|OT| GOG - Old Games, New Games, Good Games!

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
I remember the ice skating being bugged, so you can never complete the third lap. I believe it was some sort of copy protection?
That bug is still in the GOG release... just tried it out.
That's so weird. I wonder what the bug is about. Is it Not a copy protection bug?
Or is the GOG version cracked? 😂

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I remember the ice skating being bugged, so you can never complete the third lap. I believe it was some sort of copy protection?

That's so weird. I wonder what the bug is about. Is it Not a copy protection bug?
Or is the GOG version cracked? 😂
It is weird indeed! It might actually be the case that the GOG version is cracked? Since the game doesnt ask for the copy protection codes when it usually would (and of course, no codewheel came with it)... and I dont suppose they had the source code to remove copy protection properly, maybe they simply needed to use a cracked version. Or its simply a bug, who knows...

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Is there a scanline option / support in dosbox ? :blobdrool:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I see only "Epic Games Store" in that screenshot, so I'm guessing GOG got a bunch of money (and probably a cut from sales?) from Epic to do this to push their store? Because if EGS is "integrated" into the GOG Galaxy client, more and more people might end up using that...
Clever move on Epics part. Annoyingly so. :disapproval-blob:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I see only "Epic Games Store" in that screenshot, so I'm guessing GOG got a bunch of money (and probably a cut from sales?) from Epic to do this to push their store? Because if EGS is "integrated" into the GOG Galaxy client, more and more people might end up using that...
Clever move on Epics part. Annoyingly so. :disapproval-blob:
I mean, you still have to want to buy from EGS even when in Galaxy. A third party shopping cart won't create that demand

• Toucan
Reactions: FunnyJay

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I mean, you still have to want to buy from EGS even when in Galaxy. A third party shopping cart won't create that demand
True, but for those GOG users who dont care about giving Epic money, it might be enticing. They would have the EGS shop and library baked right into their GOG client. More people might be swayed to buy from the EGS if its right there on GOG instead of having to use extra software. Of course I dunno how its gonna be used in practice (and Im not gonna make an EGS account to try).

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The older version of GOG Galaxy was more stable and on my opinion better than this weird integration monstrosity.

I get what they were going for, but the result is really so-so.
I agree. I use it for all my non-steam installs (gog, physical, twitch, etc), but they seem to be adding bloat before they really nail down some of the basics..
Still it's my go-to more often than Steam, so it's easy to overlook for a lot. Straight to library and ignore the rest

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I'ma need these SH games to release after mid October at the earliest @3@
...actually these I may get during their Winter Sale, just to be on the safe side.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I really wish there was a way to get a slimmer GOG client. I liked the idea of Galaxy 2.0 having all my games in one place, but third party launchers like Playnite have far and away surpassed it in terms of speed and useful functionality, and now it's just a bloated mess that feels unintuitive. At this point I just want GOG games on my Galaxy client.

As for them putting EGS games on their store, this seems dumb. There will always be this issue where Epic gets to hawk its wares on GOG but only games GOG doesn't have, so it doesn't really give you much choice - you just get to buy a bunch of shitty Epic exclusives that you couldn't get on GOG anyway. So really, only Epic wins, because this just legitimises them and they sure as shit would never return the favour.

More interesting functionality in a client would be a store selector, which just takes you to the webpage of each store, lets you buy games, maybe have a price comparison plugin built in (i.e. if you're browsing Steam and a key is cheaper elsewhere, get a little warning), and then once you've bought the game it'll auto-redeem it if it's a key and tell the client on your PC to install. Once it's installed it'll then add the game to the launcher like it's one seamless system.

You wouldn't even need to get permission from any of the store owners because it'd just be a webpage in the client, and when installing games it'd just hook into functionality already built into the client. Make it open source like Playnite is now, and job done.

Deleted member 113

tbh this isnt really "putting EGS games on their store" but rather running EGS lite to purchase shit inside galaxy client (probably not to have to load whole EGS client like it was before)
This is still a frankly incomprehensible "partnership", in which GOG is sending money/customers to EGS, a competing store that has been actively working on locking out games from launching on other platforms, GOG included.

I have no doubs there is some kind of deal behind it, because it just doesn't make sense for CD Projekt to do so otherwise (I mean, seriously, what would they gain otherwise by getting people to spend their money on another unrelated store?).
And, it's very disingenuous from them to say "hey, you can now buy games from other platforms/stores", when essentially, this means a single one, and it only benefits Epic.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
This is still a frankly incomprehensible "partnership", in which GOG is sending money/customers to EGS, a competing store that has been actively working on locking out games from launching on other platforms, GOG included.

I have no doubs there is some kind of deal behind it, because it just doesn't make sense for CD Projekt to do so otherwise (I mean, seriously, what would they gain otherwise by getting people to spend their money on another unrelated store?).
And, it's very disingenuous from them to say "hey, you can now buy games from other platforms/stores", when essentially, this means a single one, and it only benefits Epic.
... and they're also handling 30-day refunds on those egs games themselves ... for some bizarre reason

• Eyes
Reactions: Deleted member 113

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
... and they're also handling 30-day refunds on those egs games themselves ... for some bizarre reason
if the payment goes through their processor rather than epic's then they'd have to be the ones to handle refunds as well so that's not too weird on the face of it.

could mean gog is getting a taste of the sale if that's the case. essentially the digital version of buying one of those download game cards at target/walmart/gamestop.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Pommes

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
My thoughts exactly. Epic is acting like a f*cking virus, crawling into every crack of pc gaming in order to take control of games distribution.

It's really, really sad that GoG is working with Epic as well now. But no doubt Epic paid them lots of money as usual.

Oheao

Jun 29, 2019
I wish Steam and GOG had official integration. I prefer getting games on GOG but Steam's UI I prefer, and evidently since Steam is more popular it makes getting games on GOG a harder sell.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I wish Steam and GOG had official integration. I prefer getting games on GOG but Steam's UI I prefer, and evidently since Steam is more popular it makes getting games on GOG a harder sell.
Why does steam's popularity have any role in that?

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Hey look another giveaway!

is free in a giveaway on GOG at the moment !
I played and beat the entire game recently it's made by the creator of Soldat if you've ever heard of/played that but it's pretty fun platform shooter (I suggest playing it on a lower difficultly then the one I did as harder difficulties make it kind of stupid)

Reactions: lashman and Pommes

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
GOG currently has a Black Friday sale:

There is also a Children of Morta / Visa promotion:

Some Batman games where added to GOG:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
GOG currently has a Black Friday sale:

There is also a Children of Morta / Visa promotion:

Some Batman games where added to GOG:
Are Oranges and Knight worth it? I remember Knight's pc being pretty badly panned at launch, did they get fixed up post release?