|OT| Horizon Zero Dawn - You Have My Bow

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It is really weird to see such disparity between Durante and Dictator and while both reviews are AMAZING in content, I will test for myself before giving an opinion, too bad it's so mixing cause' this could have been a fucking amazing release and here's hope it is.
Neither review really seems to contradict the other. I just feel Dictator is going into much deeper detail on the side of performance, especially for configurations which aren't running 600$+ GPUs.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Neither review really seems to contradict the other. I just feel Dictator is going into much deeper detail on the side of performance, especially for configurations which aren't running 600$+ GPUs.
mine is a 900$ GPU :coffee-blob:

/jk

• Eyes
Reactions: Trisolarian

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I mean, nothing, nothing can excuse the 1080p GTX1060 performance.
Dictator maybe your GPU is dying? There's some glitches in the video, which you also bring attention to. Have you tried changing to stock clocks?

Reactions: ISee and Swenhir

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I mean, nothing, nothing can excuse the 1080p GTX1060 performance.
Dictator maybe your GPU is dying? There's some glitches in the video, which you also bring attention to. Have you tried changing to stock clocks?
According to PCGH.de a 1060 is running the game at 23-25fps on ultra settings.
The most confusing part is that a GTX 1080Ti is able to hold up to a 2070S and 5700XT, as you'd expect.

Maybe memory bandwidth related issue?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
According to PCGH.de a 1060 is running the game at 23-25fps on ultra settings.
The most confusing part is that a GTX 1080Ti is able to hold up to a 2070S and 5700XT, as you'd expect.

Maybe memory bandwidth related issue?
Could be bandwidth, could also be capacity.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Hmm,
GTX 1660S is running 35% faster than the GTX 1060.

6GB Vram for both cards.
336 GB/s memory bandwidth for the 1660S
192 GB/s memory bandwidth for the 1060

Of course a 1660S is always about 30% faster than a GTX 1060. But maybe there is a certain minimum bandwidth threshold that the game demands before it can properly utilize a GPU? But than we wouldn't see full GPU utilization on a GTX 1060.

I don't know. It's strange.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
my best comparison for this is odyssey, due to the amount of grass trees lod etc, which all seem better detailed than in ody too,

obviously we can see things vary between different places for horizon between ps4/pc. but even at ps4 settings the detail and qualklity is far higher than that of ody (pcmaxed)

i also want to add something none of the horizon screens can show and thats dynamic foliage for when you move through it etc, the ps4 base version only had dynamic for the tall grass parts because its gameplay required, where as the pc versions does this for all grass.

in no way am i trying to hide if the port is fully optimized etc but we all know how crap ody perfs and in comparison looks alot worse too.
I kept saying it while I was playing Odyssey, the game looks ugly at times, especially when you're looking at faraway places. It's mostly due to the low grass LOD and pretty ugly ground LOD and some of the textures like rocks. You can easily notice it even in max settings on some of the most popular screenshots on Steam page like this one.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I think I'll still try my luck with this game if I get some birthday money next week.

I have an i7 6700k + GTX1080, hopefully I'll manage to make it run at around 50-60 fps at 1440p. I hope Gsync will help as well.

Reactions: ISee

Dictator

MetaMember
Feb 17, 2019
I really feel like Alex is overstating his case there.
The game is easily one of the best-looking foliage-rich open world games with full day/night cycle that exists at this point. Yes, it could probably perform better, but I also feel like it's far from the disaster he paints. Could it perform better with more optimization? Most likely, yes, but the same is true to varying extents for every game ever made. The extent is probably a bit larger in this one than some others, but hardly catastrophic.

I'd also like to make a remark on 4k performance. The PS4 Pro runs the game at a pretty decent 30 FPS (not 100%, but also not with very frequent drops) at checkerboarded 4k30. That's 1/4 of the shaded pixels needed for native 4k at 60 FPS on PC. With the "Original" settings, I measured 62 FPS average and 54 FPS in the 1% lows on a 2080ti. Now, obviously that's a very different architecture, but my 2080ti runs at clocks in this game which put it at ~15 TFLops, and a PS4 Pro has 4.2 TFlops. 15/4 is 3.75, quite a bit less than 4.2, so if it uses the 2080ti's potential hardware performance about as well as the PS4 Pro's, then it's pretty understandable that it won't hold 60 FPS at native 4k quite as well as the PS4 Pro holds 30 FPS at checkerboarded 4k.

Dictator any thoughts on that comparison (which I realize is very rough, but I still feel somewhat applicable)?
I think my review was harsh and it is due to a difference of focus. I think my focus here in comparison to your article was on different aspects which gave a much more negative overall picture as a result. Your perspective was on pure scaling metrics on your GPU and CPU for the settings with different thread counts and such. My focus was on mid range GPU performance, quality of life issues, performance scaling visavis consoles, and frametime health in a vsyncd situation. For example: frame health and the ability to lock framerate. I know when we were talking about the game and how you helped me figure out the PCI-E issue (so grateful) that you were doing your CPU measurements without vsync in place in a CPU limited set up. You show the game's scaling in a pure way that I did not do.

In my video I want to get across the smoothness of gameplay and the ability to lock a game down, like your alchemy of smoothness article way back for the witcher 3.

The inability to get the smoothness of frame rate at 30 fps or 60 fps extremely soured my outlook on the game right at the beginning most definitely. That is unrelated to the idea of trying to achieve a gpu limited 4K 60 or something as that smoothness issue with the stutters or vsync dropping occurs at settings where the GPU is undersatured. In this video I actually did not even talk about what my end raw performance was without stutters on the RTX 2080 Ti because it was not the large problem I found in the porting effort here. I do not get upset if a game cannot do 4K 60 or something by an arbitrary metric on an arbitrary GPU on arbitary settings. I get that a game will run different than another game on the same engine. So the point about checkerboarding you say there stands and makes sense, it is also not what I focused on for the video here.

The one thing I expect in a console game coming to PC is a much more consistent scaling across GPU hardware in comparison to the consoles, and especially with the base PS4's performance here in mind. We know the console settings due to GG saying what they are and from just looking at them in comparison to the PC version, "Original settings" in this case but with the ground looking different in an unexplainable way. We know the base PS4 GPU with its shared 176GB/s bandwidth (where the usage of the memory for non-graphics resources disproportionately lowers total bandwidth) and 1.84 TF of rather old GCN is getting a really great non-stuttery 30 fps at 1080p. In other game's we see a similar situation of 1080p 30 console settings translating in an expected way across to cards like the GTX 1060, RX 580 or GTX 1080Ti, or Vega 64. HZD on PC is not showing that at all and I think that is not right.

This is where our reviews differ and mine comes of so much harsher. I most definitely do not want anyone to think I have unrealistic ideas about this game needing to be 4K/60 or something regardless of hardware, rather I want it to scale as expected in comparison to PC GPUs or even CPUs like we see in the vast majority of other games. I have been doing this whole "find the console settings and test it on the RX 580/GTX 1060 thing)"for too long at this point and it honestly grates on me. But each time I find out that those games targeting 1080p 30 and even getting GPU related drops at 1080p on a console like the PS4 scale in a rather similar away across to these GPUs. The biggest example we had was with Red Dead Redemption 2 for example, which showed that off really well. HZD is not scaling in the rather universal expected way across to PC GPU hardware. When I saw that with the stuttering and the quality of life issues I just htink we are looking at an overly raw port that ignores too much of the user base for scaling. I think it deserves better for the midrange users and not required the latest Turing GPU or RDNA GPU to see more proper scaling.

I think the GameGPU benchmark out there puts it into great perspective. The GTX 1080Ti or Vega64 there are not scaling like we would imagine in comparison to the base PS4 or the PS4Pro.

This was a bit rambly, so sorry about that!

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The inability to get the smoothness of frame rate at 30 fps or 60 fps extremely soured my outlook on the game right at the beginning most definitely.
You don't need me to tell you that but given that you were criticized for it, I believe it's fair game to speak otherwise : I think this alone was more than reason enough to have the negative outlook that you had. Any game shipping with regularly-occuring stutters, so large that they can't be called "micro" would be criticized for this exact reason. Fallen Order comes to mind as a recent example. You were completely justified in the criticism of that documented, proven flaw in the port.

Countless other multiplatform releases ran great on hardware that does not cost an arm. The base line for a 1080p/60fps experience is abnormally higher than it had any right to be, especially for such a symbolic and high-profile release. I, for one, am thankful for your focus on the what the majority and the less-fortunate people will experience.

Going for the lowest bidder was Sony's mistake.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I strongly believe that a good port should run as good on PC hardware as on "similar" console hardware.
But the stutters are the most troubling part for me too. And sorry Swenhir , micro stutters are just as bad imo.

I'm not even sure money was the factor for Sony to go with Virtuos Games. After all they helped out with the "original" HZD on PS4. Maybe they thought a team with experience was a good choice? Maybe it wasn't even cheap?

On paper the HZD port has everything that a good port needs. Unlocked frame rates, settings below and above the original version, lot's of settings, FOV slider, a benchmark, key mapping. screenshots explaining what each setting does. Somebody knew what needs to be done.

Side note does it really unlock in like 3.5 hours?
Yes.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
But the stutters are the most troubling part for me too. And sorry Swenhir , micro stutters are just as bad imo.
Oh absolutely! It's just that these are even more in your face than micro-stutters are. They can't be explained away or fixed by using an SSD. They have little other solution than poneying up the dough. Stutters are a curse in general and a hallmark of either a dodgy port or an exceptionally demanding game.

Given that HZD ran on a PS4 smoothly, only the former explanation remains.

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
Oh absolutely! It's just that these are even more in your face than micro-stutters are. They can't be explained away or fixed by using an SSD. They have little other solution than poneying up the dough. Stutters are a curse in general and a hallmark of either a dodgy port or an exceptionally demanding game.

Given that HZD ran on a PS4 smoothly, only the former explanation remains.
thing is not everyone ive spoken too thats been testing this port (i know 2 people who have been since feb) havent had the micro stutters at all

Reactions: Shahem and Prodigy

Dictator

MetaMember
Feb 17, 2019
DF documented, recorded and showed their existence on many configurations and graphics card. I don't know what to tell you.
GG also confirmed the stuttering issue on their steam pin.
Some systems may experience a brief stutter during general world traversal, UI updates, quest updates, or camera swaps in cutscenes. This is a high priority issue for us to investigate.

OP

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
yes i know im just saying i know people who have been testing and didnt experience the issue at all,

the joys of pcgaming people can exact same set up and have two entirely different experiences

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
yes i know im just saying i know people who have been testing and didnt experience the issue at all,

the joys of pcgaming people can exact same set up and have two entirely different experiences
thats exactly what I keep thinking. I'll see how it runs for me instead of relying on reports of others. I've had games that run perfectly fine for me that run horribly for lots of other users.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
We’re confident PC players will fall in love with Aloy and her world. Then, when Horizon Forbidden West arrives for PlayStation 5 and it’s time to find out where Aloy’s journey takes her next, we invite them to join along!

It has been a plot to make us buy a console 🤯
A trojan, mechanical horse.

:toucan:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
It has been a plot to make us buy a console 🤯
A trojan, mechanical horse.

:toucan:
This is exactly what I expected notoucan.

It’s virtually advertising.

tinfoil: PS5 will cost so much they know their target audience is more gaming PC level price.

• Toucan

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Hope this game gets some post-release support to try to even out the stuttering. Overall performance (in terms of scaling on GPU with lower bandwith) might not be easy to "fix" if the game has been designed heavily around the console architecture and they didn't have the time to revamp it to work better on PC. It's true that Death Stranding was better in this regards, but we can't really look into what's going on inside the engine. Perhaps it's simply due to the overworld in DS being overall more barren, thus all the issues that come up with Horizon are non-issues for DS.

Ultimately just makes the case that you really want an engine to properly and officially support each of your target platforms, since you can't realistically expect a mere port to rewrite half the engine the game is written in. I mean, it's amazing if a team ever puts that much work into the porting process, but it's seldom the case for PC ports, I feel.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I'm still at prolog (before time skip) and I can get a stable 72fps (that's my monitor max refresh rate) with Alex's recommended settings.

Ryzen 3600, 2060S, and 16GB RAM.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I get more FPS looking at the baby lol

Thanks ISee

Does aim assist work with KBM?

Yep game runs like SHIT. 2 FPS to 59 FPS.do I need to what limit it to 2? I haven't even got to gameplay yet. Missing shit in cutscene is so bad. I didn't even knew she fell lol

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Ultimately just makes the case that you really want an engine to properly and officially support each of your target platforms, since you can't realistically expect a mere port to rewrite half the engine the game is written in. I mean, it's amazing if a team ever puts that much work into the porting process, but it's seldom the case for PC ports, I feel.
That is true, but in this case it's far from involving rewriting half the engine. I really get the impression that little effort was spent in optimization there.

Reactions: lashman and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I'm getting around 80-100 fps on my 2080Ti at 1440p/ultra so far. But it is the starting area, so....

There are small stutters when the UI updates.

The game is beautiful by the way:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Game is around 45-55fps on my 2070 at 1440p using max settings save for clouds on medium. It's not great especially after the locked 60fps of Death Stranding but it's definitely playable. Part of me wants to shelve the game for now until I get my RTX 3070.