News Epic Games Store

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Also Observation getting a pre-release sales discount makes me a little hopeful in a vindictive way that Devolver is sweating a little bit.
Regardless of whether if it impacts them now or in the future, I hope they get roasted over this deal. They trade on their relationship with well-informed customers, and I hope that in the PC space at least, that makes people think twice about paying full price for a Devolver game, or makes indies think twice about signing the dotted line with them.

For me, no Devolver game without a 50% discount for the foreseeable future.

... to the surprise of LITERALLY no one:

BRB, barfing.

Guess I'm skipping PC Gaming Show this year. I don't need to be made more depressed over the course of an hour or two.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
the only good thing that might actually come from that EGS Gaming Show is that there will be live audience there ....

Reactions: LEANIJA

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
the only good thing that might actually come from that EGS Gaming Show is that there will be live audience there ....
They'll get Epic to curate their audience just like their store. Anybody who seems like they'll boo EGS will be told to come back "in a year or so"

How much you want to bet that their "more announcements and trailers than ever " statement includes counting games that were previously revealed already as Epic exclusives counting as a "announcement"lmao
Pretty sure all of the currently announced studios have games announced right now that are ripe for re-reveal. Several of them also already have EGS exclusives announced like Annapurna and Tripwire

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
Wait, Read Dead Redemption 2 will also be EGS exclusive for 6 months?
Gives you the chance to play Gun and Red Dead Revolver if you haven't already.

Epic better stay the fuck away from Terraria 2
Have they even finished updating the first one?

Meh, i was hoping it wouldn't be like that but yeah, anyone who has even thought about it for longer than 10 seconds realised that the PC E3 show was going to be propaganda and half-truths.
But, that's every single E3 show for the past several years.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Gives you the chance to play Gun and Red Dead Revolver if you haven't already.

Have they even finished updating the first one?

But, that's every single E3 show for the past several years.
1.3 was the last major update. The main team has been working on Terraria 2 since. I believe a smaller team is working on the new stuff for Terraria 1 atm.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
"Annapurna Interactive, Chucklefish, Digital Extremes, Digital Uppercut, E-WIN, Fatshark, Fellow Traveller, Frontier Developments, Funcom, Modus Games, Paradox Interactive, Perfect World Entertainment, Raw Fury, Rebellion, Re-Logic, and Tripwire Interactive. "

Epic better stay the fuck away from Terraria 2
And still no Japanese developer/publisher in sight. That's all that matters.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Yeah, now that you mentioned it.
Is Epic stupid and forogt to talk to them or aren't they interested. I mean, some of them just discovered Steam and the PC community.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Is Epic stupid and forogt to talk to them or aren't they interested. I mean, some of them just discovered Steam and the PC community.
For a lot of japanese developers, Steam is PC. Its a platform not a storefront to them

Devs like Capcom, SEGA, Spike Chunsoft and Falcom almost always refer to PC as Steam.

Transdude1996

Apr 30, 2019
They're too busy scrambling around and dealing with Sony's new censorship policies: Rune Factory 5 not due out before April 2020 - Gematsu (Archive)
Finally, the company commented on sexual elements in its games, stating that they are “getting harder to make.” A sexual element had to be removed from one of its unannounced games, which lowered its sales forecast.

For a lot of japanese developers, Steam is PC. Its a platform not a storefront to them

Devs like Capcom, SEGA, Spike Chunsoft and Falcom almost always refer to PC as Steam.
This too. You know how you complain about Western conpanies "protecting their products"? The Nips are even worse with their paranoia.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
No doubt the first 10 rows will be filled with Epic employees and their families, going crazy over every announcement. In Dutch we call this "klapvee", which means as much as "applause caddle". :)
EGSGamer living up to their name.
PR Gamer is very suitable as well :)

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
This too. You know how you complain about Western conpanies "protecting their products"? The Nips are even worse with their paranoia.
Yeah for sure. The only reason we got PC releases of a lot of Japanese games is because of Steam.

Capcom’s thoughts on PC back in 2008 compared to 2018 are like night and day. The piracy paranoia is real.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
They probably don't care and would rather just have fancy looking stuff instead of Nep Nep.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
A lot of Japanese games barely work on Steam with the power of Steamworks tools behind then, imagine being left to their own devices on the EGS.
Can you imagine how fucking bad MHW would have been as a EGS exclusive? The servers were bad enough on Steam.

Reactions: lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Screams into the void about how Valve should make their own regular show and E3 show at this point for the PR.
watch everyone write articles about how volvo are using their MONOPOLY to kill competition ... and how they're picking winners and killing all the small indie devs

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Can you imagine how fucking bad MHW would have been as a EGS exclusive? The servers were bad enough on Steam.
Yeah, it will be a shitshow. Even if they do manage to snatch a few companies, trust will go down the shitter really fast since there's no way to contact the developer on the EGS.

For all the complaints that I have about Idea Factory, at least they were kind enough to personally acknowledge my bug reports on the Discussion pages, on a Sunday on top of that.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Is “Jap” really considered a slur? I always assumed people just used it similarly to how people use Brit or Aussie.

Shows how little I know about ethnic slurs I guess o_O
I only discovered it a few years ago. There was some kind of promo in Japanese PSN but it required a Japanese payment method. So I created one, and for simplicity I just named it my username+JAP at the end (cause soccer taught me to shorthand countries to their first three letters). Then the person who was helping me pointed it out that it was a slur. Awkward 😓

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I only discovered it a few years ago. There was some kind of promo in Japanese PSN but it required a Japanese payment method. So I created one, and for simplicity I just named it my username+JAP at the end (cause soccer taught me to shorthand countries to their first three letters). Then the person who was helping me pointed it out that it was a slur. Awkward 😓
yeah, pretty much ... that's why Japan is always abbreviated as JPN

also - a bit of good news :)

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
yeah, pretty much ... that's why Japan is always abbreviated as JPN

also - a bit of good news :)

Bless them for clarifying, Its ridiculous we're at a point where we even NEED to clarify these things but I'm glad devs are doing it anyway.

I really enjoyed Zombie Army Trilogy and I'm hoping to pick up Strange Brigade soon. Looking forward to what they show next.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Bless them for clarifying, Its ridiculous we're at a point where we even NEED to clarify these things but I'm glad devs are doing it anyway.
it's also telling that they have to do it .... it means a lot of people aren't happy about those exclusives

otherwise, if it was just a small minority of people not liking exclusivity, they wouldn't feel the need to do it ... no?

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Poked my head in to see if yall knew about E*P*I*C Gamer show.

Yeah, I don't have anything to add. Yall got all of this covered.

I do want to reiterate what Ryna said. Developers/Publishers getting ahead of the outrage by specifying that PC games are coming to other platforms is everything you need to know from a PR standpoint concerning how tenuous PC gaming is right now.

I am all but convinced that people who claim EGS is a good thing are bad actors. I won't go as far as to say "jealous console plebs," but all of this stinks of Platform Wars.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Poked my head in to see if yall knew about E*P*I*C Gamer show.

Yeah, I don't have anything to add. Yall got all of this covered.

I do want to reiterate what Ryna said. Developers/Publishers getting ahead of the outrage by specifying that PC games are coming to other platforms is everything you need to know from a PR standpoint concerning how tenuous PC gaming is right now.

I am all but convinced that people who claim EGS is a good thing are bad actors. I won't go as far as to say "jealous console plebs," but all of this stinks of Platform Wars.
It does at least disprove my theory that only small communities like here and ERA are pushing back. If PR is pointing out the different storefronts they'll be on, people must be waking up to some numbers they hadn't expected.

As for bad actors in various threads cheering it on, theyre trolling, fullstop. No two ways about it. They just want to see chaos and anger and they know where to poke the PCGaming bear to get it.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Of course it's platform wars. It's no coincidence that most people showing up in various threads to support Epic had previously shown zero interest in PC gaming threads. The good thing about this is that these people are not paying customers and their stance is irrelevant for everyone doing business on PC.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
I see PC Gamer is determined to torpedo its credibility.
They lost it when I saw them putting out a article near the end of 2018 where they said the use of DRM is mandatory for all Steam games

Imagine being a PC focused outlet and getting such a basic thing wrong. Really shows the absolute lack of proper research and knowledge about the medium.
It's the kind of mistake I expect from console focused outlets, not on calling themselves PC Gamer. That's just embarrassing

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
watch everyone write articles about how volvo are using their MONOPOLY to kill competition ... and how they're picking winners and killing all the small indie devs
Oh that would 100% happen, but I really do want them to go on the offensive against that show.

Run the show at the exact time as the PC Gamer show, and try to be as disruptive as possible.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Oh that would 100% happen, but I really do want them to go on the offensive against that show.

Run the show at the exact time as the PC Gamer show, and try to be as disruptive as possible.
speaking of which - i wonder if volvo will be streaming the show this year on steam as well ...

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
They lost it when I saw them putting out a article near the end of 2018 where they said the use of DRM is mandatory for all Steam games

Imagine being a PC focused outlet and getting such a basic thing wrong. Really shows the absolute lack of proper research and knowledge about the medium.
It's the kind of mistake I expect from console focused outlets, not on calling themselves PC Gamer. That's just embarrassing
Never forget the Rock Paper Shotgun journalists that was going around spreading shit about Steam last month who outright admitted that he didn’t know what resellers like Humble Bundle and Fanatical were. Talk about a massive yikes.

Like how do you work at a PC gaming oriented site and not know about resellers, aka one of the best advantages of pc gaming.