News Epic Games Store

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Lol, Hades price is 50% up for me, I just bought it for 6€ few hours ago and it's 13€ now :evilblob:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I said this on discord but it must really suck for EGS devs who don’t want to be devalued by this sale. Its not like they have the privilege to pull their game like Vampire or Oxygen not included.

They’d have to give up a month worth of sales because Epic can’t program their store to have games be available at regular price and due to the exclusivity deal they have nowhere else to sell their game. That is if their contract even allows them to pull their game at all.

But I guess they made their bed when they signed an exclusity deal with an unproven platform.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
God, the 1st day of sale on the EGS has been an amusing shitshow, whatta hell will happen during a month?

Reactions: Ge0force

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Using a VPN to buy a game cheaper seems to directly contradict the notion of "a bigger cut for the devs is good" that so many parrot on Era.

Not knockin' on anyone doing that, but at the same time, don't let me catch you being a hypocrite about it. :rolleyes:
Yesterday: IT SUPPORTS THE DEVS SO I SUPPORT IT! GIVE DEVS MORE MONEY! DOWN WITH THE CUT!

Today: What is this devaluing games bullshit give me my fucking $5 Bloodlines 2 you greedy cunts

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Yesterday: IT SUPPORTS THE DEVS SO I SUPPORT IT! GIVE DEVS MORE MONEY! DOWN WITH THE CUT!

Today: What is this devaluing games bullshit give me my fucking $5 Bloodlines 2 you greedy cunts
As someone who has been directly affected because by people abusing VPNs (gifts restrictions, games getting more expensive in my region even before the recent trend), this is really annoying.

I'm not asking for anyone to be a saint since I'm not one either, just not to be such a huge hypocrite about it (I know, asking waaaaay to much these days).

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Using a VPN to buy a game cheaper seems to directly contradict the notion of "a bigger cut for the devs is good" that so many parrot on Era.

Not knockin' on anyone doing that, but at the same time, don't let me catch you being a hypocrite about it. :rolleyes:
Haha I was thinking the same. You do you, but don't come to us acting all high and mighty for keeping the devs' interests in mind before your own (not you, of course).
Plus they literally said hours ago they weren't sure if they were going to raise the price and they would tell us beforehand if they decided to do so...

That is next level bullshittery. Only way they could top it is simply charge everyone who already bought the game some extra money. Maybe then make it a recurring fee you can't cancel and make the game a virus.
Holy fuck, that's scummy as hell. It was bullshit when devs did that on Steam, and it's still bullshit here.

Last edited:

BreezyLimbo

Total Waaagh
Apr 18, 2019
So I don't get it.

Are the devs only being comped the $10 if their game is over 15, or are they comped the full value? (IE if a game is 30 on sale for 10, epic comps the 20?).

Either way it's a disastah.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
So I don't get it.

Are the devs only being comped the $10 if their game is over 15, or are they comped the full value? (IE if a game is 30 on sale for 10, epic comps the 20?).

Either way it's a disastah.
It's just the $10 based on what I read. If a game's base price is $30, but it's on sale for $10, that means the game was first discounted to $20 by the devs and then the bonus offer is subtracted, showing a final price of $10 on the store page. It's confusing that it'd be included in the displayed price rather than at checkout, but that's how it works. Some store pages literally have two sale prices, and everything that previously was $14.99 or more is automatically discounted.

Reactions: BreezyLimbo

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
Will people who bought the game at $15 get the extra $5 refunded I wonder? Man Epic is probably hounded with refunds due to this sale.
I'm sure Epic will around the same time that the Ubisoft games come back onto the store. It must be nice for all these Fortnite players to subsidize Epic Game Store buyers.

Reactions: lashman

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I know it's a small difference, but didn't Hades had also a small discount? Something like 20% off? To technically not all they way back to previous price yet :p

The only reason I noticed is because over here the $10 was never applied since is less than $15.

Edit: Also, what would be the name of this new type of sale Supergiant and Epic are making? Roller coaster sales? Yoyo sales?

Reactions: lashman

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Supergiant's official response from their discord:
Earlier today, Hades became available at a significant discount as part of the Epic Mega Sale on the Epic Games store. We communicated poorly in the hours that followed, and want to clear things up.

The retail price of Hades is now back to $19.99, our original launch price. With the Epic Discount, you can get the game for $10 off that price right now, through to the end of the sale on June 13.

After the sale is over, on June 14, we will be raising the game's retail price to $24.99. We had intended to raise the retail price of the game soon, but made the decision rashly as part of the sale -- we didn't provide advance notice to our customers, despite previously stating we would do so. That was our mistake, and we sincerely apologize. To all our players, thank you for your patience and understanding around this.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Seems like people on ERA and Reddit are using VPN to buy stuff in cheaper regions.

And they are raising the prices too. And some games like previously stated in the thread is gone from the store.

Lol.
Aw come on. Screw them, screw all of them.

This will only end badly for us, the ones who badly need the regional pricing.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Well, let's be fair here. 5 games is like what... 7% of the whole store? You can bet that if an account bought 7% of all Steam catalog in a single day it would also be flagged as possible fraudulent too :p

Man... I can't really believe how ill prepared they were for this sale. "Let's have a MEGA sale but not change our fraud detection policies"!

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
In addition to this, they are no longer actually discounting their game at all. It's full price and the only discount is Epic's own 10$. Before Hades had a 10% discount by the devs in addition.

Some sketchy ass stuff here. They removed their own discount entirely and are getting Epic to cover for the whole thing.
Since Epic wants to 2x money hat, if I were the developer, I would let them.

Yes...because of recent events, I have decided that I will not buy Hades after all. 50% off is the minimum I require to buy from Steam. The firesale that was happening while I was at work was better.
  • Ubisoft games non-purchasable for an entire week and still out of the sale.
  • One of the most confusing sales ever because of regional prices but not regional currencies in several places and a flat $10 discount.
  • Developers obviously not aware of the sale specifics and at first adjusting prices to use the $10 off deal (including Supergiant)
  • Two games nuked from the store because apparently you can simply "opt out" of the sale.
  • Supergiant adjusting up their prices up in the middle of the sale a few hours after saying they would not do that without announcing first.
  • People already abusing VPNs for regional prices even more easily that on Steam (at least not having gifts is helping here...)
Nothing stops the EGS drama!

Seriously, we already know Epic isn't the best at actually planning anything, but sometimes I'm still impressed on how amateurish they can be. And with what, less then 100 games on the store? Their backend appears to completely incapable of dealing with any task that isn't really simple.
I need a VPN tutorial. For science.

Reactions: Dandy

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I won't be buying anything, ever from Epic at this point. They have proven that their direction has no regard for PC gaming and so it is logical to take the steps that ensure a lower chance of them existing.

That being said, I'm not about to nag everyone that buys stuff from them.

First, it's unproductive and tends to actually make them less receptive to your point.
Second, it actually makes them experience the fucking tragedy which is this store and maybe our points will make more sense then.
Third, while Epic gains the usual from the sale, they are eating a lot of loss on it.

It still pisses me off to see people supporting them and not give a fuck about PC gaming, but I think it's counterproductive to go around knocking on doors.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I won't be buying anything, ever from Epic at this point. They have proven that their direction has no regard for PC gaming and so it is logical to take the steps that ensure a lower chance of them existing.

First, it's unproductive and tends to actually make them less receptive to your point.
Second, it actually makes them experience the fucking tragedy which is this store and maybe our points will make more sense then.
Third, while Epic gains the usual from the sale, they are eating a lot of loss on it.

It still pisses me off to see people supporting them and not give a fuck about PC gaming, but I think it's counterproductive to go around knocking on doors.
I expect tons of 'WHOA WHERE DID MY SAVE GO!' threads around the Internet in the next few months.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
This is amazing.

It's only been a day and their sale has been a roller-coaster of problems. I hope it damages them more than becoming part of their statistics helps them.
I mean:
  • fraud protection kicking in when purchasing multiple games, because they don't have a freaking shopping cart
  • Ubisoft games not available at all because they've had some sort of problems for an entire weak now
  • Paradox and Klei removing games entirely from the store, because presumable there is no way to exclude individual games from the store wide discount
  • Store wide flat discount that is not adjusted for individual regions, leading to insane discounts for games that haven't been out for long, or aren't even out yet
  • They failed to communicate the details of the sale properly to at least Paradox (Sergey confirmed this in a tweet)
  • Having the sale at all shows how hypocritical and untrustworthy they are. They go back on their words every other day.

Also, with how bad their backend seems to be, how high are the chances that the planned features for May (cloudsaves, cough) will be pushed back again, because the dev team has their hands full with making sure the store doesn't explode during the sale?

You're right.
I have to apologize to fantomena for making a snarky passive aggressive response yesterday when he said he bought something from the store. Sorry about that, that was absolutely an overreaction.

Last edited:

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
How long has been EGS out now? They really need to start building that profile page soon, I want my custom avatar, profile bg and playtimes.
They're good at tracking so should be piece of cake.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Bye Epic! :giggle:

Holy fuck, that's scummy as hell. It was bullshit when devs did that on Steam, and it's still bullshit here.
Epic really brings out the best of developers. :rolleyes:
Yes...because of recent events, I have decided that I will not buy Hades after all.
Respect! (y)
I can confirm this. :giggle:

Last edited:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
This is amazing.

It's only been a day and their sale has been a roller-coaster of problems. I hope it damages them more than becoming part of their statistics helps them.
I mean:
  • fraud protection kicking in when purchasing multiple games, because they don't have a freaking shopping cart
  • Ubisoft games not available at all because they've had some sort of problems for an entire weak now
  • Paradox and Klei removing games entirely from the store, because presumable there is no way to exclude individual games from the store wide discount
  • Store wide flat discount that is not adjusted for individual regions, leading to insane discounts for games that haven't been out for long, or aren't even out yet
  • They failed to communicate the details of the sale properly to at least Paradox (Sergey confirmed this in a tweet)
  • Having the sale at all shows how hypocritical and untrustworthy they are. They go back on their words every other day.
Also, with how bad their backend seems to be, how high are the chances that the planned features for May (cloudsaves, cough) will be pushed back again, because the dev team has their hands full with making sure the store doesn't explode during the sale?
I won't lie, this is quite amusing.

And seeing how someone still believes their "we really care sooooo much about devs" BS after they failed or didn't bother to comunicate some basic info on how their supposedly "mega" sale was going to work is even more amusing.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I have never even been to the store.
You know how steam has a huge space for a featured game? It's basically that, and you scroll down to huge pictures.

Doesn't fit nearly as many games to look at. Lots of stuff will get missed.

This is amazing.

I mean:

You're right.
I have to apologize to fantomena for making a snarky passive aggressive response yesterday when he said he bought something from the store. Sorry about that, that was absolutely an overreaction.
I thought I recognized this post from elsewhere. All those bullet-points.

Props for a fantastic summary of the sale. 2x props for apologizing.

Someone admitted wrongdoing on the internet???

What kind of establishment are yall running here???

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Man, i leave the store thread alone for a day and Epic steps in thoroughly?
I love to see them look this way, wonder how they'll try and right the ship before E3 because right now they look like the devs of fortnite and a bunch of other incompetent people.

There is a reason stores aren't for everybody Tim, maybe you should take heed and stick to twitter rants instead? You're trying to speed run the GFW initiative in 6 months but don't have the acumen to pull it off, except the end result of course. To think a year ago+ he was projecting about Windows locking things behind walls and now he has a barely-functional store doing the same.

2019 is surreal.