but not Epic timed exclusive games.

It's Epic's fault. Usually before if I went to the high seas, I used the high seas as a demo thing, play a few min then decide if I was gonna put it on my wishlist, buy it now or never touch it again. Many of the Steam features are important to me, and if I went ahead and got a game from the caribbean I would later feel bad about it (seriously).

So Epic has managed to do something not even Microsoft Store ever did: return to the caribbean.

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Ugh, seems like Epic is really trying for a resurgence of the store. I can only pray they don’t succeed. THPS is definitely the biggest exclusive they’ve gotten in months, and GTAV is uniquely positioned to rake in the casuals (and I don’t use casuals as a dirty word.)

Also, if you thought GTA Online was bad with cheaters before...
the same kids that play Fortnite will play gta online

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
[UWSL] [/UWSL][UWSL][/UWSL]
Just got Huntdown: High Seas Edition and a friend of mine got Bloodroots: High Seas Edition last week. We both have thousands of games on our Steam accounts and lots of paid games on GOG and Origin, but we both refuse to buy games on EGS unless it's a full exclusive, meaning I will buy Epic published games, but not Epic timed exclusive games.

It's Epic's fault. Usually before if I went to the high seas, I used the high seas as a demo thing, play a few min then decide if I was gonna put it on my wishlist, buy it now or never touch it again. Many of the Steam features are important to me, and if I went ahead and got a game from the caribbean I would later feel bad about it (seriously).

So Epic has managed to do something not even Microsoft Store ever did: return to the caribbean.
I can't blame you. Piracy is an easy option on pc, and the major reason why I'm buying games instead of pirating them is to support the devs. I have no intention to support devs that are helping Epic to establish store exclusivity deals on pc. That's why I'm not buying any games involved in Epic's money hats. This has been easy for me because there are so many other great games to play on pc, but when a game that I really want to play goes EGS exclusive, chances are I will pirate it as well. I haven't pirated pc games in more than 15 years, but I'm done giving my money to shitty companies.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Isn't GTAV one of, if not the best, selling PC games of all time mostly based on youtube and mods? Are there really that many people left that are already engaged in the market that Epic covet, youtube influencers, that don't already have it?

NoNoNoByAllMeans

May 2, 2020
I mean, it ranks highly on Twitch with their Role Playing stuff still, after all this time. I bet that there are tons of Fortnite-kids that haven't been able to buy it/or are not allowed to because of their parents or whatnot - it now becoming free for a limited period would probably get lots of new folks into GTA: Online.

How many of those will start paying for Sharkcards or Sharkmoney or whatever it's called, I don't know. But I don't know if Take 2/2K cares, still a win-win for them, lots of cash for a 7 year old game (5 on PC) and new players to potentially spend money on your online, why not?

I still find it ironic of Epic with their preaching towards indie devs when so many of the biggest of the big AAA-devs and publishers have been courted and used to promote their client. 😛

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Isn't GTAV one of, if not the best, selling PC games of all time mostly based on youtube and mods? Are there really that many people left that are already engaged in the market that Epic covet, youtube influencers, that don't already have it?
Cheaters who have to buy new copies of game :p

(only half-jokin)

NoNoNoByAllMeans

May 2, 2020
:deept:

But CyberPunk 2077 was available for pre-order the exact same time on all the stores, including EGS. I don't think this is that surprising, more so that it wasn't there earlier? I bet we will see Thronebreaker there eventually also.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
But CyberPunk 2077 was available for pre-order the exact same time on all the stores, including EGS. I don't think this is that surprising, more so that it wasn't there earlier? I bet we will see Thronebreaker there eventually also.
I think the point is it's not available for purchase yet. Usually, this means the game will be a free title.

Reactions: tmarg

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I will say this, epic exclusivity (seemingly) has made EA and microsoft bring their games back to steam (or for steam to push them to bring it back). So at least there is that.
yup, not everything's awful :p

(although EA's new regional pricing on steam definitely is ... same for MS and their EU pricing)

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
yup, not everything's awful :p

(although EA's new regional pricing on steam definitely is ... same for MS and their EU pricing)
Yeah EA's pricing is pretty bad, but microsoft's games seem to be super good for russia and pakistan. Gears tactics was properly discounted so i prerecorded it full price. Probably gunna eventually buy master chief collection too.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah EA's pricing is pretty bad, but microsoft's games seem to be super good for russia and pakistan. Gears tactics was properly discounted so i prerecorded it full price. Probably gunna eventually buy master chief collection too.
yes, they have good pricing for Russia and Pakistan ... but their $60 games are 70€ in EU ... so, you know ...

Reactions: Ge0force

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
yes, they have good pricing for Russia and Pakistan ... but their $60 games are 70€ in EU ... so, you know ...
Yeah i feel that man, that sucks. I'm kind of torn of my opinion of this. On one hand countries that have a higher median income can help support the lower prices for developing countries and other impoverished countries. On the other hand it is definetly not fair you guys have to pay more then what is properly established as the base price for a game ($60 USD).

zonk

Mar 29, 2019

Seems like GTA V will be free to pick up on EGS, and in the same twitter thread it's also rumored for Witcher III: Wild Hunt

Edit: Oh, I was on last page... please ignore and move on :)

Reactions: Dandy

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
GTA V is a good game but I had my lifetime fill when I beat it. I don’t understand people playing (and spending money) on the multiplayer.

Reactions: ISee

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Wow, thanks! We even have a video now!

By the way, a second entry appeared:

So, we might get 2 games: GTAV, and another game for kids.
Yeah, this is likely. Epic said they always want to give out a non M rated game every week, and that statement still rings true. GTAV would be the first M rated game to be given out without a 2nd non-mature title alongside it.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I mean, it ranks highly on Twitch with their Role Playing stuff still, after all this time. I bet that there are tons of Fortnite-kids that haven't been able to buy it/or are not allowed to because of their parents or whatnot - it now becoming free for a limited period would probably get lots of new folks into GTA: Online.

How many of those will start paying for Sharkcards or Sharkmoney or whatever it's called, I don't know. But I don't know if Take 2/2K cares, still a win-win for them, lots of cash for a 7 year old game (5 on PC) and new players to potentially spend money on your online, why not?

I still find it ironic of Epic with their preaching towards indie devs when so many of the biggest of the big AAA-devs and publishers have been courted and used to promote their client. 😛
is the real life mod tied to Steam or the game? Is crossplay possible between Steam and Rockstar Launcher?

The normal players could be annoyed by the surge of cheaters and idiots who will flood the servers.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
GTAV is sick. Worth it for just the singleplayer. First person view is a trip if you've played GTAV on ps3/xbox360.

Also in for $10 free.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
I'd expect that everyone and their goldfish at least owned a couple copies of GTA V by now but I guessed wrong.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I'd expect that everyone and their goldfish at least owned a couple copies of GTA V by now but I guessed wrong.
Yeah, I don't really understand why people are going apeshit over a cheap 5 year old game that goes on a heavy sale every other week and people have multiple copies of but have fun.

That said, it's fun to see people being annoyed that they can't play their EGS games since the store being down means everything is down. Welcome to the "just another launcher" future.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Is this Tim Sweeney's Hail Mary for EGS?
Pretty much, they kept inflating EGS numbers with bots claiming free games, and now I think they reached the peak of bots claiming games, if it don´t convince every pub/dev that EGS has the numbers to make your game succeds, nothing will.

Besides, they probrably paid a shit ton to give GTAV for free as the game were still on global top sellers on Steam.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
This GTA V giveaway just confirms to me that eggs are going to keep throwing money at the store to get user numbers up and they wont stop until its a success. So many people are redeeming the game (even though its pretty old and regularly on sale). I see the tired old 'its just a launcher' arguments again.

Makes me sad. Eggs is here to stay.

Deleted member 113

GTA V is making me cave
If you want the game, why not? ;)

---

I know everyone has different opinions about the EGS, especially regarding the way they've been handling things.
For example, I won't ever use their store, period. It's a matter of "grumpiness" ( :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes: ) and principle. When I feel disrespected, you can throw every freebie and reward at me, you won't ever get my money. Period.

But, it's not because of the free giveaways, or discount code policy. In fact, giving away a game as big as GTAV, and on top of that giving people a $10 coupon, is a very generous, and aggressive move. I would almost label it desperate. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes: But, for potential customers, it's great.

I have no problem with the free games. Developers/Publishers get paid, users get free games, and Epic, in theory, gets some new potential customers. Nothing wrong with that. Obviously, it may create a problem for the developers/publishers trying to sell that same game in the future, since it devalues them in the eyes of some people (but that's their problem, and it's on them to weight in the risk/reward of that move), but it's a way to entice people, and as a potential customer, there's nothing wrong with that.

The same thing with coupons. Pretty much every store has them. Or, at least some kind of "loyalty" bonuses. For example, I just bought a game on the Gamebillet store, and I received 1% or so of my purchase in credit for a future purchase.
Again, nothing wrong with that. It's a way to entice people to spend their money, and you won't hear me complain about any of these.

If anything, I think Valve is extremely passive in terms of trying entice people to buy more stuff at their store, by using reward programs. In recent sales, they have been very shyly experimenting with that, but these were very tenuous attempts.
I buy at Humble, and I get 20% off each purchase because I'm a monthly subscriber. I buy at GamersGate, Voidu, WinGameStore, Gamebillet, and plenty more, and I get rewarded in credit, or points (that can be used in discounts or to purchase stuff).
Humble gives free games as well. GMG as well.

Again, these are ways to entice people, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Even console platforms give out occasionally some freebies.

But then, they go out, and pull crap like signing crowdfunded games, to basically piss people off, and try to "bully" non-users to start using their store.
Or, their moves regarding timed-exclusivity, in which they are basically signing games to launch everywhere, except Steam.
That, I obviously can't respect, especially since I was a backer of many of the games they signed, and that has ensured they'll never get my money.

But yeah, these freebies are, personally, a non-issue.
I don't like the EGS, and people surely have seen me voice my disapproval of many of the things they are, and what they do.

But, I won't start turning a free giveaway into something negative just because it's Epic.
I mean, if it was, say, Humble, everyone would rejoice. Considering it something bad, just because it's Epic, doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, I don't really understand why people are going apeshit over a cheap 5 year old game that goes on a heavy sale every other week and people have multiple copies of but have fun.
I have no interest in the game, especially after they decided to, once again, launch terribly late on PC, and with locked content that you would need to have played a previous generation console to unlock.

If I wanted the game, I would have bought it.

But, giving away a big title such as GTA V, no matter how old it is, it's still something potentially good for those who may have wanted the game.
Like I mentioned above, Epic deserves plenty of heat for the crap they pull, but let's not turn a giveaway, as in, getting something for free, as something negative, just because of who is doing this.
That almost makes it sound like people complain about the store for every reason, and no reason, when in fact there's plenty of good reasons to criticize it.

And, if this is such a "worthless" thing, why come Valve hasn't done so as well? I don't mean GTA V, but giving away an occasional title, at least as a reward for long-time customers.

I buy hundreds of games every year on Steam. Most of them, during the year, outside of the big sales. You know what, it would be nice to get an occasional discount code or two. Or maybe a freebie. ;)
Instead, the last time Valve decided to reward people with points, that could be turned into a small discount voucher, it was only if one bought games on that particular sale (ironically, that meant that I didn't get a discount voucher, since I didn't have enough points, despite all the amount I spend on Steam throughout the year).
And now, they are preparing to reward people for posts they make, and social-media-like reactions. So yeah, I'm out of luck. 😊

---

EDIT: How appropriate, considering what I wrote above:

Humble has Aegis Defenders for free:

Do get it, it's quite enjoyable, and as a freebie, it's a "no brainer".

Your move, Valve. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Site still down.

Can't cost Epic Money if you can't claim your game (which I won't bc I've got two copies) and coupon (which I'm totally fucking in on).

Welp.