News Epic Games Store

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
If Epic really shifted to the business of destroying Steamworks, I think they will at least release small multiplayer games on Steam, to cement EOS, I say that for the fact that they already switched Fall Guys to EOS and didn't remove it from Steam, everything that gets big enough they will remove it, like Rocket League.

Reactions: m_dorian

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Release a few "trojan horse" multiplayer games to harvest Steam account links and say you have Steam users migrating to Epic?
There we go, that's the level of petty i expected.

Reactions: sidebuster

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I wonder if EGP titles will ever come to Steam. Before the GeForce Now leak, I would have said "no way", but the fact there was an entry for Alan Wake Remastered makes me reconsider my initial stance. I guess we'll see in about 9 months.
Keep in mind that, if they indeed end up coming they might not be 1 year but maybe more.

Reactions: Arc

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
The dichotomy of Epic as Publisher and Store Front will be interesting going forward.

As a store owner throwing cash at developers and publishers they only have to think about one thing, getting those eyes on the store. With those eyes on the store they can hope people will register an account and maybe spend some cash.

However as a Publisher they have slightly bigger commitments. Yes they will be financing the developer to make a game for them. But you realistacly want to be looking to recoup that money. and you want to be looking out for your developers You want to be getting that game out to as many people as possible. If they are being sensible (yes I know Timmy is involved in this) they will be looking to get this in front off as many eyes as possible. That means getting in to as many stores as possible.

However this is Epic and I honestly think they would cut their nose off to spite their face. However it is less riskey for them (I would imagine publishing games is a major risk) seeing as console sales could theoretically compensate for them going exclusive on their own store.

TL;DR as a store you want eyes on the store and maybe the games. as a publisher you want eyes on the game in every way possible.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The dichotomy of Epic as Publisher and Store Front will be interesting going forward.

As a store owner throwing cash at developers and publishers they only have to think about one thing, getting those eyes on the store. With those eyes on the store they can hope people will register an account and maybe spend some cash.

However as a Publisher they have slightly bigger commitments. Yes they will be financing the developer to make a game for them. But you realistacly want to be looking to recoup that money. and you want to be looking out for your developers You want to be getting that game out to as many people as possible. If they are being sensible (yes I know Timmy is involved in this) they will be looking to get this in front off as many eyes as possible. That means getting in to as many stores as possible.

However this is Epic and I honestly think they would cut their nose off to spite their face. However it is less riskey for them (I would imagine publishing games is a major risk) seeing as console sales could theoretically compensate for them going exclusive on their own store.

TL;DR as a store you want eyes on the store and maybe the games. as a publisher you want eyes on the game in every way possible.
This. I assume they'll try to recoup some of their EGS losses with console sales, but eventually as a publisher they need to make more profit than their store alone will provide and they'll release on other pc storefronts. I expect they'll likely stealth drop a few after initial EGS exclusive periods, as I don't see them being big on the promotional front, unless it's "OMG X game has a thing in FortNite!" like they do now.

There is just no way they can publish on PC and NOT drop those titles elsewhere and actually make money. EGS, as we've seen just does not have a paying customer install base big enough to recoup entire development cycle/publishing/promo costs on its own, and eventually even their head-up-their-own-ass PR team/Tim will have to come around.

Also, since at least with their current bigger deals, the dev's seem to own the IP, those devs could release it elsewhere eventually once their publishing agreements end

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020

It will be interesting, and as I mentioned last year, Epic will be a direct competitor to the other publishers. What this means right now is hard to say and it may amount to nothing. Technically, they compete already on live service titles, but this is narrower. Valve has maintained a relatively neutral relationship with the industry from its tooling to its hardware and a very narrow first-party development that is nowhere on the level of impact that other publishers or developers would see as encroaching in their space.

Epic definitely sees its publishing arm as the means by which they make themselves more profitable, or rather, less costly, since they still have a long ways to go to earn back their cumulative losses. Though judging on the amounts they are throwing around for these first published titles (e.g. Rumbleverse is apparently at $50M by reports), it makes me wonder if they are not setting themselves up for an even more costly endeavour. Though knowing Epic, they probably are banking on having some hits and those alone will keep the whole thing afloat.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
It will be interesting, and as I mentioned last year, Epic will be a direct competitor to the other publishers. What this means right now is hard to say and it may amount to nothing. Technically, they compete already on live service titles, but this is narrower. Valve has maintained a relatively neutral relationship with the industry from its tooling to its hardware and a very narrow first-party development that is nowhere on the level of impact that other publishers or developers would see as encroaching in their space.

Epic definitely sees its publishing arm as the means by which they make themselves more profitable, or rather, less costly, since they still have a long ways to go to earn back their cumulative losses. Though judging on the amounts they are throwing around for these first published titles (e.g. Rumbleverse is apparently at $50M by reports), it makes me wonder if they are not setting themselves up for an even more costly endeavour. Though knowing Epic, they probably are banking on having some hits and those alone will keep the whole thing afloat.
The bolded part makes me wonder who is running their finances because either it's not someone trained in the field or they have cirrhosis and live on a mountain of red pens from all the loses Epic has racked up.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
The bolded part makes me wonder who is running their finances because either it's not someone trained in the field or they have cirrhosis and live on a mountain of red pens from all the loses Epic has racked up.
It honestly makes me wonder too, it is the sort of spend in the spaces you don't always see outside of acquisitions or large scale AAA. While gaming is definitely making lots of money these days, it is doing so in very particular ways, and Epic already occupies one of the major ways so... :shrugblob:

It is entirely possible they believe the industry is going to grow in scale that today's losses will be eclipsed by tomorrow's profits. I just think as more and more investing folks start circling around gaming like they have in "recent" times, the pie everyone is after may not be able to feed/sustain everyone, even if it does get bigger year over year. I think that is partly why we are seeing more and more talks of metaverses since the idea is to try to capture all of the users within your broader ecosystem that supports all the things they do today, but with a veneer of a digital world. It is the way of trying to ensure your slice of the pie, but we will see if this really pans out.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I wonder how much they paid for Loop Hero. It recently hit a million sold on PC, and is just now hitting Switch. I imagine it has to be a pretty penny. :moneycat:

Reactions: ExistentialThought

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I wonder how much they paid for Loop Hero. It recently hit a million sold on PC, and is just now hitting Switch. I imagine it has to be a pretty penny. :moneycat:
Hopefully no one is cheaping out on what they ask from Epic these days. One of the many things learned from the Apple trial, folks should ask for more and not sell themselves short like some did.

I just never want to hear or see any remarks about the devaluation of games, especially from sales, from the broader industry ever again.

Fun blast from the past on Origin's launch which includes talking about Steam sales

"We won't be doing that. Obviously they think it's the right thing to do after a certain amount of time. I just think it cheapens your intellectual property. "

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Has Epic put any of their own games/ip on sale since starting EGS? There are all kinds are linguistic hoops they can jump through going forward to still make those claims

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Hopefully no one is cheaping out on what they ask from Epic these days. One of the many things learned from the Apple trial, folks should ask for more and not sell themselves short like some did.

I just never want to hear or see any remarks about the devaluation of games, especially from sales, from the broader industry ever again.

Fun blast from the past on Origin's launch which includes talking about Steam sales

"We won't be doing that. Obviously they think it's the right thing to do after a certain amount of time. I just think it cheapens your intellectual property. "
I seem to remember Timmy making the same arguments about sales cheapening games and that EGS wouldn’t be going down that route.

then on their first sale went down that same route and didn’t ask if developers wanted to be a part of it.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I seem to remember Timmy making the same arguments about sales cheapening games and that EGS wouldn’t be going down that route.

then on their first sale went down that same route and didn’t ask if developers wanted to be a part of it.
For every argument Timmy makes there's probably another tweet of his where he says the opposite.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Did anyone manage to make Steam Overlay work with FF VII Remake? I only played for a few minutes but on my specs ( GTX 1060, i7-8750H, 16 GB RAM) it is a stuttery mess. I will have to tweak it in a few days after I beat Mass Effect Andromeda because it's unplayable in its current state.

• Sad
Reactions: Ge0force

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018

I think it was something about not doing these seasonal mega sales because then the games that don't participate have difficulty competing for people's attention with the discounted games. So the solution* was obviously to include all games that cost $15 or more whether they want it or not via the coupons :face-with-stuck-out-tongue:

* games under $15 don't matter.

Reactions: thekeats1999

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Did anyone manage to make Steam Overlay work with FF VII Remake? I only played for a few minutes but on my specs ( GTX 1060, i7-8750H, 16 GB RAM) it is a stuttery mess. I will have to tweak it in a few days after I beat Mass Effect Andromeda because it's unplayable in its current state.
Why would you buy that pile of crap for that insane price tag?

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Regarding Epic Online Services, in theory I don't have an issue with it but I haven't played any games that use it yet. I assume there is some sort of Epic fuckery behind the scenes?

Reactions: m_dorian

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Regarding Epic Online Services, in theory I don't have an issue with it but I haven't played any games that use it yet. I assume there is some sort of Epic fuckery behind the scenes?
Telemetry is my main issue with it. I don't like that games are implementing it years after the fact even on non EGS games. I Don't consent in giving my data to Epic.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
Epic really needs to allow you to hide games in your library.

If you download a demo, or free play weekend game, it remains sitting in your library. It’s kinda annoying me.

• Toucan

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
1. The main goal is to have devs stop using Steamworks
2. It's a legal way for them to skim all your personal data (for, you know, anti-cheat purposes)
3. Whenever there's a big Fortnite update, EOS servers are down, meaning you can't play any of the games using that.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
1. The main goal is to have devs stop using Steamworks
2. It's a legal way for them to skim all your personal data (for, you know, anti-cheat purposes)
3. Whenever there's a big Fortnite update, EOS servers are down, meaning you can't play any of the games using that.
I see even a longer route with them going a la Ubisoft, just need a Epic account to play, then some time latter ask for EGS to be open if you want to play the game on steam, then when opportunity arises, drop Steam altogether if they can.

With all the data stuff just added on top

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Apparently AWS is down and it took Epic (and like half the internet) down with it.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

It looks like FF7 Remake has always on DRM, so the pirated copy is technically superior.

I think it depends on game. Tomb Raiders were made always online at beginning, but I think it was changed later.
I think it depends on how the developers implement it. I have some games installed with EOS (Hades and Griftlands) that work perfectly fine offline, but I know whoever implemented EOS for the Tomb Raider games botched it and accidentally gave it an always on requirement (although this was supposedly fixed). As someone who has a less-than-stellar internet connection that is almost guaranteed to have an outage at least once a month, I cannot stand games that have always on requirements.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I can't find any complete list, but theres a complete list of games on Steam that uses EOS:
Yeah, it is getting harder to ignore since pretty much any game that ships on EGS is pretty forced to use it if they offer any multiplayer content and are not offering up their own dedicated servers and account system. That said, a good number of those games listed do not depend on the SDK to run or operate normally, some just include it probably so they only have to ship one build to all stores (I would not be surprised if the Epic version includes the Steamworks files).

I still hope Valve works on opening up Steamworks a bit more to serve the purpose that folks switching to EOS does since really the main reason folks use it is because Epic mandates store crossplay.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
That's way more games than I thought that are using EOS. I don't understand why offline single player games requires online service
They don't, they are using EOS because of Telemetry, don't know if Epic is paying them to do so tho';

• Sad

sidebuster

Oct 3, 2021
California, USA
You can easily block EOS in your hosts file:

I used this list on my pihole's blacklist. I think I'll verify it actually works as well.

Seeing that list of steam games that use EOS makes my stomach turn.

sidebuster

Oct 3, 2021
California, USA
Let me know how it goes. I'll be adding them to my host file next chance i get
So far I tried to launch a couple games quickly and see what happens, un/fortunately non of them tried to contact any epic servers. I tried Warframe, Tomb Raider, Titan Quest Anniversary, North Guard. I might try later to launch one and try and play for an hour or something to see if it triggers, but just launching, running through menus and starting a multiplayer host match or single player didn't trigger them.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
So far I tried to launch a couple games quickly and see what happens, un/fortunately non of them tried to contact any epic servers. I tried Warframe, Tomb Raider, Titan Quest Anniversary, North Guard. I might try later to launch one and try and play for an hour or something to see if it triggers, but just launching, running through menus and starting a multiplayer host match or single player didn't trigger them.
Hopefully warframe doesnt break with this. It's the one multiplayer game I in any way frequent.

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
Got a refund for Dark Alliance and The Eternal Cylinder. Dark Alliance is a crappy overpriced bare bone port. Even asking 13,99 Euro for it is too much.
The Eternal Cylinder is cool and interesting but i'm drunk so fuck Epic and its shit store which is somehow still better than the M$ Store. Fuck M$ too!

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Played FF VII Remake for few hours. After changing it to DX11, the stutters are almost completely gone, so I'm happy that this was the only solution I needed. One issue I have observed is cracking sound in certain portions of the game. Did anyone else experienced it?

Reactions: thekeats1999

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I added the Epic domains to the blocklist in pi-hole and tried 20XX. The game seems to be functional, the multiplayer is dead. Can't load anything that's from Epic, I think. The high score was able to load, but it was from Steam servers

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
It seems r/pcgaming has added some kind of automoderator in EGS related threads that auto-hides comments. Only comments that are positive about Epic are manually restored by the mods.

Example:

I guess every method to raise EGS reputation is good enough nowadays 🙄

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
It seems r/pcgaming has added some kind of automoderator in EGS related threads that auto-hides comments. Only comments that are positive about Epic are manually restored by the mods.

Example:

Epic is wiggling its money dick around I see, the winter sale must have been a disaster for them to go all out like this.

• Sad

tuxfool

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Example:

This is a bit thin though. Going to need a bit more to go on.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
This is a bit thin though. Going to need a bit more to go on.
My own comments were immediately deleted as well. It seems the bot automatically removes every comment containing certain words (Epic, EGS etc), while only the positive comments are restored by the mods later.

I'm not sure this is merely overreacting from the mods against the negative vibes towards Epic on that sub, or actually a result of the advertising deal between Epic and Reddit. But it's some China-style censoring nonsense anyway.