News Epic Games Store

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
The cynic in me feels like this sale has been pushed out so that they can do some more PR spin with 'record numbers buying from EGS' to then get more publishers to go exclusive.
You're not alone. That was also my feeling in addition to them trying to win people over before the PC Gaming show at E3. The event gives them the perfect chance to interact with a lot of devs and publishers.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
The cynic in me feels like this sale has been pushed out so that they can do some more PR spin with 'record numbers buying from EGS' to then get more publishers to go exclusive.
Nothing cynical about it. Epic isn't taking a loss in most sales higher than $15 for nothing. This is timed to get good PR and numbers before and during the E3, and try to impact the Steam sale as well.

It is a great talking point without context of all other Epic actions, and you can bet it's going to be used non-stop this month - after all it is costing them a lot as well.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
And that's why the deal is tempting. I have a morbid curiosity for their games (because I usually like narrative games) but paying full price isn't going to happen.
Well, the narrative in both Heavy Rain and Beyond sucks. Heavy Rain is a clumsy Seven-esque neo-noir with one of the most idiotic plot twists in gaming and dialogue straight out of 9th grader attempts at writing a novel (there's a line like "I want to give birth to your baby" or something to that extent). And Beyond is something much more idiotic, given that Cage tried to be deep and philosophical on the subject of death.

I recommend playing both on the youtube, but it seems they're pretty cheap on EGS, so, it's your call.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
It's admittedly a good pro consumer move so I can't really criticise Epic, especially when (as silly as it is) it goes back on a bad stance i.e. no sales.

Still not buying anything though

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I recommend playing both on the youtube, but it seems they're pretty cheap on EGS, so, it's your call.
Oh... for both Beyond and Heavy Rain I already watched them on youtube :p (and yes, they a terrible written).

As for Detroid, as I said, just morbid curiosity. While the current deal ($10) can be tempting, I will wait for a good sale on Steam when it's available there.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I'm banned.
I really need to learn to stay out of egs threads over there, it isn't good for my blood preassure.
I have stopped posting over there. I just cannot stand the hostility any longer, even ignoring all Epic threads did not help, as it spilled over into the Steam thread. I'll still read the few community threads I like.

Reactions: Ascheroth and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
It's admittedly a good pro consumer move so I can't really criticise Epic, especially when (as silly as it is) it goes back on a bad stance i.e. no sales.

Still not buying anything though
It is indeed and in all fairness, it was the only move needed to make people come in the first place. The whole third party exclusivity strategy is insane.
But it is still there and that's what I have a problem with. Not EGS existing or selling games.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
It does show how ravenous gamers are for cheap deals and that ultimately its the price that will dictate where the customer will go.

Reactions: NarohDethan

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
You know what?
When I think about it, the prospect of another storefront/launcher like Steam/GOG/UPlay/Origin is not really a problem in itself. Hey, I use all of those myself (and buy keys from key resellers like Fanatical/GreenManGaming etc).
(I need to preface this with that I myself do not have an EGS account.)

The problem with EGS/Epic is that pretty much everything that has happened has been negative in some way.
The sheer amount of problems is staggering. Any of these issues/controversies on their own might end with a shrug from the PC audience, but they keep on piling on.

• Epic leaves PC gaming 10 years ago, blames pirates.
    • Returns to paint themselves as the "savior of PC Gaming", which has thrived during the years they ignored it.
  • Epic complains about the standard 30 % cut in the industry, undercuts all other resellers with their unsustainable 12% cut. (Even unsustainable by their own words.)
  • No real thought on visibility on their store. Aims to use influencers to market games.
    • Developers/Publishers must pay influencers themselves of course.
  • Store itself is bare bones.
    • Search is touted as a major new feature(!!!)
    • Shopping cart - to be implemented
    • "Features are unnecessary and some of them toxic!"
      • Rolls out Trello "Features TBI"-board
        • Does not implement the features on the board
    • Etc...
  • People repeatedly report how there are hacks attempted on their EGS accounts.
  • Customers need to pay processing fees, store cut again to low to swallow these fees.
    • Is this even allowed in the EU?
  • EGS just "happens" to crawl your computer and copy Steam files, even though there exists an official API to do just this.
    • "Oops, my bad" says Sweeney. "What's GDPR?"
  • Regional pricing, what's that?
    • "OK, we'll implement it haphazardly..."
  • Continuously insults their own customers - "For the devs!"
  • Dude spends years getting paid on Patreon to crawl Steam ownership data, compiling thoughts on how sales affect stuff and how people purchase games.
    • Gets appointed to high places position on EGS, starts to talk all kinds of crap about how bad Steam is for the industry
    • Proceeds to not do anything with the information he seemed to have learned over the years.
    • ... But keeps on raking in cash from Patreon
  • Dude talks all kinds of crap about the industry on Russian podcast. Said podcast is translated to English by someone who speaks Russian.
    • Dude says he was mistranslated.
    • Proceeds to say exactly the same thing in English...
  • EGS starts to pay publishers (not necessarily developers) to not release on other storefronts (especially Steam, but GOG and others are affected as well)
  • Continues to talk about how "bad" the situation of PC Gaming is, and how they will save it
    • The PC gaming market has continued to grow for each year. Almost too much, since the market is filled with too many games for the customers to effectively buy.
  • "We will never have sales, they devalue the product"
    • Proceeds to have a "Mega Sale" 6 months in, even discounting non released games heavily!!!
  • Etc. Etc. Etc...

I mean, any one of these issues by itself might be forgettable/forgivable, but every move they make is contradicting an earlier move or controversial in itself.
It's really impressive how they continuously make weird/controversial moves.

"Another launcher/storefront" is not the problem! How they have handled this entire year is!

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
This is the kind of "ban bait" suff that prevented me from posting on Gaf, where I was mostly a lurker until showergate.

User 1: Epic Store good now?
User 2: Always been good
You: Lists 101 reasons why Epic isn't good.

The ban-first, ask questions later method of moderation means that not much has been "reset" from the previous place. I understand the logic as to why they gave you a ban: discussing why Epic is bad is counter-intuitive in a thread about Epic's video game sales. I'd much prefer that ppl talk it out.

"What does [everything you posted] have to do with Epic game sales?" is a question I would ask to redirect the thread.

That said, I'll look to see if Epic tempts me with anything. Cheap is cheap.
Hades for $7? Not sure if I can resist that brehs.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Haha wow what a desperate move. I mean sure sales are always nice but how the hell can they expect Devs to take them seriously now? Also I think what their plan has always been, is to get more users who tie their credit card to the store to increase the likelihood of them trying Fortnite and buying microtransactions.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
This is exactly what's happening. This isn't just a sale. And this is not what future sales are gonna look like on EGS. This is Epic actually paying pc gamers for using their store, thereby preventing moneyhatted games being a flop on EGS, and also turning their moneyhats into a "good" thing for us as consumers.

The fact that this is actually working out for Epic, shows how powerful capitalism really is. Epic is actually buying a solution for every problem they've encountered so far. Incredible.

Reactions: LEANIJA and xinek

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
This is exactly what's happening. This isn't just a sale. And this is not what future sales are gonna look like on EGS. This is Epic actually paying pc gamers for using their store, thereby preventing moneyhatted games being a flop on EGS, and also turning their moneyhats into a "good" thing for us as consumers.

The fact that this is actually working out for Epic, shows how powerful capitalism really is. Epic is actually buying a solution for every problem they've encountered so far. Incredible.
I really hope that after all the impulse buying people do in this sale it doesn't translate into any extra purchases on regular priced games so that Epic either has to keep subsidising massive sales out of their own pocket or start offering customers a better service (and give up on the exclusives).

Reactions: Ge0force

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com

I mean...I'm not going to say "no" to free money.

What does this cost me as a consumer? Epic turning around and talking about how their sale was a huge success for PR points? I don't care about PR spin.

You pay developers to use your service, I'm sleep.

You pay me to use your service, ok, you have my attention.

are my posts invisible or something? :disapproval-blob:

👇
No. Saw your post after the fact. Sorry.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I really hope that after all the impulse buying people do in this sale it doesn't translate into any extra purchases on regular priced games so that Epic either has to keep subsidising massive sales out of their own pocket or start offering customers a better service (and give up on the exclusives).
Yeah I'm still not buying anything from there for full price OR even "reduced price."

But let's say Outer Worlds comes out, and oh, two months later, that $60 regular-price game is $20-$25. Why wait another 10 months for the game to be released on Steam for $60?

As the Million Dollar man used to say, "Everybody has a price."

We are, after all, talking about video games. Not, say, abortion becoming illegal around the US right now. EGS, as bad as it is, isn't a hill worth dying on IMO.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
You pay me to use your service, ok, you have my attention
I probably would have said this as well if it wasn't for the exclusivity deals. Companies can pay me to use their service, but they can't pay me to support and except store exclusivity deals on pc. It seems the open nature of pc gaming is more important to me than a €10 discount. ☺

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah I'm still not buying anything from there for full price OR even "reduced price."
Yeah me neither.
But let's say Outer Worlds comes out, and oh, two months later, that $60 regular-price game is $20-$25. Why wait another 10 months for the game to be released on Steam for $60?

Yeah thats true. I'd take some solace in the fact that its not making EGS any money (if they are the ones that keep subsidising the sales) and people are getting cheap games but the greater effect it has on the PC games market will be interesting (meaning probably worse overall for customers).

Reactions: Ge0force

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Because as consumers, we have the power to decide what we want from the services provided to us.

By accepting Epic's deal, you're telling then that it is okay for them to keep buying exclusivities, providing a shit store service, etc, As long as you get cheap games. And that's fine I guess if there's no other option out there, but there are! You as a consumer, by not making business with them, you're effectively taking a stance against their bad practices.

Tl;dr consumers need to grow a spine.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Thinking about picking up John Wick Hex and Hades from the Epic Sale.
I know Hades will be released on Steam later but the price is too tempting, anyone have info about JWX? Is it full exclusive or timed?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I don't have any scruples when it comes to buying from whoever sells to me for bottom-dollar.

I maintain a don't ask, don't tell policy. Just like with my charitable giving. Homeless man asks me for $10, I give it to him and don't ask what he's gonna do with it.
Of course I'm not telling you what to do with your money. You've earned it, you decide how to spend it. But I do think that sometimes it is convenient to see a what's behind a low price.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Of course I'm not telling you what to do with your money. You've earned it, you decide how to spend it. But I do think that sometimes it is convenient to see a what's behind a low price.
I draw the line at buying games from a place where I know that keys are acquired from stolen credit cards, for example. Not trying to give the FBI reasons to be looking in my direction besides being black and hating MAGA.

Reactions: Nabs and Ascheroth

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I don't have any scruples when it comes to buying from whoever sells to me for bottom-dollar.

I maintain a don't ask, don't tell policy. Just like with my charitable giving. Homeless man asks me for $10, I give it to him and don't ask what he's gonna do with it.
I'm the same. Would I buy a high end TV for 1/4th of the price if I knew it was stolen from a warehouse of a big company? Yes.
Would I buy the same TV if I knew it was stolen from my neighbor? No.

It's not different here. I wouldn't buy from EGS over steam of they sell for the same price. I would buy on EGS over steam for a reduced price. But the whole taking games hostage situation changes my whole perception and I still refuse to buy from them.

What I'm trying to say: there is more to this, then just the price that needs to be brought into the equation.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018

We are, after all, talking about video games. Not, say, abortion becoming illegal around the US right now. EGS, as bad as it is, isn't a hill worth dying on IMO.
I already get most EGS exclusives for free and I've barely bothered to put more than 2 hours on Ashen. The client is that terrible. There is no game at any price that can convince me to actually buy any game in there . I have a huge backlog anyways, it isn't hard to wait a year.

Last edited:

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
I already get most EGS exclusives and I've barely bothered to put more than 2 hours on Ashen. The client is that terrible. There is no game at any price that can convince me to actually buy any game in there . I have a huge backlog anyways, it isn't hard to wait a year.
Ashen doesn't interest me.

Really, this is about Hades. Particularly for "professional interests" since there is so much on my plate already.

lashman do you know if Industries of Titan will be exclusive-exclusive or merely timed?

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Outer Worlds especially it's a very easy wait. The gameplay they've released is some janky ass stuff, i would wait a year for it to get all patched up and in a proper sale anyways.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Ashen is like a 6. It’s eh. It’s ehshen
You say that like 6 is bad?
As for the 'sale' - Won't be buying. Not worth it at this point since they have nothing I want, and I don't want to give two-faced tim anymore ammo for PR and numbers.

If this means they'll smarten up or get a better store/client out the door, then I'll wait for that day to come, until then I can wait out anything Epic moneyhats, and will gladly pay more elsewhere.

TheGreenArrow

Ask me about my podcast damn it
Nov 20, 2018
www.thecellarletters.com
You say that like 6 is bad?
As for the 'sale' - Won't be buying. Not worth it at this point since they have nothing I want, and I don't want to give two-faced tim anymore ammo for PR and numbers.

If this means they'll smarten up or get a better store/client out the door, then I'll wait for that day to come, until then I can wait out anything Epic moneyhats, and will gladly pay more elsewhere.
No no I’m just saying it’s not worth the crazy praise it’s been getting. People LOVE it for some reason.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Ashen was great co-op game imo. Combat needed bit more depth and polish but definitely not just an 6, which means unplayable shit.

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
A 5 out of 10 is average yall. 6 out of 10 is just above average.

"Ehshen" is appropriate in that regard. Barely, worth, or arguably, not worth your time.

"Unplayable" is like, 4 and below. That's when you get into the territory of a game not being fun simply because it's boring, but because it actively works against you to be fun.

Hmmmm, one of my editors gave Ashen an 8. shrug

www.geeksundergrace.com/gaming/review-ashen-xbox-one/

Reactions: Kuro