News Epic Games Store

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Considering there's lots of competition on PC, and no one's really budging on 30% when customers see the value of what that 30% is paying for, I think Sweeney is talking through his ass there.

But I do agree with him that Apple's vice-like grip on the iOS app ecosystem is wrong and they need to be forced to open the platform up.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Considering there's lots of competition on PC, and no one's really budging on 30% when customers see the value of what that 30% is paying for, I think Sweeney is talking through his ass there.

But I do agree with him that Apple's vice-like grip on the iOS app ecosystem is wrong and they need to be forced to open the platform up.
Absolutely. The same is true for all walled gardens.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The problem is the same old thing with Sweeney. He is saying something true about others, but then that also makes him a hypocrite when it comes to his own practices.
He's also tries his hardest to generalize those problems. If his issue is with how Apple operates their iOS environment, great. I generally agree, it's one of Apple's worst traits as a company. But that same situation does't apply beyond Apple really, where the is no benefit from devs giving up that cut.
Steam isn't on a closed platform controlled by Valve, it provides a feature rich client that isn't even mandatory and is one that brings with it several useful features sets that devs merely plug into (this simplifies things, but it's a lot easier to code to an API than build everything form scratch). That on top of all the other store-related things Valve takes a bath on like steam wallet cards various payment methods.

If he wants to go after all closed garden's im sure Richard Stalman and the GNU foundation would love to have him

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Shitpost articles get higher engagement and views, no surprise. Or maybe he's just really that out of touch. Neither paints a flattering picture of his professionalism.
Indeed. In either case this article is yet more evidence of the industry's utter contempt for its audience. Anything other than buying and shutting up is apparently unacceptable.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Total Warhammer 3 could become EGS exclusive?

A long planned for goal and major feature for Access we’re working on is the ability for you to link your different store accounts through it, so TW games and DLC you buy in one store will transfer to the others. This means that, for example, you can buy a game in one place, and then take advantage of a DLC sale in another. Plus, play multiplayer with people on different platforms. We’re working on it with our retail partners at the moment and we’ll let you know when we’ve more to share.

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Total Warhammer 3 could become EGS exclusive?

[Hidden content]
Didn’t CA say they were planning on releasing their future titles on both EGS and Steam with no exclusivity and that Troy was a one time thing?

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
i am pretty sure that they took Troy as a experiment even from the releasing side and that WH3 should be save from exclusivity deals .
The said it was experiment and there was no decisions regarding future games (yet) or something like that.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
How do you get "we're going to let you buy a game once and play it on every client" as "is game x going EGS exclusive"? I honestly think people speculating over unannounced games being EGS exclusive is exactly what Epic wants. They want people to think it could be any game, and normalise that kind of behaviour and numb the negative reactions in the process.

It's best to just wait until a game is announced as EGS exclusive before even discussing it in that context. Epic doesn't even cross my mind when I'm excited for a game, at least until they snap it up. I was worried about Shenmue III before Ys Net and Deep Silver revealed they had fucked their fans over, and it wound me up a treat when they finally dropped the bad news. It's just not good for you.

And frankly, what they're saying about buying a game once is actually the way it should be. If Epic are going to go insane with coupons again, and I can buy a game there and see it activate on Steam, that's an overall excellent thing for PC gamers. Also vice versa - it'd be great if my Steam library was "backed up" in another library (as I've done with redeeming my Steam library on GOG), and that should the service ever cease, at least I haven't lost my games.

Sega is obviously looking at going multi-store, and why wouldn't they? They've been putting their games on Window Store for Game Pass, and I don't see why they wouldn't just release their game on any store that lets them at this point. Troy's exclusivity is, so far, a one-off. And it probably has more to do with interest in the game being behind other Total War games at this point than anything else. I mean, I don't play the TW games, but I know of them. I know when a new one is announced. I didn't even know Troy was a thing.

Epic paid them to release it for free, which is probably a pretty good way of generating interest in the game.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Indeed. In either case this article is yet more evidence of the industry's utter contempt for its audience. Anything other than buying and shutting up is apparently unacceptable.
Well said. Though fortunately that is not the whole industry. Quiet people do great work with the consumer in mind.

I just wish more were at Microsoft. This company worries me more and more and the discourse surrounding then is so filled with fans (or astrotufers, hard to tell the difference) that I am genuinely concerned for the future of the PC from an OS and distribution model standpoint.

GamePass is nice but it made both subscriptions normal and completely shoved UWP into people's face and nobody says a thing. I worry.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
How do you get "we're going to let you buy a game once and play it on every client" as "is game x going EGS exclusive"?
Because WH1,2&3 share content, without this it would've been "impossible". But getting Troy free on Steam after a year is far more interesting part.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Well said. Though fortunately that is not the whole industry. Quiet people do great work with the consumer in mind.

I just wish more were at Microsoft. This company worries me more and more and the discourse surrounding then is so filled with fans (or astrotufers, hard to tell the difference) that I am genuinely concerned for the future of the PC from an OS and distribution model standpoint.

GamePass is nice but it made both subscriptions normal and completely shoved UWP into people's face and nobody says a thing. I worry.
GamePass isn't the first time this model has existed on PC. Hell Gamefly was a much better implementation form a usability standpoint, but it didn't have Microsoft behind it, and in time folded. So long as Microsoft don't circle the proverbial wagons again and leave other stores, let them try their own thing.
It's part of the PC being an open platform - different models will bubble up but not every one of them will flourish. That's the problem with EGS (besides how skeletal the store/client are) - it's model exists at the expense of all other stores.

Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
GamePass isn't the first time this model has existed on PC. Hell Gamefly was a much better implementation form a usability standpoint, but it didn't have Microsoft behind it, and in time folded. So long as Microsoft don't circle the proverbial wagons again and leave other stores, let them try their own thing.
It's part of the PC being an open platform - different models will bubble up but not every one of them will flourish. That's the problem with EGS (besides how skeletal the store/client are) - it's model exists at the expense of all other stores.
I agree. The problem is that gamepass is being used as an excuse to MS raising the prices on FS2020 and terrible regional pricing, citing it as an alternative... Which it should not be.

It is a different model entirely which should not be treated as a backup when the others fail to function. The discourse around it has stopped treating it as such, which worries me.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have just finished the first episode of the sitcom. It was roughly 40 minutes long. It is a mash-up of genres, like Pony Island or The Hex. It takes place in a game studio who has to deal with fans who want to cancel the game for featuring a tiger shark instead of a white shark. The situations are very absurd. It is not as clever and interesting as Pony Island or The Hex though.

I have then tried to launch Sludge Life... and the game won't start at all. :boomer: :wtf:

Reactions: Alexandros

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Things got interesting!👀

Who I'm kidding? This gonna amount for nothing.:shrugblob:

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I'm sure Timmy "free market American exceptionalism" Sweeney fully supports this

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I'm sure this won't amount to anything. Not only for Epic, but basically any non-Chinese based company owned or operating under Tencent directly. So like, Riot will be fine, Funcom will be fine, any other industry tencent dabbles in. Trump and his economic team has little actual business acumen to make this effective. This is more about racism and general attacks on China than anything else

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I'm sure this won't amount to anything. Not only for Epic, but basically any non-Chinese based company owned or operating under Tencent directly. So like, Riot will be fine, Funcom will be fine, any other industry tencent dabbles in. Trump and his economic team has little actual business acumen to make this effective. This is more about racism and general attacks on China than anything else
This is how I feel about it. I actually wish legislators went after Tencent because it is a very scary company, doing morally questionable things, and has its sights on being a monopoly in digital entertainment and social media.

But all Trump is doing is banging the racist anti-China drum, and he's never going to get congress or other nations to go along with this so long as that's what it's about.

Futaleufu

Laughing Chojin
Mar 14, 2019
Nothing about racism, everything about hegemony.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Pretty sure Gearbox could but just don't really think about egs anymore.
Well Godfall is published by Gearbox and is EGSxclusive, so they do care about EGS somewhat, but I guess they care more about the moneybag from the exclusive deal than the Epic Store itself. :p

But yeah, Im unsure if EGS backend supports free weekend, it does support closed and open betas, so they might work differently.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
This sounded like a good idea on paper... But the trailer looks like UNFUNNY garbage. There is nothing worse than a game that thinks it is funny but isn't. It's not going to get me to install EGS.
Pretty much.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I bet Gearbox would have to program it.
I guess that'd too much work for them, and a risky one. What if they accidentally allow people to claim the full game instead of just for the weekend? What if it revokes everyone license instead after the event ends? These can totally happen with EGS.

• Toucan
Reactions: LEANIJA

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I guess that'd too much work for them, and a risky one. What if they accidentally allow people to claim the full game instead of just for the weekend? What if it revokes everyone license instead after the event ends? These can totally happen with EGS.
I mean think about it. A guy tried to give a free weekend on EGS and Trump bans Tencent :sweeneyfence:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
No offense but if any y'all wanna gaslight Tim, best to take screenshot of his tweet and put the link to that tweet in CODE

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I am sure the companies under Tencent's tutelage will adhere to the law TO THE LETTER.
Meaning: you won't make transactions with Tencent, just the American sub-company.