News Epic Games Store

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
It's good that Alan Wake 2 is happening for fans of the first. I personally thought it was a mediocre game at best. But I still would have given the second a chance had it not been stuck on EGS.

They deserve no pat on the back or a 'good job' until a point comes that they stop with the third party exclusivity nonsense. Only at that point and only if they show they'll no longer moneyhat games in the future will I consider creating another account to purchase anything they're publishing.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Well I was talking about over the years, they have had 10 years to get AW 2 funded, nothing happened until Epic publishing became a thing.
And I'm talking about Epic being the only way, there were more offers to fund the game since there was more confidence in Remedy :slightly-smiling-face:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Isn't it interesting that this AW2 talk is being more active not only here but elsewhere (because of consoles too, btw) than the KH release on PC? that went radio silent at a very high speed, damn god. Square, the strategist.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Sometimes I feel like Im one of the few people on the planet who cares about AW 2. :(
Ha definitely not :p I bought it when it was on 360 with that nice collectors edition

Then the expansion, and then also bought it again on PC. Remedy have always made games that appeal to me.

And yeah as I said, obviously I would love AW2 on GOG,Steam etc...
but this would have been another option that I would be fine with when they started the store, putting in the money to get games made, same reason I would never be upset if portal 2 didn't go to Epic store, or Battlefield to steam.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Ha definitely not :p I bought it when it was on 360 with that nice collectors edition

Then the expansion, and then also bought it again on PC. Remedy have always made games that appeal to me.

And yeah as I said, obviously I would love AW2 on GOG,Steam etc...
but this would have been another option that I would be fine with when they started the store, putting in the money to get games made, same reason I would never be upset if portal 2 didn't go to Epic store, or Battlefield to steam.
I also bought the collectors edition for my X360. :)

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I have that edition too. I don't care about AW no more. Didn't even play American Nightmare even though I bought that as well on a couple different platforms. Good luck to them.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Isn't it interesting that this AW2 talk is being more active not only here but elsewhere (because of consoles too, btw) than the KH release on PC? that went radio silent at a very high speed, damn god. Square, the strategist.
KH hitting PC should be a massive fucking deal just like Persona was and yet all I hear are crickets

I wonder why

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
KH hitting PC should be a massive fucking deal just like Persona was and yet all I hear are crickets

I wonder why
RIGHT??!? I still fucking remember P4G arriving to PC, it was a full week of people playing, reaching new milestones and lots of users praising the fact that it arrived.

Here? only the praising but nothing about the talk nor nothing. :crying-face:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It's been known for about a year that Epic was publishing the next two Remedy games and Alan Wake is a cult classic. AW2 being Epic published is like the least exciting news around.

One interesting note is that Outriders is in 12th place on EGS while it it currently 1st place on Steam. It gives a small hint as to how multistore releases fare on EGS.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
One interesting note is that Outriders is in 12th place on EGS while it it currently 1st place on Steam. It gives a small hint as to how multistore releases fare on EGS.
No it doesn't, keep in mind that this is manually done, they can put Outriders wherever they want and the same goes to any other product, the fact that Outriders appeared in the first version of top 25 in one position, then 3 days later dissappeared and then appears again doesn't give me any hint about how it is doing, which is sad because as you said, we could have amazing metric for multistore releases, oh well.

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
RIGHT??!? I still fucking remember P4G arriving to PC, it was a full week of people playing, reaching new milestones and lots of users praising the fact that it arrived.

I really hope this means that the majority of pc gamers actually voted with their wallets against this greed (EGS exclusive + absurd pricing).

If that's true, Epic must be furious right now because they must have paid a huge sum to get these games exclusively on their store. They can inflate sales by doing another round of coupons, but that will cost them even more money.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I don't have an issue with Epic funding games from the ground up and releasing them on EGS (even though I believe that these games will also be released on Steam). I still won't buy anything from them unless they stop moneyhatting games and commit to competing in a way that is beneficial to customers.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I really hope this means that the majority of pc gamers actually voted with their wallets against this greed (EGS exclusive + absurd pricing).
Well, have you seen any pro-active talking about KH on PC communities or in general outside the announcements? because if you did you must have been lucky as hell, I have NO DOUBTS that some of the hardcore fans jumped in (or even media to make some comments of the ports but this is understandable if SE doesn't provide codes for press) but overall I don't think it made any impact, as you said, what could have been an stunningly huge release was completely destroyed by a few factors:

1- abusive pricing (even if it's the same on PS and Xbox digital stores, it's absurd to charge 230€ for this collection in 2021 anywhere).
2- locking it behind a digital storefront most people only use to get free content and don't really invest on it when it comes to purchases.
3- radio silent from Square Enix who didn't promote the ports at all aside of the KH twitter account that posted 1 or 2 tweets a day, but c'mon, that's it? not even press got codes prior the release.

You will probably see in early 2022 how the KH games are probably in the top 10 best sellers of the store with the yearly numbers, but, does that says anything to you? Godfall was best seller last year and we know that game bombed, so.... and SE loves to share numbers so, if we don't hear a thing, it's easy to say that it's probably selling really poorly.

If that's true, Epic must be furious right now because they must have paid a huge sum to get these games exclusively on their store. They can inflate sales by doing another round of coupons, but that will cost them even more money.
They have a virtually infinite source of money and their main objective was pretty clear since day 1, they only want to keep the games out of Steam for some time in order to not gain popularity (if they do, that's cool for them) but to reduce the size of Steam (which frankly, it hasn't happened and won't happen because natural progression exists and you can't change the balance of things like that) so, angry? don't think so, if they were they would have stopped doing this as I guessed in my 2020 report and yet here we are, they are still paying millions to get a timed exclusivity in order to not release some strategic games on Steam.

• Love
Reactions: Ge0force

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

It was always the Steam community that was begging Square to put KH games on PC for the past 6 0r 7 years. It was never EGS community.

Most people log into Steam to shop around the store while most people who log into EGS do it to play Fortnite and don't bother with everything else.

Its a big difference and P4G really shows it. Not to mention the absurd pricing for the KH collection.

Square is never capable of reading the room. They never listen to fans just do their own dumb shit. And watch them do the same thing with FF7R :negative-blob:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Well, at least is nice bit of irony that the same "greed" that made Square take the EGS moneyhat also made them put those absurd prices and really hurt this release. And while we will probably never see any numbers, giving a last minute 20% discount including having to make a partial refund for pre-orders does not point to a very successful launch :p

Too bad they also keep making games I would like to play otherwise...

Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Also Sweeney/EGS fucked up too with this deal imo. They are always careless with the moneyhats and don't think things through because they just want to hurt Steam.

The smart thing to do with this type of deal was to make the first KH game free to everyone for a week on EGS while heavily discounting the rest of the games. And maybe just do KH3 at full or near full price. That would have been a better way to introduce people to the series and not ask so much money for old games. They throw around so much money they could have easily pulled it off too.

Hopefully Square put the whole collection on Steam for under 60$ next year.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
No it doesn't, keep in mind that this is manually done, they can put Outriders wherever they want and the same goes to any other product, the fact that Outriders appeared in the first version of top 25 in one position, then 3 days later dissappeared and then appears again doesn't give me any hint about how it is doing, which is sad because as you said, we could have amazing metric for multistore releases, oh well.
Galyonkin said it was sorted by revenue so I assumed as much. Also I noticed it has actually changed the past two days. For example, Outriders went from 12th to 7th yesterday to 3rd today so we might be able to finally get some rough multi store comparisons. For example, Horizon Zero Dawn is currently 2nd place on Steam while it's in 23rd place on EGS.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Galyonkin said it was sorted by revenue so I assumed as much. Also I noticed it has actually changed the past two days. For example, Outriders went from 12th to 7th yesterday to 3rd today so we might be able to finally get some rough multi store comparisons. For example, Horizon Zero Dawn is currently 2nd place on Steam while it's in 23rd place on EGS.
Their system is a complete disaster and I don't trust a thing that fella says, I will keep a track but again, the fucking hell is "random sorting" to begin with?
random sorting is literally putting whatever you want wherever you want?

You know what I think? some of those are literally direct responses to what happens on the other platform, but what do I know, right?

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
This only highlights one more thing to me - compared to the resources allocated to bagging exclusives, Epic's investment going toward the user-facing side of their store is minimal. They truly don't give a damn.
Sweeney litterally said that publishers will decide the outcome of the store wars on pc and not consumers. It's so damn sad that some people still see Epic as healthy competition, or are fine to support their business strategy.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Ok, I need to explain myself about why I'm so aggressive about this topic (not EGS but the data about EGS) mostly because I feel I was a bit too angry answering Arc and I don't want to let anyone think that I'm angry at any of you, so please, listen to me for a bit.

The ones who know me (not only from Metacouncil but different places) already know that I'm a very passionate person when it comes to data, visual progression and in general anything that provides numbers, under my own perspective numbers are the closest thing to the real truth of things, in this case, the market but also how people consume, what patters do they have and in general and how to predict the future with variables and calculus.

Steam weekly chart has very specific rules and I know exactly when to check them, Sunday at 17:00pm, EVERY SUNDAY, and then I do my picture, my analysis and I happy because I can talk about something I love, data, but when it comes to this ecosystem, things not only are not easy but also are USELESS because I have no numbers, no metrics, no way of scaling the positions, and if that wasn't enough now it comes that fella and says it was sorted "randomly" and that fucking burns me because he might be thinking "this people are stupid, they will believe anything" and NO, DUDE, NO FUCKING WAY.

How is it random if there's a predictable pattern? how is it random if it follows a certain number of percentages of what type of games appear on each top?
oh well, that's all I guess, don't worry, be happy.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
I mean even with numbers, statistics can be super misleading on the hands of malevolent party so I see zero reason to give Epic informatics any benefit of doubt without detailed supporting data.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
You're doing a great job Mor! I understand the lack of honest information about EGS is frustrating for you, but that scummy company isn't worth getting angry about. The fact that they manipulate the top sellers list proves that things aren't going too well for them, which is great news for all of us. And for the open nature of pc gaming in general. 🙂

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
This is what happens when the store takes a smaller cut. Developers and publishers need to pick up the slack in terms of features and support when they release on the EGS. They can't just have the 88% of the revenue and absolve themselves of the increased responsibility, which I guess is what a lot of them were thinking when they saw EGS.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Why would anyone buy a game on Epic when it's available on Steam ? I'm drawing a blank here.
In most cases it's because the monetary deal is better from base or sale (regional pricing or final price in said currency is way better deal than on Steam) and some others because they like the ecosystm, they still have coupons, etc...

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Why would anyone buy a game on Epic when it's available on Steam ? I'm drawing a blank here.
There are those people that say 'I don't like Steam, its got too many features, its bloated. I like the simplicity of Eggs'.....