News Epic Games Store

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Why would Epic invite someone from Valve to talk about EGS? That doesn't make any sense. Too bad we couldn't see the email and hear DJ Powers opinion after the meeting.
My guess is it was likely an industry presentation to unveil their plans to launch the store. They generate industry buzz which differs from other sorts of buzz from media presentations focused at journalists.

Those sort of meetings are pretty common in other industries I am more aware of like the one I am in now, so I assume it occurs a lot behind the scenes in the gaming industry. Inviting representatives from many different companies, even competing companies can be normal since the industry talks anyway and competitors will be finding out as soon as someone texts someone the details during the presentation or leaks all the slides later.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

Sony dumped another $200 million into Epic. I remember a lot of concerns about future PS ports being EGS exclusive after their first round of funding last year and it hasn't materialized yet so it's probably nothing to get too worried about yet.
It could be only about Fortnite.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I came across this article that discusses the onboarding process for EGS.

It currently seems extremely difficult to get onto the store right now since Epic is hand picking games. At the same time, if you're one of the lucky few that's chosen, it looks like Epic does a lot in terms of promotion for you. I have to wonder how this strategy will change when Epic is supposed to open up the store more broadly.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman
Dec 5, 2018
Your game must synergize well with the rest of the EGS catalogue. And it's much more complicated than "games that look like other games" — to be honest, that's a half-solution at best. The way I see it, Epic Games chooses new titles that can successfully be placed side-by-side in their catalogue (and in the EGS launcher). If a player is already actively playing one of the games in the lineup, the other titles in the lineup need to catch their attention as well. And it was not lost on us that EGS has Fortnite–their strongest title to date, with an immense teenage and young-adult audience, and a slew of streamers.
It feels like I'm reading about 10 years ago when there was a lot of gatekeeping and everyone complained.

I know it's not 100% the same, but I don't know if it's the best strategy in 2021.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
EGS has garnered a devoted audience by setting high standards for the content it provides, which is hand-picked to create a "boutique" experience for gamers. The store offers impressive potential for marketing and PR, which is partially generated by the folks at Epic Games themselves.
Sorry, having a hard time reading the rest of the article after this line

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It feels like I'm reading about 10 years ago when there was a lot of gatekeeping and everyone complained.

I know it's not 100% the same, but I don't know if it's the best strategy in 2021.
I remember a bunch of complaints against Steam during that time where it was near impossible to get onto the store before Valve started Greenlight and then opened the floodgates (and the subsequent complaints about poor discoverability). Epic has promised up opening their floodgates this year with the self-publishing tools, but I have to wonder how they will balance their current boutique model with it.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
It was around 2011 and 2012 that folks starting complaining more about Steam rejecting their game. The most notable example was Mutant Mudds:

This kicked off a wave of discussion which lead to Steam Greenlight in that same year just two months later.

Honestly, I do not know what folks expected Valve to do. With the indie renaissance, there were a ton of projects hoping to have a chance to sell to a wide audience. By allowing more onto the store, it meant they would receive their chance, but that was always going to mean more failures.

I do like Steam Direct way better than Greenlight though. I think folks have this idea that Valve could sort through the games and would magically know a low quality title when they see it, but we already went down that path, games were blocked, and it got us here. I mean look at a game like Cruelty Squad. I do not think some game store reviewer could have looked at that game and said there was an audience for it, yet the audience is there.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Honestly, I do not know what folks expected Valve to do. With the indie renaissance, there were a ton of projects hoping to have a chance to sell to a wide audience. By allowing more onto the store, it meant they would receive their chance, but that was always going to mean more failures.

I do like Steam Direct way better than Greenlight though. I think folks have this idea that Valve could sort through the games and would magically know a low quality title when they see it, but we already went down that path, games were blocked, and it got us here. I mean look at a game like Cruelty Squad. I do not think some game store reviewer could have looked at that game and said there was an audience for it, yet the audience is there.
The ugly truth is that many indie arguing this wants to be picked above the others and rack it in with a "curated" store. I get the desire to make it, I truly do, but the rationale for curation is blind to those that get rejected, selfish and doesn't see beyond their own self-interest.

Epic is just a big box filled with money that a few people will get to enjoy, but it isn't a model for the industry. What Valve did with Steam Direct was and remains the right thing to do by everyone and the wider industry.

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
There's a good reason why I mentioned the EGS "boutique" approach to game selection. If you browse through the store's catalogue and peruse the exclusive games (including the timed releases), you'll notice a clear trend: Paranoia: Happiness Is Mandatory, Bee Simulator, RollerCoaster Tycoon Adventures, Omen of Sorrow, Rune II, and Godfall — one top-notch title follows another.

Dec 5, 2018
There's a good reason why I mentioned the EGS "boutique" approach to game selection. If you browse through the store's catalogue and peruse the exclusive games (including the timed releases), you'll notice a clear trend: Paranoia: Happiness Is Mandatory, Bee Simulator, RollerCoaster Tycoon Adventures, Omen of Sorrow, Rune II, and Godfall — one top-notch title follows another.
One of those games disappeared without anybody noticing for over a month.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Did any more information ever come out for Paranoia? A quick search does not seem to reveal anything.

After the mess of issues Frogware has had, I cannot gave Nacon, formerly Bigben, any benefit of the doubt.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Wait... did they change that text or I'm missing the joke here :p
There's a good reason why I mentioned the EGS "boutique" approach to game selection. If you browse through the store's catalogue and peruse the exclusive games (including the timed releases), you'll notice a clear trend: Metro Exodus, The Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3 — one top-notch title follows another. But not all of them are expensive triple-A games, either. In fact, Satisfactory, John Wick Hex and Hades are all examples of indie projects with smaller budgets, yet they were all initially released as EGS exclusives.
While it could be an interesting article because it's about a game that's not exclusive, there is way too many cringe things on it. For example:
The easiest way to earn your place on the EGS marketplace is to have someone vouch for you–and there are several ways to be noticed, as I mentioned above. Do not, however, spam mailboxes or send pitches to several people at once: this strategy will win you nothing but resentment. Your best chance is if someone else introduces you to an Epic Games representative directly: this will provide context for your company and title. And since the EGS catalogue is a hand-picked selection of games, content is key.
So... you best bet to get through the curation is to know someone inside.... which is exactly the thing people bitched about Valve/Steam before. In the end, it's still the old same story, a lot of small developers hate curation when they are left out, and love if they are lucky enough to get in.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Just a joke on the whole idea of EGS being a "boutique, highly curated selection of nothing but the hits."
Yup... just my dumb ass self as always. Still, the article is so partial that it could actually be those games on the list :)

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
So... you best bet to get through the curation is to know someone inside.... which is exactly the thing people bitched about Valve/Steam before. In the end, it's still the old same story, a lot of small developers hate curation when they are left out, and love if they are lucky enough to get in.
It's also so gross to think that if you made a game, you'd have to go jump through hoops and kiss the ass of some jackass clown to try and get in a store. This is the kind of crap that's tailor made for the "always hustling" culture that seems to be dominating now.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
A boutique, highly curated selection of games you cannot find because discovery on the store is dogshit.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This developer openly admitted to courting Epic to get their game as an exclusive, so what this article tells me is they're schmoozing Epic to get their next one as an exclusive instead.
And that already points out the problem with "curation". Is it about quality anymore when this sort of behavior gets them exclusives?

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Oh, so the article is satire. Got it.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Someone on Reddit pointed this out:
"This does not necessarily mean Hitman 3 sold 300% better than previous entries. Since IO self publishes Hitman 3, their margin per unit is better so it is possible for example that the sales are up 150% while IO's revenue from sales is up 300% because they keep twice as much per unit sold as compared to previous games."

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Someone on Reddit pointed this out:
"This does not necessarily mean Hitman 3 sold 300% better than previous entries. Since IO self publishes Hitman 3, their margin per unit is better so it is possible for example that the sales are up 150% while IO's revenue from sales is up 300% because they keep twice as much per unit sold as compared to previous games."
Is this extra revenue calculated using only store sales to customers or is the epic moneybag also taken in consideration in this calculation (they are guaranteed sales after all)?

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Is this extra revenue calculated using only store sales to customers or is the epic moneybag also taken in consideration in this calculation (they are guaranteed sales after all)?
In the article it doesn't make mention of the Epic deal. Don't know for sure if it's factored in or not.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
From what I understand Epic basically pre-buys copies when you make a game an Epic exclusive so it probably includes those "sales".

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Two EGSclusive's I've been eyeing lately are Before We Leave and Old World, both will see their exclusivity deal expiring next month.

Now, here's the thing. BWL developers have been talking about the Steam release as they should. It's a niche game, the bigger the community, the better and releasing it on Steam will definitely help it grow. Anyway, earlier this month they confirmed once again their release date on Steam, and also confirmed that the Steam drop will come with an updated introducing new gameplay elements and achievements. Great.

Old World, in the other hand, doesn't have any news on that front. Developers are giving bland "who knows laughing emoji" replies on Twitter when they are asked about a Steam release. To no one's surprise, though, the game looks super dead. On its subreddit, the three most recent posts are from 1) today 2) three days ago 3) five days ago. Let's not forget that while not totally related, Humankind release was delayed. Perfect time to announce a Steam release and make their game visible for once. And yet the developers insist on the "Time will tell if and/or when we will be on Steam." answer. Fuck that.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Old World, in the other hand, doesn't have any news on that front. Developers are giving bland "who knows laughing emoji" replies on Twitter when they are asked about a Steam release. To no one's surprise, though, the game looks super dead. On its subreddit, the three most recent posts are from 1) today 2) three days ago 3) five days ago. Let's not forget that while not totally related, Humankind release was delayed. Perfect time to announce a Steam release and make their game visible for once. And yet the developers insist on the "Time will tell if and/or when we will be on Steam." answer. Fuck that.
yeah, definitely makes me want to buy the game when it inevitably comes to steam next month

:rolleyes:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
After the upfront eggs payout don't the games have to reach a certain sales threshold before the devs/publishers get any payment for copies sold? So they would be much better off promoting the Steam versions (other stores are available) as they get paid for each copy there? Is that the case?

If so why wouldn't they be shouting about an upcoming non-eggs exclusive release? Maybe some aren't allowed to in their contract?

Reactions: MJunioR

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
In the article it doesn't make mention of the Epic deal. Don't know for sure if it's factored in or not.
The article mentioned isn't even the original source, gameindustry.biz interview with IOI is the source, I have no idea what the dev says there though, I don't even watch half min long videos, no way in hell I'm watching a 40 min one lol

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
The article mentioned isn't even the original source, gameindustry.biz interview with IOI is the source, I have no idea what the dev says there though, I don't even watch half min long videos, no way in hell I'm watching a 40 min one lol

Unless I missed something, dev doesn't say anything other than 300%. They attributed improvement to decision to release in January.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
IOI really puzzles me. I respect their work but taking EGS exclusivity deals and making their game's most prominent features always-online leaves a hell of a bad taste in my mouth. Not getting anywhere near that, Superbunnyhop praise or not.

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
IOI really puzzles me. I respect their work but taking EGS exclusivity deals and making their game's most prominent features always-online leaves a hell of a bad taste in my mouth. Not getting anywhere near that, Superbunnyhop praise or not.
I think the EGS deal + importing levels issue made people rethink their opinions of IOI. Before publishers were blamed for the bad decisions in Hitman. SE was blamed for always-online for that and then for WB there was the issue with convoluted editions. Makes you wonder if the problems were with the publishers at all considering Hitman is still always-online. Their recent 7 sins dlc seems to scream greed as well since it seems like it is only 7 escalations + some unlockables.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Huh, non-committal response from Old World is super disappointing since I checked the game and noticed it's from Soren Johnson. Civilization 4 is my most liked 4X game and I appreciated what Offworld Trading Company was trying to do (although I haven't played much due to it being RTS instead of turn-based game). Eh whatever, it'll have to come to Steam eventually and I can still satisfy my 4X needs with Civ4 and Stellaris.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
After the upfront eggs payout don't the games have to reach a certain sales threshold before the devs/publishers get any payment for copies sold? So they would be much better off promoting the Steam versions (other stores are available) as they get paid for each copy there? Is that the case?

If so why wouldn't they be shouting about an upcoming non-eggs exclusive release? Maybe some aren't allowed to in their contract?
It's possible. I imagine that any announcement of an imminent Steam release completely kills whatever trickle of sales exists up to that point so I wouldn't be surprised if Epic added some sort of clause to more recent contracts to discourage announcing the Steam release ahead of time.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
Companies in general try not to piss of business partners clause or not clause, it's honestly never wise even if you're not legally bound, especially in an industry that's as shifting and volatile as this tbh.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Companies in general try not to piss of business partners clause or not clause, it's honestly never wise even if you're not legally bound, especially in an industry that's as shifting and volatile as this tbh.
That's understandable. But I'm not sure pissing off consumers is a great idea either. Many devs who took Epic's money were clear and open about it and stated their game would come to Steam 12 months later. I don't see why other devs couldn't do this as well.