|OT| GOG - Old Games, New Games, Good Games!

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Are Oranges and Knight worth it? I remember Knight's pc being pretty badly panned at launch, did they get fixed up post release?
At least the reviews on Steam are good for Arkham Knight:
If it was buggy the reviews would probably be worse.

Reactions: lashman

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos
Apr 18, 2019
Are Oranges and Knight worth it? I remember Knight's pc being pretty badly panned at launch, did they get fixed up post release?
If you like the Arkham City formula, Oranges is definitely worth it - it obviously got a lot of flack for not adding much to that formula, but if you wanted more Arkham City, that's what you get. The story is pretty good, there's some cool boss fights, the CSI investigation stuff is played up a little bit more, and it honestly got more flack in reviews than it deserved for 'just' being a straight sequel (gameplay wise) to Arkham city.

On the flipside, Knight is super disapointing if you like the Arkham City formula, because it spends so much time actively preventing you from playing that game with shit like flying sniper drones and roaming tanks that basically force you into playing a kind of clunky mech third person shooter with the batmobile for giant chunks of the game, and crappy unavoidable horde mode defend a point type encounters, and honestly got way more praise from reviewers than it deserved and some of the backlash to that wasn't only down to technical issues at launch.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
So batmen aside, I've gotta say the remaster/release/whatever of Bloodrayne and Bloodrayne 2 are actually quite enjoyable. Not having to fiddle with the controls or hack widescreen in really makes it a lot easier to play on my htpc. It's definitely from an older time for action games, but it just happens to be from one of my favourite older periods of gaming. Would definitely recommend during one of the various sales if you've never dipped into the series

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, the Bloodrayne games aren't super great but i remember them being my solid and easy to play lazy afternoon games on the OG xbox. I'm tempted to pick them up on GOG too as it's been years since i played them..

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Honestly, i think i might have to pick up Urban Chaos again. I have an odd nostalgia for that game, dunno why.

Reactions: KainXVIII
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Pretty awesome deal for some amazing games, the entire original thief series is on sale for 90% off

They're basically .69 cents each (Nice)
If you don't own them I highly recommend grabbing them, the discount lasts for the next 8ish days

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
OMFG! Kao the Kangaroo is a straight-up reminder of the lessons we've learnt regarding platforming and camera control in a 3D space. I remember when games like this were the new thing.

As for the PC port I had to edit the Kao.ini to set the fullscreen flag. I've used dgVoodoo2 to make it look nice and i'm using AntiMicro to remap the controller to the keybindings. I also used HxD to set the 16:9 flags in the exe.

We've sure come a long way since then.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Alextended I just liked the way it was a different spin on the Good/Evil side of things and being a newer entry in the series meant it ran well, looked and sounded good and was generally a fun time for me after bouncing off some of the earlier games where i just wasn't in the mood for them. It's been a few years but i don't remember anything terrible about the game. It can be tricky and i do remember reloading often after failing some of the harder battles and i suppose you could say it becomes repetitive but that's true of any game like this.

So i don't know if you'll like it but it hit the right marks for me to finish it and now after a couple of years i've been thinking of a replay.

Reactions: Alextended

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Falcom 40th Anniversary Sale. Not all of them are on their historical lows, but very close to it.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Figured I would mention a game I think someone mentioned off hand forever ago that I have now been following because it looks awesome that now got their big indie dev wish and was accepted on GOG and is listed as coming soon for them!

I think it looks really cool! Can't wait for it

(Yes I know it's the GOG thread but it's also coming to steam)

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Looking at CDPR's financials on page 102, GOG generated 343,748,000 PLD (~$91 million) last year and earned a 20,655,000 PLD (~$5.4 million) profit. A huge chunk of that revenue was likely from Cyberpunk, but it's nice to see that they're at least profitable.
If i'm reading it correctly, despite the obvious cost increases the pandemic would have brought, GOG still managed growth YOY from 2019, so I'd say that's an added bonus - not that I myself feel that 'growth' is the be all, end all of economic goals, but it's nice to see either way.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Free!

Open World Sale!
And a New Release! or two!

• Gib
Reactions: dummmyy and lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The game Disjunction is only available as a GOG key in the latest Humble Choice, and someone mentioned on the Steam forum that GOG is in bed with EGS.
"In bed with", in that the galaxy launcher allowes EGS purchases? Oh I do declare!

Summer Sale!
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
It's that time again!

Highlights:

Free!:
OpenTTD

for 2.99$ USD

For 7.99$ USD (It's 2 games)

For 6.24$ USD the last Thief game not previously on GOG!

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Well, i ended up buying a ton of old games i already have on Steam and on Retail CD in Storage somewhere but they were super cheap on GOG so now i have the DRM Free, updated to work on new PCs GOG versions too. Yay me!

There's still a couple of newer releases i might pick up in the next two weeks but i wanted to grab all the retro games i had my eye on that were mostly less than Ā£2 each and mainly about Ā£1.10 for a lot of them. I know they're old in both looks and design but sometimes i like to fireup dosbox and play some old games for a few days. It's also good to play these games with patches as back in the day it was only when the patch was put on a magazine CD that i even knew there was one. lol.

Reactions: Pommes and lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Well, i ended up buying a ton of old games i already have on Steam and on Retail CD in Storage somewhere but they were super cheap on GOG so now i have the DRM Free, updated to work on new PCs GOG versions too. Yay me!

There's still a couple of newer releases i might pick up in the next two weeks but i wanted to grab all the retro games i had my eye on that were mostly less than Ā£2 each and mainly about Ā£1.10 for a lot of them. I know they're old in both looks and design but sometimes i like to fireup dosbox and play some old games for a few days. It's also good to play these games with patches as back in the day it was only when the patch was put on a magazine CD that i even knew there was one. lol.
I've been eyeing Ghost Recon for so long despite owning physical copies, I just havent been able to justify the $3 to myself. Daikatana also has been calling to me, and I know better, but it's still there....

• Comfy
Reactions: FunnyJay
OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Mentioning these since some are newly announced from various E3 things and I don't think got mentioned as being GOG titles as well:

Project Warlock II

Minute of Islands

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
EA is making GOG delist Ultima Underworld 1+2, Syndicate Plus, and Syndicate Wars on June 28th from GOG so they will no longer be for purchase. People who already own them will be able to download/purchase them still however.

So if you have an interest in them be sure to grab them!

I strongly suggest grabbing them if you have any inclination towards them because I think they're awesome.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
EA is making GOG delist Ultima Underworld 1+2, Syndicate Plus, and Syndicate Wars on June 28th from GOG so they will no longer be for purchase. People who already own them will be able to download/purchase them still however.

So if you have an interest in them be sure to grab them!

I strongly suggest grabbing them if you have any inclination towards them because I think they're awesome.

Is this a sign of EA pulling more games or possibly of using the IP? Do they still even own either of them? That Skrillex shooter was like a decade ago.

OP
Madventure

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Is this a sign of EA pulling more games or possibly of using the IP? Do they still even own either of them? That Skrillex shooter was like a decade ago.
It's just listed as "the publisher" asking to delist the games but the only publisher that I know about for those games is Bullfrog & ORIGIN and that's part of EA

To be honest it's like literally the only time that I know of a publisher delisting a game from GOG since some of those have been on there since it launched, I kind of find it weird as hell.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I already had the Ultima games but i did end up buying quite a few new old games in the GOG summer Sale which is great but not what i intended. I'd had screenshots of my carts from the start of the sale and ended up buying most of what i had thought about. Ended up spending about Ā£40 or so and there's probably some real stinkers there but i've been thinking about supporting DRM Free stuff more and there we go.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I saw the name "Doki Doki Gravity Drive" and thought "I wonder how long it will be before people are moaning about the "DokiDoki" part because obviously only one game can have that in the name"... and yup, not long at all. lol.

Reactions: Spamlynguist