|OT| Honkai: Star Rail | Trails to the Wallet

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Took 80 pulls, but I got Sparkle. Then I decided, "hey, why not spend more jades?" and got her LC in 40 more pulls. I also got QQ and Hanya up E6. No Sampos though, so he'll stay at E1 I guess.

I pre-farmed for her ascension mats, but had to use all the trace mats I farmed to level her LC. I've been hoarding my fuel(I have 90 now) so I'm using that to restock the traces. I'm still playing around with her relics, but I think she's okay? I got her speed to 162 and CD to 218. But I don't have enough effect res for Keel, and I only have 2pc messenger. I have a feeling getting a pair of messenger speed boots better than the off-set piece I'm using is going to take forever.

Reactions: Ascheroth
OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
No 4* this time, huh.

It's also kind of hilarious that they've shown all these characters pre-2.0 even, but the 2nd patch already has a random nobody coming out of nowhere instead, lol.
His design is cool though.

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Boothill's design is way better than I expected, but I'm not pulling for him. There are too many other characters I want.

OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Yeah. just splash arts of completely unknown characters are just inherently less interesting than characters you already got to know via story, lore, trailers, etc.
Curious how I'll feel about him once we get to meet him. (I assume he'll show up in 2.1).

OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Fun stream. They got me back on the Acheron train with what they've shown and said. Damn you, Hoyo.
2.1 is looking very good and they've shared some interesting nuggets about stuff even beyond - 2.3 has some big Simulated Universe update (no idea whether that is "DLC" like Swarm or G&G or something else) that will include an improvement to the Planar Orbment farming hell.
March is gonna get something like the Trailblazer's Path switching related to "memories" this year.
The Xianzhou Hunt vs Abundance storyline will continue as well.
Good stuff.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Someone tell me if GNSW is coming in the weapon banner. I cannot make heads or tails of the graphics they've released.

Mildly annoyed that Luocha is coming as well. Wanted to get him but now I can't. Will have to wait for Huohuo's rerun now. Is she considered better than Luocha in any way at all or is Luocha still the best solo sustain in the game?

OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Mildly annoyed that Luocha is coming as well. Wanted to get him but now I can't. Will have to wait for Huohuo's rerun now. Is she considered better than Luocha in any way at all or is Luocha still the best solo sustain in the game?
Well I have neither so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think Luocha is the best healer in pure healing output and uses less SP, while Huo Huo offers more cleansing, an ATK buff and Energy.

OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Hoyoverse not beating the allegations that they are an anime and music company producing games on the side.

:sweaty-blob:
The effort that goes into these things is wild.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Finally confirmed that the weapon banner will have GNSW as well so at least you can get something for Acheron if her signature weapon is out of reach.

There's some chatter on Twitter that Aventurine is going to be a better sustain unit than Luocha. Probably based on leaked beta info. This is interesting because it gives some choice on who to go for if luck is with me and I get early pulls or win the 50-50s.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
There's some drama going on with mihoyo content creators (as usual) where some of them officially get priority access to unreleased content first which will cause problems for others who can't get their content out as quickly as these folks. Anyway, one of those early videos is about Acheron

The guy tries to soften the language but he's basically saying that you have to get Acheron's signature weapon if you are getting her. The other way he puts it is that if you're not going to get her signature weapon, then you should consider not getting her at all. And like, there's all the usual disclaimers that you should get her if you like her and GNSW is 'okay' but you can tell what he really believes to be true. The problem with her weapon situation has been known for a while and because of her unique mechanics there's no other real alternative to the signature weapon. Who knows, his testing was limited so maybe some other data will come later but yeah, this could be a real issue if the cost of getting Acheron is potentially +150 tickets for her weapon too.

OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Nihility as a path has a problem in that it's completely overloaded in terms of archetypes who all prefer wildly different stats. It makes the path itself fun and varied, but there are not enough Light Cones to service all these different needs, which is definitely an issue. The free ones only really benefit DoT characters. The 4* gacha ones also mostly, but have some for Debuffers as well (primarily because both DoTters and Debuffers at least have Effect Hit Rate as a shared stat). But now Acheron comes along and does neither dabble in DoTs nor need Effect Hit Rate and instead pretty much just wants traditional DPS stats, which the Path isn't really built for so far.

I do belief she'll be just fine with Good Night though and it's probably just a case of her Signature being too good instead of the option being not good enough.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
The damage difference is supposedly like 40-60% more with her signature LC, so I've pretty much decided to go fir it. If I get unlucky with her I will probably have to forget about Aventurine.

OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
The damage difference is supposedly like 40-60% more with her signature LC, so I've pretty much decided to go fir it. If I get unlucky with her I will probably have to forget about Aventurine.
Eh, if that 40-60% worse damage is still comparable to what other E0 non-signature DPS put out I don't really care, unless content starts to get meaningfully balanced around the higher numbers. Like, if an average E0S0 Jingliu, Daniel or other DPS team takes 8 cycles for a MoC floor and an average E0S0 Acheron team performs similarly, getting her E0S1 to make that say 5 cycles really does nothing other than make me shrug and continue skipping the weapon banner.
Now if she were to significantly underperform without her Cone that would be a different matter (and make me annoyed, but probably still not make me pull for her Cone, but this time out of spite, lol).

Also, trailer #2 of 3:

Fascinating stuff. They have so much cool lore in this game.
(Also, Honkai 3rd players going completely crazy over the references/eastereggs to the point I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because if feels like some blow the importance of these things so out of proportion that it feels like the actual Star Rail relevant bits get overlooked or misinterpreted by trying to forcefully tie them to the other references. Just read the description text of the Animated Short and the Emanator Special they posted on Hoyolab).

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
The 40-60% damaged deficit is when the signature is compared to S5 GNSW which is also not a very easy thing to acquire. It'll be higher if you have a lower superimposition GNSW or you use another weapon. I don't think there has been any signature weapon with this much of a disparity over 4 star options. I think 30% was the highest for Jing Yuan's weapon.

Edit: okay just had a quick look at that prydwen site. They say that Blade's and Kafka's signature weapons are 25% better than whatever baseline weapon they chose. Jing Yuan's is 16%. The other few DPS characters I checked were around the 10-11%. If 40% is accurate it's going to be a huge difference.

Last edited:
OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Yes, got one Acheron and one Gallagher in 40 pulls. The gacha gods were kind.
Still need lots of Trace upgrades, relics and I'm not even sure yet what team I'm ultimately gonna be running with her, but I've went Fu Xuan/Kafka/Black Swan/Acheron for a quick SU9 run and it was worth it for the instant kill Technique alone.

Makes going through that so much beezier, but I'm also kind of annoyed they are putting this big of a QoL upgrade behind a character. Hopefully whatever they've got planned for that big 2.3 SU update also significantly improves the experience for non-Acheron-havers and this is "only" a sort of early access stopgap workaround.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I got her as well. Took 70 pulls. I got E1 Gallagher and E9 Dan(was at E5 when I started). I did 10 pulls on the LC banner and got my GNSW to S5 as well.

I prefarmed everything for Acheron so she is 80 with maxed traces already. Still debating on whether to get her LC. Once I have a decent orb and rope for her I'll decide.

Edit: I have no impulse control. Got the LC in 60 pulls. That leaves me with enough jades to still guarantee Aventurine.

Last edited:

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019

I was at 50 pity on the character banner. Went to pity and got a Himeko eidolon. Then went to pity again and got her. Dan Heng went from E6 to about E11. Gallagher at E1. Went to pity on the weapon banner as well but got her signature. I also got 5 copies of GNSW lol. And between the two banners I managed to get Qingque up to E6 as well. All told I used up about 170 tickets and have 85 or so left.

I've been farming relics for her for about a month maybe and I'm not at all happy with what I got. Will have to continue farming more even now.

Yes, got one Acheron and one Gallagher in 40 pulls. The gacha gods were kind.
Still need lots of Trace upgrades, relics and I'm not even sure yet what team I'm ultimately gonna be running with her, but I've went Fu Xuan/Kafka/Black Swan/Acheron for a quick SU9 run and it was worth it for the instant kill Technique alone.

Makes going through that so much beezier, but I'm also kind of annoyed they are putting this big of a QoL upgrade behind a character. Hopefully whatever they've got planned for that big 2.3 SU update also significantly improves the experience for non-Acheron-havers and this is "only" a sort of early access stopgap workaround.
Yea I used the same team and did a couple of SU9 runs. Her technique killing everything except elites and trotters is absolutely hilarious. It's going to make SU so much less annoying to do now. I had actually stopped doing SU for the last 2-3 weeks cause honestly I'm fading away from this game. This at least will get me to go back to do it twice a week for the rewards.

With 85 odd tickets left I don't see any point in trying for Luocha now. We'll have an influx of tickets in this patch so maybe I can try for Aventurine but honestly I don't think there's much point in really trying for a character unless you can guarantee them. Not super keen to get Robin nor Boothill right now so I'm not really sure who I'll be saving for next.

OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Story thoughts!

Overall, great stuff.
There were a lot of fantastic character moments.
The biggest surprise is how much they made me care about Aventurine. In 2.0 he was kind of just this little annoying shit, but now I think he's an excellent character to the point I consider pulling just because of that, lol.
It's so cool how the two focal characters this update, Acheron and Aventurine, are really great foils and parallels to each other.
Aventurine follows the path of Preservation, but he is a self-destructive gambler. He is the last remaining survivor of his race, so it could be seen as him being a walking embodiment of Preservation in that regard, but his actions say the opposite. He might use others and their posessions for his gambles, but it's always only his life that he puts at stake, in a self-destructive, almost suicidal drive - but he always comes out on top because of luck.

Meanwhile, Acheron is an Emanator of Nihility in body, but does not really come across as very nihistic - which makes sense, because an Emanator of Nihility is a paradox in itself - the Aeon's power of Nihility returns everything to nothingness, so only by resisting Nihility can you exist.
All of her scenes were fantastic. With Welt, with Duke Inferno, with Sam. All around great stuff.

The Duke was great too. He wa a villain, but his worldview was fascinating. And honestly it feels like there are parallels to Sam (which makes sense because Sam is rumored to be Destruction too - honestly it feels like they've overall gotten a lot better at lining up gameplay and story paths.

Talking about Sam. They finally revealed his identity. I can't say I was surprised because I got spoiled early in 2.0 because of some shitheads on the internet, but also there were tons of hints in the game going as far back as the White Night trailer where his wing suspiciously had the same color sheme/look to it as Firefly, various things subtly hinting towards Firefly being connected to the Stellaron Hunters, etc. Still, would have felt better if I could have theorized this on my own and got the confirmation instead of getting the confirmation and theorizing backwards. But it is what it is.
Firefly/Sam is too goddamn cool though and I 500% want her. She's basically a Kamen Rider and I live for it (hell, her big move in the boss fight is basically a Rider Kick)

Anyway, moving on.
Constance made a short camea and it was great. Can't wait until the Duke's children make an appearance probably sometime after Penacony.
And Boothill got a short intro too, making a great first impression as well - nothing much to say otherwise.

Then back to more interesting things - Gallagher completely surprised me. Well not there being a twist, Shaoji insisting that he's the most normal dude ever in the livestream pretty much outright says that he is not at all ordinary, but man the nature of that twist was so god-damn interesting. I really want to know what he is and how much of what he told us is actually the truth. Some of the backstory of Penacony he told us sounds believable on paper as it also lines up with what's "hidden" inside the Hanu books, but who knows!
He's connected to the Something Unto Death and kind of came across villainous in the scene with Sunday, but at the same time not really (at the end of the day he's sending Sunday to Robin).

Sunday was also very interesting. He's giving off religious zealot/inquisitor vibes. I found it interesting that he genuinely seemed to believe "Death" in the dreamscape was real and Robin actually died. Either he's a great actor or he's being played too by someone even higher up the chain. Great stuff.

Which then leads us to "Death". I found the death scenes of 2.0 the weakest parts of the story there, because the concept of "what does death mean in a dream" hadn't really been well established at that point. I kinda get it, because it's a big part of the mystery in 2.1 and I find the entire thing incredibly interesting conceptually, but it does leave the 2.0 scenes kinda muddy unfortunately.

The dreamworld has pretty much been likened to an ocean a few times, with for example the loading screens whenever you switch between dream and reality, the whales swimming around and gravity being weird when you first enter until the "Harmony" stabilizes you, implying we're "diving" into the dreamworld.
The Penacony dreamworld we know is just a small area close to the surface but below there is still the whole deep-sea. "Death" is one way to make you dive down further into that part of the dreamworld is what Aventurine has proven in the end - he looked at sleep as a "rehearsal for death", which can be taken as death being a deeper sleep, so sinking deeper down into the big ocean that is the dream.
The Family doesn't want this though, so they have built a "net" that normally catches people that sink down that far via "Death" and just sends them all the way up instead (waking up). But Acheron and Something Unto Death are apparently so strong that when they kill you in the dream, they shred that net and "sink" you without the Family being able to intercept.

I'm super curious about how this will continue. There are soooo many potentially interesting plot threads going on and being set up. Robin and Sunday will meet up in the deep dream. Firefly will probably take us there too. Boothill is gonna arrive and possibly clash with Acheron. Aventurine is gonna do things. The IPC has a fleet ready to take over Penacony. The Watchmaker and Gallagher. Sparkle being a wild-card running around in the background still. And probably way more.

Also we randomly got a Jade design reveal and goddammit I need her. Suddenly this game makes me want to collect all the IPC characters 😰
And I swear, if we don't get Cornerstone transformation forms for all the Stonehearts over the course of the game my disappointment will be immeasurable.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Well, now I'm torn on if I want to go for Eidolons or fold now and start saving for Fu Xuan rerun.
Fu Xuan definitely. Strongest tank in the game so far. More importantly, one of the top 2-3 solo sustain characters in the game.

Prydwen did their usual testing with Acheron's lightcones and concluded that the signature does 25% more damage than S5 GNSW. And 40% more than S5 Fermata, which is really the baseline if you talk about free to play weapons. One would need to be super lucky to have S5 GNSW before this banner.

Some useful information for Acheron havers...

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019

2.1 BILLION damage what the actual fuck is this girl doing o_O

Mihoyo playing favourites with Raiden confirmed.

• Sweating

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
This video popped up in my Youtube feed. A street performer playing Samudrartha on a traditional Chinese instrument in front of the Eiffel Tower. Street performer is perhaps not fair as she is clearly a couple of levels exponentially higher than a regular one but yeah... And as far as I can tell, this was not sponsored by Mihoyo although they totally should track her down IMO.

This really was one of the best moments of the Xianzhou story. And the performance is sublime.

She actually has a channel with a lot of other videos of her. Here's another example of her incredible talent

I've sadly fallen off this game and Genshin. Extreme sickness in the last week or so was the final straw. Last thing I did was pull for Acheron and I was not happy with the gear I had for her so I continued farming until I just stopped. I haven't done the trailblazer quest or any events that have happened since. I don't know what kind of impetus it'll take to get me back to the game now :(. It doesn't help that summer is in full flow here and I'd rather lie in bed in my airconditioned bedroom playing something on the Steam deck instead of sitting in the office room without AC in front of the PC. Unfortunate situation.

• Love

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I got Aventurine and his LC in ~150 pulls. With starglitter, that means I'm at around 200 pulls left. I'd love to get his E2, but I hate having zero currency so I'm going to hold off and if I really want it I can get it when he re-runs.

I'm skipping Boothill and Robin, and I'm pretty sure I'll be passing on Sam as well. I'd like to grab Topaz's LC next, and then Jiaoqui.

Reactions: Gevin and Ascheroth

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I got Aventurine and his LC in ~150 pulls. With starglitter, that means I'm at around 200 pulls left.
You get every other character and their LC and you're always at 200-300 tickets left. This is very fishy :unsure: . You're a hidden whale aren't you :p

Anyway, I came across this tweet the other day...

They actually release albums of the music they put into their trailers. I did not know this at all. I've actually enjoyed the music in quite a few of their trailers over the last year and I always used to go to the website and pull up the source to download the mp3 because I had no idea they were releasing them officially. These are a couple of my favourites...

This was the trailer that had Kafka, Blade, the expansion of the Xianzhou map and the first look at Imbibitor Lunae.

This was the trailer with Ruan Mei and Ratio. I'm convinced that they were just doing a random jam session with a bunch of instruments that absolutely do not go together and they ended up with this catchy beat.

I've said this before but it's worth repeating; I do not think there is any video game company out there that celebrates their artistry the way Mihoyo does.

With other companies you're never guaranteed to get a soundtrack release at all, anywhere, ever. Then you have Mihoyo who are like, "You know what? We release banger trailers every few weeks. Here's 2 albums full of our trailer music available for free on every streaming service in the world." This obviously in addition to their entire soundtracks of all their games with hundreds of tracks that are available everywhere.

How is it that this company understands the value of putting out their art into the world freely and Western companies are so completely clueless about it? They encourage fan art, cosplay, fan made music, trailers, everything. They have contests for fan submitted creations every month. The result of that is that my twitter feed is currently flooded with Arlecchino fan art and cosplays. And Acheron fan art. And that one insane trailer they put out a few weeks ago means I'm still seeing Acheron and Black Swan fan art. Yes, they're in the business of selling characters but all this brings so much attention to the games themselves. Meanwhile Western game studios... I mean, who would even want to make fan art of Western game characters. You see cosplay twice a year when they have conventions or something. Meanwhile you open the Hoyolab app and every page has someone trying cosplay of some character on a daily basis. The difference in the philosophies when it come to advertising their products is staggering honestly.

• Sweating
OP
Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Yeah, they release all of their stuff everywhere for free. Songs, concerts (speeking of those, there is gonna be one May 1st :blobeyes: ), etc. Constant off-line events around the worlds, etc.
Hell, you can even download the character 3D models for free to use them in fanworks!
It's pretty dang great.

The difference between that and how western devs approach things is definitely quite interesting.
I think the best guess I have is simply that Mihoyo is a private company founded and still run by weebs and gamers.

Last edited:

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
You get every other character and their LC and you're always at 200-300 tickets left. This is very fishy :unsure: . You're a hidden whale aren't you :p
I wish! If I was a whale I'd have E2 Acheron and Aventurine! :crying-face:

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019

So they're going with Firefly as the 'main' and not Sam. And she's Fire-Destruction. First in the game since Pitch-Dark Hook the Great.

Anyone taking bets she's going to powercreep Jing Liu?