News Epic Games Store

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I just realized that Night School Studios (Oxenfree) released their game Afterparty last year in october and then I realized I played it on Xbox game pass on the day of release and I completely forgot about it.

The game came and went like a wet fart it seems. Never see anyone mentioning it.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I just realized that Night School Studios (Oxenfree) released their game Afterparty last year in october and then I realized I played it on Xbox game pass on the day of release and I completely forgot about it.

The game came and went like a wet fart it seems. Never see anyone mentioning it.
People seemed disappointed in it overall. I can't say I missed it.

Reactions: Phoenix RISING

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Oxenfree was a far better game.

I don't remember the score I gave Afterparty and Oxenfree last year, but today I would give Oxenfree 8.5/10 and Afterparty 6/10.

Reactions: lashman

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
The worst thing is games that released free when they launched. IIRC there are already two games on EGS that did it.
I'm waiting for my birthday to grab that free Total War: Troy game. Not buying any DLC for it tho, I'll just wait until everything is bargain bin price to buy it on Steam if I like it a couple of years down the line.

Completely unrelated but whoever owns Gamasutra needs to commission a new website.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
The worst thing is games that released free when they launched. IIRC there are already two games on EGS that did it.
Let's face those two games were going to sell single digit copies, one was just bad and the other a terrible attempt at copying Human Fall Flat. Free was the right price.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
His tweets read like EGS satire. The lack of self awareness is freaking me out.

This is really the political climate we are living in now, aren't we? A public figure can say anything that fuels his own selfish agenda, while contradicting himself constantly. There are no consequences and we are back in kindergarten.

Teacher:"Tim did you steal Gabe's toy?"
Tim, holding the Toy:"No, it was the other Tim, Tim Cook!"
Teacher slaps Gabe for lying.
PCGamer writes article how Tim Sweeny bravely defended his right to do anything because he is rich.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

looks like they are embedded in the overlayy ...might explain why the overlay is on game by game basis :-D

wonder if the achies will be visible outside of that overlay :face-with-tears-of-joy:
The EGS in-game overlay is also based on the SDK, meaning the devs/pub have to integrate the SDK with the overlay to use the overlay in their game.

Everything on EGS is so damn manual, no wonder so few games there have the overlay when the devs have to use their time to integrate it.

Reactions: lashman and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The EGS in-game overlay is also based on the SDK, meaning the devs/pub have to integrate the SDK with the overlay to use the overlay in their game.

Everything on EGS is so damn manual, no wonder so few games there have the overlay when the devs have to use their time to integrate it.
Yeah. It does feel quite odd because as developers there is no way they do not know how cumbersome and wrong that is compared to a proper solution.

It feels like they want to behave as if they had a monopoly, sitting in their castle when the EGS is that dodgy shack in the woods.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I can definetly see that. People will talk about the small download numbers on social media platforms which will prompt Epic to perhaps hide the download numbers.
I mean, realistically unless mods are already out there for the games on EGS (likely games also on Steam/etc), i don't see it taking off in the first place, let alone people picking up on it. Mods need word of mouth and player bases of a certain size to thrive, and well... you know.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Rob Fahey on Gamesindustry.biz wrote an article that contains this gem:

Epic's own Games Store seems largely designed as a challenge to that revenue share, taking only a 12% cut of each transaction. But while setting up an entirely separate distribution platform -- and inviting constant brickbats from inexplicably outraged consumers for having the nerve to actually try to compete with Steam -- is perhaps the most dramatic way in which anyone has expressed their disapproval of the 30% industry standard, Epic is far from being alone in disliking this toll.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The article makes some good points, especially about Apple's abusive position (and how they skim profit not just from the hardware, but also the services and app store built in), but the "Valve too" assertion is lazy and poorly-put, as is the argument that the reason Epic is doing 88/12 is to change the industry.

We should also be mindful that the 70/30 split is an industry standard, for better or worse, and that some storefronts can better justify it than others. It's not a clear cut 30% is good or bad, and Fahey does address this to a degree, saying that the 30% and 12% cut arguments are more than likely pulled from thin air. I'm inclined to agree to some extent.

Apple, having a monopoly on the iOS platform, charging a 30% cut when they own and profit from the hardware and baked-in services that put them at a distinct advantage compared to other service providers, is patently ludicrous. They absolutely should not be charging 30% because that 30% cut is not really benefitting the customer or third party developers.

Google, tying critical Android functionality to their proprietary services, commands a huge amount of leverage to pressure manufacturers to pre-load the Play Store onto devices, giving Google an unfair advantage similar to how Microsoft pushed Internet Explorer back in the day. In those cases, the 30% cut again feels unfair as neither customers nor developers are really seeing any benefit. An app launched through the Amazon Store, or F-Droid, is functionally identical to one launched through Google Play. The only reason Google commands a 30% cut there is because they're the biggest fish in the pond.

PlayStation Store, Xbox Marketplace and Nintendo eShop are different from mobile, as the digital stores present a better deal for developers, publishers and the platform holder. Their ~30% cut is definitely more than they'd get from a retail copy sold, but so is the ~70% developers/publishers get, as the overheads of physical copy sales really eats into the margins. We're also potentially seeing a "digital only" console from both Sony and Microsoft that is priced competitively, with that 30% cut helping to subsidise that hardware.

The PC platform is, again, different. Valve doesn't leverage any sort of consumer lock-in to get people to use Steam. People use Steam because, well, they want to use Steam. Because it's good. When I build or buy a new PC, I am in no way coerced to use Steam. Valve doesn't pay anyone to pre-install it (as far as I'm aware), and try as hard as they might, when I start a fresh install of Windows for the first time I don't download apps from their built-in store or browse the web on Edge; I just open it to download Firefox and Steam then forget most of the built-in Microsoft junk ever existed. And Valve's 30% cut gives value to customers and developers, whether they realise it or not. It allows developers to generate keys for free, which they can then sell via third parties or their own ecommerce platform, with Valve taking 0%.

The 30% cut funds functionality which, either at the time or still today, no one else wanted to develop. Big Picture (admittedly now surpassed by third party apps); friends lists, groups and chat (admittedly now surpassed by Discord); retail top-up cards (something no one else but Origin really does) and "exotic" and costly payment methods that Valve eats the cost on (and which Epic will ding the customer for); remote play (something that has some third party competition on, but nothing that is quite as comprehensive as Valve's offering, since the only excellent alternative requires a Nvidia GPU); Steam Workshop (admittedly now matched by EGS's modding support, assuming the community embrace it); and countless improvements and tweaks to the service to aid in discovering and selling games.

On alternative platforms, you are literally on your own to promote your game, whereas Valve has taken its responsibility as the biggest place to buy and sell and worked tirelessly to improve store functionality, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse. None of the aforementioned platform holders do half of what Valve tries to do to increase commerce on their store platforms. Steam lets me find amazing games, and it lets good developers sell their amazing games to the right audience, and that process is changing and improving all the time.

Steam has expanded the PC gaming audience from a "dying" platform rife with piracy 10-15 years ago, to a place that people buy and sell games like they never have before. Valve aren't heroes, and they do lots of shitty things (as all companies do), but their contribution to the sustainability of the PC as a platform, and not just in a historical sense but a perpetual and ongoing sense, is immeasurable. But the way some people talk, it's as if we should go back to the days before Steam proved games on PC could sell. The days before indies could find their customers with ease. The days when Japanese developers looked at the PC as a tool, and rolled their eyes at people wanting them to port games to PC because they knew it was just going to be pirated.

And in the end, Epic are no heroes as some want to paint them. They want to be a gatekeeper too, just in a different way. They feel they can take a hit on an 88/12 split if it means they can leverage their influence over developers to use Unreal Engine and other Epic middleware. It may not be super profitable on PC, but if developers naturally gravitate to EGS on PC, they'll be more inclined to use Unreal Engine and other Epic middleware on that platform (due to it all rolling into the 12% PC store cut), opening the door to Epic taking a slice of every sale on the consoles in the future. For the next big indie hit, that could be a good little earner for Epic. And that's even if Epic allows the next big indie hit onto their store - they may just decide it's a "crappy game" and strangle it out of existence before it even has a chance to shine.

And I'm sure if Epic gets their way, a few years later we'll see the same developers who whinged about Valve now crying about Epic holding too much sway over how they make and sell their games, and how EGS has bullied them into giving Epic a cut on sales for all future platforms in perpetuity.

Edit: Wow, that became a rant. Something about that article rubbed me the wrong way, I guess. 🤣

Last edited: