News Epic Games Store

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
My brother got it with his new GPU.
It's gorgeous and I like the tone and setting.
Unluckily I can not find it anywhere to buy.
Revealed content
Family Share with your brother. It's completely DRM free. Just DL it and play it from your hdd.

Reactions: Stevey

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I expect it to be on Game Pass soon, just like several other EGS exclusives.

But yeah, I'm with Alexandros: I feel alienated by remedy with all their shitty exclusivity deals. I've enjoyed Quantum Break (which I got with Humble Monthly) a lot, but I don't feel the need to play Control. And because of EGS exclusivity, I probably never will.
I hate QB. Bought it on Steam during their first sale. I was bored to death.
Control seems to be very different. It's not linear, you are exploring a huge dungeon with many secrets and not just following linear corridors that bring you from one cut scene to another. I like that kind of level design, it is kind of similar to prey in that regard.
I like the s.c.p. foundation fan fiction so the game story resonates very well with me too.

I only played for an hour and played around with the settings. But I'd love the game to come out on game pass or any other pc platform tbh.
[Hidden content]
It is? I had no idea.
I'll test it. By using my usb stick, lol

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Close the EGS launcher for better performance, you can't make this stuff up! lol. I wonder if it's checking for changes (to your Steam Library/Friends List) or online too aggressively?

I take it GamePass is not counted in NPD which is why Control didn't sell big numbers? Everyone seems to be playing it via some free service rather than buying it.

Reactions: Milena and Ge0force

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Judging by the NPD results Control bombed horribly in the US at retail. Remedy's last three games (Alan Wake, Quantum Break, Control) were all exclusive to various platforms for some amount of time. This is how one of the best studios out there ends up without an audience.
Control is doubly exclusive, too. EGS only on PC, while patches seem to be PS4 exclusive for a while. Probably not the brightest idea if you want your game to sell well.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
That is one of my fears with EGS, pubs/devs getting paid alot before the product is finished have no incentive to make it the best they can.

Maybe they will fix it before it releases on other plataforms, maybe they are satisfied with the money they already got and will move on.

Shit situation all around.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
I’m playing Control on Xbox and enjoying it but it really is Remedy at their most Remedy, so if you don’t dig their whole schtick you’ll be let down. The live action video is well implemented and not as jarring as Quantum Break’s weird live action TV show cutscenes. The combat has some cool powers to get creative with, but it’s really unrefined, and gets frustrating whenever they try and add much challenge to it. The Metroidvania stuff is cool, and the atmosphere has this cool creepy but never really outright scary vibe to it. Definitely the moodiest game I’ve played all year. It wears its nerd horror influences on its sleeve - it’s obviously mostly SCP Foundation, but there’s also some House of Leaves and Local 58 in there.

It’s worth a shot when it hits Steam. By then all the DLC will be out too, hopefully including the bonus stuff. Keeping track of what’s exclusive to what and who has what pre-order bonus for this game was a nightmare. Hate when publishers do that, but this is 505 Games, who also published Payday 2 - the biggest grift on Steam.

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
I’m playing Control on Xbox and enjoying it but it really is Remedy at their most Remedy, so if you don’t dig their whole schtick you’ll be let down. The live action video is well implemented and not as jarring as Quantum Break’s weird live action TV show cutscenes. The combat has some cool powers to get creative with, but it’s really unrefined, and gets frustrating whenever they try and add much challenge to it. The Metroidvania stuff is cool, and the atmosphere has this cool creepy but never really outright scary vibe to it. Definitely the moodiest game I’ve played all year. It wears its nerd horror influences on its sleeve - it’s obviously mostly SCP Foundation, but there’s also some House of Leaves and Local 58 in there.

It’s worth a shot when it hits Steam. By then all the DLC will be out too, hopefully including the bonus stuff. Keeping track of what’s exclusive to what and who has what pre-order bonus for this game was a nightmare. Hate when publishers do that, but this is 505 Games, who also published Payday 2 - the biggest grift on Steam.
Are there any difficulty settings in the game?

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
Are there any difficulty settings in the game?
There are not, sadly, so breezing through on Easy isn’t an option. A shame.

Oh, and I also want to say that no HDR - not even coming as an update - in a game this atmospheric is a reeeaaaalllll letdown.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I tried Control and found it, well, eh. It does nothing new (that’s worthwhile) with either its writing or its gameplay, so it feels by the numbers.

And a good shooter either needs to do one or the other. Control’s shootbang is competent, but the added differentiation mechanics don’t really elevate it beyond ho hum, while I found the story largely unengaging - its setting, characters and plot overall kind of just there and not really speaking to me. I also found myself noticing the awful facial animations more than actually taking things in.

All that said, it’s not Remedy’s worst. That has to be Quantum Break - that game was just a chore.

Cross that with Gears 5, which I have been enjoying the shit out of. For that, as per Gears, the shootbang element is really enjoyable and they do things with the gameplay rote that spices it up.

I probably won’t bother grabbing Control once it hits Steam.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
I definitely need to try Gears 5, considering I did the mega-cheap Game Pass Ultimate exploit during E3. I hear nothing but great things even from fans who are totally jaded on the series.

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I figured something was up when i noticed that any thread about Epic degenerated into a stream of "Fix Fortnite" posts. I didn't realise it was still an issue, i don't play or follow Fortnite so i have no idea what's going on.

Reactions: Ge0force and Samson

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
I figured something was up when i noticed that any thread about Epic degenerated into a stream of "Fix Fortnite" posts. I didn't realise it was still an issue, i don't play or follow Fortnite so i have no idea what's going on.
Yeah I didn't know what was going on until yesterday either.

So apparently, they added a gigantic mech to the game that has very little reasonable counterplay:

Which apparently they admitted they added without any thought to its competitive integrity, just so kids can get easy Victory Royales. Presumably because a kid getting a Victory Royale makes them more likely to be hooked, stay around and get addicted to skins.

They also added this dumbass thing in one area where every 45 seconds or so, your character is forced to emote and dance around to a "Taco Time" song:

Anyways, it's not like its the end of the world or something for Fortnite. But I am enjoying seeing Epic have to scramble a little and hopefully waste more time and money to fix what they've created.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Yeah I didn't know what was going on until yesterday either.

So apparently, they added a gigantic mech to the game that has very little reasonable counterplay:

Which apparently they admitted they added without any thought to its competitive integrity, just so kids can get easy Victory Royales. Presumably because a kid getting a Victory Royale makes them more likely to be hooked, stay around and get addicted to skins.

They also added this dumbass thing in one area where every 45 seconds or so, your character is forced to emote and dance around to a "Taco Time" song:

Anyways, it's not like its the end of the world or something for Fortnite. But I am enjoying seeing Epic have to scramble a little and hopefully waste more time and money to fix what they've created.
I have zero idea what is happening on those videos.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I have zero idea what is happening on those videos.
As fas as I understand the situation. Epic added giant mechs into the game that are overpowered and can eliminate multiple groups of players with ease.
The usual tactic of jumping around like crazy, while building stuff doesn't help anymore. Screaming in high pitched noises on stream and being dressed like a clown also does not provide any kind of benefit, a huge problem for many Fortnite Streamers.
While a good approximation of mech vs human power, not fun for most people because of the random nature. Whoever finds a mech by luck is in a very powerful position and the remaining player-base turns into prey instead of equivalent opposition.

But I never played fortnite, so....

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Control is doubly exclusive, too. EGS only on PC, while patches seem to be PS4 exclusive for a while. Probably not the brightest idea if you want your game to sell well.
It'll be a shame if control really did bomb, been holding off while the PS4 performance gets sorted and now it has ..... I may hold out for price drop at this point

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
My favorite argument about the BL3 troubleshooting happening on the BL2 Steam forums is that "you should use the official forums."

Yeah man, I really want to sign up for a hundred different private forums to fix my games, instead of using the single account access that Steam provides to those hundred forums.

:disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
My favorite argument about the BL3 troubleshooting happening on the BL2 Steam forums is that "you should use the official forums."

Yeah man, I really want to sign up for a hundred different private forums to fix my games, instead of using the single account access that Steam provides to those hundred forums.

:disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob::disapproval-blob:
It always pretty easy to tell who in these discussions never actually had to troubleshoot a PC game. Yeah, it always "nice" to have to register in five places to try to find people having the same problem and/or a solution. And it is specially awesome if it's an old game and the official forum may or may not be falling apart :p

But honestly, my favorite argument is not that one but instead is the "Steam forums are 90% racist/sexist/gamergates.... (and it's all Valve's fault) so go to.... reddit for support". Because nothings says "good moderation" like reddit :p

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
It always pretty easy to tell who in these discussions never actually had to troubleshoot a PC game. Yeah, it always "nice" to have to register in five places to try to find people having the same problem and/or a solution. And it is specially awesome if it's an old game and the official forum may or may not be falling apart :p

But honestly, my favorite argument is not that one but instead is the "Steam forums are 90% racist/sexist/gamergates.... (and it's all Valve's fault) so go to.... reddit for support". Because nothings says "good moderation" like reddit :p
Also, I love the idea of having to trust my private info to a dozen developer forums, because in addition to being totally up to date on game dev, I’m sure they’ve also got time to manage the net security of their forums. It’s not at all as though I’ve gotten emails from dev forums where they got hacked and leaked all of our info!

Moderation issues aside, I actually enjoy using Reddit well enough. But I find it hard to believe that anyone who suggests using that for troubleshooting issues has ever tried using Reddit for that. Reddit’s inherent design (voted-upon threads that cycle off the front page forever) means there’s no place that ever aggregates issues. A forum thread can have people discuss issues for months in a single thread. A Reddit thread, unless stickied, disappears in a day, which means you get repeat threads clogging things up (and therefore often getting downvoted).

I went on Reddit to troubleshoot something in GreedFall last night, and there were like ten different threads with the issue, and only one of them had the actual answer.

Doctor Ironic

Mar 18, 2019
I saw someone say after they refunded it they could still play the game by navigating to the folder and launching it in there. With the online features too!

This was an issue I first saw back in EGS' first few months. Glad to see they've progressed so much since then.
This doesn’t surprise me. The first Borderlands came out before I was old enough to get a job so me and my friends pirated it and you could still play it online as long as you had a free Gamespy account. Absolutely hilarious that they learned nothing over the last decade.

Reactions: ISee

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
The forums shit is the easiest thing in the world to figure out. People are lazy fucks, before they care about privacy, or other things..

Three clicks to forums on steam.

Three tabs, 20+ clicks to sign up for new forum.

FunnyJay