News Epic Games Store

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
It took them this long to reach the obvious (and easy to do) solution? The really didn't want to give refunds.

And as pointed out on the thread on Era, the PC physical version thing means that the difference between the $30 and $60 tiers is now a nice coaster with the EGS installer :p

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Gonna refund the shit out of this. Might even try to get a refund on my physical PS4 copy too, just because it'll cost Epic, Ys Net and/or Deep Silver more money.

Also, I hope there's a mass exodus of refunds here, to the point that Timmy Tencent's deal is absolutely fucking worthless.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
More inflexible corporate bullshit.

However, coordination with the sales policies of the involved companies was untenable
You mean, Valve told you to go see where the sun doesn't shine when you asked them to distribute a game for free. Shock and awe, bless me heart, what low-lives.

Along with Deep Silver and Epic Games, we have agreed that should the above proposal not be acceptable to backers, refund requests will be honored.
"Please don't ask for a refun-oh shit".

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
My overriding feeling about this whole situation is regret. I'm just sad it came to this, since I've been waiting 17/18 years for Shenmue III. There's not many games that I've been mega hyped for that have ended in bitter disappointment. MGS4 was one of them, but that's because it's a bad game. But Shenmue III has now topped that list.

I'm not even angry or salty anymore. Just sad.

I can't believe THAT is the "solution" for the Physical PC copy.
They could've offered a version not tethered to any launcher, if Epic/Tim Sweeney were being honest in their assertions, but it's clear to everyone they want all players of the game on EGS.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Deep Silver continues to be terrible, that shite took them a month to write? What did they expect, that Valve is gonna allow them to use Steam's ecosystem for a game that's not gonna be released on the platform for more than a year? Come on! I hope after the release of Metro and Shenmue most of us will have enough willpower to only buy these games when they will be on deep discounts.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Imagine being Jason Shitheel Schreier, pretending to care about game dev labor and writing this asinine shit, dunking on Valve for taking care of their employees:

Fuck the gaming press.

Edit: Also conveniently forgetting that Epic’s money and the money publishers like Deep Silver are getting are coming off the backs of overworked and labor crushed Fortnite BR devs.
Yes lets completely ignore the fact that said Valve employees are also game developers..

“I care about game devs.” “But not them because valve BAD”

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Imagine being Jason Shitheel Schreier, pretending to care about game dev labor and writing this asinine shit, dunking on Valve for taking care of their employees:

Fuck the gaming press.

Edit: Also conveniently forgetting that Epic’s money and the money publishers like Deep Silver are getting are coming off the backs of overworked and labor crushed Fortnite BR devs.
I think we need some sort of documentary on the gaming press, exposing connections between the press and publishers, showing how the press morphed into PR wing of the industry as opposed to being an unbiased (at least to a certain extent) journalism. Preferably it should be done by someone with credibility in the journalistic circles, otherwise, the notion itself will be easily brushed off as "GAMERS RISE UP!" and other GG-esque nonsense.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Fuck the gaming press.

Pay no attention to the terrible labour practices behind the curtain for they are Epic, the Great and unreal-powered!

The 88/12 is just slow acting water meant to destroy the Wicked Gaben of the West

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
First of all, sorry for my English
One point that come to my mind readind this is that there are a lot of people paying for games and not playing them. I think that a point to consider
Honestly I have so many games in my backlog, me buying a new game is basically like me donating to the developer, because who the hell knows if I'll ever even get to it.
These are two good points.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Journalistic integrity

Shenmue III Developers Offer Refunds To Kickstarter Backers Angry About Epic Store Exclusivity
Meanwhile, you can expect these Epic Store controversies to continue at least until Valve relents on that 70-30% split, which might affect their yearly company-wide Hawaii vacations but would probably make game developers’ lives a whole lot better.
Valve:
  • Funds and develops Linux gaming
  • Funds, researches and tries to establish VR gaming
  • Funds, researches and tries to establish new controller methods and integrates their own controller API (use what you want)
  • Funds a gigantic server network, with free and fast downloads, cloudsaving, social hubs, mod pages etc.
  • Funds and offers in home game streaming and hardware
  • Has regional pricing
  • Pays salaries without treating their employees like slaves
  • Takes care of processing fees
  • Apparently offers company vacation
  • Doesn't treat their costumers like shit
Shreier:
They are rich and can afford to give a nice bonus to their employees. Those stupid valve fucks, think about all the money publishers are loosing because of this!

edit:
Criticizing Valve is okay, but shaming them for paying for nice company vacations is a bit off. Especially for somebody who wants to protect and fights for better employee treatment in the industry.
Treating your workers nicely is suddenly a bad thing, because valve is doing it? While on the other side epic is treating their Fortnite workforce like robots?
I'd go as far and say: Jason you are a hypocrite here.
I also think you can demand that a journalist understands that running an operation like steam costs money, let alone all the other things that valve is doing. I'm not sure a 88-12% split is sustainable in the first place.

Last edited:

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I think very highly of Schreier and consider him as one of the good ones, but he makes mistakes like any of us.

I mean come on, who do we want to responsibly cover the game industry?
EZA? Owen S. Good?

I hope he will come to his senses, I am displeased about his take on the issue too.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Schreier’s take is especially disappointing coming from someone who fights so hard for workers’ rights, because it means he essentially doesn’t think of Valve as workers. While I think the people who are declaring him a “shitheel” are being ridiculous, as one bad take isn’t enough to nullify an entire career of fighting for developers, it really is an impressively awful statement that goes entirely against what he claims to represent.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
No surprises there with that Kotaku article. Gaming websites only care about the console side of business and only bring PC when someone does something stupid.

If you get your PC coverage from those sites I wouldnt be surprised if you believe that every PC gamer is a Nazi pedophile.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I supported a shit ton of yet to be released projects on KS so it's almost certain that Tim will put his sweaty greedy hands on one of those. Nice: I need money to spend on already released games made by developers who don't give me the finger when the rich kid notices them.

EDIT: With all the talk of how evil Valve is because they don't put their unreleased indie game on the Steam front page every single day, I see Renaine as the main candidate.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
I think very highly of Schreier and consider him as one of the good ones, but he makes mistakes like any of us.

I mean come on, who do we want to responsibly cover the game industry?
EZA? Owen S. Good?

I hope he will come to his senses, I am displeased about his take on the issue too.
After this article, I'm done. If even an investigative journalist like Jason has appalling takes like this then I have no faith in gaming media at all to cover this topic with even a modicum of honesty. It just won't happen. EZA is the same. So is Giant Bomb.

Therefore I won't take any of them seriously and just see them as entertainment.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
They've already relented on the 70/30 as well, with just ~333k sales @ $30 you get to only give 25%, And so on and so forth. Nothing new that's not been already addressed in that shit article outside its own shittyness, might as well argue with Mangarae's circle jerking ad infinitum, it's about as productive. Of course my reply there (with some general arguments copy pasted from other posts and criticizing the vacation bit) will remain pending forever or denied.

Last edited:

unknownhero

Apr 18, 2019

Fuck the gaming press.

As I said before, The journalists aren't on our side unless it benefits them.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Fuck the gaming press.

He's always been full of shit, focused on drama instead of facts. His piece on Star Citizen was completely devoid of context while fishing for anything that can be construed as a problem. That's the thing with game journos, very few of them actually has experience or technical background with gamedev. Yet, how hard is it to apply a critical eye and try to educate yourself? This press is more than 30 years old.

It's interesting to see him burn his reputation in this way. I mean, talking up the cut is one of the most easily detecable bullshit arguments in this. He's behaving like a bullying troll which is pretty much what EGS and the press have been in all this.

Also, taking up unions and criticizing crunch while dunking on employees getting vacations and bonuses.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I actually don't remember Schreier writing anything about Star Citizen. But that said, the whole Star Citizen thing is h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s.

"It'S TaKiNG OvER SeVEn YeARs"

Oh shit guys, it's almost like it takes a long time to start a studio, iron out concepts, create long-range roadmaps and design workflows. It's almost like this is what game development looks like, and it requires patience, like you always preach at us when we're dealing with delays and bumbles from established AAA studios.

Oh but it's not an AAA studio? Whoops, better forget the articles on patience, roll out the "WHerE iS tHE gAmE" articles and pretend like you give a shit about the consumer for a day!

Epic literally buying crowdfunded games to traffick users

Gaming media: "We sleep"

Star Citizen taking a long time to come to fruition

Gaming media: "Is ThIS tHE BiGgeST ScAM iN VIdYa GaME HiSToRy?"

Fuck off.
It was a piece on the development of S42, the single-player campaign. The crux of Shreier's criticism was that as budget ballooned, the tech had to change to be able to support larger ambitions and scales of content. Every time they had to expand on a foundational system (which was the right thing to do from an engineer and long-term standpoint), it was a "reboot" and "troubled management". It was so asinine, divorced from the reality that this is normal and the editorial thinly-veiled I could barely bear to read the whole thing. Even Brian Chambers, the Frankfurt studio lead whose engineers know a thing or two about engine development considering those are overwhelmingly ex-Crytek people, got pissed when people came at him asking about the "reboot".

Anyway, I agree with you. Double standards, tribal agendas and hypocrisy is what I've grown to expect from the press.

But you know what the silver lining is? People are pushing back against Epic, SC is still well-funded and great things are still happening in PC gaming :).

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
He's always been full of shit, focused on drama instead of facts. His piece on Star Citizen was completely devoid of context while fishing for anything that can be construed as a problem. That's the thing with game journos, very few of them actually has experience or technical background with gamedev. Yet, how hard is it to apply a critical eye and try to educate yourself? This press is more than 30 years old.

It's interesting to see him burn his reputation in this way. I mean, talking up the cut is one of the most easily detecable bullshit arguments in this. He's behaving like a bullying troll which is pretty much what EGS and the press have been in all this.

Also, taking up unions and criticizing crunch while dunking on employees getting vacations and bonuses.
For what it's worth, I just stopped following him on Twitter and removed his book from my Amazon wishlist. While I still think he did a great job with many investigative articles, I don't feel like supporting him anymore if this is what he truly believes about PC gaming.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
For what it's worth, I just stopped following him on Twitter and removed his book from my Amazon wishlist. While I still think he did a great job with many investigative articles, I don't feel like supporting him anymore if this is what he truly believes about PC gaming.
Agreed. I think he's full of shit and I dislike him intensely for how clearly he still follows gawker's "gossip" obsession over facts. Still, much as his style pisses me off when it comes to technical matters, he did some good reporting that had a positive impact. Riot comes to mind.

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
I actually don't remember Schreier writing anything about Star Citizen. But that said, the whole Star Citizen thing is h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s.

"It'S TaKiNG OvER SeVEn YeARs"

Oh shit guys, it's almost like it takes a long time to start a studio, iron out concepts, create long-range roadmaps and design workflows. It's almost like this is what game development looks like, and it requires patience, like you always preach at us when we're dealing with delays and bumbles from established AAA studios.

Oh but it's not an AAA studio? Whoops, better forget the articles on patience, roll out the "WHerE iS tHE gAmE" articles and pretend like you give a shit about the consumer for a day!

Epic literally buying crowdfunded games to traffick users

Gaming media: "We sleep"

Star Citizen taking a long time to come to fruition

Gaming media: "Is ThIS tHE BiGgeST ScAM iN VIdYa GaME HiSToRy?"

Fuck off.

This Epic thing is exposing the hypocrisy of many so called journalists each and every day. It's truly bizarre how everyone seems to give them a free pass over their harmful behavior, even when it comes to things that will affect gaming as a whole, such as the viability of crowdfunding, and not only "toxic steam fanboys".

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I remember when Game Journalists Are Incompetent Fuckwits was a thing 8 or 9 years ago. He really knew how to get under their skin, because instead of coupling easy to demolish right wing talking points with some vaguely shady goings on in the press, he actually had an amazing bullshit detector that honed in on exactly why the games press was so shit. And they had no answer to him at all.

We could do with someone like that now, legitimately giving these guys hell for their bullshit without any of the GamerGate baggage, but all we have nowadays are right wing grifter twats who are more interested in hijacking the discussion around the quality of the game press to talk about why it's okay to harass women and why they think white people are the master race.

Edit: Should add the creator of GJAIF is kind of embarrassed of the site now, though I imagine that has a lot to do with what happened with the "Ethics in Games Journalism" bullshit that spewed afterwards. It's a shame because the pundit press nowadays are even worse than they were a decade ago, frankly.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Good Twitter thread:

link

read it on one page:
I should have known better than reading the answers to those tweets. People still are using the "Valve lazy" argument, still coming with that dumb shit that Steam is a monopoly and exclusives are the only way that Epic could enter in the market.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Just caught up on the news that Phoenix Point will also release on Xbox pass day one so its another 'just not on Steam' eggs exclusive.

I wonder what the actual contract that they signed with epic says? Does it just say 'cant release on Steam'? or was there a prior deal in place that epic couldn't buy them out of?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, Epic's schtick of being the saviours of Developer Studios and in particular Indie Devs kinda fell flat when they only moneyhatted what i consider Big Indie Devs. It was all kind of a sham in my mind after that.
Can't be pro-indie with a curated store like that by default tbh. Steam wasn't pro-indie in its inception either, not until before Greenlight did they start being so.

That's like EA saying oh no, we're not so evil, we're nice guys, we gave resources/great contracts that just covered our costs to a handful of indies, come on!