|OT| GreedFall: Gothic Held At Ransom, Please Pay With Fashion

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Oh dear. Battling with my PC and some FFXIV it is then... though i may put an hour into GreedFall if i'm still awake enough at midnight. I've a touch of insomnia lately so it's more than likely i will play for a bit.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
That stream was preeetty cool
But they kind of ignored all of the questions that were different

Don't see how you can answer "you cant jump" 12 different times in 12 different ways or why does the game look bad in in the stream "Well its because we're streaming it"

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Fuck it... I'm risking it ... bought. Every impression so far has been positive and on paper is exactly what I want on a game these days.

Now to spend hours trying to decide which class to play :p

Last edited:

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
Not really saying much, ELEX also hit 1st place for a while. But definitely hope it will help sales.
The RPG market is in a pretty different place than it was in Fall 2017. I don’t think this is going to hit BioWare levels or anything, but it could be the step that takes them to a more secure AA position if impressions are positive.

I’m crossing my fingers.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Fanatical has greedfall for 13% off for the next hour + and I have a coupon for another 10% off that applies to it making it 39$ (At least for USA) if someone wants the coupon, I can't afford it at the moment but the discount on fanatical only lasts for a little

Just figured I'd offer while it's available, send a PM or quote me or something

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I think His Majesty was saying that for games like this Twitch views don't necessarily mean sales, at least i hope so. Otherwise, grrrrrrrr, bad mouthing ELEX...

I do hope that some of the people watching Twitch convert to sales though!

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
It's in a strange state for me Store says Play but then pops up "Not released" and my Library says Pre-Loaded.
It's on it's way!

edit: as Dandy says, it's started extracting for me! 23:09 exactly when the Download manager said.

Reactions: arts&crafts

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
Oh shit, reviews are good.

Buy from Karak:

70 from Screen Rant:
GreedFall does lack the polish of games made by larger developers, but its an earnest effort that results in a solid if not especially remarkable gameplay experience. It draws similarities with everything from Assassin's Creed for its attention to historical detail, to Dragon Age for its in-depth role-playing and customization. For those interested in an action RPG that focuses above and beyond on telling an engaging and unique story about a era of great change and tumult, then GreedFall is certainly worth checking out.
VentureBeat is in progress but calls it a potential "sleeper hit":
I’m invested enough in the way Greedfall’s fantasy world doesn’t shy away from brushing up against real history, its well-paced writing, and endearing characters to happily continue trucking through it, despite some of its technical shortcomings.

Two of its major aspects, character progression and narrative choice-making, will take some more time to get a full read on, but I will say I’ve run into some great scenarios so far that have made me feel like the choices I’m making in both of those areas will have real consequences. If that’s the case, Greedfall could be an RPG sleeper-hit.
IGN in-progress review provisionally at an 8:
With all there is to do, I may be only about halfway through this behemoth of an RPG. But I’m enjoying myself just about every step of the way. The Technomancer was disappointing, but I still wanted to see other games try the ambitious things it was attempting with more success - GreedFall delivers on that promise. There are still glitches, awkward character models, immersion-breaking re-use of assets, and an overall lack of polish that keep it from threatening Geralt’s crown, and I’ll need to find out how the story wraps up before I can pass final judgment on it. But I can already say this is going to be a crowd-pleaser for those of us who still shake our canes and talk about how the genre peaked a decade ago. We may have to eat our words before long.

Destructoid in-progress largely positive still:
Is Greedfall janky? Yes. Does it detract from the overall enjoyment of the game? Not yet! The framerate also chugs more than I think it should, but I haven't played around with the options too much yet to find out the perfect selection of options. For now, I will continue to max out my charisma as much as possible and (hopefully) talk my way out of just about every encounter I come across.
RPGSite gave an 8:
I don't know if it's appropriate to think of Greedfall as a sort of substitute, merely as a replacement for some other RPG. While it shares several of the same trimmings, I ended up finding an experience that was unique and stands on its own merits. I feel like it's an easy game to criticize for lots of reasons that I wouldn't disagree with -- but I was thoroughly impressed with the handling of the setting, the tone of the narrative, the character interactions and how those meshed with the underlying systems and mechanics, that I simply found myself uninterested in clinging on too strongly to a list of imperfections. Greedfall is an ambitious game that punches above its weight, one that RPG fan owe it to themselves to try.

Last edited:

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
DualShockers isn't as huge a fan, 6.5:
These are just a few examples but show that Spiders has yet to overcome the jank that tends to bring down many of their games. GreedFall is constructed better than some of their previous titles, but this game is not as technically sound as the games it constantly reminds players it’s imitating. GreedFall’s moment to moment gameplay needed some cool hook, like The Technomancer’s multiple stance fighting system or a dialogue-focused structure, to ascend to greatness, but as it stands, combat dulls an otherwise sharp premise for an RPG.

GreedFall is Spiders’ best game yet, but that does not mean it is perfect. From a gameplay standpoint, players will not get anything out of this game that they can’t get in a more polished state in the Dragon Age series or The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, making GreedFall a slog to get through. That being said, the game’s unique renaissance and colonization era setting and complex factions is attractive to those that love a good world and story to sink your teeth into. GreedFall shows that we are on the cusp of a truly great game from Spiders, so I’m still looking forward to whatever they do next.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

His Majesty

Dec 31, 2018
Hey! Don't bad mouth Elex it was awesome :steam_pigblanket:
Badmouth ELEX? One of the first topics ever created on Reset Era was my ELEX shill topic :coffee-blob:

please don't ban me for linking

Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Damn. The game is currently sitting at 11k concurrent players. Significantly more players than Spiders other titles Mars War Logs (1.4k), Technomancer (1.8k) and Bound by Flame (2.5k) peaked at.

Seems like this is going to be Focus Interactive's best performing PC release of the year (They only published World War Z on console, not pc. So that doesn't count) unless The Surge 2 does even better or unless Farming Sim 20 comes to PC (Currently only announced for Switch?) because Farming Simulator is a BEAST.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
So far the game is very interesting. There are a lot of things to do in the first area, so I am still just running around doing random quests and exploring. The game seems pretty polished as far as Eurojank is concerned, but the overall graphics are a bit outdated and the lip sync isn't too hot. These haven't detracted from my enjoyment so far at least though. Turning the HUD to minimal in the settings allows you to still walk up to a street sign for directions and it feels much more immersive this way.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Some of the textures are not great, but they nailed the artstyle so the visuals are great in my eyes despite all that. The game is also not very demanding.

Reactions: Kvik

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
you're on the list! :02notes:

I'm joking, link away! :dana_blanket:

Any word on performance? The Tech Support forum on Steam Community is already on page 3. I'd rather have you folks' takes than the peanut gallery.
It's holding 60fps at 1080p on a 1070/4770k/16gb win10 setup. I'm still on the starting city though (doing side quests).

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
It's holding 60fps at 1080p on a 1070/4770k/16gb win10 setup. I'm still on the starting city though (doing side quests).
Thanks. Unlocked framerate, or hardlocked to 60fps? Earlier reports said there were stutters in the city. I assume the framepacing is consistent in your rig?

Reactions: Kurt Russell

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Thanks. Unlocked framerate, or hardlocked to 60fps? Earlier reports said there were stutters in the city. I assume the framepacing is consistent in your rig?
I locked the game to 60fps (vsync) but you can disable the lock. It was consistent for the most part, I experienced a drop to 56fps (according to the Steam overlay, I don't usually run other performance graphs things unless I'm having trouble and need to identify the culprit) when first encountering an area that had a ton of fire. It didn't happen again when I returned to that area though, so maybe it was another thing. Otherwise, solid 60fps all the way so far.

Edit: I got to the second city (which seems to be bigger) and I'm experiencing drops to the 50s now (frequently too, sadly). Dunno what causes them, I assume my fire theory was wrong.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Still in the starting city, but my impressions so far are:

• While textures are not great, I'm LOVING the visual direction
  • Combat is fast and fluid, but not great either, loving the emphasize on dodging and parrying
  • LOTS of quests already, and they offer multiple ways to complete
  • Lots of cutscenes and conversations, even with unimportant characters in side quests
  • Voice acting is great, but the lip-sync left a lot to be desired
  • Menu navigation is a bit confusing at times, there's main tab and sub-tab with different buttons
  • No shortcut for map as far as I know, and I need to open it quite often
  • The game runs great on my modest PC with everything maxed out, but I heard that it gets more demanding later

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
At least on PS4, the Map shortcut is to hold the button that brings up the menus. Instead of showing you all the menus with skills and codex stuff, takes you directly to the map. I assume there must be a similar keybind on PC.
Ah, that should be it then. I didn't think of holding the buttons and I've tried everything.

Reactions: Samson

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I mostly kept re-making my character. Not ginger enough.... WOAH! Too ginger.

My framerate bounces between 38-52. Not great, but my video card isn't exactly top of the line.

So far I agree with everyone else. Art direction is good, VA is above average, lip sync is not great, combat is fine.

I feel like I don't really get playing a mage in this game... I seem to run out of mana before an enemy is even dead. What am I supposed to do after that? Run around until Kurt finishes them off?