News Epic Games Store

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019
Seriously this is what Randy said from his various twitter rantings :-

Epic has published a near term road map. This road map includes a look into things they are committing to. If I were a betting man, I would expect that there are more things that happen than what they are committing to. We also must acknowledge that Borderlands 3 does not exist today but rather it will exist in September. The store will be different when the game launches. It will become a boon to their store if they bring sufficient features to make the customer experience great for us. Epic will suffer (again) if, by the time Borderlands 3 launches, the customer experience is not good enough.

This is a tremendous forcing function for Epic. This is also really good for Borderland 3 as Borderlands 3 will be the biggest, by far, new game to arrive on the Epic store since they launched and Epic can be sure to invest huge amounts of resources specifically for the features most important for Borderlands 3. The forcing function of that will, in turn, make all those features available on a faster time-line than otherwise possible and this is good for all games from both the customer perspective and the developer/publisher perspective.
Meanwhile in the REAL world the Epic Game Store has barely changed at all.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
If free games and controversy is the only way Epic plans on directing new eyes to their storefront, maybe they should shorten the exclusivity window a bit. A large number of sales happen once a game is released, then they kinda slow down unless there's a constant stream of updates, media attention, or sales. They're doing developers a disservice by keeping them locked down to their storefront for an entire year. Give devs their money, a 45-90 day exclusivity window, then allow them to put it where they want.

Or don't, and keep playing this silly game of trying to starve big-bad Steam. I'll keep taking your free games in the meantime so I don't have to support these devs with actual money. ¯\(ツ)

Alright, I'm going to go back to laughing at Ridiculous Randy. :ROFLMAO:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
If free games and controversy is the only way Epic plans on directing new eyes to their storefront, maybe they should shorten the exclusivity window a bit. A large number of sales happen once a game is released, then they kinda slow down unless there's a constant stream of updates, media attention, or sales. They're doing developers a disservice by keeping them locked down to their storefront for an entire year. Give devs their money, a 45-90 day exclusivity window, then allow them to put it where they want.
... and we still haven't seen any sales figures beyond WWZ and Satisfactory (i'm not even counting Metro because what they showed was beyond laughable)

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Meanwhile in the REAL world the Epic Game Store has barely changed at all.
Well, they did add a minimal and manual case by case cloud save system to at least have something for the BL3 launch.

Before I was expecting them to start rolling out some updates this month to at least be somewhat ready for it. Now who knows? At this point I'm guessing half the features will be implemented by Gearbox on the game itself.
... and we still haven't seen any sales figures beyond WWZ and Satisfactory (i'm not even counting Metro because what they showed was beyond laughable)
Did that Satisfactory figure include the mega sale where they were almost paying for people to get games there? :p

Well... between Sweeney and Randy I'm guessing we will hear something on Twitter after BL3 launches.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Borderlands 2 on Steam Vs Borderlands 3 on EGS

Released in 2012 - Releases in 2019
Had Pre-Load - Does not have preload
Has achievements - Does not have achievements
Has Cloud-Saves - Uncertain if it will have cloud saves
Playable on Linux - Not playable on Linux

Does have a shopping cart
so you can check out all - Does not have a shopping cart
of the 45 DLC's without
having to go through
payment processing 45 times

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
If you buy from EGS you’re treated like a second class citizen.

At least they could discount their games until their launcher is up to industry standard.

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019

Or don't, and keep playing this silly game of trying to starve big-bad Steam. I'll keep taking your free games in the meantime so I don't have to support these devs with actual money. ¯\(ツ)

Alright, I'm going to go back to laughing at Ridiculous Randy. :ROFLMAO:
the truth is, in the not-so-good not-so-old days when PC SKUs were routinely delayed to months after the console releases 'because piracy', PC gamers still ended up buying those late ports, just not at day one pricing, and not at day one featureset (ie publishers needed to throw in at least a free DLC or two to sweeten the pot).

sure, it took them a few years to figure out they were leaving money on the table 'because piracy' (as the stated reason, the suspected reason being kickbacks from someone somewhere down the line to make the console ports look better) and get to day and date PC ports.

If these titles still end up selling way more on steam than their launch window EGS exclusive counterparts and the math works out as $EGS sales + $moneyhat < $day one steam sales, those exclusivity deals will start drying up unless those moneyhats get even bigger

Reactions: lashman

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Granted I have a terrible memory but iirc you could preload HL2 on Steam 15 years ago lol

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Granted I have a terrible memory but iirc you could preload HL2 on Steam 15 years ago lol
yup

Reactions: warp_

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Almost? That's litterally what Epic did. 😊
Well, you still had to give money to the store.... but every purchase was costing them (guarantee sales or not).
In the case of Satisfactory...it was $6 from the regional price of $16 over here. That puts a huge asterisk in those sales numbers.

To be... "fair", while you could pre-load HL2, the problem was activating it on the release day. Steam servers didn't exactly handle the load very well. I think it took at least a day or two for me to be able to finally unlock it.

But that was 15 years ago, and servers crapping out on launch days is one of the reasons why pre-loads were/are very useful.

With Fortnite, Epic obviously have the capacity to cope with the bandwidth requirements these days, but I'm still hoping the store comes crashing down on the launch of BL3.

Sidenote: The app is "clunky" to say the least, but I was able to buy Eliza today on Steam and start the download remotely. How long for EGS to be able to do that? :p

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
With Fortnite, Epic obviously have the capacity to cope with the bandwidth requirements these days, but I'm still hoping the store comes crashing down on the launch of BL3.
I wonder if they have a system/API for inviting or joining friends in a gaming session for Borderlands. Does Fortnite have something like that already or would this be a new feature they'd have to implement?

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
To be... "fair", while you could pre-load HL2, the problem was activating it on the release day. Steam servers didn't exactly handle the load very well. I think it took at least a day or two for me to be able to finally unlock it.
Presumably that was the day you signed up for steam, so it was the double whammy of registering + verifying a new account, and then the activation process.

Myself and everyone on my steam friends list who bought HL2 had almost no problems, because we already had activated and verified accounts.
In fact I literally impulse bought HL2 on the morning it came out, and it was installed and ready to play by the time I got home from work, which was a pretty big novelty to me at the time

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
I wonder if they have a system/API for inviting or joining friends in a gaming session for Borderlands. Does Fortnite have something like that already or would this be a new feature they'd have to implement?
There should be something available because World War Z and Satisfactory supports things like that and I don't think they made something themselves (but who knows really).

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Who would have thought that Randy Pitchford would turn out to be a lying sack of shit
I'm not gonna feel sad at all if the BL3 release on EGS will be a complete disaster. On the contrary: it would be hilarious to see Randy's reactions. And I won't exactly feel sorry for Epic or the people supporting their shitty moneyhatting tactics either. Epic's lack of efforts to improve their store is another reason why exclusivity deals on pc should die asap.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm not gonna feel sad at all if the BL3 release on EGS will be a complete disaster. On the contrary: it would be hilarious to see Randy's reactions. And I won't exactly feel sorry for Epic or the people supporting their shitty moneyhatting tactics either. Epic's lack of efforts to improve their store is another reason why exclusivity deals on pc should die asap.
I will fucking hate it either way. In one unlikely case, BL3 is successful and the model's demise is delayed. In the other, GBX tanks and who do you think gets the boot first in allocation of resources?

That's right, BBI and Homeworld. Fuck that Pitchford bellend, seriously. So much more was at stake than his little ego in this.

Reactions: Ge0force and Nabs

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Not only Valve did allow preloading Valve did allow playing while you downloaded game. in 2004. (Though this feature was only supported for Source engine / GCF games and was later removed). The DLC workaround that Valve currrently tells you to use for this, is so shitty no one wants to support it, probably somewhat thanks to Mortal Kombat X release being fucked up due to it.

Reactions: lashman

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Remember how games were supposed to be cheaper on EGS because of the smaller cut?
I don't think this was ever a thing, but it was a projection. Just like how games are as expensive digitally as they are retail at launch despite you not getting a physical copy with digital.

Over time, digital becomes cheaper, but gamers seem not to mind paying the " brand new" tax.

At any rate, the developer is theoretically supposed to be making more money with EGS, but those profits are not being passed down to the consumer, and that's where the myth of "games supposed to be cheaper on EGS."

It's the same mental mistake that the "down with capitalism" types make in one thread, and then they're stanning for EGS in another.

both are bad, IMO

Reactions: Ge0force

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
I don't think this was ever a thing, but it was a projection. Just like how games are as expensive digitally as they are retail at launch despite you not getting a physical copy with digital.

Over time, digital becomes cheaper, but gamers seem not to mind paying the " brand new" tax.

At any rate, the developer is theoretically supposed to be making more money with EGS, but those profits are not being passed down to the consumer, and that's where the myth of "games supposed to be cheaper on EGS."

It's the same mental mistake that the "down with capitalism" types make in one thread, and then they're stanning for EGS in another.

both are bad, IMO
Pretty sure they were parading around Metro Exodus as an example of how games will be cheaper because of the lower cut.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Remember when Randy Pitchford said that Borderlands 3 being Epic Exclusive would force Epic to implement features into their store for it's release. Who would have thought that Randy Pitchford would turn out to be a lying sack of shit ........ and that is the nicest thing anyone said about Randy today.
I mean, they technically did implement the features of their store. None.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
The fact that the game has multiple publishers probably makes an EGS deal harder. This probably has to do with Square Enix’s inability to do physical copies in those territories.

But it sucks if you live in EU/AUS and want to boycott Deep Silver.

Reactions: Ge0force

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
The fact that the game has multiple publishers probably makes an EGS deal harder. This probably has to do with Square Enix’s inability to do physical copies in those territories.

Techland is self publishing the game on PC so if they wanted to go EGS only Koch and Square cant really stop them.

Reactions: C-Dub

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

Buym steam directly or digitally.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I’m willing to support developers and publishers who do an EGS exclusive because I get it. The industry is tough, yada yada. I won’t buy their game on EGS, and I may wait until that specific game is super cheap on another store, but THQ Nordic, or whatever their new umbrella corp’s name is, can get fucked.

So much dodgy shit going on with those guys on so many different levels, the worst of it being the 8chan stuff.