News Epic Games Store

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
I feel weirdly responsible for Sampson leaving. I had replied to a bunch of their posts in the sports thread and a few in the Steam thread over the last few days.

Not to mention I had @'ed them a couple times in as many days. The last time of which was their final post I believe.. and the one I strongly questioned if I should. I try to do that sparingly because I don't want to be an annoyance but that last time I just really wanted to thank them. :confounded-face:

It doesn't help that my posting style can sometimes be grating for folks. So I'll try to tone that down and be less excitable.

And like others have said, I do hope the time away from forums will help them and that maybe they'll rejoin us in the future. Also thank you lash for letting us all know what's up.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Imagine paying 1 fucking thousand dollars and still not getting every content in the game. Now imagine saying that you're not entitled to it.

Shit like this is why game companies get away with everything. As long as their team is 'winning', gamers will eat whatever companies throw at them.
This isn't really an EGS issue so much as Deep Silver wants to burn down any and all good will within the industry and YsNet is clearly run by incompetent people. Epic is just willing to cause the original chaos and pay for cleanup, everyone looks bad, but the preorder/season pass is not on them.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
This isn't really an EGS issue so much as Deep Silver wants to burn down any and all good will within the industry and YsNet is clearly run by incompetent people. Epic is just willing to cause the original chaos and pay for cleanup, everyone looks bad, but the preorder/season pass is not on them.
Just chiming in on what some members were discussing about S3 :p

Reactions: m_dorian

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
Epic is going to make Kickstarting games more difficult because people don't trust the game being released on the platform first "marketed" for. I wonder if this is a way for them to rake the smaller indies in or are they simply unaware of the effect they are having on that particular aspect of monetizing game development.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Epic is going to make Kickstarting games more difficult because people don't trust the game being released on the platform first "marketed" for. I wonder if this is a way for them to rake the smaller indies in or are they simply unaware of the effect they are having on that particular aspect of monetizing game development.
Oh they know, they just dont give a fuck.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Just chiming in on what some members were discussing about S3 :p
I know, the reply below yours beings it full circle. we all good ;)
Almost certainly as Srossi said, they don't care. They can use kickstarted games like some devs use it to secure publishers. Find the ones with massive funding and buy up the rights after its already closed. I don't think we'll see any campaigns launch with EGS as a selling point for backers

Last edited:

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I know, the reply below yours beings it full circle. we all good ;)

Almost certainly as Srossi said, they don't care. They can use kickstarted some some devs use it to secure publishers. Find the ones with massive funding and buy up the rights after its already closed. I don't think we'll see any campaigns launch with EGS as a selling point for backers
Absolute idiocy and very shortsighted. I'd get it if EGS was willing to fund all the possible vaporware in KS that interest them but that would require them being savvy about what games might be good and not rely on already in place customer feedback.

I'm not deadset against EGS btw. I just don't see why I should pick any game from there if it's available elsewhere and that's the real issue they should be battling not the bad feedback about their poaching policy. If they'd make the platform more customer friendly instead of holding games at gunpoint it wouldn't be bad having them as an option. They just need to understand that they need to build it from a customers perspective not the "We need to win all the money" perspective.

Pretty sure this all has been said a thousand times but... :p

Seeing Tim being so smarmy makes me want to punch my own balls in frustration.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I feel weirdly responsible for Sampson leaving. I had replied to a bunch of their posts in the sports thread and a few in the Steam thread over the last few days.
Maybe, but I submit that people generally do things for thier own reasons, even if it seems like it's a response to something you did. Personally, I enjoy your posts.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Maybe, but I submit that people generally do things for thier own reasons, even if it seems like it's a response to something you did. Personally, I enjoy your posts.
That's true and lashman is probably right that it's all just coincidence. What doesn't help is that I've always had the irrational fear of upsetting someone even when it is most likely impossible that I had done so. I've gotten a little better about it but it still creeps into my mind occasionally.

But anyway, I don't want to derail things too much. So I'll say that it's pretty astonishing that Tim is capable of so much spin and gaslighting. Is there any way someone could lock him in a room away from the internet and we somehow use that spin as a natural energy source?

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
That's true and lashman is probably right that it's all just coincidence. What doesn't help is that I've always had the irrational fear of upsetting someone even when it is most likely impossible that I had done so. I've gotten a little better about it but it still creeps into my mind occasionally.

But anyway, I don't want to derail things too much. So I'll say that it's pretty astonishing that Tim is capable of so much spin and gaslighting. Is there any way someone could lock him in a room away from the internet and we somehow use that spin as a natural energy source?
Reckon he'd die out of him wanting to keep smelling his own farts even when the oxygen is running out.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Can you use your powers of driving people away to make Tim move to a hut in Antarctica with no internet? It's worth a try.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Here's advice from someone who had to deal with the same thing : people are responsible for their own reactions. You do you, You are obviously trying your best already.

Don't take responsibility for others.

NingenJanai

MetaMember
Sep 7, 2018
Here's advice from someone who had to deal with the same thing : people are responsible for their own reactions. You do you, You are obviously trying your best already.

Don't take responsibility for others.
That's not true, so for instance if you bully someone so much that he ends up killing himself, that's his fault and you are not responsible at all?

Of course people are responsible for other persons actions in some measure, thinking that you are not is just selfish and a way to sleep better at night.

PD: I didn't mean blindrhythm was necessarily responsible for Sampson leaving.

Last edited:

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
That's not true, so for instance if you bully someone so much that he ends up killing himself, that's his fault and you are not responsible at all?

Of course people are responsible for other persons actions in some measure, thinking that you are not is just selfish and a way to sleep better at night.

That's the difference between malign and benign socializing, you force one on someone while the other invites the person to be social with you.

Can't stand bullies, I had one but he stopped after I punched him a few times. Took years to go to that point tho.

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
I bought a single battle pass for Fortnite a while back and I regret even doing that considering all it’s wrought. Haven’t given Epic a cent of my money since.

I wound up hating the building mechanics anyways.
I don't understand how Fortnite became such a huge thing. But then again I'm old and I don't watch streamers which means I don't care about whats hip right now.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

You are correct but you know that's not how I meant it :). Do no harm, but when you meant none and tried your best, there's clearly a point at which you mustn't blame yourself for the person's reaction.

Last edited:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Just a month after Jason Kingsley told MCV he would need a "bloody good reason" to do an Epic Store exclusive, Rebellion Developments signed just such a deal for Zombie Army 4.

On stage at Develop:Brighton this week with journalist Seth Barton, studio founders Jason and Chris Kingsley spoke more about what provoked the change in tact, conceding it was "bit of an embarrassing interview to give" as a result.

"Generally I think I would prefer not to do exclusives but I understand Epic's position with it, and quite frankly they are paying through the nose to build their store," said Jason. "All credit to them, it's fantastic, and we'll take some of their money, thank you very much."

Despite Steam being the de facto PC storefront for over a decade, Jason said the decision to go elsewhere was a "pure business case."

"I think partly it's also a bit of a kick up the backside for anybody whenever a new [competitor] comes into the marketplace," he added. "It makes you reflect. I mean, developers turn up with a brilliant game and... it makes you focus on your game as well. It's exactly the same for multinationals."

Chris compared the competition to the ancient rivalry of Sony and Microsoft in the console space, particularly when it gets "too far out of whack" like the runaway success of the PlayStation 2, which many argue led to complacency with the PlayStation 3.

Being approached by Epic for an exclusive deal was also not something that Rebellion expected to happen.

"I was aware that Epic was doing exclusives, [but] we hadn't been offered at the time," said Jason. "I didn't really think they would, because typically they go for the super big [games].

"Obviously they count our new title Zombie Army 4 as a big title, which is great, it's a really nice bonus for us. I was quite impressed by the numbers they offered."

It was all part of the "attractive package" Epic put forward, noted Jason, who said the company was "keen to help support the game."

"Sometimes, as an independent developer, you've gotta take your chances," he said. "When something like that is offered... you sort of share the risk and share the reward."

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
"I was aware that Epic was doing exclusives, [but] we hadn't been offered at the time," said Jason. "I didn't really think they would, because typically they go for the super big [games].

"Obviously they count our new title Zombie Army 4 as a big title, which is great, it's a really nice bonus for us. I was quite impressed by the numbers they offered."
Don't flatter yourself.
It's more likely they did it cos you made headlines saying you wouldn't do a deal.

And I genuinely believe this to be the case as it's obvious Tim is that damn petty.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
TLDR

"We said we don't do exclusive deals because we didn't expect to get one, but now that we did eat shit lol"
Don't flatter yourself.
It's more likely they did it cos you made headlines saying you wouldn't do a deal.

And I genuinely believe this to be the case as it's obvious Tim is that damn petty.
I agree, it's probably some kind of nonsensical petty crusade by Swenney, that guy is so full of shit.
yeah, exactly ... that's what i just said in discord

i bet the only reason why they got the offer was that previous interview

Tim probably read that and was like "oh yeah? we'll see about that"

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, they could have even said that in the interview just to provoke that response and get the deal, lol. At least they're being honest in that it's about the money and screw everything else. Though I'm sure the more people ask about it/the more they talk about it they will also start pimping what Epic Store does "for the developers" (but again wouldn't have gone exclusive without the money anyway, lol) with the same tired old arguments that have no leg to stand on.

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
At least he's honest about it which I actually appreciate. Doesn't mean I have to buy the game (I won't) but I appreciate devs who at least go 'yup did it for the money ta' rather than blaming consumers or talking shite the way Sweeney does. Whilst I also have no doubt that Sweeney would very likely have read that interview and went 'how about THIS' in terms of making an offer, with World War Z looking to be by far the most successful game on EGS, it would make sense from Epics perspective to nab another zombie game (which already has a fanbase)

Reactions: MJunioR

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I would like to see the discussions of Tim with whatever larger company's/publisher's clueless suits decide to go for it without consulting with actual devs.
  • We'd like to pay you to get your game on our store, EGS, instead of Steam!
  • EGS? What even is that?
  • Oh you don't know? It's a thing like Steam, but we offer waaaay better terms, a waaaaay lower fee even!
  • I like the cut of your jib Tim, hand over that bag of money and sign us up.
I bet that's not far from the truth, not to mention even more hands-on people have proven to (pretend to?) be totally clueless about what all Steam can do.

Reactions: lashman

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
At least he's honest about it which I actually appreciate. Doesn't mean I have to buy the game (I won't) but I appreciate devs who at least go 'yup did it for the money ta' rather than blaming consumers or talking shite the way Sweeney does. Whilst I also have no doubt that Sweeney would very likely have read that interview and went 'how about THIS' in terms of making an offer, with World War Z looking to be by far the most successful game on EGS, it would make sense from Epics perspective to nab another zombie game (which already has a fanbase)
I don't know why it makes things better just because they say "yup we wanted the money". Just because they are honest about it doesn't make the move better or something to appreciate. Being honest now just means they lied before in the interview. Words are cheap, being honest about a shit move isn't a good thing. What you actually do counts and they did shitty things; lied and baited in the interview, took a deal with the inbred Timmy and then are "honest" about it. Nothing to appreciate here.

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
I don't know why it makes things better just because they say "yup we wanted the money". Just because they are honest about it doesn't make the move better or something to appreciate. Being honest now just means they lied before in the interview. Words are cheap, being honest about a shit move isn't a good thing. What you actually do counts and they did shitty things; lied and baited in the interview, took a deal with the inbred Timmy and the are "honest" about it. Nothing to appreciate here.
It's not that it's any better, it's just that it pisses me off a little less because they're not trying to use me as a consumer as a "bargaining chip" in the PR campaign to justify why they made the switch to the EGS.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
It's not that it's any better, it's just that it pisses me off a little less because they're not trying to use me as a consumer as a "bargaining chip" in the PR campaign to justify why they made the switch to the EGS.
Still, nothing to appreciate.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It's better than hearing more bullshit about how great EGS is for devs. Which they will talk about shortly I'm sure but hey, not so much there at least. It's not like anyone said oh I can appreciate that so I'm buying their game. Still not gonna do that :p

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
It's better than hearing more bullshit about how great EGS is for devs. Which they will talk about shortly I'm sure but hey, not so much there at least. It's not like anyone said oh I can appreciate that so I'm buying their game. Still not gonna do that :p
but they just delivered their bullshit before they took the deal. and they will, like you said, deliver bullshit shortly. I just don't think this is something to appreciate. Yeah, they admitted they just wanted they money, we all know it without them saying so. why you should appreciate that i don't know. it doesn't make anything they did better. nothing. meh, carry on.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
I don't understand how Fortnite became such a huge thing. But then again I'm old and I don't watch streamers which means I don't care about whats hip right now.
I mean, battle royale games are genuinely cool. Gradients of success are becoming a more and more popular tool in game design (the DMC5 devs had a great talk at GDC about this,) as opposed to a simple pass/fail mechanic - so putting a focus on placing high instead of winning a binary result is interesting, plus the addition of the ability to just leave and start playing again in a different match once you die means you’re getting that rush as fast and as often as possible.

You know what’s not interesting? Someone turning into a fucking skyscraper the second you shoot them with a pistol.

Nahkapukki

Finest Finn
Sep 7, 2018
The Iciest Hole
"You know what’s not interesting? Someone turning into a fucking skyscraper the second you shoot them with a pistol. "
I mean, battle royale games are genuinely cool. Gradients of success are becoming a more and more popular tool in game design (the DMC5 devs had a great talk at GDC about this,) as opposed to a simple pass/fail mechanic - so putting a focus on placing high instead of winning a binary result is interesting, plus the addition of the ability to just leave and start playing again in a different match once you die means you’re getting that rush as fast and as often as possible.

You know what’s not interesting? Someone turning into a fucking skyscraper the second you shoot them with a pistol.
That building thing is the gameplay thing that I dislike in it and the general aesthetics annoy me. Also one guy in my gaming group put over 2000€ in Fortnite for the skins and shit so it's predatory as hell while aimed at the younger audience.

Reactions: xinek and lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That building thing is the gameplay thing that I dislike in it and the general aesthetics annoy me. Also one guy in my gaming group put over 2000€ in Fortnite for the skins and shit so it's predatory as hell while aimed at the younger audience.
meanwhile you have epic literally saying they aren't making any money on fortnite ...

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
meanwhile you have epic literally saying they aren't making any money on fortnite ...
Don't read the crap that EA were spouting today in their turn under questions. Sheeshz.
I hope the MPs call everyone back and call them out on their bullshit, it'll never happen but i can dream.

Reactions: goat and lashman