News Epic Games Store

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I don't like to talk about EGS too much even though it is indeed a pressing concern in the world of PC gaming.

However, I do find it interesting that it's a powerful motivator for some of us to get through our backlogs. Pyrrhic victory?
I'm not even going through my backlog. I'm still just playing FFXIV all the time.
that's because epic's strategy
exactly ... it's the same as on the Switch ... everyone who got in there at the very beginning made bank ... now? not really ... and they already have like 2000 games on there

except the nintendo shop was in a MUCH better state than EGS is right now, after 6+ months ... even at the very beginning ...
Every new store is a goldmine when it first comes out.

PS4? Was once the indie haven.

Then it was the Switch eShop.

Now it's supposedly (but not at all) EGS.

It's just a cycle of whichever stores happen to be the most empty and easiest to signal boost on.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Seems like a new batch of new regional pricing adjustment is in order. Some games get lowered price for me, including Observation ($8.99), The Sinking City ($22.9), Pheonix Point ($14.9), and Genesis Alpha One ($10.99), Previously, they didn't have regional pricing at all.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Seems like a new batch of new regional pricing adjustment is in order. Some games get lowered price for me, including Observation ($8.99), The Sinking City ($22.9), Pheonix Point ($14.9), and Genesis Alpha One ($10.99), Previously, they didn't have regional pricing at all.
Everything is still expensive as shit here. Control is $28.99 tho

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Jesus, sales? At the 5 month mark? Just how bad are these titles doing that Sweeney and Co would go back on that line of thinking?
We've crossed into Schrodinger's Game Store territory at this point, where the entire thing is in a state of being what Epic has stated the store is and being the exact opposite simultaneously

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Maybe the penny has dropped that they need to compete to gain customers.

A positive move, but I’m still reluctant to give them any cash.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Maybe the penny has dropped that they need to compete to gain customers.

A positive move, but I’m still reluctant to give them any cash.
Yeah same, they've lost all good will I had for them, and it was alot. No game or anything with unreal engine will make me create an account there again. If it happens that egs will be the only store in town, I'll just game my backlog on steam.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Wait, Read Dead Redemption 2 will also be EGS exclusive for 6 months?

So many game In want are getting delayed lately. Even the unannounced ones.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Is this a Discord store situation? Things have not exactly worked as planned, so they are scrambling to do something to save the situation, with the added part of moneyhatting more developers/publishers to gain more ground?

Are we seeing the end of this? (Narrator: No, we're not...)

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
It's like they mostly lied to get the Devs to sign up and now just do the exact opposite of what the Devs wanted. So now they will try to get the costumers.
Who would've thought that a store needs clients to survive and that you shouldn't antagonize them or treat them as part of the problem?
Just another blatant bullshit by mister Tim "Developers will decide the success of future stores" Sweeney that gets debunked.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

2K exclusivity is 6 months for all?
Outer Worlds only 6 months exclusive then?
I think the big stand out to me here is "Well, we’re still on Steam with other titles, " which looks like a indicator to me that not every game Take Two will be releasing this year is EGS exclusive. So thats good at least?

But Outer Worlds has "The Outer Worlds will be available on Steam one year after launch on other exclusive digital PC platforms. " on the very top of the store description so the wording of the 6 month statement is weird.

Reactions: lashman

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Is this a Discord store situation? Things have not exactly worked as planned, so they are scrambling to do something to save the situation, with the added part of moneyhatting more developers/publishers to gain more ground?

Are we seeing the end of this? (No, we're not...)
I mean Discord didn't even try anything to save itself. No sales, shitty storefront UI, half of their games were only available through Nitro. They offered one single free game and that was something that looked straight out of greenlight. They promised to fix their online-only DRM but I don't think they ever got around to it. They only ever reacted when EGS got announced and they were desperate to get Indies back, cause no one will ever accept their moneyhats anymore when EGS is probably paying 10 times as much. But what they failed to know, is that all this was never ever about the percentage cut, which is why their desperate cry of 90% fell in deaf ears.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
well it's not like we've "won" just yet ;)
In the end, Valve is the only true winner.

That $10 promo is gonna be used towards forknife vbucks :v why waste it on games thatll get cheaper later and in the mean time cut into one's forknife time :v

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
A "mega" sale doesn't make them look good either way. Either it isn't "mega " as t all and has shitty discounts so it's kinda false advertisinf, or it is "mega" and they are deeply discounting games a couple of months after release after saying they won't run sales events to not devalue games.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That $10 promo is gonna be used towards forknife vbucks :v why waste it on games thatll get cheaper later and in the mean time cut into one's forknife time :v
not if they won't let people buy vbucks with that $10

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
A "mega" sale doesn't make them look good either way. Either it isn't "mega " as t all and has shitty discounts so it's kinda false advertisinf, or it is "mega" and they are deeply discounting games a couple of months after release after saying they won't run sales events to not devalue games.
Epic re-rebranding as Epic Megagames to make the sale seem less desperate?

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Epic re-rebranding as Epic Megagames to make the sale seem less desperate?
I'd watch the hell out of a Jazz Jackrabbit 3 or Jill of the Jungle 2 let's play on Youtube. Unless they release them on Steam day one, in which case I would preorder and play them myself.

Reactions: lashman

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
I think the days of "getting more exposure" by just being on EGS were the launch days. Like with Hades and so on.. But now? Nah. Nobody is discussing Close to the Sun. Most people probably don't even know the game is out (and Epic not listing release dates anywhere probably helped). Dangerous Driving also fizzled out pretty quickly.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I think the days of "getting more exposure" by just being on EGS were the launch days. Like with Hades and so on.. But now? Nah. Nobody is discussing Close to the Sun. Most people probably don't even know the game is out (and Epic not listing release dates anywhere probably helped). Dangerous Driving also fizzled out pretty quickly.
The store layout is a fucking nightmare for discoverability too. Big name games get fullscreen sized boxes while smaller games get buried under a lot of scrolling and small banners.

People being outraged/shitposting the exclusivity announcements is essentially the only "exposure" these games are getting and even that is sizzling out.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
also - how "mega" could that sale really be? they have like 30 games on there ... half of which were "free" ... and at least half of the remaining ones came out like a month ago :p
Clearly we should be falling all over ourselves for 10% discounts on Subnautica and Super Meat Boy. Where else could we find such savings?!

I'd watch the hell out of a Jazz Jackrabbit 3 or Jill of the Jungle 2 let's play on Youtube. Unless they release them on Steam day one, in which case I would preorder and play them myself.
Epic's own ip are the only games i wouldnt outright be against buying on their store on principle. I would buy the hell out of a new Jazz Jackrabbit - even without mid90s CliffyB's 'tude behind it. Of course id also wait for a "mega sale" to do so. Hell i havent snatched up the first two on gog and their only like 12 bucks. They can go lower.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Clearly we should be falling all over ourselves for 10% discounts on Subnautica and Super Meat Boy. Where else could we find such savings?!

Epic's own ip are the only games i wouldnt outright be against buying on their store on principle. I would buy the hell out of a new Jazz Jackrabbit - even without mid90s CliffyB's 'tude behind it. Of course id also wait for a "mega sale" to do so. Hell i havent snatched up the first two on gog and their only like 12 bucks. They can go lower.
I bought both Jazz the moment they appeared on GOG, but I wouldn't spend a single cent on EGS. Under different circumstances I wouldn't have been opposed to buying their exclusives there, but that ship has sailed and they soured me so much on their store that I want nothing to do with it.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
... to the surprise of LITERALLY no one:

"Annapurna Interactive, Chucklefish, Digital Extremes, Digital Uppercut, E-WIN, Fatshark, Fellow Traveller, Frontier Developments, Funcom, Modus Games, Paradox Interactive, Perfect World Entertainment, Raw Fury, Rebellion, Re-Logic, and Tripwire Interactive. "

Epic better stay the fuck away from Terraria 2

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Meh, i was hoping it wouldn't be like that but yeah, anyone who has even thought about it for longer than 10 seconds realised that the PC E3 show was going to be propaganda and half-truths. I'll just find something else to watch while it's on. My main interest is how Devolver are going to approach things with their advert, i mean, video.