News Epic Games Store

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
If he gave a damn he'd moneyhat someone with a Store and use their code but that would take away from him taking things away from Steam which is ultimately what he wants. "It is not enough that EGS succeeds, Steam must fail.".
/puts on tinfoilhat

Conspiracy theory time!!!! After reading that article about all of the gaming companies that Tencet has their tendrils in, could Timmy's crusade against Steam possibly be related to the fact that it is not a publicy-traded company, and is thus off-limits to Tencet? Hmmm....

/removes tinfoilhat

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
/puts on tinfoilhat

Conspiracy theory time!!!! After reading that article about all of the gaming companies that Tencet has their tendrils in, could Timmy's crusade against Steam possibly be related to the fact that it is not a publicy-traded company, and is thus off-limits to Tencet? Hmmm....

/removes tinfoilhat
About Tencent owning 25% of Blizzard...

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
You can either buy or destroy competition. No conspiracy needed here, it is standard capitalist business practice.
I'm not saying it is their prime objective or the reason they invested into Epic though. But the anti steam agenda is pretty obvious and understandable from a business pov. Steam is the alpha dog, in epics way and can't be bought. Destroying it makes sense.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Somebody on Reddit called out Tim because of the recent "coding is hard" argument and made a good post.
Tim himself even took notice.

I find this delicious, especially considering how ... daunting reading TAOCP is, and how few people have actually gone cover to cover with it. There are multiple levels to that troll :).

Reactions: xinek and ISee

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
I don't follow Fortnite events, so I don't know if something like what happened to Blizzard's event could happen in a Fortnite event (interview of a winner), but if so, then we'll see how Tencent reacts (if they do) about it.

But it looks like a preemptive kick in the nuts of Tencent, I'll be surprised they swallow it without a word. World is looking at China about Blizzard's ugly move and NBA trouble, I don't know where this could lead.

Reactions: Samson

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
It's a good statement (assuming of course he stands by it), and honestly, I'm not sure that Valve would take such a strong stance in defense of Dota professionals.
I don't trust a single american entertainment company to not lick chinese boots. That includes Valve and Epic.

Generic supportive tweets are cheap, specially when you don't really expect someone speaking out or need to actually make a statement about the situation. It's the gaming PR equivalent of "thoughts and prayers".

Reminder that Blizzard's statement also said that they "stand by one's right to express individual thoughts and opinions".

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019
Yup I am with Stone Ocean here, talk is cheap especially from someone like Timmy. I mean have we forgotten how many times Timmy has said he would either "not do something" or "stop doing something" only to have him continue doing it ?

I believe Tencent owns well over 40% of Epic and Timmy keeps trying to persuade us they have NO influence whatsoever. So yeah what Timmy posted is pretty much a corporate "thoughts and prayers" croc of shit.

Reactions: unknownhero

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
It's only a statement, but honestly it already is a lot more than we are seeing from almost everywhere else. If (big if) Epic's maintains this position, that's a very good thing, regardless of how I feel about EGS.

Even with Tencent owning 40% of Epic, I think Valve is more vulnerable here. A lot of Steam recent growth comes from China. What's the status of the official chinese service? Also they just had the Dota TI over there too.

Taking a strong stance on this would probably cost Valve a lot, so I'm curious of what will happen if some Dota player/announcer/etc says something about HK.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
No post about Tim's answer about free speech being supported by his company ?

It changes nothing about what I think of Epic methods and him being an asshole 99% of the time on twitter, but I can't blame him for this statement. Even if it's a PR stunt, it means something these days.
I still think Sweeney is an asshole but at least he seems to be not a Blizzard asshole.

Yet that needs to be shown else it is just hollow tweets.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018

This thread is something everyone should have in mind right now.

PC-Patriot

Press Any key, where the hell is it ?
Aug 5, 2019

This thread is something everyone should have in mind right now.
I honestly am not a huge fan of the growing infiltration of Tencent in the games industry. I am kinda relieved that Steam has absolutely nothing to do with Tencent whatsoever, they don't own a single percentage point share in valve (as far as I can see). Unlike certain other companies that bent over backwards to get 330mill in blood money from them and gave them over 40% of the company and two spots on the board of directors.

This is kinda why I don't believe for a single second that Timmy would stick to his guns after all he was quick enough to accept their blood money. I can't say I am doing any huge boycott of Blizzard because to be honest Blizzard/Activision never produced anything I was interested in buying anyway. About the only Blizzard product I touched was Destiny 2 when it was given away free briefly. But I hated having another client running so ended up uninstalling and deleting the client and game.

However this is something western companies need to remember Tencent is NOT investing in you because they want to make money. It is a state owned and run company the only thing Tencent is interested in is buying influence. What I don't understand is if I can see this (it is as plain as the nose on me fucking face) why can't more intelligent business people see this ? or is it a case of they can see this but fuck that give me that moolah.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Well maybe this experience make him, and other arrogant SOBs like him, better.

We have to hope that people will do better, we need to offer second chances.

What they ll do with them is what will make them be.

All i am saying is that maybe he ll see the light of empathy now.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I’m gonna be honest. I respect a man that can keep his word. If shit hits the fan and Tim doesnt take back his comments, I will gladly buy some games on his piece of shit store.

but we’ll see

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I’m gonna be honest. I respect a man that can keep his word. If shit hits the fan and Tim doesnt take back his comments, I will gladly buy some games on his piece of shit store.

but we’ll see
Doesn't make any of the shit he does any less shit and shouldn't be forgiven for until he stops doing said shit. If he stands by what he said then praise that and I will also but I'm still not ok with the other stuff.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019

but we’ll see
I ll gladly buy something from his store when the exclusivity bullshit stops and when at a deep sale. He caused so much disruption to be let off so easy by me.

Ah and if he stops being an asshole, that will help a lot.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
I would be more open to buy games at the Epic Store if Sweeney just stopped talking.

Reactions: Arsene

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It’s good that Sweeney spoke out about this and I hope he keeps his word.

That said, this doesn’t change anything about me waiting to put money into EGS until it provides a compelling service package.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Doesn't make any of the shit he does any less shit and shouldn't be forgiven for until he stops doing said shit. If he stands by what he said then praise that and I will also but I'm still not ok with the other stuff.
I ll gladly buy something from his store when the exclusivity bullshit stops and when at a deep sale. He caused so much disruption to be let off so easy by me.

Ah and if he stops being an asshole, that will help a lot.
Nah I'm good. I'm not about to be handing participation awards for being a reasonably decent human fucking being.
Oh dont get me wrong, he is still a jackass. I meant a situation where Tencent actively tries to fuck with him financially or otherwise. I’m not going to pour money into the EGS just for saying this.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Well, it's all fine and dandy when the easy life is on but if you want to properly judge people you should do this when the iron is hot.

And what do you know? The upper management of Blizzard are hypocrites and only care about money.

What a thrilling surprize!

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Well, it's all fine and dandy when the easy life is on but if you want to properly judge people you should do this when the iron is hot.

And what do you know? The upper management of Blizzard are hypocrites and only care about money.

What a thrilling surprize!
it's almost like we're all living under a system that encourages and rewards that kind of behaviour

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
The problem with Tim's statement is that while it sounds nice, it's far too broad and too easily pushed to the other extreme. It's actually a pretty common policy I believe for game companies to have a "no politics" stance during their tournaments, however the "punishment" is usually minor (a fine) to none. Acti-Blizzard reacted with basically a nuke, and effectively stood not just for the CCP but all of their unethical policies and politics. If they had just issued a "no politics" fine and moved on, I doubt anyone would be having this conversation.

All it takes is someone to say something hateful in a Fortnite interview before Epic have to renege on Tim's statement, although obviously more people would support that. It's just really dumb to say something so blanket when you should know it's not actually true.

Either way, a somewhat good if naive statement about free speech does not otherwise negate the damage and harm Epic is causing with their store nonsense. It is worth acknowledging as it is, in the context of talk about Hong Kong, but doesn't affect my opinion of Epic in any way.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I cant see a day when I will ever buy a game on the eggs.

Its never going to be a good client and Im at a stage in life where there is no game that i 'must' have so if its trapped on EGS then i just pass and buy something else.

Also i feel that the way they have gone about entering the PC market shows a complete lack of respect for us the customers.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Sweeney can talk all the shit he wants but at the end of the day he has nothing to lose by provoking the Chinese govt. Fortnite isn't huge in China (may even be banned irrc) and neither is EGS.

Blizzard on the other hand spent many years trying to break into the Chinese market. And eventually they did. I remember reading an article where Overwatch sold like 5 million on PC in China alone. Same thing with Valve. It was well noted several years ago that over 50 million Chinese people created a Steam account to play Dota and PUGB. They spent so many years trying to penetrate that market. A lot of work went into that and that work was successful.

There are companies with something to lose in all of this. Epic is not one of those companies. Sweeney knows exactly what he is doing and people shouldn't be giving him the benefit of the doubt for such a blank statement.

EDIT: Also if Sweeney is so in favor of free speech....then why is he so opposed to Steam user reviews? People spend their hard earned money so shouldn't they be allowed to review these products and share their thoughts? Another cowardly example from a guy who is just running his mouth on twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: xinek and C-Dub

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
and honestly, I'm not sure that Valve would take such a strong stance in defense of Dota professionals.
China is probably by far the biggest market for DotA in any statistic (some TI8 numbers even had China at 85%+ of total viewership), they aren't hoping to grow big in China, they are. One of the stories at TI has always been how the chinese teams do vs the rest of the world combined because quite often that was an even fight. I'd be extremely surprised to see them doing or saying anything to piss off the CCP.

Reactions: Samson

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think the answer to this is to just not go into China at all, considering it makes your company ethically compromised in ways that are unpalatable to your domestic audiences.

But capitalism doesn’t do ethics that are incompatible with the bottom line, so here we are. Lets be under no allusion, if Sweeney had a product that was big in China they would be oddly silent now.