News Epic Games Store

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Sorry for the late reply. And since people have said they don't like having this discussion in this thread, so I'll try to keep it short.

Publishers only care about where they will get more money. Getting EGS exclusivity money + money from Steam customers a year later is more than getting just the EGS money and no money from Steam customers. If you want to believe that skipping EGS exclusivity and releasing everywhere at the same time would have given them even more money then that is your prerogative. My point is that by buying EGS exclusives on Steam, Steam customers are validating the strategy of taking the exclusivity deal.

And if you or anyone else truly believes that Epic is desperate or failing at their strategy then I would strongly urge you look outside of your echo chamber. They have generated more goodwill in the last month with their giveaways than they have since launch. People are happily becoming users and customers of their store, with or without the sale coupon. Snowrunner was the last to report good sales figures and that launched before the sale discount happened. I personally know folks who pre-ordered the game and didn't need a discount/freebie to get them to spend money on the store. The sentiment on reddit (outside one particular subreddit) towards the EGS is hugely positive. There are people who actually say that EGS is better than Steam now because Steam doesn't sell their games at a loss. Like I said before, discounts and freebies are all it takes to buy customers.

This is not the first time this has happened either. Remember when the Windows store and UWP came out and there was a hugely negative reaction towards it from the PC gaming community? People avoided the store for ages until Microsoft came up with their $1 Gamepass deals. That's all it took to change people's minds. There are now people (PC gamers, not just Xbox folks) who call Gamepass the best gaming service ever. The Windows store does all the shit it used to do 3 years ago. It still puts encrypted folders on your hard drive that you can't access with an admin account. Games still have no mods. They are still unstable. But people will ignore all this because it's cheap enough. Nobody will claim the Windows store is successful but it is now acceptable to many. That is where Epic is heading. They are making the practice of store bought exclusivity acceptable to PC gamers at large.

Well, this didn't end up being short at all. Apologies to those who dislike this conversation. I'll refrain from bringing it up again.
I'm answering to your post here to keep the main thread as clean as possible from EGS discussion.

Regarding your first point, you are focusing on the wrong side of the equation. I would encourage you to look up my previous posts on the matter, in which I expressed the opinion that publishers and developers are unlikely to be the first to back down from these deals because they will always take the easy guaranteed money. I have said many times that Epic is the side that is more likely to back down as long as its policies and strategy remain unprofitable. 18 months after the store launch Epic finds itself still burning through cash in order to push the store. If you think that this is an indication of success, I honestly don't know what to tell you.

Your second point is very strange. I would boil it down to "Epic's pro-customer policies (giveaways and subsidized discounts) are bringing in users and customers". Isn't that, you know, normal? The fight against Epic doesn't have the objective of making the EGS close shop, it's about getting Epic to stop its moneyhatting so that customers have more options. I have no idea why you consider people getting free games or buying at a massive discount as some sort of 'gotcha'. Furthermore, you use the term 'echo chamber' incorrectly. An echo chamber doesn't allow or accept different opinions like yours.

Finally, your third point is just flat out wrong. UWP has completely failed, Microsoft is in the process of replacing it with a new system and nobody is buying games from the Microsoft Store. The fact that people are signing up for $1 deals for Gamepass doesn't prove that customers were swayed, it categorically proves the exact opposite: that UWP's value in the eyes of customers is so low that it only makes sense as a rental service at bargain bin prices.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
MS Store is so shit only 1$ game pass deals can make people use it for games and games still sell (from my observations) great on Steam.

The fact that Sea of Thieves, a game that has been available on PC game pass since it started and free via the play anywhere program if you had Xbox Game Pass (before PC game pass happened) is a top selling game of Steam and it released in december 2016 unless I misremember, is quite frankly insane.

Another thing, if exclusives, free games and coupons are the main reason the people who use EGS are using EGS then EGS has a problemi, imo.

Valve has at least nurtured people to use Steam as a platform to both buy and play games. EGS seems to be mainly used to get free stuff and coupon sales.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Epic can't even do leaks right.

Ark will probably be next week's mystery game.

Reactions: lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Wait so he's saying we are awesome that we drove people to buy games from our competitors? Is this guy delusional?
yes, that's pretty much what he's saying :p
He cant make up his mind can he. At the start of eggs it was all about the developer cut and how the Steam tax is bad m'kay and now he's championing the fact that he is getting Steam more business.

Make up your mind Tim!

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

:popo:
Hmm, unexpected but okay.
It's available on Steam, GOG and now EGS. People can make a choice where to get it from, I have no problem with that.
I do not understand why somebody would pick the EGS version over the DRM free GOG version tbh. But who am I to judge.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Hmm, unexpected but okay.
It's available on Steam, GOG and now EGS. People can make a choice where to get it from, I have no problem with that.
I do not understand why somebody would pick the EGS version over the DRM free GOG version tbh. But who am I to judge.
I imagine the coupon will tip a lot of people over, especially as the game is already discounted. It's a good deal for a great game, and if someone's happy to use Epic's client for a low price then what's the big deal?

This is really how Epic should've competed from the start. Imagine the frenzy if, instead of exclusives poisoning the well, they were using coupons to undercut Steam on price?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I imagine the coupon will tip a lot of people over, especially as the game is already discounted. It's a good deal for a great game, and if someone's happy to use Epic's client for a low price then what's the big deal?

This is really how Epic should've competed from the start. Imagine the frenzy if, instead of exclusives poisoning the well, they were using coupons to undercut Steam on price?
A reasonable, good strategy?
Nah, let's diminish choice, apply force and trash talk the consumer instead.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com

You should send Sweeney a DM with the idea so that he can tweet about his brilliant plan that he totally came up by himself, and didn't actually happen on accident.

Truth be told, if that were EGS' business plan, I might have made the switch. I tend to go where the games are cheaper.

Reactions: C-Dub

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Just an friendly warning about the PC Epic Gaming Show and other game announcements, with Sweeney doing PR for Sony, expect anything related to Sony like Bloodborne and Atlus games to be exclusive to EGS just so you guys won´t be disapointed, and if its not at least will be a nice surprise.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Just an friendly warning about the PC Epic Gaming Show and other game announcements, with Sweeney doing PR for Sony, expect anything related to Sony like Bloodborne and Atlus games to be exclusive to EGS just so you guys won´t be disapointed, and if its not at least will be a nice surprise.
That seems sensible, but I would also not expect those exclusivity periods to last longer than a month.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
With the HZD port headed to PC in like, a month, and all the Dark Souls games already out, the Demon's Souls remake being exclusive to EGS would be an astonishing feat.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I don't think the Sony PR that Sweeney has been making the rounds with translates to a lot of EGS 'scloosies for Sony titles on PC. He's already dug a hole with MS, so it's not like he's going to be doing the PR blitz for them.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Nope. Gaben is playing 4D chess, everything will be on Steam.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Epic is now trying to bring some insanely popular Steam games to its catalog it seems, after Disco they now have RimWorld
If they actually brought something of value to the table with a proper platform and advances that the rest of the market didn't already have in 2010, I think that users might actually take the option of choosing them over anyone else.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I don't think Bloodborne remaster will be exclusive to EGS.

Horizon is on Steam for instance.

Reactions: C-Dub

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019

Epic is now trying to bring some insanely popular Steam games to its catalog it seems, after Disco they now have RimWorld
RimWorld doesnt go on sale so it will be interesting next time the eggs pulls its bargain basement everything must go coupon extravaganza and sticks it on without the devs knowledge. :p

Reactions: lashman

Pogi

illiterate
Jun 25, 2019
I'm on my third playthrough after this happened twice before. I'd guess the Gears Tactics game, which is supposed to be great
I can't think of any names at the moment but...

What's the stupidest, most whimsical game you have in your collection. Go with one of those.
What's your "Comfy" slippers game? One you always return to because you know it well and enjoy the gameplay. For me it's something like Half Life 2 with cheats on so i can dick about and enjoy myself while my subconcious mulls things over.
Something stupidly mindless with bars and numbers that go up and up and up. Again so it satisfies and distracts you with bright sparkly lights and makes you giggle while your subconcious quietly seethes and plots revenge on the game that wronged you. Mmmmm, Saints' Row 3 or 4.

Just Cause 2 on easy mode with mad explosion mods.

How about Mario vs Rabbids instead?
I played a quarter of NBA2K and I'm back in XCOM 2 again. lmao

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
You all worrying about EGS exclusives but the anime games are safe on Steam :evilblob:
That's because only 60% of the people here are crazy and in blind love with anime.

And the rest of us play other niche games like strategy, building, management and other special sub genres.
But we all love a couple of very old franchises nearly nobody else even remembers. And all those games get constantly taken away.

Than there is lashman who was recently confirmed to be a furry, so his opinions only count 50%. But we still love him.
😜

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Reactions: inky and lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The more Epic wastes on mediocre Nacon games the better. Means they’ll have less to spend on actual good games lmao
I want that game to be so good, but clearly am going to i)wait and see ii))wait for a better store to buy it from. Hopefully EGS doesn't sink it

Last edited:
Reactions: Arsene and lashman